M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion AC Issues ??

06-11-2020, 01:32 PM   #45
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
We haven't been the driving the M8 much and noticed that the car just pushed out warm air, no matter the temp settings. AC showed as ON on the display.

As soon as the rpms went up going on the highway the air got cold.

I wonder if the car was low on battery which prevented the AC to work correctly?
Would just be one of those stupid algorithms that BMW used in the past on the 7 series...
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2020, 10:54 PM   #46
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
We haven't been the driving the M8 much and noticed that the car just pushed out warm air, no matter the temp settings. AC showed as ON on the display.

I wonder if the car was low on battery which prevented the AC to work correctly?
Would just be one of those stupid algorithms that BMW used in the past on the 7 series...
My M850 may even be driven less than yours, 800 miles in 6 mos and no such issues (drove it again tonight in hot humid Naples FL to confirm). One would also hope, before BMW replaced the OP's first M8 with another, they checked for the issue you raise...

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2020, 09:18 AM   #47
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post

That does not sound promising as it was 108 here today in Phoenix and in my drive to the grocery store and back (about 8 miles round trip) the AC blew cold in the garage, the drive to the grocery store, starting up at the grocery store (a godsend as it was HOT in the parking lot) and of the drive home.
Appreciate 2
      06-12-2020, 10:52 AM   #48
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

No AC problems here in 93-degree, 230-percent-humid North Florida/South Georgia, he reported, almost certainly jinxing himself.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2020, 06:45 PM   #49
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
No AC problems here in 93-degree, 230-percent-humid North Florida/South Georgia, he reported, almost certainly jinxing himself.
I know as I feel like my updates are going to jinx me as well. However, AZ is a good comparison to the OP's Vegas world from a climate perspective so trying to add a little value if I can. Today's longer drive at 107 degrees was cold air the entire time including shortly after start up in the garage. As mentioned in this thread or elsewhere, I've never been happy with the wife's 2017 X5's A/C as it takes way to long before it starts blowing cold air but once it does thankfully it is non-stop.

I forgot to add in my earlier posts that given I'm left-handed that is the hand that is on the wheel all the time and right on the left "bulge" grip of the wheel. Side not being I love that "bulge" as it fits my hand perfectly and has been one of the minor niceties of the M850i I appreciate. All of that said that literally puts my hand right in the path of the drivers side left console vent.

Prior to the summer heat I had to raise the temperature setting as it made my hand cold. However, now I'm dialed in at 75 degrees as the optimal setting. The point being is I will instantaneously know if/when (here comes that jinx) the A/C fails to blow cold air. Knocking on wood, double skipping over lines in the sidewalk, etc. that never happens.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 06-12-2020 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2020, 09:26 PM   #50
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I've never been happy with the wife's 2017 X5's A/C as it takes way to long before it starts blowing cold air but once it does thankfully it is non-stop.
\
Likewise my wife's 2016 X4. It has to consider various alternatives before deciding, "OK, what the hell, here's the cold air," and then everything is nice and frosty.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2020, 09:55 PM   #51
cactusjack13
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

Add me to the list of broken ac in my brand new m8
Appreciate 2
      06-12-2020, 11:11 PM   #52
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack13 View Post
Add me to the list of broken ac in my brand new m8
Have you tired engaging recirc to see if it makes a diff?

Appreciate 1
      06-12-2020, 11:25 PM   #53
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Re-circulation aka "Max A/C" is just a band-aid that frankly in my wife's X5 is the only way the A/C can even catch up and function in AZ summer temperatures. If I had to "Max A/C" in the M850i with its tiny cabin vs the X5 I'd be an absolutely unhappy camper. It's just starting to sound like BMW has an issue with the M8/M8C A/C which is mind boggling as the same core components (compressor, condenser, etc.) should be equivalent across the 8-series.

