M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8 Competition Hits 0-60 in 2.5s -- Instrumented Test Results & Review by C&D

08-07-2020, 10:09 AM   #67
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
Quote:
Well, 5-60 mph is 3.5s, that's what most of us are going to see in real world, which is bloody quick in its own right.

The 2.5 is trickery, one foot rollout and launch control
Car is available with launch control so how is that trickery? The roll-out does seem like artificially lowering the number but it also seems like others are doing it as well.

Regardless, modern cars have really made it easy for a commoner to get arrested or turned into a mist when high speed comes to a sudden stop. Please enjoy responsibly.

Also, a focus on fun would be nice. Cars like this and the M6 GC CP I had just aren't special feeling at legal speeds. They're also not great on the track so I don't think I could justify buying another ... unless I also have an exotic or two and need to spend more money on my commuter
What I am saying how many times during your daily commute you engage launch control so that you experience the 2.5 s to 60? Yourself I mean? Never, that's trickery. You are not going to see 2.5.

Oh, but the 3.5 s to 60, several times a day, and pretty happy with that
I sound like a broken record but here we go again:
- I launch multiple times per day
- I launch from traffic lights and anywhere else where I think it's safe
- I crack into the 2.6s consistently
- I make the 2.5s occasionally
- my 2020 M5 hit the 2.5s regularly

... both cars were mod'd with a JB4 (a $900 box of aluminum magic that I can install and remove myself)

No trickery. No aspiration. Repeatable facts.
The journos guys claimed 2.5 on a stock car, how is that not trickery?
That is indeed. No argument. Which I posted in detail about.

You said folks don't launch everyday—I do. You also said he'd never see it, so I'm telling you I do... consistently (with just a JB4).
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 10:36 AM   #68
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well, 5-60 mph is 3.5s, that's what most of us are going to see in real world, which is bloody quick in its own right.

Car is available with launch control so how is that trickery? The roll-out does seem like artificially lowering the number but it also seems like others are doing it as well.

Regardless, modern cars have really made it easy for a commoner to get arrested or turned into a mist when high speed comes to a sudden stop. Please enjoy responsibly.

Also, a focus on fun would be nice. Cars like this and the M6 GC CP I had just aren't special feeling at legal speeds. They're also not great on the track so I don't think I could justify buying another ... unless I also have an exotic or two and need to spend more money on my commuter
What I am saying how many times during your daily commute you engage launch control so that you experience the 2.5 s to 60? Yourself I mean? Never, that's trickery. You are not going to see 2.5.

... both cars were mod'd with a JB4 (a $900 box of aluminum magic that I can install and remove myself)

You said folks don't launch everyday—I do. You also said he'd never see it, so I'm telling you I do... consistently (with just a JB4).
Well, you're the exception that confirms the rule. Make a poll about how many times people use launch control on daily basis and see what I am talking about.

I have my M5 for over one year already and never used launch control.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #69
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, you're the exception that confirms the rule. Make a poll about how many times people use launch control on daily basis and see what I am talking about.

What a waste. To each their own, though.

However, you cite opinion as though it's a fact with a statistical sample size of...what, you and?

You said it doesn't happen. It does. You said it can't be achieved. It has been... consistently. Then when someone disproves your point of view, you call it out as an anomaly.

Last edited by limeypride; 08-07-2020 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 3
Lee808230.50
rojodo25.50
babaikram511.50
      08-07-2020, 10:46 AM   #70
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbmwlife View Post
Limited run. They might actually hold value. You might have to wait for a while.
I highly doubt it.
Yeah a bmw especially nowadays is a depreciating rock
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25051.00
nicky dj344.50
city1991228.00
      08-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #71
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrock22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
[SIZE="5"]Tested: 2020 BMW M8 Competition Rockets into Absurdity[/SIZE]

[SIZE="4"]The 617-hp, 2.5-second-to-60-mph M8 Competition makes us think the Bavarians may have finally come unhinged.[/SIZE]

Read the full review article @ https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

Here are the incredible instrumented test numbers:

Attachment 2382726

Attachment 2382727
Is it me or does the Car & Driver graph suck? What happened to simple easy to read bar graphs?
I did not even bother looking at it. If I wanted to learn new fangled trapezium bar graphs I would go back to school.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 11:11 AM   #72
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr0m3assass1n View Post
Damn, that's impressive.

