M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8 Coupe vs Gran Coupe

01-07-2024, 02:27 PM   #1
Krzys
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i, BMW M8 Comp, 911

M8 Coupe vs Gran Coupe

I apologize for bringing up a topic that has come up here many many times before, but my questions are a bit specific.

I'm about to sign a deal for M8 Gran Coupe on Monday, but they have an identical (color scheme wise) coupe available, and i'm wondering if that might not be a better choice.
I just gave up an M8 Comp Convertible and that will be the replacement. I really enjoyed the vert, but here in Denver top down driving gets punished by the sun so I'm switching.
What i really enjoy about the M8 platform is the fact that when driven enthusiastically it shows amazing turn in as long as you stay on power. Very heavy car, but it dives into corners with purpose.

Now, speaking of turn in. The coupe is lighter and clearly performs better (judging by various track tests). However, the Gran Coupe has wider front, which should definitely help with turn in. Anybody with the comparative experience who could shed some light on the topic?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 03:22 PM   #2
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzys View Post
I apologize for bringing up a topic that has come up here many many times before, but my questions are a bit specific.

I'm about to sign a deal for M8 Gran Coupe on Monday, but they have an identical (color scheme wise) coupe available, and i'm wondering if that might not be a better choice.
I just gave up an M8 Comp Convertible and that will be the replacement. I really enjoyed the vert, but here in Denver top down driving gets punished by the sun so I'm switching.
What i really enjoy about the M8 platform is the fact that when driven enthusiastically it shows amazing turn in as long as you stay on power. Very heavy car, but it dives into corners with purpose.

Now, speaking of turn in. The coupe is lighter and clearly performs better (judging by various track tests). However, the Gran Coupe has wider front, which should definitely help with turn in. Anybody with the comparative experience who could shed some light on the topic?
Vic55
Appreciate 1
Vic5519478.00
      01-08-2024, 09:28 AM   #3
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

I have owned both and still have the coupe- My thoughts via ownership and what I do with it:

I dont track the cars so the weight difference is negligible in performance (GC holds its weight well being the widest BMW ever) and the interiors are the same so thats a wash.

For me its a clear toss up as the looks are subjective and the GC just looks like a mean long beast but the coupe is classy and has that aggressive look with two doors and screams "Im a sports looking car!!" while the GC with the 4 doors is a more functional use vehicle with back seats.

Performance is really not an issue on the street, they are very close and numerous draggy posts here will dictate. A non pre meditated race would be a toss up with who gets the jump IMHO as a dual owner.

Where I can tell some differences is in chassis feedback and nimbleness feel. The coupe is about 10 inches shorter and turn and turn out is noticeable- is it exponentially better, no- but I can tell and feel the change. The GC is the more stable car in the straights and the expressway at speed (over 100) with the longer wheelbase it just soaks up the road better while the coupe is more raw. Steering is --- I just cant remember the GC steering feel and feedback because that was about 3 years ago when I had it but I think the coupe actually is easier to point and shoot (obviously due to the chassis size).

Exhaust is where I noticed things pretty quickly on- the coupe is louder because the length of the car and because the rear is that much closer to the driver's ears. Even my tuner Ben (RG Sport) was very surprised at the sound of the coupe vs the GC stock to stock (he worked on both). He felt like the Coupe stock already had the resonator removed (Ive done that on both and did 2ndary dps too now).

It really is a win win choice here- the more elegantly stated GC vs the aggressive coupe. Im glad I have had both and would role reverse for sure if I had the coupe first.

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black

Last edited by Vic55; 01-08-2024 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 5
      01-10-2024, 09:46 AM   #4
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzys View Post
...here in Denver top down driving gets punished by the sun so I'm switching...
Hope you're not expecting any sympathy about too much sun from us up here in a very grey Scotland
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 02:50 PM   #5
Krzys
Rep

Too much of a good thing...It's sunnier here than in south Florida and we are a mile up. It's no accident that Denver is the melanoma capital of the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Hope you're not expecting any sympathy about too much sun from us up here in a very grey Scotland
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 03:04 PM   #6
Krzys
Rep

Thank you for your insights. I went with the Gran Coupe and I'm very happy with the decision.

It feels tighter and lighter than the vert and is even more hilariously eager to turn in. I'm pretty shocked at how aggressively it is set-up. Another clear improvement is the transmission calibration. In the vert, it was easy to get caught out in too high a gear even in the most aggressive setting.

