M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion iDrive Upgrade To 07/2020

11-20-2020, 09:00 PM   #1
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
iDrive Upgrade To 07/2020

I'm joining the 07/2020 club as when I dropped off the M850i at the dealer this morning for the "low coolant" alert (separate thread on that) plus the 12 month service I asked for the iDrive update. My SA was happy to do the 12 month service early (they have had that done on my wife's X5 twice) but did initially balk at the iDrive update stating the warranty coverage angle for that work.

As planned, I explained that it includes new features and explained the addition of Android Auto as well as the enhanced navigation and Assistant features which BMW stated are available for all iDrive 7 systems regardless of build date. No surprise he wasn't aware of that whatsoever. However, also as expected no static once I explained it all given the dealership's focus on total customer satisfaction. Ultimately he just wrote down that the customer requested Android Auto on the work order and had me initial the line.

I'm guessing most dealers have a similar feature to update work status on a dropped off vehicle via a text message service that includes a link to a portal to watch the overall status as it progresses. By the time I got home with the loaner (brand new X7) I already received a notice outlining the service items to be completed which included the iDrive update. Mid afternoon I received an update that the programming had been completed and the maintenance would be completed by 5pm. Final notice was the car is ready for pickup and the total bill at $20 (what my dealer charges to cover overhead, gas and OEM glass coverage for loaners).

I'm going to use the X7 to run a bunch of errands in the morning and pick up the M850i before the service area closes at 2pm. I'm not sure with what version of 07/2020 they installed but I'm definitely liking the fact that the remote 3D view now includes a decent rendering of the glorious Tanzanite Blue of the M850i vs the prior sliver/grey rendering. Plus, the fact that my dealer appropriately placed the car a parking spot away from any others. Nothing but a thumbs up for BMW North Scottsdale and the highest recommendation for anyone in the Phoenix Metropolitan area to use them for service.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      11-21-2020, 01:09 AM   #2
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

you had a much better experience than I've ever had at any of the ones in the DMV area out here near DC.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 02:07 AM   #3
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

It's great to hear all worked out well and regardless of a few imperfections that may arise from an update, I think adding some decent features, and ultimately technology for "free" to such an already expensive vehicle is the way to go if they keep coming. I was always prepared to sacrifice the amazing (exterior) sound for that.
As for the 3D view it's nice to see such details and the car spotting those beautiful V-Spoke 733 wheels in orbit grey. Actually if I was to buy a 2nd set of wheels the V733 and the V730 would be on the top of my list - staying 20" regardless of whether it's summer or winter.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2020, 08:46 AM   #4
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

Hey bloozemanAZ did you gain or lose any of the exhaust note with 07/2020?
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Bmw does not pay them for the update unless there is a problem. I always say issues with carplay and that covers it.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2020, 12:33 PM   #6
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

My experience is that dealers do it usually (other than in case of "problems") out of goodwill, especially when you point out to them that you bought such an expensive car and expect it to be up-to-date at least in its young life. We got it done with wife's G02. Initially the dealer stated they would only update the ECUs for enabling Android Auto but I told them to please flash complete car and they did just that. I got home and checked it myself via ESYS with latest data files to make sure they didn't bull.... me. All good. Same for my M850i I told the dealer there was a new software update (20-07-545) that the car didn't have and they flashed it completely (all ECUs). So I guess it's also a matter of insisting a bit and making a point. Right BMW does not pay them perhaps, but a complete flash does not require that much interaction once it runs, especially if you update more ECUs in one unique procedure.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2020, 06:15 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
It's great to hear all worked out well and regardless of a few imperfections that may arise from an update, I think adding some decent features, and ultimately technology for "free" to such an already expensive vehicle is the way to go if they keep coming. I was always prepared to sacrifice the amazing (exterior) sound for that.
As for the 3D view it's nice to see such details and the car spotting those beautiful V-Spoke 733 wheels in orbit grey. Actually if I was to buy a 2nd set of wheels the V733 and the V730 would be on the top of my list - staying 20" regardless of whether it's summer or winter.
So far so good in regards to bug free with the update but then again I really only drove the car home from the dealer so only time will tell if any surface. Truth be told the wheels are a rendering issue in the 3D view as the car has 728Ms in bi-color Orbit grey 20". The irony is that when the car showed up BMW had somehow put the the full Cerium version of the 728Ms on the car but thankfully my original build was still on the dealer's lot so they swapped the wheels for me. For whatever reason the 733s are not an option on the M850i coupe from the factory. Just checked the 2021 ordering guide and that is still the case.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2020, 06:22 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMdblU View Post
Hey bloozemanAZ did you gain or lose any of the exhaust note with 07/2020?
On the short drive home from the dealer (about 7 miles) I'd say no gain nor loss over the previous 11/2019.70 2020 update. I'm going to take it out on a performance drive tomorrow which will hopefully confirm at least the no loss aspect as I didn't expect a gain whatsoever with a 2020 release.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 06:36 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
Bmw does not pay them for the update unless there is a problem. I always say issues with carplay and that covers it.

