M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M850xi Gran Coupe Delivered in Donington Grey!

08-09-2020, 11:19 PM   #1
Van_bimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m850 GC

M850xi Gran Coupe Delivered in Donington Grey!

Yes, you read that right, I special ordered her in Donington Grey and it looks truly fantastic!

-Full-leather option in Gognac.
-B&W audio
-Executive Package
-Black Kidney grill
-Drive recorder

A huge shout out to the amazing contributors on this forum! I've been lurking, with the odd post, for over a year and its been a very informative forum and platform to hear from owners and enthusiasts alike. A second shout out to the fine folks at Brian Jessel BMW in Vancouver, my star salesman Valentino was so helpful and happy to provide my nearly-weekly updates on build status.

A bit of background; I ordered the car in late Jan, coming out of a 2015 Mercedes AMG E63s. Covid hit and my order was pushed back by luckily only 2-3 months, I just picked her up on Friday. Still, a LONG 7-month wait. Totally worth it though.

When I first seen a Donington Grey on an M5 a few years ago, I always said to myself I would by an M5 JUST to get that amazing color. I really like grey and silver colors but I found the palette on the 8 to be pretty limited. So, I choked on the idea of the cost but I thought [what the heck], im spending this much money on the car might as well be in love with the color. Doing so added approx 6 weeks delay to the order process.

Left Friday after work to take a scenic ride and weekend up to Whistler BC to visit some friends and the drive was too much fun. Done this highway hundreds of times and I have to say, hands down the most confident car even taken up.

For: Love the ride, soaks up choppy roads like butter especially compared to my previous AMG cars. Love the sound. Weight and size disappears when pushing into the long sweeping highway turns. Love the style and 'exotic' character to it. Have only seen a few GC's on the road so its great to have the rarity for now, especially potentially being the only M850 in Donington in North America.

Against: not reading my USB-C drive of flac music I had prepared, not a big deal, using a different USB drive for now. The B&W is just slightly underwhelming at the moment, but im slowly dialing it in and its improving and growing on my ears, im comparing to the Bang Olufsen that was in my E63 which was stunning. Picks up road roar a little more that would like. Thats it for now.

attached some quick parking lot pics to enjoy (sorry I just dont have photographic abilities)
Attached Images

1999 Mercedes SL500
1980 Mercedes 450SL
Appreciate 7
Ozzie8641.00
hersh671022.50
Wing Co239.00
cfm56d7b5886.00
'Cane8511.50
      08-09-2020, 11:29 PM   #2
Belugs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i, 2012 528i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van_bimmer View Post
Yes, you read that right, I special ordered her in Donington Grey and it looks truly fantastic!

-B&W audio
-Executive Package
-Black Kidney grill
-Drive recorder

A huge shout out to the amazing contributors on this forum! I've been lurking, with the odd post, for over a year and its been a very informative forum and platform to hear from owners and enthusiasts alike. A second shout out to the fine folks at Brian Jessel BMW in Vancouver, my star salesman Valentino was so helpful and happy to provide my nearly-weekly updates on build status.

A bit of background; I ordered the car in late Jan, coming out of a 2015 Mercedes AMG E63s. Covid hit and my order was pushed back by luckily only 2-3 months, I just picked her up on Friday. Still, a LONG 7-month wait. Totally worth it though.

When I first seen a Donington Grey on an M5 a few years ago, I always said to myself I would by an M5 JUST to get that amazing color. I really like grey and silver colors but I found the palette on the 8 to be pretty limited. So, I choked on the idea of the cost but I thought [what the heck], im spending this much money on the car might as well be in love with the color. Doing so added approx 6 weeks delay to the order process.

Left Friday after work to take a scenic ride and weekend up to Whistler BC to visit some friends and the drive was too much fun. Done this highway hundreds of times and I have to say, hands down the most confident car even taken up.

For: Love the ride, soaks up choppy roads like butter especially compared to my previous AMG cars. Love the sound. Weight and size disappears when pushing into the long sweeping highway turns. Love the style and 'exotic' character to it. Have only seen a few GC's on the road so its great to have the rarity for now, especially potentially being the only M850 in Donington in North America.

Against: not reading my USB-C drive of flac music I had prepared, not a big deal, using a different USB drive for now. The B&W is just slightly underwhelming at the moment, but im slowly dialing it in and its improving and growing on my ears, im comparing to the Bang Olufsen that was in my E63 which was stunning. Picks up road roar a little more that would like. Thats it for now.

attached some quick parking lot pics to enjoy (sorry I just dont have photographic abilities)
Stunning ride. Congrats! Enjoy every bit of it.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2020, 11:41 PM   #3
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Very nice color, enjoy!

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2020, 12:46 AM   #4
Da808dad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp

Garage List
Congrats! Killer combo.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2020, 02:36 AM   #5
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Brilliant colour - if I were to order another 8 - that would be the colour for me! Congratulations and enjoy your drives!
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2020, 08:42 AM   #6
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Gorgeous color combo and exquisite taste buddy!! Enjoy in good health and many happy miles
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2020, 10:28 AM   #7
Tejael
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Garage List
2022 BMW M850i  [0.00]
That is STUNNING great pick up. I'm sure your glad you stuck to what you wanted!
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2020, 10:28 PM   #8
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

car looks awesome in donnington by far one of the best colors however howcome cognac vs tartufo?
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2020, 10:58 PM   #9
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

The biggest challenge owning this car is always arriving late because one can spend a lot of time admiring it before getting in.

Stunning. Congratulations!
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2020, 08:46 AM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Congrats on the gorgeous M850i GC and enjoy the drive!
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2020, 12:09 AM   #11
Chai Five
United_States
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp Coupe

$?

May I have the dubious distinction of being so bold to ask how much $ they charged you for the "special order" color. Im about to order an M* and would love to have to not spend the extra money if I know this is possible at a reasonable price.

Thanks kindly!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 05:42 AM   #12
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chai Five View Post
May I have the dubious distinction of being so bold to ask how much $ they charged you for the "special order" color. Im about to order an M* and would love to have to not spend the extra money if I know this is possible at a reasonable price.

Thanks kindly!
Didnt BMW offer Individual paint for free on the M8 in the USA, to try and sell them?

M
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 09:28 PM   #13
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

MARVELOUS!
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2020, 02:07 AM   #14
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Very nice and distinguished color I have not seen one live yet, rare and thus exclusive not the usual standard grey color. Good combo too with those interiors.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2020, 09:29 AM   #15
Van_bimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m850 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chai Five View Post

Thanks kindly!
They charged $5k CAD. I was able to get a pretty good discount on the car though that offset it slightly.
1999 Mercedes SL500
1980 Mercedes 450SL
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 09:40 AM   #16
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

In the USA, through year end the M GC allows for individual colors for free. I am uncertain if that applies to the M850 but know for certain it applies to the M8 GC
      12-08-2020, 11:47 PM   #17
Chai Five
United_States
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp Coupe

Quote:
They charged $5k CAD. I was able to get a pretty good discount on the car though that offset it slightly.
Thanks Van! Enjoy it. its a beauty!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 12:12 AM   #18
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:

-B&W audio
-Executive Package
-Black Kidney grill
-Drive recorder

Congrats, great color

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2020, 12:32 PM   #19
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:

-B&W audio
-Executive Package
-Black Kidney grill
-Drive recorder

I LUUUUUV Donington Gray. Please matte wrap it in PPF so I can see if it's my next color combo (a big ask I know but you never know).

Here's how a GC looks in matte to help persuade you.

Name:  IMG_3659.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  759.0 KB

Regardless, beautiful car + color combo... CONGRATS!
Appreciate 1