M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Digital key now available for iPhone...

07-09-2020, 12:00 PM   #23
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
That is a very good suggestion. I was on Android for a long time and switched to iOS 4 years ago. Mmm
For something as worthless as a Digital Key?
The usability as implemented is so low I wonder why anyone would consider that.

To me, the digital key would be a game changer if it matches the physical keys functionally.
1. lock/unlock by proximity outside the car
2. Start the car by proximity inside the car

Having to pull the phone out and hold to the door and then place the phone in the charging tray to start the car is anything but convenient IMO.

Flashback; our Mercedes SL55 in 2002 had a credit card digital key that did more BMW's latest implementation and most of what I am looking for.

I understand NFC's limitations but this essentially wouldn't have to be NFC-based.

Last edited by Wolfman64; 07-09-2020 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-09-2020, 04:44 PM   #24
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Wolfman64 these are very good points.

I wonder whether the proximity need is about security. By making you get close to the door lock and forcing you to use the charging bay, it means you have to have the physical device. Meaning hackers could not remotely access the car to unlock and start.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 05:07 PM   #25
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Wolfman64 these are very good points.

I wonder whether the proximity need is about security. By making you get close to the door lock and forcing you to use the charging bay, it means you have to have the physical device. Meaning hackers could not remotely access the car to unlock and start.
I just looked and from the sound of it, it's coming. Too late for all of us to take advantage in the 8 series but perhaps the next car.
Apple's hardware and IOS already seems a step ahead...

Currently at version 2.0, Digital Key 3.0 specification is based on both Bluetooth LE and Ultra Wideband to enable passive, location-aware keyless access. This would allow you to leave your iPhone in your pocket or backpack when accessing or starting your vehicle. iPhone 11 models are equipped with an Apple-designed U1 chip with Ultra Wideband support, so Apple could choose to offer this functionality.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      07-10-2020, 12:39 AM   #26
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
I just looked and from the sound of it, it's coming. Too late for all of us to take advantage in the 8 series but perhaps the next car.
Apple's hardware and IOS already seems a step ahead...

Currently at version 2.0, Digital Key 3.0 specification is based on both Bluetooth LE and Ultra Wideband to enable passive, location-aware keyless access. This would allow you to leave your iPhone in your pocket or backpack when accessing or starting your vehicle. iPhone 11 models are equipped with an Apple-designed U1 chip with Ultra Wideband support, so Apple could choose to offer this functionality.
Three thumbs up (if I could only do so) but the best I can do is . I just read up on the Digital Key 3.0 specification and it is exactly what we're all looking for as a true replacement for the traditional key fob and comfort access. Apple is indeed well prepared but there are other chip manufacturers in the game as well that other Smartphone manufactures will OEM into their devices to meet the need. Interestingly enough the standards body driving all of this, i.e., the Car Connectivity Consortium has both Apple and BMW on their board of directors along with Samsung (hello Digital Key 2.0 in our 8-series) along with others in the auto manufacturing world https://carconnectivity.org/members/.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #27
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
iOS 13.6 was released by Apple in the last 24 hours. This adds the car lock/activation software.

You can read how to activate your key here:

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT211234

For BMW models it will require a 'key' in the BMW Connected app to then sync with the Apple Wallet with your car lock.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 11:52 PM   #28
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
iOS 13.6 was released by Apple in the last 24 hours. This adds the car lock/activation software.

You can read how to activate your key here:

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT211234

For BMW models it will require a 'key' in the BMW Connected app to then sync with the Apple Wallet with your car lock.
Thanks for the update and pulling down 13.6 now. My work iPhone (iPhone XS) meets all the requirements so the million dollar question is whether the Connected Drive app will recognize the M850i with the capability or not. So far in the Android App it does recognize the digital key but given I'm on a Google Pixel 3XL vs a Samsung it will not activate.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 12:55 AM   #29
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
I've done the iOS install and alas there is no digital key in BMW Connected App to sync with. I understand the 5 series is the first to receive....go figure.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 09:44 PM   #30
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

watch this short video on youtube, I hope it answers all your questions, you can also get more answers from the Q&A below the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      07-19-2020, 11:24 PM   #31
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
BeeMdblU thank you!

