M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos How is your EV hanging during this winter blizzard ???

12-25-2022, 11:06 AM   #23
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

Somehow I have a gut feeling EV owners are far less affected by the winter blizzard than ICE owners. To begin with, there are far fewer EV owners. And EV owners seem more affluent. They seem to have more resources, more money, easier work schedules, more friends, etc. I bet loads of EV owners own an ICE, a genny, a wood-burning fireplace, a gas grille, live in neighbourhoods that are ploughed first, where the power is restored first, etc.

I bet most EV owners are saying ‘the blizzard was not that bad after all.’

But let’s get back to the silly narrative.
Appreciate 5
pikkagtr3896.50
chris7197334.00
spidy512494.50
      12-25-2022, 11:18 AM   #24
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

BAIT
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 11:35 AM   #25
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoose View Post
Somehow I have a gut feeling EV owners are far less affected by the winter blizzard than ICE owners. To begin with, there are far fewer EV owners. And EV owners seem more affluent. They seem to have more resources, more money, easier work schedules, more friends, etc. I bet loads of EV owners own an ICE, a genny, a wood-burning fireplace, a gas grille, live in neighbourhoods that are ploughed first, where the power is restored first, etc.

Yeah, the #1 accessory every EV owner seems to have is a 4Runner.
They'll be fine.
Appreciate 1
spidy512494.50
      12-25-2022, 12:17 PM   #26
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
Yeah, the #1 accessory every EV owner seems to have is a 4Runner.
They'll be fine.
It's a Land Rover up here, can't have one without the other.
spidy512494.50
      12-26-2022, 08:14 AM   #27
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

all I'll say is those trucks clearing the roads 24/7 didn't carry any batteries

EV will suit some and won't suit others
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17313.50
      12-26-2022, 08:32 AM   #28
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Having been one of them up until a few hours ago, I have to agree with this. Sure, power outages are going to happen no matter what. But as a rural dweller I can tell you with absolute certainty that the wired infrastructure has gone straight into the toilet. It started with the big deregulation push in the Reagan years, when all the power companies were cut loose and stopped spending on maintenance. It's been the bare minimum since then. We essentially could not continue to live where we do without a reliable backup energy source. I keep hearing about infrastructure spending, but I sure don't see it around these parts.

I remember when government mandated emissions controls on cars were first introduced. Cars got pretty crappy. People pissed and moaned. Then some smart folks in Japan started building efficient, clean running engines. The US companies continued to drag their feet and piss and moan and look for ways around it, and suffered in the marketplace for it. Fast forward to today, when we drive 500HP Corvettes that will get 30+ highway MPG and pollute less than a 1960's lawnmower. Moral: progress happens. Efficiency improves. The market responds.

I'm not crazy about the big push towards EVs. I don't think they're all that great of a choice for a large part of America, and I definitely don't think the electrical grid in this country will support them. Will it support them by 2035? Who knows. That's a ways off. Like you, I can see where an EV would fit into my life but I'm not prepared to jump in just yet. Too many changes happening too quickly for me to drop big $ into an EV just yet.
Let's do.
And the odds are you won't see any improvement in infrastructure (no matter what definition you use). Remember back way when there was a similar massive spending for "Shovel Ready Projects". Well we saw squat with that round of spending. And the commonality between those two eras is a particular individual in the White House.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17313.50
      12-26-2022, 08:40 AM   #29
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
I believe it is a fair comparison
Both are sources of energy storage
Ev battery in near freezing temps are known to be poor performance
And if left alone , will discharge over time
A diesel container with proper additive will last for years
Once the power grid goes out, I can pop it into my generator and get power out of it
And this needs to be taken one step further. I have not seen any discussion on what I think is a major issue with adoption of EV. The lack of standardization of the power storage medium. With gas and diesel, it's been pretty much the same since inception. You can take an old car and run it on the same fuel as a new one. You can't say the same with EVs. What makes things worse with EVs is the same power source that is a storage of energy to power the vehicle will degrade over time. Can't really say the same for a fuel tank.

Manufacturers won't really object to the current status quo as they can just fall back to every manufacturer is doing proprietary battery systems even within their own model lines. Manufacturers will also support this current system as it's built in planned obsolescence. So it guarantees them a steady income stream as they know people will have to buy a new car at some point.

"My battery is no longer good."

"Well that'll be $16k." Or "Sorry, the manufacturer no longer makes that battery."

