M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Coolant alert

11-17-2020, 02:40 AM   #23
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

I think the 7 miles driven slowly (if you decide to drive to the dealer) will be just fine to drive as the car will barely reach temperature probably by then unless you get stuck in a major trafic jam on the way. Thus I would say this is still safe to do. Also consider a low coolant alert does not necessarily mean the level is so low that driving further will cause scalding. Especially if it just popped up.
Of course if you want to go absolutely risk-free then order it and wait until it gets home to you.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 10:04 AM   #24
edwarjejeega
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M850i, '18 X6M, '16 M4

This has happened to me over six times since February of 2019
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 08:30 PM   #25
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
I think the 7 miles driven slowly (if you decide to drive to the dealer) will be just fine to drive as the car will barely reach temperature probably by then unless you get stuck in a major trafic jam on the way. Thus I would say this is still safe to do. Also consider a low coolant alert does not necessarily mean the level is so low that driving further will cause scalding. Especially if it just popped up.
Of course if you want to go absolutely risk-free then order it and wait until it gets home to you.
I'm definitely going the dealer service route as today I had to move the car out of the garage for an appointment with a contractor whom is going to redo the shelving, apply an epoxy floor, etc. and there was no "low coolant" notification. Prior to moving the car back into the garage I then took it on a 4 mile round trip to the grocery store (keeping at low speeds just in case) and once again no alerts. I'm going to check the tanks in the morning to see if I see the same levels but regardless will book an appointment on Friday (late morning to ensure no traffic issues) to have them check it out.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 06:10 PM   #26
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
I'm definitely going the dealer service route as today I had to move the car out of the garage for an appointment with a contractor whom is going to redo the shelving, apply an epoxy floor, etc. and there was no "low coolant" notification. Prior to moving the car back into the garage I then took it on a 4 mile round trip to the grocery store (keeping at low speeds just in case) and once again no alerts. I'm going to check the tanks in the morning to see if I see the same levels but regardless will book an appointment on Friday (late morning to ensure no traffic issues) to have them check it out.
Dropped the car off this morning at 9:30am to have the "low coolant" checked. Since I'm only a month away from the 12 month service they are doing that as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 06:12 PM   #27
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Dropped the car off this morning at 9:30am to have the "low coolant" checked. Since I'm only a month away from the 12 month service they are doing that as well.
Perfect glad the trip worked out fine and it's now in safe hands. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 11:15 AM   #28
Brain_attack
Riding the stars
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da808dad View Post
So was gonna take the m850 out to do some errands yesterday and when I got in the car and started her up I got an error message which popped up saying that I had low coolant level and to take it in to nearest dealer and don't drive it or it could cause damage to engine.

I googled low coolant levels for a m850i and found a BMW service bulletin for M5's and m850i's which stated that the filling procedure at the factory could have filled it to below the minimum level and the correction to this was to just top off the coolant.

However, as I had to go run the errands I left the car at home and used my sons car instead. When I got home later on I checked the coolant level and the reservoir was full and topped off. Started the car back up and the error message was gone. Drove the car to work today and everything was fine.

Anyone else had this issue before? My car is a 2019 with only about 3500 miles on it.
My car is 7000 and had same issue. I went to my dealer and they told me its air bobble that ascended overtime . they are use to see it around 6000-8000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 07:42 PM   #29
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
I picked the M850i up from the dealer today and they did not mention anything about an air bubble, etc. in regards to the "low coolant" service I requested. I plan to take the car out for a performance run tomorrow and will check the tanks prior to doing so. I doubt that my situation had an air bubble involved as it was clear as day that the main tank was low, i.e., the coolant was no where near the minimum marker.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 05:17 PM   #30
mcsarna
Rep
Drives: BMW M850 xi 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da808dad View Post
So was gonna take the m850 out to do some errands yesterday and when I got in the car and started her up I got an error message which popped up saying that I had low coolant level and to take it in to nearest dealer and don't drive it or it could cause damage to engine.

I googled low coolant levels for a m850i and found a BMW service bulletin for M5's and m850i's which stated that the filling procedure at the factory could have filled it to below the minimum level and the correction to this was to just top off the coolant.

However, as I had to go run the errands I left the car at home and used my sons car instead. When I got home later on I checked the coolant level and the reservoir was full and topped off. Started the car back up and the error message was gone. Drove the car to work today and everything was fine.

Anyone else had this issue before? My car is a 2019 with only about 3500 miles on it.
I have a 2022 M850 xi convertible & got the Low coolant msg on the screen. Called BMW dealership, service lady says yeah bring it in, we'll get you a loaner etc. Then says hang on while I do the paperwork......music......another lady: Hi, may I help you? I said yeah, have a Low coolant msg on my screen. Says oh you just drive by & we'll top it off!! I said, well another service rep told me to bring it in and leave it as they will need to inspect for leaks etc as coolant should not have dropped off suddenly...........Silence......then ummm ok in that case let's set you up with a loaner!
Next day no warning msg about Low coolant. I called BMW, lady Hi may I help you? I was in middle of explaining when she goes oh you would NOT have been given a loaner for that! You just drive by blah blah....I explained rest of my previous conversations, she checks her system & sure enough, I have an appointment with a loaner reserved! Does anyone over there have a clue?!!!
But I haven't had the Low coolant msg appear & unlike some of the previous posters, I put my car through its paces!! Still no msg! Should I just cancel the appointment?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 06:22 PM   #31
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsarna View Post
I have a 2022 M850 xi convertible & got the Low coolant msg on the screen. Called BMW dealership, service lady says yeah bring it in, we'll get you a loaner etc. Then says hang on while I do the paperwork......music......another lady: Hi, may I help you? I said yeah, have a Low coolant msg on my screen. Says oh you just drive by & we'll top it off!! I said, well another service rep told me to bring it in and leave it as they will need to inspect for leaks etc as coolant should not have dropped off suddenly...........Silence......then ummm ok in that case let's set you up with a loaner!
Next day no warning msg about Low coolant. I called BMW, lady Hi may I help you? I was in middle of explaining when she goes oh you would NOT have been given a loaner for that! You just drive by blah blah....I explained rest of my previous conversations, she checks her system & sure enough, I have an appointment with a loaner reserved! Does anyone over there have a clue?!!!
But I haven't had the Low coolant msg appear & unlike some of the previous posters, I put my car through its paces!! Still no msg! Should I just cancel the appointment?
I'd go in to get it topped off. It's obviously not "leaking" bad enough to have the light remain on and when they go to top it off ask how much they put in. That will tell you how bad a leak would be or simply if its just burn off after all the time you have had it. My annual service has coolant check on it and almost every time I go in for that service on my BMW's they top it off.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
mcsarna22.00
      10-11-2023, 07:04 PM   #32
__AD__
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsarna View Post
This happens every 10k miles like clockwork. I bought a bottle of green coolant from the dealer and mix it 50:50 with water in a 20oz plastic water bottle. That seems to fill it back up.
Appreciate 1
mcsarna22.00