I like how they put the scale for Base prices x1000 to $500k to make the Pista look good. Lol.

That Z51 is mighty, mighty impressive across the board though.
Too bad it looks like a Hot Wheels boy racer. Comparing a Chevy Corvette to a BMW M8 is like comparing... awww never mind. I agree on the Corvette numbers though. Very impressive.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 11:31 AM   #73
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

However, you cite opinion as though it's a fact with a statistical sample size of...what, you and?

You said it doesn't happen. It does. You said it can't be achieved. It has been... consistently. Then when someone disproves your point of view, you call it out as an anomaly.
All I said is the 5-60 at 3.5 is the better reflection of the car performance, while the 2.5 is a trickery.

Now you come with a JB4 modded car saying that you can get around 2.6-2.7, exceptionally 2.5 . Well, this proves my point that 2.5 on a stock car is trickery, thank you
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      08-07-2020, 12:06 PM   #74
EnVe46
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 LeMansBlue

Quote:
This will probably be controversial... but, honestly cars are getting too fast. The horsepower wars are just getting absurd at this point.
Yup. Agreed 100000%. Just sold my downpipes and tuned M6 GC cause the power got boring. Cool, I blew the doors off every car I met on the highway. That's where the fun ended. Just bought a 2015 911 S. Not nearly as fast but quick enough to have fun.
stein_325i25051.00
      08-07-2020, 12:46 PM   #75
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GymNut View Post
Is that why you drive a 4 series?

Sorry I just had to...
Using that logic I must have a 12 incher.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      08-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #76
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
This will probably be controversial... but, honestly cars are getting too fast. The horsepower wars are just getting absurd at this point.
Indeed
A friend of mine was asking me the other day "What type of tune you're getting for the M8", and I miss you and him not, I think for street use, this car might actually need a detune !!! And I got the regular and convertible, so less power so to speak!

But hey, with electric cars rolling all those used to be super cars! They had to up the ante!!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 01:41 PM   #77
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
Love the graph!!
Impressive for a heavy car. Pista is just mind boggling!!!!
Love the graph too Hahahaha
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 01:43 PM   #78
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

All I said is the 5-60 at 3.5 is the better reflection of the car performance, while the 2.5 is a trickery.

Now you come with a JB4 modded car saying that you can get around 2.6-2.7, exceptionally 2.5 . Well, this proves my point that 2.5 on a stock car is trickery, thank you
We agree on the stock car but the thread had forked. So if the above makes you feel better about being wrong, then have at it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 01:44 PM   #79
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
With speed limits not increasing its just so much power that your done so quick. It may be useful on a track but how many people track their two ton luxury sport sedans/coupes? I prefer cars where I need to work for power or I can at least rev them out more. The quick 0-60 sprints may be exhilarating but I find it gets old quick, and the engineering behind making these cars incredibly quick just robs it of feel. This is not just a BMW issue too, even with Porsche I would take a base Carrera over a Turbo any day of the week. Even the base Carrera is a little too fast since its become turbocharged (another reason why NA 911's are just so great).
Throttle House guys actually said this in their review of the 992 vs 997 yesterday. The new model is so fast that the fun ends in a couple seconds. The older Carrera S the experience lasted longer, and even at low speeds you felt like you were going fast. I had the exact same thought, that I'd be content with a base Carrera. Jason Cammisa felt similarly on this topic.
I begrudgingly have to agree because getting to 80mph is weirdly, eerily and ironically more fun that say getting to 100mph in M8
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 01:49 PM   #80
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by am3r1ka View Post
Fast with little to no feedback at that.
I'm curious, what firsthand experience in an M8 informs your opinion?
Dean you and I know that while we love the car, but it's less RAW ///M no question! It's a smooth scalpel rather than the gritty M5 way if getting there, besides man. Have you see how speed and digits mean nothing in this M8 compared to M5, and another instance where M5 might be more fun getting to 3 digits than M8, despite bragging rights and "effortless superiority"

