M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Things that annoy you at the gym

02-20-2020, 04:10 PM   #2597
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
This is one of the many reasons I could never work out at a public gym. This and 100 other forms of rudeness. I was made to take swimming lessons at the Y as a kid against my will. That place was a shithole. Now that I'm all grown up, I wouldn't go to a gym for any price. I'm on the bike 8-10 hours a week year-round, and I do a dumbbell and kettle bell workout at home 3 or 4 times a week. I do all kinds of physical chores at my cabin; I fell and split and stack 10 cords of firewood a year. I need a gym about like Stevie Wonder needs a telescope.
Are those Canadian or American cords?

One of the first things I do after getting the fire going at the cabin is splitting more wood. . .
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2020, 05:09 PM   #2598
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Are those Canadian or American cords?

One of the first things I do after getting the fire going at the cabin is splitting more wood. . .
American cords, 4' x 4' x 8'. I have a couple of metal carports that I bought as kits and set them up as firewood sheds. They're 12' wide, 20' long, and about 7' tall inside. I split into one and burn out of the other. That way I'm always burning wood that had at least one summer to dry. Each usually lasts about a year. Will have some left this year, as it hasn't been as cold. Have a smaller separate shed just for birch, which I burn in the sauna. And another shed near the firepit for "junk" wood to burn there.
      02-20-2020, 06:53 PM   #2599
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

We just pile it up about 6 feet high upslope from a living tree, then cover with a tarp. All the new rounds that need splitting after a year of sitting are next to the outdoor pit. All the bark that comes off goes in that fire, not that I need to stay warm when chopping!!

I dislike clothing, especially shirts. It cool to see how soon I can get down to bare BACK when it's below freezing and snow on the ground

I have yet to lose my pants in the snow
      02-20-2020, 08:15 PM   #2600
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
We just pile it up about 6 feet high upslope from a living tree, then cover with a tarp. All the new rounds that need splitting after a year of sitting are next to the outdoor pit. All the bark that comes off goes in that fire, not that I need to stay warm when chopping!!

I dislike clothing, especially shirts. It cool to see how soon I can get down to bare BACK when it's below freezing and snow on the ground

I have yet to lose my pants in the snow
I split some last weekend at about 5 degrees. Took off the Carhartt coat after about 5 minutes. Took off the flannel shirt after another five. Ended up in a short-sleeve t-shirt, jeans, boots and gloves. No hat, since it wasn't windy. I was still sweating like a blacksmith. When I quit and put away all the gear, my hair froze solid when I ran the 4-wheeler around to the other end of the pole barn.
      02-21-2020, 02:44 AM   #2601
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Into my gym they have also a large spinning room and a gymnastics room. What I really hate when some members on the way/from there who are chatting as much as loudly, that Im be able to hear them through my headphones and above the music though.
Same thing for some women which hadn't got the next-to-near stepper or running band and chat to each other via one in between, and that's mine.
The Ooo-ra! gang, lifting loudly heavy weights and drop them with gruntling noises - and let the equipment stay at their dropped places, no clean up afterwards.
Im sure, every one has sometimes its rants about others

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 07:06 AM   #2602
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Happy that my gym doesn't seem to have a lot of these problems. Since it's smaller and a little more expensive for the area ($40/mo, not really expensive but it's in an area thats more run down) everyone in it is polite and clean. Theres a rule in the gym that you have to wipe down seats/benches after your workout, and people follow it to a tee. I never see anyone that forgets to do it. As for the loud conversation stuff you need some better ear phones man or turn the music up! Unless they are being as loud as you stated, but I can't imagine people just yelling in the gym lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 07:41 AM   #2603
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

I pay weekly converted around 18 bucks, have free isotonic drinks, solarium, sauna and for me most important: Free trainers included, hadn't to hire separately, assist you at training plans, food and low carbs…
Its more exclusively by price, not necessarily by interior or members. Sometimes I wonder how some guys could afford the fees, but ok.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 07:44 AM   #2604
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
I pay weekly converted around 18 bucks, have free isotonic drinks, solarium, sauna and for me most important: Free trainers included, hadn't to hire separately, assist you at training plans, food and low carbs…
Its more exclusively by price, not necessarily by interior or members. Sometimes I wonder how some guys could afford the fees, but ok.
Wish I had a sauna, the other things don't matter to much to me, but seems like a solid price. I am very envious of that sauna. My gym years ago had one, and nothing felt better after a long workout then 5-10 minutes in there just getting a good sweat out!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 09:31 AM   #2605
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
How bad does it have to get before the management of the gym would even say something to somebody such as this stinker?
It will never happen. In today's society most establishments would rather lose all their customers than offend someone by telling them they stink.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      03-06-2020, 09:56 AM   #2606
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Show them how to pose with less clothes on and take the photos for them
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      03-10-2020, 07:49 AM   #2607
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Show them how to pose with less clothes on and take the photos for them
"I'm a professional photographer. You may have heard of my company called Casting Couch?"