For those who want the short cut:

- according to the presenter if your car has the feature that enables auto lock/unlock on departure/approach from the vehicle AND you have the digital key (the physical credit card key)

- then you will get a digital iPhone key for your vehicle through the in-app/vehicle software upgrade whenever that happens in your country.

bloozemanAZ was right all along.

You bewdy.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 09:31 PM   #32
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
BeeMdblU thank you!

For those who want the short cut:

- according to the presenter if your car has the feature that enables auto lock/unlock on departure/approach from the vehicle AND you have the digital key (the physical credit card key)

- then you will get a digital iPhone key for your vehicle through the in-app/vehicle software upgrade whenever that happens in your country.

bloozemanAZ was right all along.

You bewdy.
Well, sanity prevails as we are on Digital Key 2.0 vs 3.0 (the future with greater distances to mimic a true "Comfort Access" experience) so it is all about the software on the Car and of course the latest iOS app on the phone.

That said not sure if anyone has read the comments on the video but apparently the 07/2020.XX OTA (including Android Auto) has bricked some iDrive units so now it may be dealer install only.
UPDATE 7/10/20: The iDrive system locked up when the Android Auto feature was pushed remotely. In order to limit any potential frustration with this, customers will now need to have Android Auto installed via BMW Service. This will be a wired connection which will avoid the iDrive lockup. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your understanding as this is a new situation which is still developing.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2020, 08:51 AM   #33
Coops395
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 840d Msport/ 2018 M2

My 8 was built march 2020 and i updated the car software remotely today and my iPhone pro is running beta iOS 14, the bmw connected app is up to date with the latest version. I tried all ways to get the digital key to work but no, as the screen shot from bmw below shows.. unless you are signed in with your car on the bmw connected drive app and under the vehicle tab and there is a section marked 'Digital Key' it looks like me and many people with cars that are literally months old will not be able to have this function.

Unless Bmw retrospectively provides this with another software update it looks like we miss out.. well, here in the UK.
Attached Images

07-22-2020, 10:26 AM   #34
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops395 View Post
My 8 was built march 2020 and i updated the car software remotely today and my iPhone pro is running beta iOS 14, the bmw connected app is up to date with the latest version. I tried all ways to get the digital key to work but no, as the screen shot from bmw below shows.. unless you are signed in with your car on the bmw connected drive app and under the vehicle tab and there is a section marked 'Digital Key' it looks like me and many people with cars that are literally months old will not be able to have this function.

Unless Bmw retrospectively provides this with another software update it looks like we miss out.. well, here in the UK.
It’s not software, it’s additional hardware, I don’t think it’ll be available for any 8 Series car, even manufactured post July.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 05:14 PM   #35
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

New isn't always better. Remember, the 8-series may wear the G80 grill one day
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 06:35 PM   #36
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops395 View Post

What version of iDrive do you have in the car now after the OTA update? I'm guessing it is not 07/2020 which will be required for the iOS Digital Key as well as Android Auto. Unless the BMW Genius in the video posted a few days back in the thread is completely wrong (always a possibility) all 8-series has the needed hardware.

Basically what was released by Apple for the Digital Key is still on the 2.0 standard (NFC based) vs the looming 3.0 standard (which will be BLE and UWB based with different hardware in the cars and phones to support). Basically, any BMW today with NFC and the NFC based digital credit card key will work once updated with the proper 07/2020 iDrive update.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 06:37 PM   #37
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
It’s not software, it’s additional hardware, I don’t think it’ll be available for any 8 Series car, even manufactured post July.
See my last post as apparently this is not the situation whatsoever but rather the needed 07/2020 iDrive release plus the proper iOS version, iPhone hardware and latest iOS Connected Drive app. I have all of the Apple side requirements in play now so just need the 07/2020 iDrive update.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 12:22 AM   #38
simsimma777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
See my last post as apparently this is not the situation whatsoever but rather the needed 07/2020 iDrive release plus the proper iOS version, iPhone hardware and latest iOS Connected Drive app. I have all of the Apple side requirements in play now so just need the 07/2020 iDrive update.
I have all those pieces in place and no go on the digital key. Looks like there is in fact a hardware component required, unfortunately.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2020, 01:59 PM   #39
CSL335i
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: M2 and...

