M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion AC Issues ??

10-05-2020, 10:43 PM   #177
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops395 View Post
I've had my 840d since March 2020. Haven't driven it too much because of COVID but after 1000 miles the AC and heating decided it had a mind of its own. I thought it might be a glitch and reset the head unit but today I had a 300 mile round trip and it was cold (9 degrees) and raining, I'd set it on 18 degrees with moderate fan (no AC and no auto) it would blow Air conditioned cold for 15 minutes then Max hot for 15 minutes, this happened through my entire journey and irrelevant of my heater or AC settings it does the same. Before I take it to the dealer who will obviously notice that nothing is wrong and nothing needs fixing, has anyone else in UK 8 series had this issue and did your dealer fix it?

Any help or feedback would be appreciated, it seems a lot of early production cars seem to have heater problems like mine but you wouLd have thought this would have been fixed 18 months into production...
Your reporting is the first one I'm aware of regarding heating vs AC Cooling if I'm understanding the issue correctly, i.e., you wanted heat due to the cold weather on the trip. I know that does not help in any what way with your situation but this thread has been dedicated to AC cooling failures and the manufacture defect associated with failed compressor components, etc. Hopefully someone else has had heater issues as well and can chime in on their experience and resolution.
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2020, 12:16 AM   #178
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Other than the last poster Coops395, this issue seems to have quieted down a bit which is good news. My car was just in for the one year and it was scanned (not updated) and thankfully not called out for needing AC components. I haven't driven the car much lately die to covid but the trip to and from the dealer was a blast. I miss the pre-covid life and the road trips the wifey and I would take, but we'd always rather be safe than sorry, especially now that the CDC finally reaffirmed the airborne route (honestly always thought it was and treated it that way).

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 2
      11-20-2020, 01:34 PM   #179
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Ice cold AC! Finally had the back ordered compressor installed, along with the condenser and a valve. Evaporator wasn’t touched, so engine bay work only.

Ours was partially working, phasing between cold and warm which made them believe first that this was a software issue.

Can say I am happy it’s done but disappointed with the time to get this resolved. Our dealer is working with BMW to get us some money for the downtime...
Follow-up post:
So in the summer our SA promised he will work with BMW to make up for some of the lost driving time due to the AC issues.

They promised that some compensation will be coming but since August, crickets...
Now, low and behold, we received a check to cover 2 months of lease payments. Credit to our SA to be persistent when nothing happened...

On principle, they did the right thing and I appreciate that.
Appreciate 4
      11-21-2020, 07:44 PM   #180
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Follow-up post:
So in the summer our SA promised he will work with BMW to make up for some of the lost driving time due to the AC issues.

They promised that some compensation will be coming but since August, crickets...
Now, low and behold, we received a check to cover 2 months of lease payments. Credit to our SA to be persistent when nothing happened...

On principle, they did the right thing and I appreciate that.
Good news and your dealer along with the SA obviously have total customer satisfaction in mind which is king in the retail business.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2021, 09:47 PM   #181
grendel88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

My 2020 M8Comp has AC issues twice in 6 months. Taking it again for the second time. Sucks.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2021, 10:15 PM   #182
Rd139
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Competition

I personally faced an AC issue when I bought my car . 2020 Brand new M8 Competition in October last year I took the car to them in 1 month 5 times and they couldn’t fixed until they had to report it Germany. Thank God the managed to fix the problem and now I m really enjoying the car. It was a manufacturing defects on the first production line I believe with many V8 engines. I heard from friends who owner V8 X7 and X5M Competition who faced the same issue.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2021, 11:00 PM   #183
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd139 View Post
I personally faced an AC issue when I bought my car . 2020 Brand new M8 Competition in October last year I took the car to them in 1 month 5 times and they couldn’t fixed until they had to report it Germany. Thank God the managed to fix the problem and now I m really enjoying the car. It was a manufacturing defects on the first production line I believe with many V8 engines. I heard from friends who owner V8 X7 and X5M Competition who faced the same issue.
Yes, and they eventually tied it back to certain build dates where the compressor (etc.) had manufacture defects in the 8-series along with other variants using the same engine and AC components. That list should be on this thread or another one as it was heavily tracked after the initial reporting.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2021, 03:49 PM   #184
grendel88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Yes, and they eventually tied it back to certain build dates where the compressor (etc.) had manufacture defects in the 8-series along with other variants using the same engine and AC components. That list should be on this thread or another one as it was heavily tracked after the initial reporting.
They are replacing the entire HVAC system as per BMW's instructions.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2022, 03:40 PM   #185
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

Hey guys, I have a 2020 M8 Coupe with build date Sept 2019

It was brought over from the Northeast where AC was not used much
Now that I am in Vegas, I am constantly running the AC

I noticed a similar problem as others had mentioned. There are times I will start my car and it will begin to blow heat instead of A/C; the problem does not happen often, maybe once every few weeks. Sometimes switching to max AC resolves it, other times nothing you do that day can get it to correct. One common factor is that this never develops during a drive, it always starts off blowing heat at startup if that day happens to be a problem.

