M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Strange Error

11-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #1
Azlar
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M8C

Strange Error

Hi All,

I opened my bonnet a few days ago ( for the first time ) to get some leaves out that had dropped down from the windscreen. Anyhow, I dropped the bonnet shut and thought all was well. I drove the car the next morning and the bonnet open alarm went off, I noticed it hadn't quite shut on the right hand side ( still don't get how crap the bonnet close is on these cars ), I popped it and 'helped' it shut. This time it was fully closed both sides and no alarm or error in the car.

However, the connected drive app has now reported the bonnet open since then. Shows a warning but then also says the bonnet is closed.

Has anyone seen this before ? I have deleted the app and re-installed it but still the same. I check on my PC and it also shows the error.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 06:00 PM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
From what I can tell the car sends info to the Connected "cloud" on startup and shutdown. I'm assuming you've driven the car at least once since you properly closed the hood (aka bonnet)? You might want to try starting the car and then opening/closing the hood to the proper seal and take it for a quick drive. Hopefully when you shut it off when you're back home it will sync the proper data to the cloud.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2020, 06:07 PM   #3
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
From what I can tell the car sends info to the Connected "cloud" on startup and shutdown. I'm assuming you've driven the car at least once since you properly closed the hood (aka bonnet)? You might want to try starting the car and then opening/closing the hood to the proper seal and take it for a quick drive. Hopefully when you shut it off when you're back home it will sync the proper data to the cloud.
^this ^

There is also a whole tread about how to fix the hood close problem we all have. Slam it hard on both hands, or use the tool to adjust the latches.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 01:18 AM   #4
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

The bonnet has 2 catches, unlike most cars which just have 1.

You have to slam it pretty hard to close it on both sides - it's a common annoyance!

M
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 03:44 PM   #5
Azlar
Private
England
Rep

Quote:
Just the job Blooze, thanks. I had driven it a number of times but hadn't opened and closed the bonnet whilst the engine was running. Strange how the car updates the information but the 'cloud' doesn't.

Res + M, I remember my M850i was actually worse than my new M8, I will indeed adjust the brackets. Thanks both for your replies .
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 05:41 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlar View Post
Just the job Blooze, thanks. I had driven it a number of times but hadn't opened and closed the bonnet whilst the engine was running. Strange how the car updates the information but the 'cloud' doesn't.

Res + M, I remember my M850i was actually worse than my new M8, I will indeed adjust the brackets. Thanks both for your replies .
Glad that did the job as if it didn't you probably would have had to take it to the dealer to sort out the issue. Ironically I received the "low coolant" alert the other day (have updated that thread) and the Connected Drive app does not show that at all which I would have thought that it would. I just checked the reservoirs and once again was surprised at how smoothly the hood closes on my M850i vs most owners having to slam it, etc. to get a proper seal.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 06:08 PM   #7
Dr.T
Rep
Drives: M850i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlar View Post

Glad that did the job as if it didn't you probably would have had to take it to the dealer to sort out the issue. Ironically I received the "low coolant" alert the other day (have updated that thread) and the Connected Drive app does not show that at all which I would have thought that it would. I just checked the reservoirs and once again was surprised at how smoothly the hood closes on my M850i vs most owners having to slam it, etc. to get a proper seal.
Don't worry about it. There's a delay with the connected drive app
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 08:14 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.T View Post
Don't worry about it. There's a delay with the connected drive app
Yes, it's a delay in the way the car only talks to the "cloud" on startup and shutdown. Apparently, the OP's car was not properly syncing the status so opening/closing the hood after startup and having it sync at shutdown sync'd the appropriate data.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 01:20 PM   #9
Azlar
Private
England
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it's a delay in the way the car only talks to the "cloud" on startup and shutdown. Apparently, the OP's car was not properly syncing the status so opening/closing the hood after startup and having it sync at shutdown sync'd the appropriate data.
You are correct Blooze, I drive the car daily to work and the error was still showing 4 days after originally opening the bonnet. I had also opened and closed it 2 or 3 times to make sure it was properly shut but still the message.

Only after I followed your advice and did it whilst the engine was running did it finally clear the fault.

Appreciate 0