Hence, my prior inquiry if anyone is tracking the build dates on the cars as there may be a corollary with a lot of bad OEM parts. Outside of that the "tweaks" to the M8/M8C within the engine bay may be the issue as the core duct work, etc. into the cabin once again should be universal.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2020, 11:43 PM   #54
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Re-circulation aka "Max A/C" is just a band-aid that frankly in my wife's X5 is the only way the A/C can even catch up and function in AZ summer temperatures. If I had to "Max A/C" in the M850i with its tiny cabin vs the X5 I'd be an absolutely unhappy camper. It's just starting to sound like BMW has an issue with the M8/M8C A/C which is mind boggling as the same core components (compressor, condenser, etc.) should be equivalent across the 8-series.

Hence, my prior inquiry if anyone is tracking the build dates on the cars as there may be a corollary with a lot of bad OEM parts. Outside of that the "tweaks" to the M8/M8C within the engine bay may be the issue as the core duct work, etc. into the cabin once again should be universal.
My reason for mentioning recirc is two fold, one that since I have been using it exclusively due to the pandemic I haven't had one issue with cooling (something did occur a while back), and two I think the issue I had/others are having may have something to do with the hvac door(s) not fully opening/closing properly perhaps allowing too much outside air in, as during my incident I tried a bunch of things and I believe engaging the recirc and going back to auto mode did the trick. I no longer have to use auto mode either, just been using recirc but will try it w/o as a test next time I take out the car. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the issue being reported is just a software glitch.

Your thoughts about builds dates is a good one and that's why I encourage members on all the auto forums I belong do always list their production dates in their sigs.

Last edited by RJC-1; 06-13-2020 at 01:13 AM..
Appreciate 2
      06-13-2020, 07:06 PM   #55
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My reason for mentioning recirc is two fold, one that since I have been using it exclusively due to the pandemic I haven't had one issue with cooling (something did occur a while back), and two I think the issue I had/others are having may have something to do with the hvac door(s) not fully opening/closing properly perhaps allowing too much outside air in, as during my incident I tried a bunch of things and I believe engaging the recirc and going back to auto mode did the trick. I no longer have to use auto mode either, just been using recirc but will try it w/o as a test next time I take out the car. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the issue being reported is just a software glitch.

Your thoughts about builds dates is a good one and that's why I encourage members on all the auto forums I belong do always list their production dates in their sigs.
Re-circulation aka Max A/C makes sense if there is an issue with the HVAC door(s) not functioning properly as that will close them and just recirculate the cabin air. So definitely a good test to see if that solves the problem as if so it points back to the HVAC door(s) or software that controls them.

I should have clarified in my "band-aid" statement that on my wife's X5 it just helps get the cabin to a cooled temperature in the summer months in about 10 minutes (seriously that is a lifetime in a 110+ degrees) and once done we'd disengage it and everything worked fine from that point on. My point being if I have to do that in the M850i with its tiny cabin area vs the X5 I'd be majorly disappointed.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2020, 08:26 PM   #56
cactusjack13
Rep

Quote:
I brought it to the dealership this morning, will update when I hear what the issue is.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2020, 10:20 PM   #57
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I brought it to the dealership this morning, will update when I hear what the issue is.
Hope it's something very simple...what dealer are you using in FL?

Appreciate 1
      06-14-2020, 12:01 AM   #58
cactusjack13
Rep

Quote:
Hope it's something very simple...what dealer are you using in FL?
Sarasota FL
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2020, 12:50 PM   #59
DadzM8
Rep
Drives: 2020 Alpine White M8 Comp

AC Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_vegas View Post
Anyone else having AC issues? My first 2020 M8 AC failed so many times in my first 30 days that BMW took the car back. My second 2020 M8 is now having the same issues. Sometimes just hot air until I shut off and restart the car. Most of the time I get hot air when I'm accelerating and cold when I'm not.

