M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Snow Foam /Ceramic Coating

08-04-2020, 05:51 PM   #1
Antmit
Rep
Drives: M850i

Snow Foam /Ceramic Coating

Hi. I got my M850i after upgrading from a 2008 635d and then a 2014 640i convertible, and never thought I'd love a car as much as this one! I'm in love, and eager to keep it looking as tip top as possible.

To that end, I've recently had a Ceramic Pro 2yr coating applied to it. For washing, I've got Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax, along with their wash mitt and drying towel. However, I still worry about swirl marks (it's a black car) and so I've bought a snow foam applicator for my jet washer, as well as some Auto Glym Polar Blast snowfoam.

I've always liked washing my cars but I don't always have time to do it nowadays, and I worry about too many contact washes inadvertently damaging my paintwork...or wearing the coating down prematurely. I've bought the Polar Blast in an attempt to avoid having to do contact washes as frequently, and also to reduce the time necessary to clean it. Will the PB be ok as a substitute for a contact wash, as I have read afterwards that it's meant by Autoglym to be a pre-wash only. If this is true, and people agree with that, then can someone recommend a snow foam that DOES meet my criteria, and doesn't damage the coating? I read that PB is ph-neutral, so that presumably means it is safe for the coating but thought I'd check.

Finally, does anybody use an air dryer to avoid having to manually dry and rub their paintwork as much? If so, can you recommend one that is sufficient to do the job but isn't overkill, as there are many different ones available? I don't want a petrol one as they are too loud and temperamental, so either mains powered or battery operated is preferable. My coating detailer suggested a plain leaf blower, but this feels a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a walnut since there won't be a hose system for honing in on certain areas.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 12:26 AM   #2
tg_vegas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW B8 Alpina

I've always used a leaf blower to dry my cars and motorcycles, I hate towels on a dry surface. My neighbors think I'm nuts but whatever..
Appreciate 1
kris1858555.00
      08-05-2020, 07:36 AM   #3
c^2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

Is that Meguiars going to affect the ceramic coating? To my understanding, ceramic coated cars are only compatible with certain washes
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      08-05-2020, 07:59 AM   #4
BigMofoFrog
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_vegas View Post
I've always used a leaf blower to dry my cars and motorcycles, I hate towels on a dry surface. My neighbors think I'm nuts but whatever..
Same here. I use a McKee's 37 Turbo Air dryer and it works great for getting rid of those annoying drips after a wash that streak out of the nooks and crannies of the car.
      08-05-2020, 09:25 AM   #5
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

My 8 is ceramic coated and my previous X6 had it. For four years I carefully washed the X6, but not paranoid, and did not use a blower. Given it was met black I did not notice any marking. It's a balance, it used to take me one hour for the X6, the 8 is much quicker as no step ladders are needed. 2 bucket method, decent mitts and microfibres and I think that's enough no need for a blower. I also snow foam, but I am dubious about its effects as I think just pressure washing gets more stuff off.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 10:03 AM   #6
BKgreyinTX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by c^2 View Post
Is that Meguiars going to affect the ceramic coating? To my understanding, ceramic coated cars are only compatible with certain washes
My thought as well. I have Ceramic Pro 2 year, and was told to stay away from soaps that have a wax component. I got my coating done just over a month ago, but haven't washed it myself as of yet since the applier washed it after inspecting that coating cured properly. Need to get the correct supplies before I do it myself.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      08-05-2020, 11:54 AM   #7
Antmit
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx8GC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by c^2 View Post
My thought as well. I have Ceramic Pro 2 year, and was told to stay away from soaps that have a wax component. I got my coating done just over a month ago, but haven't washed it myself as of yet since the applier washed it after inspecting that coating cured properly. Need to get the correct supplies before I do it myself.
I'd read that Meguiars was meant to be ok with ceramic coats? It wasn't the best but figured it was OK to use? Have you heard it wasn't?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 01:28 PM   #8
c^2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmit View Post
I'd read that Meguiars was meant to be ok with ceramic coats? It wasn't the best but figured it was OK to use? Have you heard it wasn't?
I can't comment on Meguiars - others on here may have more knowledge over me about it.

In between my last post, I found the wash I've been using that was given to me by the detailer that ceramic coated my car. It's called "Enigma shampoo" and I put a link below. I've had 0 issues with my car's paint and ceramic coating to date.

https://angelwaxwestcoast.com/produc...hampoo-500-ml/
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 03:47 PM   #9
BKgreyinTX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmit View Post
It probably is ok. Was reacting to the wax component as the shop that applied my coating suggested that soaps with additional wax may not be the best. Doing more research, and will report back if I find additional info.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 06:26 PM   #10
Wristdoc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8C, 2019 X7 50i

Teaser photo as I am tied up right now...I'll explain more later but yes on the foam and yes on the air drier on my ceramic coated Nardo Grey. Neighbors/friends/family think I am crazy but it works well and I would definitely do it if I had a black car! Not perfect, and often need the mitt and some light scrubbing, but is a great way to limit the swirl marks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-05-2020, 07:41 PM   #11
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Antmit I rinse with power washer, snow foam, then rinse again with power washer, then wash with wool mitt, then rinse again with power wash. Dry with small hand held garden blower. Hand finish with micro-fibre wipes.

