M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Manhart MHtronik Powerbox for M8 Comp

11-07-2020, 07:03 PM   #1
Blue Hornet
#EmToo
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2

Manhart MHtronik Powerbox for M8 Comp

Hello everyone. I recently took delivery of a 2021 M8 GC Competition which is juuuuuust about broken in, and I've been doing a bit of research on tuning of the beast. My previous M car, a 2014 F10 M5, had a Dinan box installed and warranted by the dealer and I was very happy with that, but it seems that they don't make anything like this for these newer cars.

Then I came across this: https://www.manhart-performance.de/s...petition?c=381

Clearly there's no mention of a warranty for the car with this installed, but it least appears that it can be simply unplugged when it goes in for service.

Have any of you tried one of these? Any thoughts? Alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

BH
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00
      11-08-2020, 06:22 PM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hornet View Post
Hello everyone. I recently took delivery of a 2021 M8 GC Competition which is juuuuuust about broken in, and I've been doing a bit of research on tuning of the beast. My previous M car, a 2014 F10 M5, had a Dinan box installed and warranted by the dealer and I was very happy with that, but it seems that they don't make anything like this for these newer cars.

Then I came across this: https://www.manhart-performance.de/s...petition?c=381

Clearly there's no mention of a warranty for the car with this installed, but it least appears that it can be simply unplugged when it goes in for service.

Have any of you tried one of these? Any thoughts? Alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

BH
I'm interested as well as they have a similar module for the M850i that will supposedly deliver up to 620 HP and the same 627 lb-ft of torque. However, as posted previously I'll not do any mod whatsoever that my void my warranty. So the million dollar questions being is it that easy to install and remove (prior to taking the car in for service) along with zero trace to any BMW diagnostics?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 03:56 AM   #3
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupι & M240i Coupι

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I'm interested as well as they have a similar module for the M850i that will supposedly deliver up to 620 HP and the same 627 lb-ft of torque. However, as posted previously I'll not do any mod whatsoever that my void my warranty. So the million dollar questions being is it that easy to install and remove (prior to taking the car in for service) along with zero trace to any BMW diagnostics?
On the M850i, at least in Germany, for an extra, Manhart offers a 24 months warranty on the car and up to 50.000 KM for the complete car. Except for the JB4 (back in the N54 engine hype days), I have always had ECU tunes installed on all my BMW models. I cannot say whether this is detectable or not, but my tendency would be to affirm it is. To what extent and whether it is (once removed) by simply hooking up their diagnostics is difficult to say (I have read contrasting statements about this). Another tuner which backs up their performance boxes with a solid warranty is AC Schnitzer. Generally speaking, still in Germany at least, most tuners confirmed to me that BMW cannot and will not void the entire warranty simply based on an ECU tune. Thus provided, the tuning company one opts for, backs up their tune with a solid and complete warranty, I see no reason to worry unless of course being a leasing you might not want to risk anything. That is my take.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 09:09 AM   #4
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Have you take a look on RaceChip?
They have engine warranty coverage too.
I've sold a lot of them to F90 M5 and a few F9x M8 owners with a great feedback.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 09:35 AM   #5
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
A friend of mine has Racechip on his F90, and he told me he could get it for me at a slight discount ($50 off), but I don’t need any more power, for now.

https://www.racechip.us/shop/bmw/m8-...hoC8hUQAvD_BwE
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 06:45 PM   #6
TXAlex
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

Vmax

does racechip get rid of Vmax?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00
      11-20-2020, 07:51 AM   #7
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAlex View Post
does racechip get rid of Vmax?
No. VMAX only can be done via ECU tune.
How fast are you planning to hit anyway?
I did 150 on my X3MC and it still haven't hit the limiter.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 09:49 AM   #8
Footman614
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

In other posts, members have mentioned a very important point. Take great care of your BMW service adviser representative. It could really come in handy. Giving them $20 or more at each encounter is a no brainer. I had a great adviser at a BMW dealership and would get great service. He's even provided me with in-depth service reports on BMW's I've been looking at. Those reports are internal and not for the public.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 12:35 AM   #9
TXAlex
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Who knows? Perhaps I will build it out for the 1 mile. Truth be told I only got my m6 comp to the limiter when I did European delivery in 2014 (after break-in and a few laps on the ring). I think it cut at around 190.

Unfortunately, thanks to the coof no European Delivery for this one. So it’s unlikely that that I will ever need unlisted vmax. I would just a like it just in case.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00
      11-21-2020, 08:11 AM   #10
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Who knows? Perhaps I will build it out for the 1 mile. Truth be told I only got my m6 comp to the limiter when I did European delivery in 2014 (after break-in and a few laps on the ring). I think it cut at around 190.

Unfortunately, thanks to the coof no European Delivery for this one. So it’s unlikely that that I will ever need unlisted vmax. I would just a like it just in case.
In that case, you'll need a flash tune.
The only issue now, BMW start locking up the DME where you can't load the tunes through OBD2 anymore.

The other option, you purchase M Performance Driving school (if I remember the name correctly) when you purchase your car, and they will up the VMAX after you attend.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2020, 10:35 AM   #11
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately, thanks to the coof no European Delivery for this one. So it's unlikely that that I will ever need unlisted vmax. I would just a like it just in case.
In that case, you'll need a flash tune.
The only issue now, BMW start locking up the DME where you can't load the tunes through OBD2 anymore.

The other option, you purchase M Performance Driving school (if I remember the name correctly) when you purchase your car, and they will up the VMAX after you attend.
Some coders have unlocked the ECU tune for the new 2020 dme software. They can add pops and bangs and remove the top speed limiter. And permanently remove the auto start stop.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00
      11-21-2020, 12:25 PM   #12
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupι & M240i Coupι

I am not sure the DMEs have been "unlocked" if car production is after 05.2020 or 07.2020. My tuner said for example M8s produced until 05.2020 are "tunable" whereas the ones from later production months (in 2020) have the new by Bosch locked and double locked DMEs. I am sure people are busy finding ways around it, but has it been completely "solved"?
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2020, 02:14 PM   #13
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
I am not sure the DMEs have been "unlocked" if car production is after 05.2020 or 07.2020. My tuner said for example M8s produced until 05.2020 are "tunable" whereas the ones from later production months (in 2020) have the new by Bosch locked and double locked DMEs. I am sure people are busy finding ways around it, but has it been completely "solved"?
My guy at https://codingmidwest.com/contact/
Says he can crack it and he do it all remotely. He told me he can.

I haven't done it yet, so I can't verifying. But he seems positive.
Appreciate 1
FBMWWINS603.50