M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Apologies to the M6 Comp Owner

11-05-2020, 07:24 PM   #1
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Apologies to the M6 Comp Owner

As posted a few times I only have a couple of dozen launch controls under my belt with the M850i as my fun comes in the way of rolling races especially on the freeway onramps here in the metropolitan area. Today a M6 Comp owner played ball as we both jockeyed, i.e., passed cars to get to the front of a 2 lane left hand turn onto a freeway onramp this afternoon. I'm sure to his/her surprise the M850i won the race to the top of the onramp which merges into one lane for freeway entry.

I actually had the disadvantage as I was in the outside lane (right hand lane) of the double double left hand turn onto the onramp. I'll chalk it up the the seemingly endless torque of the N63 as when I could stomp the accelerator pedal to the floor the M6 was about a quarter car length ahead on the onramp. Everything else is basically a blur including my 94 MPH speed limit warning "gong" going off prior to the top of the ramp and merging into the single lane. The M6 was at least a car length behind.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 11-05-2020 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 2
Belugs318.00
HotRodM4684.00
      11-05-2020, 08:36 PM   #2
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Interesting! Doesn't the last M6 have the same 750Nm torque with 600hp (at least the comp)
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 09:39 AM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
Interesting! Doesn't the last M6 have the same 750Nm torque with 600hp (at least the comp)
Checked the specs on the last M6 Comp coupe and definitely 600HP but less torque than the N63. Plus, I may have just gotten lucky as well with a little hesitation on the other drivers part once we hit the ramp. I have a lot of practice with that onramp.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 11-06-2020 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
Neptune71432.50
      11-06-2020, 10:06 AM   #4
Footman614
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

I think anyone that drives a fast car can relate to your story and have plenty of their own. I remember driving home from golf a few years ago in my Cayman GTS. The highway I was on was not busy and the music I was listening to was great. I got a little adventurous and hit the gas. I got up to 130mph, a personal record speed. I wrote about it on the Porsche forum, not beating my chest, but just telling my story from a Porsche performance standpoint. To my surprise, I got a lot of negative comments and was even threatened by forum moderators that they don't stand for these type of posts. In retrospect, I guess they were right. The one comment that really made me think was the fact that if you get caught at speeds like I was doing, It results in an instant arrest on the spot and possible license suspension. Not to generalize socioeconomics but the people who drive expensive and fast cars, stand to lose a lot in their lives.
Iv'e been involved with "spirited" play on the road a few times. It gave me a little adrenalin rush, a feeling that sometimes can cause some irrational behavior. I must say, in each of those instances, my thoughts afterwards was the fact that I just did something that could have ruined both myself and family's life. This is not an editorial against bloozemanAZ. He is a good person who has offered me guidance on several occations.
Just to emphasize, we drive nice cars, and have worked hard to acheive the lives we have. We must think twice, (myself included) when thinking we are Super Mario on public roads
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 11:41 AM   #5
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

How did you know it was a comp? There are no badges to tell via that model.

Back then there was one unique model called the Competition Edition- it had those glorious or not so much, red, white, and blue stripes and badging. But the normal Competition Series (it was a package then and not model iteration) didnt have discerning badges.

Edit: and I can totally see you winning as the cars are not extremely off in power/tq. He who has the best jump; may he win.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black

Last edited by Vic55; 11-06-2020 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 02:27 PM   #6
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post

Back then there was one unique model called the Competition Edition- it had those glorious or not so much, red, white, and blue stripes and badging. But the normal Competition Series (it was a package then and not model iteration) didnt have discerning badges.