I don't find it possible to remove the layer of fine dust that settles on the car with snow foam alone.

I recently purchased a water fed cleaning system for the windows on my house, where the garden hose water passes through a tank with resin inside which allows the water to dry spotless on the windows. So I will try that next on my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 03:35 PM   #12
hsbob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bme 650 xi grand coupe

ceramic are hard particles that are suspended in a matrix. the strength and resistance to soap, scratches are based on the matrix and not the ceramic. just a marketing gimmick.

bob merkle
ceramic engineer
Appreciate 1
Al Pinã1838.50
      08-09-2020, 04:41 PM   #13
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Be very careful using blowers to dry your car as they can kick up dirt, sand etc from the ground and blow it on to your car before your final wipe down etc..

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 07:39 PM   #14
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
FWIW, my former neighbor (passed away on Christmas Day) was a professional detailer that only really worked on high end cars and exotics, and he always said the foam was just for show, had no real impact on the job.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2020, 06:42 PM   #15
raym3cs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino M3CS

https://metrovac.com/collections/pro...18877237821513

this is all you need

filtered warm air
yes it's a bit expensive but very well worth it
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 10:14 PM   #16
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
Antmit I rinse with power washer, snow foam, then rinse again with power washer, then wash with wool mitt, then rinse again with power wash. Dry with small hand held garden blower. Hand finish with micro-fibre wipes.

I don't find it possible to remove the layer of fine dust that settles on the car with snow foam alone.

I recently purchased a water fed cleaning system for the windows on my house, where the garden hose water passes through a tank with resin inside which allows the water to dry spotless on the windows. So I will try that next on my car.
I was planning on investing in all of the equipment including a RODI water solution (which are resin based so similar to your cleaning system for the windows on the house). However, due to several factors including limited available garage storage space but primarily my laziness I found a top notch mobile detailing service that includes RODI water for pressure washing and rinse.

With the ceramic coating on the car the snow foam lifts the dust from the car so the only thing I've seen the crew do mitt wise is generally on the rockers or around the fenders where there may be some road grime. With a RODI sourced rinse with the AZ heat they just dry with microfiber towels to a spot and swirl free outcome. Right now I'm going ala cart with their service @ $60 a trip plus the $10 I tip the crew. When I actually get to drive the car on a regular basis I'll join their monthly wash club which will provide a wash a week at an overall lower cost.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      08-12-2020, 07:24 PM   #17
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
I've really tried to get a high quality mobile service - would love one - but just can't find one that would meet my / our standards.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 11:55 AM   #18
Antmit
Rep

Hi, back to topic.

I've switched to the GTechniq Citrus Foam and the G Wash. I must say I can't tell much of a difference between these and the AutoGlym and Wash n Wax I had before, but then I'm trusting other people's reviews about the former products.

I'm also going to get one of these:

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/blo-air-rs-car-blower

Seems to have a better reputation than the BigBoi Mini, although the BBM does seem to be good, too. From what I've seen, the Blo Air-RS has a slightly higher HP which might make the difference between getting the panels dried more quickly? Has anyone got experience of this one? I don't see the point in getting the BigBoi Pro as this seems to be a bit of overkill, and I'd prefer to go with a dedicated tool for the job over a leaf blower, due to the filtered air (unless this is effectively pointless)?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 12:28 PM   #19
Antmit
Rep

I’m having real buyer’s anxiety over this purchase. I like the look and spec of this one at 5.5hp, compared to the bigboi mini, which seems to be 4ish and for the same price. Does anyone have either the Blo Air-RS or the BB Mini, and can they recommend it? I saw the one someone recommended that was about $430 / £400(?), but this feels like overkill. I also saw the Blo Air GT which is about £70 more than the RS, but would 5.5HP be so less noticeable than the 8HP one? You get more hose with the GT, but given the 8 isn’t a large vehicle, I could make do. I just don’t see a great many reviews of the Blo Air products, whereas BB Minis are all over the place. Please help! LOL.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 01:09 PM   #20
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
don't need to put a wax over the ceramic. just a simple PH neutral soap and then top with a ceramic booster 1x a month and you can add a glossifier (Bead Maker) on top to add to the deep glass and slickness as part of the drying process.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0