My 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 01:51 PM   #81
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

You don't need launch control to get sub 3.5 times. The 5-60 times are done to show what a rolling start would look like. If you want a good time, you don't even need launch control. All you need is some brake boosting. It's still far less skill than you'd need to properly launch a car with a manual transmission. One foot on the brake, one foot on the gas, proper modulation of both, and you're off. I'm sure without LC and without a 1ft rollout, most people who practice could do sub 3s 0-60 with this car.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 01:52 PM   #82
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Jesus Christ. Come on BMW, take that power plant and put it in a carbon-tubbed supercar already!!
Nah, the S63 is a great and smooth engine, but it it doesn't have enough character for a super/halo car. What BMW really needs to do is make a high revving naturally aspirated I6 or V8 (or even better V10/12) lightweight super/sports car (preferably mid-engined) with a manual transmission, optional DCT and carbon core technology that could go toe to toe with Porsche... but that's just a pipe dream sadly
Hahahaha
You don't need a car for that, all you need is times machine to take you back to E60 M5 lol
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      08-07-2020, 01:54 PM   #83
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
Quote:
Unpossible.

This is the last hurrah before we all go electric. Enjoy it while you can.

Not that electric won't be fun, just . . . different.
It won't be fun
Been there done that!
P90D fun and novelty wore off in 6 months for me that I let it go, and blah interiors didn't help when MSRP was 155K!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 01:55 PM   #84
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Jesus Christ. Come on BMW, take that power plant and put it in a carbon-tubbed supercar already!!
Nah, the S63 is a great and smooth engine, but it it doesn't have enough character for a super/halo car. What BMW really needs to do is make a high revving naturally aspirated I6 or V8 (or even better V10/12) lightweight super/sports car (preferably mid-engined) with a manual transmission, optional DCT and carbon core technology that could go toe to toe with Porsche... but that's just a pipe dream sadly
Hahahaha
You don't need a car for that, all you need is times machine to take you back to E60 M5 lol
True, I miss those times, the e60 is one of my favorite M5's even with all its quirks and issues. That car was just overflowing with character, there will never be another like it.
soooma1373.00
      08-07-2020, 01:57 PM   #85
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Launch multiple times a day?
Please remind me to not buy your car when you decide to sell it. 😂
I'll take it from Dean lol
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      08-07-2020, 01:59 PM   #86
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
With speed limits not increasing its just so much power that your done so quick. It may be useful on a track but how many people track their two ton luxury sport sedans/coupes? I prefer cars where I need to work for power or I can at least rev them out more. The quick 0-60 sprints may be exhilarating but I find it gets old quick, and the engineering behind making these cars incredibly quick just robs it of feel. This is not just a BMW issue too, even with Porsche I would take a base Carrera over a Turbo any day of the week. Even the base Carrera is a little too fast since its become turbocharged (another reason why NA 911's are just so great).
Although not a M8 owner but rather a M850i owner the sentiment stands in regards to 0-60 sprints vs the total drive. In fact that is why I try to take the M850i at least a couple of times a week on my "course" which includes a 10 mile stretch of straights plus winding rural desert driving. The straights are fun to hit 105 MPH plus on but the engaging aspect is the winding curves and continuously trying take them harder the more comfortable I become behind the wheel and reduce my overall time for that section of the drive.

On a side note the C&D review of the 992 Carrera S (https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ual-enjoyment/) in manual form made complete sense to me. Sure the PDK will give you better zero to 60 times but to their point it just isn't as engaging as the manual. Also kudos to Porsche on MECOSA as being an engineering geek that is a feat within itself.
While I love manuals, does any millennial (anyone under the age of 40ish), even know how to drive a stick shift?

I think it's a dying art, just like the form of ICE engines; soon we'll all be driving electric automatic vehicles.
Thanks for reminding all of us of the bleak future imposed on us by EPA, for lots of good legit reasons though!
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2020, 02:38 PM   #87
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Curious why the 100mph time is more than double the 60 time. Isn't the longest part just getting off the line and building boost?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 02:43 PM   #88
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
That's 911 turbo S quick
Appreciate 0