Edit: and I can totally see you winning as the cars are not extremely off in power/tq. He who has the best jump; may he win.
Don't the comp cars have black badges vs chrome?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 08:45 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I was basing the M6 being a Competition as when we were jockeying for the front spots on the left hand turn to the onramp I was behind him/her initially and the car had the signature black quad exhaust tips.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 09:38 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footman614 View Post
I think anyone that drives a fast car can relate to your story and have plenty of their own. I remember driving home from golf a few years ago in my Cayman GTS. The highway I was on was not busy and the music I was listening to was great. I got a little adventurous and hit the gas. I got up to 130mph, a personal record speed. I wrote about it on the Porsche forum, not beating my chest, but just telling my story from a Porsche performance standpoint. To my surprise, I got a lot of negative comments and was even threatened by forum moderators that they don't stand for these type of posts. In retrospect, I guess they were right. The one comment that really made me think was the fact that if you get caught at speeds like I was doing, It results in an instant arrest on the spot and possible license suspension. Not to generalize socioeconomics but the people who drive expensive and fast cars, stand to lose a lot in their lives.
Iv'e been involved with "spirited" play on the road a few times. It gave me a little adrenalin rush, a feeling that sometimes can cause some irrational behavior. I must say, in each of those instances, my thoughts afterwards was the fact that I just did something that could have ruined both myself and family's life. This is not an editorial against bloozemanAZ. He is a good person who has offered me guidance on several occations.
Just to emphasize, we drive nice cars, and have worked hard to acheive the lives we have. We must think twice, (myself included) when thinking we are Super Mario on public roads
I absolutely agree as having fun in our performance cars should never put anybody's life at risk whatsoever. As I've posted several times my 2 to 3 times a week performance drive puts me on the desert backroads with often nary another car in sight. That said I do enjoy flexing the M850i on the various freeway onramps I encounter on my errand runs, etc.

Yesterday's fun involved the freeway ramp on my way home from the grocery store. Further detail is the ramp itself is about an eight of a mile long before it merges into a single lane. More so the single lane is actually the same lane for the next exit on the freeway which is what I stay on to get home. It all took place at about 2:30 pm which is well outside of even the COVID-19 "rush hour" but needless to say if there were other cars on the northbound onramp when the M6 and I entered it nothing would have taken place whatsoever. Also, as I hit the the merge point to the single lane I was completely paying attention to the adjacent freeway lane and there was no cars in it whatsoever.

That said you are spot on in regards to excessive speed triggering a loss of license, etc. Here in AZ the statute classifies it as "criminal speeding". I've posted a few times about it but basically anything 20 MPH over the posted speed limit classifies along with 85 MPH as the absolute limit on our rural 75 MPH freeways. However, it is a moving violation which will results in a ticket vs instant arrest but as it plays out in court the expectation is the loss of a drivers license for a year. The caveat being that there is no PSL on the freeway onramps in my area. So the risk takes place as I hit the freeway itself and once again I'm 100% diligent to my surroundings (plus my V1Gen2 and JBV1 app which incorporates real-time Waze API integration, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 10:03 PM   #9
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

Apology accepted
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 10:15 PM   #10
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
I absolutely agree as having fun in our performance cars should never put anybody's life at risk whatsoever. As I've posted several times my 2 to 3 times a week performance drive puts me on the desert backroads with often nary another car in sight. That said I do enjoy flexing the M850i on the various freeway onramps I encounter on my errand runs, etc.

Yesterday's fun involved the freeway ramp on my way home from the grocery store. Further detail is the ramp itself is about an eight of a mile long before it merges into a single lane. More so the single lane is actually the same lane for the next exit on the freeway which is what I stay on to get home. It all took place at about 2:30 pm which is well outside of even the COVID-19 "rush hour" but needless to say if there were other cars on the northbound onramp when the M6 and I entered it nothing would have taken place whatsoever. Also, as I hit the the merge point to the single lane I was completely paying attention to the adjacent freeway lane and there was no cars in it whatsoever.

That said you are spot on in regards to excessive speed triggering a loss of license, etc. Here in AZ the statute classifies it as "criminal speeding". I've posted a few times about it but basically anything 20 MPH over the posted speed limit classifies along with 85 MPH as the absolute limit on our rural 75 MPH freeways. However, it is a moving violation which will results in a ticket vs instant arrest but as it plays out in court the expectation is the loss of a drivers license for a year. The caveat being that there is no PSL on the freeway onramps in my area. So the risk takes place as I hit the freeway itself and once again I'm 100% diligent to my surroundings (plus my V1Gen2 and JBV1 app which incorporates real-time Waze API integration, etc.).
For legal purposes, all of these events took place outside the USA in locations in or around Mexico.

Launching 0 to 60 is perfectly legal on most roads. Triple digits only occur in Mexico.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 10:20 PM   #11
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's also creating a competition. Someone might feel compelled to get to 140 mph to "beat you", etc. that can be a big issue. Also they can't condone illegal activities. Technically anything over the limit is illegal; but in reality it's triple digits that people really get nervous.

