M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Suspension advice on M8?

07-10-2022, 12:54 AM   #1
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Suspension advice on M8?

Has anyone lowered their M8 coupe? I threw on 21" BBS FIRs with MP4S 285/30/21 and 295/30/21, and on my M5 I had H&R springs and they were the perfect drop. Tire rack has H&R sport springs for the M8, does anyone have them? I heard they are a better ride than KW has?

On the M5, the springs were actually for a 550i and worked perfectly on the M5. I wonder if the 850i springs would be better on the M5? The M8 springs are 1.2-1.3inch drop, which is pretty aggressive.

Thoughts?

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2022, 02:11 AM   #2
moonM8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M8GC, 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
Has anyone lowered their M8 coupe? I threw on 21" BBS FIRs with MP4S 285/30/21 and 295/30/21, and on my M5 I had H&R springs and they were the perfect drop. Tire rack has H&R sport springs for the M8, does anyone have them? I heard they are a better ride than KW has?

On the M5, the springs were actually for a 550i and worked perfectly on the M5. I wonder if the 850i springs would be better on the M5? The M8 springs are 1.2-1.3inch drop, which is pretty aggressive.

Thoughts?
I personally like KW more. I have the Variant 4s but if you don't want to spend that much a lot of the M8 guys ride HAS. r33_RGSport can give you his insight and help you out.
Appreciate 2
      07-11-2022, 08:56 AM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonM8 View Post
I personally like KW more. I have the Variant 4s but if you don't want to spend that much a lot of the M8 guys ride HAS. r33_RGSport can give you his insight and help you out.
Thank you for the tag.

Quote:

Thoughts?
No, on the M8, it is totally different.
H&R spring is do-able, but most of my customers always get the KW HAS at the very least.
Let me know if you need a quote.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2022, 11:38 AM   #4
Info@mad-us.com
Major General
Rep
Drives: bmw

I'd go with the KW Has kit.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2022, 07:41 PM   #5
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Quote:
Thank you for the tag.

Quote:

Thoughts?
H&R spring is do-able, but most of my customers always get the KW HAS at the very least.
Let me know on the price. Thansk

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 2
      07-11-2022, 10:47 PM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Let me know on the price. Thansk
PM'ed
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2022, 11:58 PM   #7
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for the tag.

Quote:

Thoughts?
The KW HAS is 5x more and the max drop is only .8. The H&R springs felt like the same quality ride on my M5, which has similar suspension. You said M8 is totally different, how?

Appreciate 2
      07-12-2022, 11:33 AM   #8
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The KW HAS is 5x more and the max drop is only .8. The H&R springs felt like the same quality ride on my M5, which has similar suspension. You said M8 is totally different, how?
To tell you the truth, I haven't done any M8 Coupe with M850 spring.
First, the rarity of Coupe and Convertible itself.
Second, guys with F90 M5 did M550 spring because one person took the risk and gave it a shot and liking it.
I did the same to limeypride first F93 M8 with M550 spring since it is a very identical suspension setup to the F90 M5. But, he ended up changing to KW HAS.

So, if you are willing to take the risk to try M850 coupe spring on your M8 coupe, it would be a great feedback to forum members on how the outcome will be.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2022, 09:07 PM   #9
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Second, guys with F90 M5 did M550 spring because one person took the risk and gave it a shot and liking it.
I did the same to limeypride first F93 M8 with M550 spring since it is a very identical suspension setup to the F90 M5. But, he ended up changing to KW HAS.

So, if you are willing to take the risk to try M850 coupe spring on your M8 coupe, it would be a great feedback to forum members on how the outcome will be.
Thanks for the info. Why did he change the M550 springs to KW has on his M8? Too low? Or the ride feel?

Appreciate 2
      07-12-2022, 09:08 PM   #10
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the info. Why did he change the M550 springs to KW has on his M8? Too low? Or the ride feel?
KW HAS rides better.
I tagged him on my previous reply, so let's wait for him to reply.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2022, 09:16 PM   #11
Tethys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp, 330i, Camaro SS

Garage List
I have the KW HAS springs on my coupe and honestly wish I hadn't installed them, it rides way rougher than stock, so much I am having my guy raise it back up some to hopefully cut some of that out. What's the point of adding lowering springs if you have to raise it back up, I didn't spend $150,000 on a car so it can ride like a low rider truck on air bags bouncing down the road.
Appreciate 2
M8Bimmer1274.00
      07-12-2022, 11:52 PM   #12
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys View Post
I have the KW HAS springs on my coupe and honestly wish I hadn't installed them, it rides way rougher than stock, so much I am having my guy raise it back up some to hopefully cut some of that out. What's the point of adding lowering springs if you have to raise it back up, I didn't spend $150,000 on a car so it can ride like a low rider truck on air bags bouncing down the road.
Thank you for this feedback. We have the same car, and that's always my worry. I want to "look" with my 21s but I don't want to lose the ride feel. I put H&R springs on my M5 and it rode like stock, so maybe I'll try the 850i springs and see if they are a good ride. Only $259, so it's not a big investment like paying 2k+ for the KW HaS + install.