Noushy
Definitely the easiest route to take given the outcome will likely just be an iDrive update to see if it "solves" the problem. I just wanted to confirm my belief in my dealer in regards to total customer satisfaction and hence the explanation regarding new features, etc. available to any existing iDrive 7 configuration. If they balked then it would have changed my view and ultimately the overall relationship moving forward.

The irony is I ran into my SA when I was picking up the car and he said that he hoped I enjoyed the new features of the software upgrade. I shared that I already was even though I didn't have the car yet by showing him the 3D view rendering in the car's true color vs. the sliver/grey of the previous release (had those in the 3D view gallery). I thanked him for getting the upgrade done as the 3D view rendering was a surprise vs the real features I was looking forward to.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 06:38 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My experience is that dealers do it usually (other than in case of "problems") out of goodwill, especially when you point out to them that you bought such an expensive car and expect it to be up-to-date at least in its young life. We got it done with wife's G02. Initially the dealer stated they would only update the ECUs for enabling Android Auto but I told them to please flash complete car and they did just that. I got home and checked it myself via ESYS with latest data files to make sure they didn't bull.... me. All good. Same for my M850i I told the dealer there was a new software update (20-07-545) that the car didn't have and they flashed it completely (all ECUs). So I guess it's also a matter of insisting a bit and making a point. Right BMW does not pay them perhaps, but a complete flash does not require that much interaction once it runs, especially if you update more ECUs in one unique procedure.
I ended up with 07/2020.60 so that appears to be the latest iDrive 7 build.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 06:41 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Agreed as "goodwill" equals total customer satisfaction. I didn't even need to point out the cost of the car but rather just the new features available. FYI that I ended up with 07/2020.60 which appears to be the latest iDrive 7 release.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 08:12 PM   #12
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
bloozemanAZ thanks for the newsy update. I received a notification in my app 10 days ago that 07/2020.54 was ready for upgrade.

Next time I started my car, the app download commenced. I've since downloaded the update to the phone app and am using in car WiFi to upgrade (recommended).

After 10 days I am at only 28% complete. Nothing I seem to do makes a difference, such as go for a very long drive, or refresh the WiFi connection. So I think you made the right move getting your dealer to upgrade it for you.

I will provide an update once the software has been upgraded, especially on the pressure wave pulsation sounds (we are not allowed to call it 'controlled backfire').
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 09:38 PM   #13
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
bloozemanAZ thanks for the newsy update. I received a notification in my app 10 days ago that 07/2020.54 was ready for upgrade.

Next time I started my car, the app download commenced. I've since downloaded the update to the phone app and am using in car WiFi to upgrade (recommended).

After 10 days I am at only 28% complete. Nothing I seem to do makes a difference, such as go for a very long drive, or refresh the WiFi connection. So I think you made the right move getting your dealer to upgrade it for you.

I will provide an update once the software has been upgraded, especially on the pressure wave pulsation sounds (we are not allowed to call it 'controlled backfire').
If memory serves you're on an older full release, e.g., 03/2020 or one of the 2019 variants. Hence, the download size for the 07/2020.54 should be pretty big (e.g. 2GB based on another forum member's posting whom OTA'd from 11/2019 to 07/2020). However, once on your phone with WiFi connected (recommended perhaps but the only way it works as far as I know) 30 minutes or so should transfer it to the car. Have you checked the update screen? When I did my OTA from 11/2019.55 to 11/2019.70 in June it gave a full update as to what step of the process it was in, etc.
Appreciate 1
JB_H9.00
      11-22-2020, 02:26 AM   #14
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I ended up with 07/2020.60 so that appears to be the latest iDrive 7 build.

