M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Sound System Issues

08-10-2020, 05:48 PM   #1
AM850i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i First Edition

Sound System Issues

Since the new idrive update, every couple weeks, my sound system will basically cease to exist. I'll turn on the car, the music will play out one single speaker it seems like. My iPhone 11 can play louder than the car and has better bass.

Anyone else having an issue with their sound system?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 07:19 PM   #2
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM850i View Post
Since the new idrive update, every couple weeks, my sound system will basically cease to exist. I'll turn on the car, the music will play out one single speaker it seems like. My iPhone 11 can play louder than the car and has better bass.

No problems but I haven't updated.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 07:52 PM   #3
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
I had sound system issues - that is lack of performance especially sub woofers - which were fixed through a software update. It is also eliminated a weird whining sound from the in car engine noise software.

So I think you need to take it back to dealer to re-apply the update or remove it.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2020, 10:37 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:

In anything iDrive related in the way of updates the critical information is what version was loaded. There is a long thread regarding the absolute failure in many aspects of the 03/2020 initial releases but nobody called out audio issues. What version was installed by the dealer? Also do you have the H&K or the B&W audio system.

Although the head unit is universal the DSP, amp and crossovers are different between the two options (I'm ruling out the speaker difference as it would have no play in the situation). Hence this information may help others if we have a new gremlin lurking within the 03/2020 or 07/2020 iDrive releases. My latest update to 11/2019.70 has left me with still flawless B&W sound but I suspect like others the latest updates have neutered the exhaust for cold starts.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 07:52 AM   #5
AM850i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:

In anything iDrive related in the way of updates the critical information is what version was loaded. There is a long thread regarding the absolute failure in many aspects of the 03/2020 initial releases but nobody called out audio issues. What version was installed by the dealer? Also do you have the H&K or the B&W audio system.

Although the head unit is universal the DSP, amp and crossovers are different between the two options (I'm ruling out the speaker difference as it would have no play in the situation). Hence this information may help others if we have a new gremlin lurking within the 03/2020 or 07/2020 iDrive releases. My latest update to 11/2019.70 has left me with still flawless B&W sound but I suspect like others the latest updates have neutered the exhaust for cold starts.
I got mine May 2019 and updated to the 11.2019 a month ago.
I have the B&W. So out of the 16 speakers, it sounds like it is only coming from the speaker on the top center of the dash. Crank the system up to full volume and my iPhone is still louder.
Resetting the iDrive system won't correct it. Only letting the car sit for an hour or two will.

I contacted my genius at my local dealer and he's never heard anything like it.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 10:39 AM   #6
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have the B&W. So out of the 16 speakers, it sounds like it is only coming from the speaker on the top center of the dash. Crank the system up to full volume and my iPhone is still louder.
Resetting the iDrive system won't correct it. Only letting the car sit for an hour or two will.

there is a setting for "driver only 1 speaker" i think hidden in the options menu buried somewhere in the settings.
I can't remember if it turns on or off the center channel. or if it isolates the main channel.

That might be your setting problem, or it's a bigger problem with the audio and your dealership needs to fix it.

it might be worth taking to a small local shop that specializes in car AV stuff, like our Crutchfield, or if not a larger like Best Buy car audio department to see if they Can diagnose and find the problem.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2020, 09:42 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks for the update and not sounding (no pun intended) positive. Can you check what actual version of 11/2019 they loaded. My original was 11/2019.55 and the latest is 11/2019.70 so I'm assuming if they did it right it should by the .70 version. If it is a different version that that may be the source of the gremlin. If it is indeed .70 they the first step would be to have the dealer wipe the iDrive completely (not sure if that is even possible) and re-install the software as something definitely got FUBAR'd as .70 in my 2020 M850i works flawlessly for B&W sound.

You may also want to consider just having the dealer install the 07/2020 release as so far it sounds solid plus comes with several new features. From other postings it sounds like dealers will generally not do upgrades on demand do to warranty labor hours but given your issues that should be a no questions asked request. Good luck either way!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 09:47 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
there is a setting for "driver only 1 speaker" i think hidden in the options menu buried somewhere in the settings.
I can't remember if it turns on or off the center channel. or if it isolates the main channel.

That might be your setting problem, or it's a bigger problem with the audio and your dealership needs to fix it.

it might be worth taking to a small local shop that specializes in car AV stuff, like our Crutchfield, or if not a larger like Best Buy car audio department to see if they Can diagnose and find the problem.
Generally that type of center is to turn off the center channel in the way of eliminating the DSP, i.e., going straight source in stereo. In fact that is how I have my wife's X5 configured with H&K as it produces the best sound in it especially when I source my 5.1 FLAC which will leverage the center channel anyway. However, with the B&W there is no way to disengage the DSP aka "Sound Profiles" but on my way back from the grocery store I went through all the menus again just in case. As far as I can tell there is no setting whatsoever to do so.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 07:20 AM   #9
AM850i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the update and not sounding (no pun intended) positive. Can you check what actual version of 11/2019 they loaded. My original was 11/2019.55 and the latest is 11/2019.70 so I'm assuming if they did it right it should by the .70 version. If it is a different version that that may be the source of the gremlin. If it is indeed .70 they the first step would be to have the dealer wipe the iDrive completely (not sure if that is even possible) and re-install the software as something definitely got FUBAR'd as .70 in my 2020 M850i works flawlessly for B&W sound.