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      03-10-2020, 08:25 AM   #2608
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Ah yes a fine establishment
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      03-11-2020, 01:32 PM   #2609
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Last night, twice I had someone come over and take weights off of my bench that I was going to use for my next set with them knowing full well I was on that bench. The first one with some chick that grabbed a 25lb plate off my bench just as I was getting up from finishing a set. I wanted to throw the other 25lb plate I had on the bench at the back of her head. Especially since there was an empty bench right behind mine that had a 25lb plate there.

Second time last night, I didn't catch who ever it was that took the 10s I was going to use at the incline bench as I had just returned from getting a drink at the water fountain. What the hell is wrong with people?
This happens to me constantly. I honestly don't mind if someone asks if they can grab one. 90% of the time, I'm not about to use it. It's simple politeness. Sadly, I only get asked maybe 5% of the time.

The other thing that kills me are the guys wearing the capri/sweatpants. I live in S. FL, where it's hot as hell for one almost year round, so wear shorts. But man, having on pants that cut-off at mid-shin makes you look like you stole your girl's out of her drawer to wear.

I also am constantly wanting to correct people (mostly older 50+) who I see doing exercises incorrectly, with bad form, or just doing stuff that there's no way it's actually working anything whatsoever.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      03-18-2020, 02:44 PM   #2610
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Surprised no one's mentioned....thing's that annoy you at the gym.....is when it's closed!

Seriously though....stay safe everyone!
PoorLurker1135.00
King Rudi13152.00
      03-18-2020, 03:04 PM   #2611
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Yeah that's the real bummer now, coronavirus is killing my gains bro
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      03-18-2020, 03:19 PM   #2612
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Surprised no one's mentioned....thing's that annoy you at the gym.....is when it's closed!

So far so good on my end! Dreading them closing though because I know it is coming eventually.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      03-19-2020, 08:45 AM   #2613
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:

Exactly. The interesting thing is before the forced closure there were maybe at most 20 people in the gym at any given time when I went. This was well below the guidance of no more than 50 people. The staff was cleaning/wiping down the equipment when I was there. They had plenty of wipes available for us to use. I didn't see any problems with the exception of some people there violating the 6 ft rule being near each other. When I was there, I didn't bother asking for a spot.

I just got my home gym set up last night. So let's see how well the equipment I have will be keeping my gains. I already ran into some issues while working out wishing I had X equipment. My neighbor and I were talking and he has a membership with Anytime Fitness. So he's going to go to the neighboring state which hasn't shut down their gyms. But said he might want to come over and use my home gym.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      03-22-2020, 11:38 PM   #2614
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUYWITHHOMEGYM View Post
Yeah that's the real bummer now, coronavirus is killing my gains bro
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 10:07 AM   #2615
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:

Was coming here to comment on just this.

Since the spare bedroom/office is now my new gym, my biggest complaint is that there isn't anyone to laugh at, check out, talk to or give shit to (I like to pick on guys twice my size).

For now, my biggest annoyance at the gym is the lack of equipment. Having some serious cable machine withdrawals. I've taken quite the shine with the one at the gym. My triceps need some love. I think I'm going to rig a rope, sheet or towel up to the chin up bar tonight then hang a kettle bell off of it so I can hit the tri's this way.

Last night I had my first real parallette workout. F'n ouch, that planche business is no joke. Oddly enough I had a hard time with the L sit but could pull off the planche. I feel like I've been beaten with a cane this morning. Good workout though.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      03-24-2020, 11:37 AM   #2616
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Was coming here to comment on just this.

Since the spare bedroom/office is now my new gym, my biggest complaint is that there isn't anyone to laugh at, check out, talk to or give shit to (I like to pick on guys twice my size).

For now, my biggest annoyance at the gym is the lack of equipment. Having some serious cable machine withdrawals. I've taken quite the shine with the one at the gym. My triceps need some love. I think I'm going to rig a rope, sheet or towel up to the chin up bar tonight then hang a kettle bell off of it so I can hit the tri's this way.

Last night I had my first real parallette workout. F'n ouch, that planche business is no joke. Oddly enough I had a hard time with the L sit but could pull off the planche. I feel like I've been beaten with a cane this morning. Good workout though.
Close grip push-ups are your friend. Easy way to crush your triceps as long as form is proper. If you have dumbbells, even light weight you can do over head extensions either single hand or double depending on the weight. You can also do bench dips on common household furniture. Keep after it!
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
King Rudi13152.00
      03-24-2020, 11:44 AM   #2617
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthjennings View Post
those people who go to the gym and take selfies and videos of themselves working out. What the hell?
A guy once asked me to video him deadlifting 315, bout chucked his phone across the gym lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 11:46 AM   #2618
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Close grip push-ups are your friend. Easy way to crush your triceps as long as form is proper. If you have dumbbells, even light weight you can do over head extensions either single hand or double depending on the weight. You can also do bench dips on common household furniture. Keep after it!
+1....also I will say that anything that you to to exaggerate the stretch in your tricep muscle will help work them.

I know that pull-overs are considered a chest/back exercise....but do some of those with your kettle bell and as you are bringing back over the top....turn it into a type of lying extension.

I do all of my "skull crushers" that way. Extend back with good form, then let it lower my arms a far back as possible.

It will fry your triceps!
JP102462.00