Yes I thought there would be a couple of newer versions since mine was done but I have so far omitted it because a full flash will most likely erase my DME ECU flash tune. So I will leave it for now and update after a few more updates after which I will have the ECU tune flashed back. Next March at the latest I will have to go in for the 1st service so on that occasion I will ask to get everything done. I had already enabled some of the hidden stuff on mine so I shouldn't be missing anything worth of note.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 06:31 AM   #15
Azlar
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M8C

I think the new look 'remote view' was released on the version you have Blooze, 07/2020.60 as I have just updated mine to 07/2020.54 and still have the generic silver car.

This is unless you only get a silver image if you have individual paint.

I also wonder how long it will be until 11/2020 comes out. I only have 613 miles on my car so I am hoping it will be out by the time I hit 1200. This could be a while if we never get out of these damn lock downs.

Last edited by Azlar; 11-22-2020 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 07:58 AM   #16
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Thanks for the info!

Did you have any aftermarket coding? If so, I assume it remains the case that it's all reset to factory?

I have version 03/2020 and the car rendering is correct. Given my car is matte silver, though, it's tough to say for sure.

I had the car check for an upgrade yesterday—>nada.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 10:48 AM   #17
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post

Did you have any aftermarket coding? If so, I assume it remains the case that it's all reset to factory?
Also interested to know if you lost any coding.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 06:26 PM   #18
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlar View Post
I think the new look 'remote view' was released on the version you have Blooze, 07/2020.60 as I have just updated mine to 07/2020.54 and still have the generic silver car.

This is unless you only get a silver image if you have individual paint.

I also wonder how long it will be until 11/2020 comes out. I only have 613 miles on my car so I am hoping it will be out by the time I hit 1200. This could be a while if we never get out of these damn lock downs.
That may indeed be the case, i.e., .60 includes the color rendering for 3D view vs the stock silver. However, in my case I too have an Individual paint albeit a "serial" one available for the M850i Coupe at roughly half the cost of the normal Individual charge. When you log into the My BMW portal which should default to My BMW Garage does it show the correct color for your GC? If so technically there is no reason the 3D View cannot render the car's color correctly. If you end up with a 11/2020 when you need the 1200 mile service hopefully that solves it. Or just complain that Car Play is disconnecting and they likely will just upgrade to whatever the latest version is.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 06:36 PM   #19
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Thanks for the info!

I have version 03/2020 and the car rendering is correct. Given my car is matte silver, though, it's tough to say for sure.

I had the car check for an upgrade yesterday—>nada.
I still don't have any custom coding yet as I've been sitting on the fence as whether to try and do it myself via eSys or have it professionally done. Upside if I do it myself if any future iDrive upgrades wipe it out I can just easily reapply the custom coding. Just afraid of bricking my car which is a entirely different ball of wax with bricking a $1K or less router, switch, etc. that I have no issues with modding firmware on as if it bricks the device is easily replaceable.

I'm betting that the existing 3D Rendering with your 03/2020 release is just the stock silver everyone gets by default until now at least 07/2020.60 which changes the game. I would have thought that was just a feature added in 07/2020 itself but it sounds like it is point release specific as others still get the silver rendering.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      11-23-2020, 02:27 AM   #20
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I still don't have any custom coding yet as I've been sitting on the fence as whether to try and do it myself via eSys or have it professionally done. Upside if I do it myself if any future iDrive upgrades wipe it out I can just easily reapply the custom coding. Just afraid of bricking my car which is a entirely different ball of wax with bricking a $1K or less router, switch, etc. that I have no issues with modding firmware on as if it bricks the device is easily replaceable.

I'm betting that the existing 3D Rendering with your 03/2020 release is just the stock silver everyone gets by default until now at least 07/2020.60 which changes the game. I would have thought that was just a feature added in 07/2020 itself but it sounds like it is point release specific as others still get the silver rendering.
Coding via Esys is not as straightforward as it used to be.... You need an up-to-date launcher or an external system (e.g. EsysX) in order to properly DE-code all the CAFDs else you will not be able to see what you actually do. In fact you will not even know which ECU/parameter/function you are dealing with. So this implies purchasing a program that links to Esys and decodes the CAFDs.