Is it just me or is this happening to any of you guys?
Tg-Vegas

I took delivery of an M8 competition Coupe yesterday. AC worked intermittently on way home. Today I only have warm air coming through the events. Even turning the temperature down to max cold in the climate control menu settings has no effect. Engine was up to temp. Turning on Max A/C had no impact. Turning car on and off also had no impact. I feel your pain. Its 90 degrees in NC today and its no fun without AC even in this car! Taking it in tomorrow to let them have a look. A/C function clearly showing in screen. I am out of ideas!
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2020, 03:23 PM   #60
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadzM8 View Post
Tg-Vegas

I took delivery of an M8 competition Coupe yesterday. AC worked intermittently on way home. Today I only have warm air coming through the events. Even turning the temperature down to max cold in the climate control menu settings has no effect. Engine was up to temp. Turning on Max A/C had no impact. Turning car on and off also had no impact. I feel your pain. Its 90 degrees in NC today and its no fun without AC even in this car! Taking it in tomorrow to let them have a look. A/C function clearly showing in screen. I am out of ideas!
This is bad. This is really, really bad. They have a systemic A/C problem in M8s that we have recognized and they either have not recognized it yet or they are willfully letting cars go out into the wild with the problem.
Appreciate 2
dds007411.00
      06-14-2020, 08:56 PM   #61
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
This is bad. This is really, really bad. They have a systemic A/C problem in M8s that we have recognized and they either have not recognized it yet or they are willfully letting cars go out into the wild with the problem.
Absolutely agree and hence the prior postings on tracking build dates to see if there is any correlation whatsoever or just flat out an overall systemic A/C issue in the M8/M8Cs. it could track to batches of OEM parts used for the compressor/condenser or just a compete failure.

It's only 100 here today but I just did a short run to the corner market to pick up some beer to enjoy during my happy hour online time this evening. I watched the RPMs on startup and before the initial "step down" the A/C was blowing cold just parked in the garage. The drive to the corner market and back had 100% flawless A/C coverage.

I know this doesn't necessarily help those with the A/C issues but rather post just to hopefully help them prove the problem given that the Phoenix climate is absolutely unforgiving when it comes to A/C requirements. That said I've been errant in reaching out to my CA to see if there have been reported M8/M8C A/C failures to their dealership. The email was just sent so will follow-up with anything he reports.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2020, 12:19 PM   #62
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
I will try again today. Put the car on a trickle charger just to make sure its not triggered by a low battery condition.

For reference, our build date is September 3, 2019
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2020, 04:40 PM   #63
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
My CA followed up this morning and is going to probe the head SA if any issues are being reported by their M8/M8C customers. I've assured him that I'll protect the innocent with any info disclosed as the sole intent is to just help the 8-series community here on Bimmerpost as that's what we do.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2020, 05:58 PM   #64
cactusjack13
Rep

Update, Got a call from dealer today, they are saying it needs a compressor
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2020, 07:05 PM   #65
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Glad they tracked it down and so quickly and hope that's the true cause. What doesn't make sense is if it's just compressors causing these issues then why did they replace the OP M8 with another vehicle? As I'm sure they must have checked his compressor

Appreciate 1
      06-15-2020, 07:09 PM   #66
DadzM8
Rep
Drives: 2020 Alpine White M8 Comp

Quote:
I just took my new M8C to the dealer this morning. They tested the vac/recharge and the compressor. The compressor was malfunctioning. My local dealer (where I did not get the car from) told me these parts have to come from Germany and their is currently a 3-4 week back order on compressors for 8 series ( what does that tell you?).

The dealer that I purchased the car have been outstanding. They are taking a compressor from a new M8C model that has just been delivered (and where the air con is functioning perfectly) and putting that in my vehicle to prevent the car from being garaged for an extended period of time. They are traveling 3h to pick up my car in a covered transporter, then taking it back to the dealership to do the fix. Apparently this is a 6-8h procedure with taking the compressor out of one and into another as it is not that accessible. They then have to bring the car back in the covered transporter and finally get back to the dealership. Service above and beyond! I think it is the right thing to do, but not all dealers would go the extra mile. Clearly a problem with these units in these cars. Wow.
Appreciate 1