On one of the days this problem occurred, I drove 15 minutes to the dealer with "AC Heat" blowing and was able to show the problem to my service advisor. We were able to get it to correct the issue that day by switching to the Max AC setting

He scheduled me for an appointment and said I would have to leave the car with them for 2-3 days as they drive it around and try to replicate the issue. He said they would also try to look at if the car is throwing any codes. If they cannot find anything during the time of service, they cannot do anything about fixing the issue.

I am hoping to find some official BMW documentation regarding this problem to support my case. I personally am not too keen on driving around a compact kia and leaving my car for them to drive around a few days as they attempt to replicate a problem that very seldom happens. Additionally, from reading this thread, there don't seem to be any codes our cars throw to show a fault so without replicating the issue, objective findings are nil.

I do want to take care of this before warranty runs out. Any advise on how I proceed?

Last edited by mpop302; 06-05-2022 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2022, 07:23 PM   #186
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop302 View Post
Hey guys, I have a 2020 M8 Coupe with build date Sept 2019

It was brought over from the Northeast where AC was not used much
Now that I am in Vegas, I am constantly running the AC

I noticed a similar problem as others had mentioned. There are times I will start my car and it will begin to blow heat instead of A/C; the problem does not happen often, maybe once every few weeks. Sometimes switching to max AC resolves it, other times nothing you do that day can get it to correct. One common factor is that this never develops during a drive, it always starts off blowing heat at startup if that day happens to be a problem.

On one of the days this problem occurred, I drove 15 minutes to the dealer with "AC Heat" blowing and was able to show the problem to my service advisor. We were able to get it to correct the issue that day by switching to the Max AC setting

He scheduled me for an appointment and said I would have to leave the car with them for 2-3 days as they drive it around and try to replicate the issue. He said they would also try to look at if the car is throwing any codes. If they cannot find anything during the time of service, they cannot do anything about fixing the issue.

I am hoping to find some official BMW documentation regarding this problem to support my case. I personally am not too keen on driving around a compact kia and leaving my car for them to drive around a few days as they attempt to replicate a problem that very seldom happens. Additionally, from reading this thread, there don't seem to be any codes our cars throw to show a fault so without replicating the issue, objective findings are nil.

I do want to take care of this before warranty runs out. Any advise on how I proceed?
My M5 started blowing heat when the A/C was on - right around 5,000 miles. I was getting ready to leave on a trip. They checked for faults, evacuated the system, checked voltages and connectors. Determined the compressor needed replacing. Was fixed just before I left. Went on my trip - roughly 2,000 miles. It was working ok, not great. Then crapped out completely about halfway through.

Brought it back in at around 8,000 miles. Did all the same tests. This time they replaced the compressor (again), the expansion valve and the condenser. Never had any more problems after that.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2022, 01:16 AM   #187
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

I picked up my 2020 840 yesterday and thought the air con was really poor…to the extent that I was thinking about turning round and taking it back to the dealers. However, while,stuck in a horrendous traffic jam I fiddled around with the screen settings and it suddenly burst into life..to the extent the ‘low’ setting was way too cold! Unfortunately I can’t tell you exactly what I did but it may be worth having a play round in the screen menu.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2022, 09:47 AM   #188
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaford View Post
I picked up my 2020 840 yesterday and thought the air con was really poor…to the extent that I was thinking about turning round and taking it back to the dealers. However, while,stuck in a horrendous traffic jam I fiddled around with the screen settings and it suddenly burst into life..to the extent the ‘low’ setting was way too cold! Unfortunately I can’t tell you exactly what I did but it may be worth having a play round in the screen menu.
Something you might have done was adjust the actual temp slider, I did this in my F95 which had lots of known AC issues with the compressor. I first thought great gotta get it replaced like everyone else BUT then stumbled on the setting of the slider was set in the middle moved it to blue and BAM nice and cold.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2022, 03:03 PM   #189
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep

Just had my work done. They replaced the ac compressor, expansion valve and condenser
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-31-2022, 03:45 PM   #190
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

My AC wouldn't cool at times from new and what I noticed was ac was unchecked in idrive...this still happens once in a blue moon, but all that's needed to rectify is checking the box. With that said I am remaining on a much older sw version (to avoid the exhaust neuter) and I'd imagine the ac box unchecking itself has been rectified.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible

Last edited by RJC-1; 12-31-2022 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2023, 01:31 PM   #191
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep

God damn it. Ac blowing heat again. Thought the issue was repaired
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 02:16 PM   #192
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop302 View Post
God damn it. Ac blowing heat again. Thought the issue was repaired
You gotta turn it to cool on the temp gauge....
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5002.50