For coding if you want to keep it easy without having to go the Esys/EsyX way, I suggest you take a look at a simple yet powerful APP like Bimmercode. All you need is an OBD bluetooth adapter and their app/license and you are set. It's very quick, user friendly to use and simple to understand. I mostly use Bimmercode (they also have an expert mode to get "deeper" into certain ECU parameters/functions) and turn to Esys only for flashing the complete car.

https://bimmercode.app/

This is used and mentioned a lot on Bimmerpost (on the other series forums) and there is a lot of information to be gathered. Just PM me if you need support or help with it but I am sure you will manage if you decide to go this route. While a decent OBD adapter is necessary, the useful thing with that is that you can also use it later with a given diagnostic app (e.g. bimmertool, torque pro) to diagnose your car and read out eventual fault codes present that do not necessarily trigger a check control warning/message for the driver to see it. That's just to say that such an OBD2 bluetooth adapter can serve several purposes.

Last edited by FBMWWINS; 11-23-2020 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 06:24 PM   #21
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Coding via Esys is not as straightforward as it used to be.... You need an up-to-date launcher or an external system (e.g. EsysX) in order to properly DE-code all the CAFDs else you will not be able to see what you actually do. In fact you will not even know which ECU/parameter/function you are dealing with. So this implies purchasing a program that links to Esys and decodes the CAFDs.

For coding if you want to keep it easy without having to go the Esys/EsyX way, I suggest you take a look at a simple yet powerful APP like Bimmercode. All you need is an OBD bluetooth adapter and their app/license and you are set. It's very quick, user friendly to use and simple to understand. I mostly use Bimmercode (they also have an expert mode to get "deeper" into certain ECU parameters/functions) and turn to Esys only for flashing the complete car.

This is used and mentioned a lot on Bimmerpost (on the other series forums) and there is a lot of information to be gathered. Just PM me if you need support or help with it but I am sure you will manage if you decide to go this route. While a decent OBD adapter is necessary, the useful thing with that is that you can also use it later with a given diagnostic app (e.g. bimmertool, torque pro) to diagnose your car and read out eventual fault codes present that do not necessarily trigger a check control warning/message for the driver to see it. That's just to say that such an OBD2 bluetooth adapter can serve several purposes.
Thanks for the info and I had looked at Bimmercode in the past but it was missing support for features I'm interested in enabling, e.g., Antidazzle, advanced ASL, etc. which are all coded out here in the US. I did come across a post on the X5 forum in which the OP used Bimmercode to create a custom interior ambient lighting scheme in "M colors" for his X5M so I'm assuming that was done via "expert mode". If someone had a cheat sheet for Antidazzle, advanced ASL, etc. for Bimmercode "expert mode" I'd likely be all in on it.

To your point EsyX appears pretty daunting and not for the faint of heart whatsoever. Hence, sitting on the fence so far even with Saunders17283 excellent how to guides published in his Esys thread which I was one of the forum members asking him to do. Generally I never shy away from modding any firmware, etc. but messing with a $100K plus device just scares me.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 08:36 PM   #22
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the info and I had looked at Bimmercode in the past but it was missing support for features I'm interested in enabling, e.g., Antidazzle, advanced ASL, etc. which are all coded out here in the US. I did come across a post on the X5 forum in which the OP used Bimmercode to create a custom interior ambient lighting scheme in "M colors" for his X5M so I'm assuming that was done via "expert mode". If someone had a cheat sheet for Antidazzle, advanced ASL, etc. for Bimmercode "expert mode" I'd likely be all in on it.

To your point EsyX appears pretty daunting and not for the faint of heart whatsoever. Hence, sitting on the fence so far even with Saunders17283 excellent how to guides published in his Esys thread which I was one of the forum members asking him to do. Generally I never shy away from modding any firmware, etc. but messing with a $100K plus device just scares me.
You and I both know we can do this by ourselves. However, to maintain pace with the updates as things change isn't tenable or desirable for me and I suspect you. If I'm right, ping me off-forum and I'll introduce you to my guy that keeps my life that little bit simpler.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0