Until there is some mandate to force standardization of at least the battery connectors or some way of making the electrical interface modular to allow future upgrades as battery technology evolves, this whole situation is going to be a mess that will continue to get messier.
Appreciate 5
Efthreeoh17313.50
pikkagtr3896.50
wdb4732.00
Mavus2029.50
      12-26-2022, 09:33 AM   #30
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

2700 miles towing a trailer with an EV pick up truck and 27 stops to charge up.

https://www.westernjournal.com/coupl...gn=holidayhits
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5149.50
pikkagtr3896.50
      12-26-2022, 10:04 AM   #31
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
And this needs to be taken one step further. I have not seen any discussion on what I think is a major issue with adoption of EV. The lack of standardization of the power storage medium. With gas and diesel, it's been pretty much the same since inception. You can take an old car and run it on the same fuel as a new one. You can't say the same with EVs. What makes things worse with EVs is the same power source that is a storage of energy to power the vehicle will degrade over time. Can't really say the same for a fuel tank.

Manufacturers won't really object to the current status quo as they can just fall back to every manufacturer is doing proprietary battery systems even within their own model lines. Manufacturers will also support this current system as it's built in planned obsolescence. So it guarantees them a steady income stream as they know people will have to buy a new car at some point.

"My battery is no longer good."

"Well that'll be $16k." Or "Sorry, the manufacturer no longer makes that battery."

Until there is some mandate to force standardization of at least the battery connectors or some way of making the electrical interface modular to allow future upgrades as battery technology evolves, this whole situation is going to be a mess that will continue to get messier.
Wait for it...

Jasper rebuilt EV Batteries!
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5149.50
      12-26-2022, 10:48 AM   #32
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Wait for it...

Jasper rebuilt EV Batteries!
If it's even feasible for such a service, you'll have the manufacturers just serializing the batteries. Oh you can't just get any rebuilt battery pack. You have to get one from us because we're worried about your safety. This now falls onto the whole Right to Repair movement.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17313.50
      12-26-2022, 12:26 PM   #33
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
If it's even feasible for such a service, you'll have the manufacturers just serializing the batteries. Oh you can't just get any rebuilt battery pack. You have to get one from us because we're worried about your safety. This now falls onto the whole Right to Repair movement.
Working on an EV is dangerous because of the electric voltages. The average DIY'er will not have the training or the tools and equipment to deal with de-energizing a 70kWh battery. Electric components dealing with 400 - 800 volts and 50 - 100 amps of current do wear out and need servicing. I know I'd not mess with it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 4
zx10guy5149.50
Mavus2029.50
spidy512494.50
      12-26-2022, 12:51 PM   #34
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Time to throw out the laptops boys, when the power goes out pad & quill are your only friends

Unless this is some sort of humble brag about that new steam-powered dildo Santa brought, what sense does it make to spike the football when technology doesn’t work so well in a natural disaster
      12-26-2022, 01:37 PM   #35
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
We are at a place when we can't question government without being labelled as "anti" something. For the life of me I don't know why we can't question the experts, because I think if we all take a step back and use some common sense we could agree that we aren't ready to fully switch to EV's for a good number of reasons, there might be a point in time when EV's are really the only viable option and by then maybe the tech has been ironed out so that everyones needs can be met with them. But from where I sit at 61 years of age I don't see that happening in my lifetime.

Happy Christmas. peace on earth.
Now now... this is not true at all. Totally disagree. You're making up a narrative. People will label you anti something when the person acts like an idiot and fail to provide proof to support their claims of being said anti thing IMO. If an expert has data and information and someone comes up and say "Hey expert you are wrong" and then you don't explain yourself or provide a valid justification of course people are going to say you are full of shit and not listen to you. I feel like you are simply in a place in society where now you face more consequences to being incorrect/having bad information, something you may not have been used to back then in the old days (I know my dad is a bit older than you and I see the same thing) with not as much information being shared (internet for example these days). So if you go ahead and spew made up things that can't be proven of course people will be antagonistic towards you when you refuse to listen to them back when they explain what you claim is not true and does not apply. Not saying you do particularly but this has always been my experience when someone comes up with that point of view.

That said happy holidays as well

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 12-26-2022 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 01:49 PM   #36
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:

This makes absolutely NO sense, you are equating living as a coddled fledgling in an urban cocoon to someone who is not,

Except, unlike them, if I take away the infrastructure you rely on with a flick of a switch, and I got you by the baalllss, no matter how 'affluent' you are
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17313.50
      12-26-2022, 04:20 PM   #37
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Now now... this is not true at all. Totally disagree. You're making up a narrative. People will label you anti something when the person acts like an idiot and fail to provide proof to support their claims of being said anti thing IMO. If an expert has data and information and someone comes up and say "Hey expert you are wrong" and then you don't explain yourself or provide a valid justification of course people are going to say you are full of shit and not listen to you. I feel like you are simply in a place in society where now you face more consequences to being incorrect/having bad information, something you may not have been used to back then in the old days (I know my dad is a bit older than you and I see the same thing) with not as much information being shared (internet for example these days). So if you go ahead and spew made up things that can't be proven of course people will be antagonistic towards you when you refuse to listen to them back when they explain what you claim is not true and does not apply. Not saying you do particularly but this has always been my experience when someone comes up with that point of view.