Appreciate 1
      07-13-2022, 06:30 AM   #13
Tethys
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for this feedback. We have the same car, and that's always my worry. I want to "look" with my 21s but I don't want to lose the ride feel. I put H&R springs on my M5 and it rode like stock, so maybe I'll try the 850i springs and see if they are a good ride. Only $259, so it's not a big investment like paying 2k+ for the KW HaS + install.
I definitely would, I wish I would have gone that route myself but I read reviews of then saying they rode like stock. Take my word on it they do not and the car is bouncy as hell, especially in the rear, I'm hoping having it raised up a tad will help with that. If not I'll probably take them back off, it looks good but the ride feels like a slammed Japanese car with the wheels turned out if you know what I mean.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2022, 08:36 AM   #14
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

KW HAS rides better.
I tagged him on my previous reply, so let's wait for him to reply.
Yup. Ben has it right. The H&Rs were back-cripplingly jarring. The KW setup is a big improvement but it's still a harder ride than stock but looks soooo much better.
Appreciate 3
Padfan9814.00
      07-13-2022, 08:42 AM   #15
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
I spent hours looking at posts and YouTube video on this topic. I don’t care if my ride looks 4WDish, but that’s just me. It looks fine but not as kewl as lowered version.

The stock M850 was crap on the track, and that was expected, but haven’t had the M8 out yet because I only have 1200 km on it. Yeah, I know.

r33_RGSport How many of your clients have purchased the full coil over kit? The full meal deal. Surely we get best of both worlds in this $6000 purchase.
Appreciate 2
      07-13-2022, 08:53 AM   #16
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Thrillride View Post
I spent hours looking at posts and YouTube video on this topic. I don't care if my ride looks 4WDish, but that's just me. It looks fine but not as kewl as lowered version.

The stock M850 was crap on the track, and that was expected, but haven't had the M8 out yet because I only have 1200 km on it. Yeah, I know.

r33_RGSport How many of your clients have purchased the full coil over kit? The full meal deal. Surely we get best of both worlds in this $6000 purchase.
So far, only 1 local customer that's putting on a KW V4. moonM8

limeypride , Is it?
When I drove my local customer's M8C GC with KW HAS, it felt softer than stock.
I have to put on the suspension setting to sport to make it better.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2022, 09:03 AM   #17
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Quote:
I spent hours looking at posts and YouTube video on this topic. I don't care if my ride looks 4WDish, but that's just me. It looks fine but not as kewl as lowered version.

The stock M850 was crap on the track, and that was expected, but haven't had the M8 out yet because I only have 1200 km on it. Yeah, I know.

limeypride , Is it?
Most definitely. I drove my '22 for 600 miles or so stock and then had the KW installed. There's a noticeable difference.
Appreciate 4
r33_RGSport12997.50
Padfan9814.00
      07-13-2022, 05:26 PM   #18
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I definitely would, I wish I would have gone that route myself but I read reviews of then saying they rode like stock. Take my word on it they do not and the car is bouncy as hell, especially in the rear, I'm hoping having it raised up a tad will help with that. If not I'll probably take them back off, it looks good but the ride feels like a slammed Japanese car with the wheels turned out if you know what I mean.
That sounds awful, sorry man. I'll let you know about the springs I decide on.

Appreciate 1
      07-13-2022, 07:39 PM   #19
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, that's the first.
Maybe installation issue?
I never heard KW HAS bouncing.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2022, 02:08 AM   #20
moonM8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M8GC, 2019 X5

Quote:
Quote:

limeypride , Is it?
Sometimes you just need the full meal. And yes you get the best of both worlds, and then some.
Appreciate 2
      07-14-2022, 06:38 AM   #21
Tethys
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hmm, that's the first.
I don't see how it could have been installed incorrectly, it's just that it's so low and the there isn't much spring travel now. I'm hoping raising it a small amount will help.
Appreciate 2
      07-14-2022, 08:58 AM   #22
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hmm, that's the first.
I don't see how it could have been installed incorrectly, it's just that it's so low and the there isn't much spring travel now. I'm hoping raising it a small amount will help.
Well, wrong adjustment is also part of installation issue.
I've also seen a few where installer just grab and slap. Not even double checking the part# and just assume.
I can say that, because all the KW HAS that I've done been perfectly fine. Unfortunately, most of them are GranCoupe.
I only done a few Coupe and Convertible on H&R or MSS.
Appreciate 1