Above all of the requirements, that all of you mentioned,
there is also a key requirement. Once a car is linked to a ConnectedDrive account, BMW should enable the Digital Key related to given car/VIN via BMW online software.

My M8C arrived last week, not yet assigned to connected drive account, but my tech guy showed me the online software, where they should enable Digital Key by checking a checkbox....
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      07-28-2020, 09:07 AM   #40
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Update the BMW Connected app and you will have a digital key to unlock and start your car from your iPhone.

It is available for all 8 series vehicles MANUFACTURED AFTER JULY 1ST 2020!

WTF?

That's two days ago.

This means that none of us - none of us - will have this feature!!!

Can you friggin' believe it??

Well yes I can ladies and gentlemen.

Thank you BMW.
Chill, your car can have the OTA updates released in July which is this month to enable this feature if your car has the bmw digital key option
      07-28-2020, 09:09 AM   #41
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Quote:
That is a very good suggestion. I was on Android for a long time and switched to iOS 4 years ago. Mmm
For something as worthless as a Digital Key?
The usability as implemented is so low I wonder why anyone would consider that.

To me, the digital key would be a game changer if it matches the physical keys functionally.
1. lock/unlock by proximity outside the car
2. Start the car by proximity inside the car

Having to pull the phone out and hold to the door and then place the phone in the charging tray to start the car is anything but convenient IMO.

Flashback; our Mercedes SL55 in 2002 had a credit card digital key that did more BMW's latest implementation and most of what I am looking for.

I understand NFC's limitations but this essentially wouldn't have to be NFC-based.
I would prefer to think that the BMW digital key feature would be more of a convenience feature if you lost your key when you are out and need to drive off immediately due to safety or urgent issues where the phone can act as a backup to your bmw key.
      07-28-2020, 09:13 AM   #42
BKgreyinTX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinisahabit View Post
I have all those pieces in place and no go on the digital key. Looks like there is in fact a hardware component required, unfortunately.
This is my experience as well. Latest iOS and 7/2020, and no digital key.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2020, 07:22 PM   #43
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx8GC View Post
This is my experience as well. Latest iOS and 7/2020, and no digital key.
Circling back on this as I remembered a couple of things from my research before the M850i landed in which I tried to determine if my Pixel 3XL would work for the initially supported Android digital key. Of course that turned out to be a big "no" considering the only manufacturer in the Android space supported for the solution is Samsung.

I just went back to some of those old posts (X5 forum and other sources) as I had them bookmarked. The following is an outline of the steps to activate and I'll assume that there will be no difference with the IoS digital key:
  1. Download the BMW ConnectedDrive App and Create Account
  2. Verify Ownership at Your BMW Dealer with an ID
  3. Install the Digital Key on Your Smartphone
  4. Create a 4-Digit Code to Share the Digital Key
  5. Use the Digital Key to Unlock Your Car Doors
  6. Place Your Smartphone on the Wireless Charging Pad
  7. Keep Vehicle Key with You the First Time
  8. Press Activate on the BMW iDrive Touchscreen
  9. Use Your Digital Key to Start Your Vehicle

The key being step #2 as the BMW dealer has to do something on their end to enable it. So those of you with 07/2020 installed for iDrive and have the rest of the Apple requirements you may need to visit your dealer to get it fully activated.

The last thing I remembered was a cell phone carrier specific aspect. I couldn't find all of those references in my bookmarks but did find one regarding Verizon not supporting the solution at least for a poster that had all of the Samsung hardware requirements whom followed the above steps. Sadly if that still holds true my work provided Apple XS (which meets all of the requirements) will still not work as it is on Verizon.
Appreciate 2
Ozzie8641.00
      08-22-2020, 05:21 AM   #44
J400uk
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 840i Convertible

Anyone had any further luck with this?

I am keen to get it working as it sounds like with the right software it should be supported on a pre-July 2020 8 series
Appreciate 1