That said happy holidays as well
This was not well written, so it is difficult to understand your point, but I'll take a shot at a response.

I'm the same age as Murf. People of our age learned most everything via peer-reviewed books written by educators. It is expensive to produce a book vs. writing something on the internet that can be rewritten at the whim of a political urge. It's why I tend not to believe most "data" that exists on the internet. I suspect Murf is mostly the same. As a Law Enforcement Officer, Murf has done real shit in his life based on what he has shared with us on E90Post, so like me, an expert has to prove his case to me.

I was educated not to be in fear of the climate, but rather to be amazed by the Earth's science, its geological history, anthropological history, its paleontological history and the astrophysical effect of the solar system has on the earth and all planets. So, when a bureaucrat insists I must "believe the science" about anthropogenic climate change or else I be classified as a "science denier", I get quite defensive. Even worse when that bureaucrat requires me to believe humans can choose what gender they are, then I'm seriously doubting his climate position is based on science and rather it is just purely political.

I like to use scientific logic as my belief system. It's why I ask guys like H20_Doc to tell me what point in the earth's climate history he wants to roll back to and what mechanism based on what algorithm will keep the climate static so we humans can continue to prosper on the planet (when every other species eventually goes extinct). I've asked him numerous times, and he never has an answer.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 12-27-2022 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 2
NickyC17484.50
      12-26-2022, 04:30 PM   #38
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
This makes absolutely NO sense, you are equating living as a coddled fledgling in an urban cocoon to someone who is not,

Except, unlike them, if I take away the infrastructure you rely on with a flick of a switch, and I got you by the baalllss, no matter how 'affluent' you are
This (silly) thread is about (bashing) the (stupid) decision of owning an EV. I posit that most EV owners have secondary means of getting their bare necessities; ICE vehicles, public transportation, neighbours, stocked up supplies, walking distance, etc. I posit this winter blizzard was a much bigger deal to ICE owners than to EV owners. But carry on. Keep on bashing.
Appreciate 2
chad86tsi1605.00
Efthreeoh17313.50
      12-26-2022, 04:38 PM   #39
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

diversity in culture/thought = good

diversity in infrastructure/resources = bad.

Perhaps I'm just defective because I don't get it.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17313.50
      12-26-2022, 05:48 PM   #40
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
This (silly) thread is about (bashing) the (stupid) decision of owning an EV. I posit that most EV owners have secondary means of getting their bare necessities; ICE vehicles, public transportation, neighbours, stocked up supplies, walking distance, etc. I posit this winter blizzard was a much bigger deal to ICE owners than to EV owners. But carry on. Keep on bashing.
I dont see where you draw the conclusion that this blizzard was more of a problem for ICE owners ??? That sounds like denial or something
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 06:00 PM   #41
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

It has been more of a problem for diesel engines. Tractors that came up from warmer climates and other diesels in general that didn't use anti-gel.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      12-26-2022, 06:34 PM   #42
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
I dont see where you draw the conclusion that this blizzard was more of a problem for ICE owners ??? That sounds like denial or something
It’s not a conclusion. It’s an assumption. There are approx. 500,000 ICE vehicles for each EV in America. And EV owners seem to have more means to deal with weather conditions, since it seems they’re better off. It’s easy to assume ICE owners were more affected than EV owners. 500,000:1. Nothing else to say here.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      12-26-2022, 06:52 PM   #43
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
It’s not a conclusion. It’s an assumption. There are approx. 500,000 ICE vehicles for each EV in America. And EV owners seem to have more means to deal with weather conditions, since it seems they’re better off. It’s easy to assume ICE owners were more affected than EV owners. 500,000:1. Nothing else to say here.
Lol what?? Your logic does not make any sense, we are looking at EVs and their shortcomings to deal with extreme cold weather like what just happened yesterday...

If those EV owners as you ASSUME have other means of transportation, then that just further solidifies my point that the EV is an unstable and unreliable mode of transportation and energy source than ICE...,

You are doing some kind of circular logic jedi mind trick on yourself to keep this EV fairy tale alive in your paradigm, its prob better to base your conclusions on evidence rather than assumptions
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17313.50
      12-26-2022, 10:59 PM   #44
TimmyM56
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 SSII/SO 6SPD

This thread has derailed into nonsense from the first post. Especially arguing if one person's knowledge of science is better than the other person's like it's two different things. There is a thing called "learning", one of a person's best traits is gaining new information and understanding it, even if it challenges what they already knew. But I guess the oldheads kept to their old system of understanding when Magellan proved the Earth was round.

Mocking people with EVs doesn't help your case. If you want to debate that the range of batteries is not enough for most people then fine. I believe our power grid is not up to par yet, and will not be until we put 100% effort into building a nation-sustaining nuclear power, that is the only long-term solution. That is understandable, but not talking about boogeymen like "bureaucrats" or how "government say is good so really is bad"