You may also want to consider just having the dealer install the 07/2020 release as so far it sounds solid plus comes with several new features. From other postings it sounds like dealers will generally not do upgrades on demand do to warranty labor hours but given your issues that should be a no questions asked request. Good luck either way!
Mine upgraded to 11.2019.70. I haven't had any problems with the car or system till this.

As much as I hate bringing it to the dealer, I guess I might have to if this keeps persisting.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 09:05 AM   #10
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mine upgraded to 11.2019.70. I haven't had any problems with the car or system till this.

As much as I hate bringing it to the dealer, I guess I might have to if this keeps persisting.
If it works fine, and then intermittently stops working some days, but you let it sit and it works again; it could be a defective unit or loose wire or damaged wire.

I think you're in for a trip back to the dealership. Make sure they have a master audio tech, as most of the guys can fix a small part or change the oil but aren't qualified to re-wire the entire car system.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 07:38 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

With 11/2019.70 being the same release as mine it definitely sounds like either a software "bug" that has yet to surface for me but it's been about 6 weeks since my OTA upgrade from .55 to the .70 release.

Based on the symptom described I'd likely rule out a loose wire as to cut off all speakers outside of the center channel would mean many loose wires coming off of the Audio RAM Module (#15 in the attached diagram). Plus, even if that was the case you'd still have full volume coming out of the center channel speaker vs what you describe. The next likely culprit is a failure in the 3 analog crossovers. However, a failure there in 2 out of the 3 would not end up with your result but rather sound out of only the tweeters, mid-range or bass drivers.

So ultimately this sounds like a software issue with the DSP that drives the overall sound distribution from the source across the 10 channels of the B&W system. In fact although different in outcome it is very similar to Ozzie8 original issue in which the fabricated engine sound turned into a wining sound and overtook the audio. What puzzles me is why that your .70 installation surfaced the issue vs my OTA upgrade. Unless there were material changes to the head unit or RAM module between the 2019s and 2020s I'm at a loss for why the bug has hit you and not me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-14-2020, 05:37 AM   #12
AM850i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

With 11/2019.70 being the same release as mine it definitely sounds like either a software "bug" that has yet to surface for me but it's been about 6 weeks since my OTA upgrade from .55 to the .70 release.

Based on the symptom described I'd likely rule out a loose wire as to cut off all speakers outside of the center channel would mean many loose wires coming off of the Audio RAM Module (#15 in the attached diagram). Plus, even if that was the case you'd still have full volume coming out of the center channel speaker vs what you describe. The next likely culprit is a failure in the 3 analog crossovers. However, a failure there in 2 out of the 3 would not end up with your result but rather sound out of only the tweeters, mid-range or bass drivers.

So ultimately this sounds like a software issue with the DSP that drives the overall sound distribution from the source across the 10 channels of the B&W system. In fact although different in outcome it is very similar to Ozzie8 original issue in which the fabricated engine sound turned into a wining sound and overtook the audio. What puzzles me is why that your .70 installation surfaced the issue vs my OTA upgrade. Unless there were material changes to the head unit or RAM module between the 2019s and 2020s I'm at a loss for why the bug has hit you and not me.
I upgraded to .70 OTA in my driveway about six weeks ago too. Downloaded the software to my phone through the BMW connected app, then the car updated through that.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2020, 10:03 PM   #13
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I upgraded to .70 OTA in my driveway about six weeks ago too. Downloaded the software to my phone through the BMW connected app, then the car updated through that.
Wow as I had originally thought your dealer did the upgrade. So now my last question (apologies in advance) is what version of 11/2019 you were on before the upgrade. In other words in the world of software upgrading from version X or version Y to the target Z can introduce bugs in the process dependent on the initial source (X or Y).

I've had zero issues going from .55 to .70 so not sure if the factor in your upgrade introducing the bug was coming from a different point release. If you too went from .55 to .70 then my only idea is there is a hardware specific problem (e.g., head unit or RAM module) in your M850i that surfaced the issue.
Appreciate 1
AM850i72.00
      08-15-2020, 01:30 PM   #14
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:

CarPlay Speech Mode perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 08:36 PM   #15
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Good call out if CarPlay drives all speech, etc. through the center channel in the dash. I've never used CarPlay so if the OP does it may be the difference as to why the bug is showing up in his 11/2019.70 upgrade vs mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 10:22 PM   #16
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Good call out if CarPlay drives all speech, etc. through the center channel in the dash. I've never used CarPlay so if the OP does it may be the difference as to why the bug is showing up in his 11/2019.70 upgrade vs mine.
It's popped up across multiple makes both tethered and wireless. It can also occur with just BT. Most common cause is apps with voice feedback running in the background when the connection occurs (Google Maps, Waze for example). Best way to avoid is to close all apps before entering the vehicle.

Many (but not all) issues with the vehicle software post updates I see here have a common link. DIY Coding.
Appreciate 1
AM850i72.00
      08-17-2020, 06:06 PM   #17
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
In relation to my issues, they were not Carplay or app related, as I don't use Carplay or third party apps.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 06:29 PM   #18
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
In relation to my issues, they were not Carplay or app related, as I don't use Carplay or third party apps.
The ASD gremlin or the USB media freeze?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2022, 10:02 AM   #19
berkangunel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m850i

Hi there - I have an m850i with b&w sound option and I'm having this exact issue. Sounds basically disappeared, seems like maybe one speaker is working but it's like a phone speaker. it's not a connection or carplay thing because even when I select FM radio, it's the same thing. Was there any more new info about this? should I go to the service or just wait for it to go away?
Appreciate 0