I considered the Panamera turbo S as an alternative, but the Porsche feels a little bit artificial in its responses compared to the M8. It must be the air suspension. No wonder it cannot keep up with the Gran Coupe on the track. I thought the lack of air suspension on the M8 will make it ride much worse, but it's not bad at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
I have owned both and still have the coupe- My thoughts via ownership and what I do with it:

I dont track the cars so the weight difference is negligible in performance (GC holds its weight well being the widest BMW ever) and the interiors are the same so thats a wash.

For me its a clear toss up as the looks are subjective and the GC just looks like a mean long beast but the coupe is classy and has that aggressive look with two doors and screams "Im a sports looking car!!" while the GC with the 4 doors is a more functional use vehicle with back seats.

Performance is really not an issue on the street, they are very close and numerous draggy posts here will dictate. A non pre meditated race would be a toss up with who gets the jump IMHO as a dual owner.

Where I can tell some differences is in chassis feedback and nimbleness feel. The coupe is about 10 inches shorter and turn and turn out is noticeable- is it exponentially better, no- but I can tell and feel the change. The GC is the more stable car in the straights and the expressway at speed (over 100) with the longer wheelbase it just soaks up the road better while the coupe is more raw. Steering is --- I just cant remember the GC steering feel and feedback because that was about 3 years ago when I had it but I think the coupe actually is easier to point and shoot (obviously due to the chassis size).

Exhaust is where I noticed things pretty quickly on- the coupe is louder because the length of the car and because the rear is that much closer to the driver's ears. Even my tuner Ben (RG Sport) was very surprised at the sound of the coupe vs the GC stock to stock (he worked on both). He felt like the Coupe stock already had the resonator removed (Ive done that on both and did 2ndary dps too now).

It really is a win win choice here- the more elegantly stated GC vs the aggressive coupe. Im glad I have had both and would role reverse for sure if I had the coupe first.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 03:10 PM   #7
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

I always figured that the reason people got the GC largely fell on whether they needed full sized rear seats or not.

I mean, the GC is a few hundred lbs heavier, so unless you need to carry people in the rear, the coupe sounds like the better performance car.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q
Appreciate 1
Vic5519478.00
      01-10-2024, 04:46 PM   #8
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
I always figured that the reason people got the GC largely fell on whether they needed full sized rear seats or not.

I mean, the GC is a few hundred lbs heavier, so unless you need to carry people in the rear, the coupe sounds like the better performance car.
And the vert is even heavier that the GC--- it all adds up at some point.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2024, 05:20 PM   #9
Krzys
Rep

No doubt and track tests show that the coupe is a significantly better performer. OTOH, wider front and longer wheelbase mean that it's gonna be way easier to drift the Gran Coupe than the Coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 09:30 PM   #10
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

[QUOTE=Vic55;30794977]

I call BS. These can't be your cars. They are all parked neatly in spaces!
Appreciate 1
Vic5519478.00
      01-11-2024, 12:05 AM   #11
downeykp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 M8 coupe 2019 Colorado ZR2

Good point. must be someone else's cars.
Appreciate 1
Vic5519478.00
      01-11-2024, 12:53 AM   #12
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

I enjoyed driving my coupe more, but for my needs, the convenience of back seats and extra room trumps the driving experience

But ya.. Ditto to everything Vic said
Appreciate 1
Vic5519478.00
      01-11-2024, 07:26 AM   #13
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post

I call BS. These can't be your cars. They are all parked neatly in spaces!
I was very focused those days sir ...

But Ill be sure to not let you down going forward.
Appreciate 1
snareman9069.50
      01-11-2024, 07:33 AM   #14
10TrillionUSDT
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M8 GC Comp

Definitely a GC for me. Picked it up last month. 2024.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 09:14 AM   #15
Van_bimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m850 GC

It was the GC for me for the sole aesthetic reason of the coupe not having any moonroof or sunroof, the GC has that beautiful pano roof which really opens up and brightens the interior.
As I’m typing this I realize the M8’s in and coupe and GC form might only have the Carbon roof?
May or may not be important to you though.
1999 Mercedes SL500
1980 Mercedes 450SL
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 05:20 PM   #16
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van_bimmer View Post
It was the GC for me for the sole aesthetic reason of the coupe not having any moonroof or sunroof, the GC has that beautiful pano roof which really opens up and brightens the interior.
As I’m typing this I realize the M8’s in and coupe and GC form might only have the Carbon roof?
May or may not be important to you though.
On M8's the CF is the standard---

Im used to it on all my M cars---or at least the ones that had that as the OEM fitment
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 03:20 PM   #17
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

Vic, what were the tire sizes on the GC front/back? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 03:41 PM   #18
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopai View Post
Vic, what were the tire sizes on the GC front/back? Thanks
275x35x20
285x35x20

Both coupe and gc (Ms)