Anyone that aids or assists in helping your post about high speed Porsche or such, could technically be charged with aiding and abetting criminal activity. While rare, it's more likely that they don't want some underground race club to start. If you're group meets every Friday night at 10 pm and races 140+ mph; the authorities can technically shut down any computers, servers or websites relating to it.

Again, rarely happens but it's possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 10:53 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
For legal purposes, all of these events took place outside the USA in locations in or around Mexico.

Launching 0 to 60 is perfectly legal on most roads. Triple digits only occur in Mexico.
Exactly and to the point all events took place in Frontera Sonora and all parties involved will forever remain anonymous.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 11:54 PM   #13
Footman614
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

Good point Resjudicata about aiding and abetting on the Porsche forum. I guess that's why they came down hard on me. I did get a couple of private messages showing support of my dumb move.....
Drive Safe!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 10:25 AM   #14
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good point Resjudicata about aiding and abetting on the Porsche forum. I guess that's why they came down hard on me. I did get a couple of private messages showing support of my dumb move.....
Drive Safe!!!!
Yeah, sorry to ruin the party.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 03:56 PM   #15
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

AWD is the difference. My last tuned M6 made 728hp but would get wheel spin at 90mph in 3rd. And if you want a fair fight try chasing down a M8 (not my 750hp beast either)

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 1
jjasonSU194.00
      11-07-2020, 04:59 PM   #16
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
While rare, it's more likely that they don't want some underground race club to start. If you're group meets every Friday night at 10 pm and races 140+ mph; the authorities can technically shut down any computers, servers or websites relating to it.

This is a great point as for the past year there has been a significant amount of street racing in my metro area to the point the police formed a task unit to crack down on them. The state legislature is trying to get a bill passed that will significant increase the penalties for anyone caught participating.

From the news articles I've read they use social media to coordinate the events and keep moving them around the various areas. What is truly concerning is that the do a lot on the surface streets and use a portion of the group to block the intersections while the event is underway.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 11-08-2020 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2020, 05:17 PM   #17
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
AWD is the difference. My last tuned M6 made 728hp but would get wheel spin at 90mph in 3rd. And if you want a fair fight try chasing down a M8 (not my 750hp beast either)

Noushy
Agreed on the AWD being the greatest difference if it truly was a M6 Comp vs a M6. I love the AWD on the M850i as well as the active rear steering which also has been nothing but beneficial so far.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2020, 10:04 PM   #18
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
While rare, it's more likely that they don't want some underground race club to start. If you're group meets every Friday night at 10 pm and races 140+ mph; the authorities can technically shut down any computers, servers or websites relating to it.

This is a great point as for the past year there has been a significant amount of street racing in my metro area to the point the police formed a task unit to crack down on them. The state legislature is trying to get a bill passed that will significant increase the penalties for anyone caught participating.

From the news articles I've read they use social media to coordinate the events and keep moving them around the various areas. What is truly concerning is that the do a lot on the surface streets and us a portion of the group to block the intersections while the event is underway.
Yep. I'll be honest as a kid over 2 decades ago, we would gather at our spot and some of the cars would block the road while others raced down it. It's not surprising people are still doing it.

In Virginia it's been a law for over 100 years that street racing adds 1 yr in jail and a $2500 fine to any speeding charges.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 11:18 PM   #19
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Quote:

I was basing the M6 being a Competition as when we were jockeying for the front spots on the left hand turn to the onramp I was behind him/her initially and the car had the signature black quad exhaust tips.
M6 competition is lowered and its sport exhaust is black tipped compared to non competition M6
      11-11-2020, 06:48 AM   #20
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Here in NC street racing can result in forfeiting the vehicles.

As for the OP, since you had the outside lane, you actually were at an advantage, since you can go faster in a wider turn than you can in a tighter turn, and you can go full throttle sooner.

These new cars are so powerful and so fast, that the difference can easily be (as mentioned earlier) reaction time and as always, quality/wear of the tires.

I don't street race any more. I keep thinking of that youtube clip of the two Corvettes street racing, and one loses traction and hits the other.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 02:45 PM   #21
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

M6 competition has dark exhaust
      11-18-2020, 08:23 PM   #22
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
M6 competition has dark exhaust
Yes, and called that out as to why I figured it was a M6 competition.
Appreciate 0