M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Randomly increasing volume with BW

12-10-2021, 05:24 AM   #1
__AD__
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix GC

Randomly increasing volume with BW

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi all. I've noticed a few times that when I have music playing from CarPlay, the volume will start increasing slowly on its own until I lower it a bit in which case it will stop. It's odd because it sounds like the low end (bass) is increasing more than the high end for whatever reason.

Has anyone else seen this? If I take it in, I know I won't be able to reproduce the issue on demand since it's random.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 01:36 PM   #2
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by __AD__ View Post
Hi all. I've noticed a few times that when I have music playing from CarPlay, the volume will start increasing slowly on its own until I lower it a bit in which case it will stop. It's odd because it sounds like the low end (bass) is increasing more than the high end for whatever reason.

Has anyone else seen this? If I take it in, I know I won't be able to reproduce the issue on demand since it's random.
Could it be speed sensitive volume? There's a setting to control how much it increases or turn it off. I like it personally and leave it on at max.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      12-10-2021, 01:53 PM   #3
__AD__
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:

Could it be speed sensitive volume? There's a setting to control how much it increases or turn it off. I like it personally and leave it on at max.
It'll happen while cruising at the same speed although I do have that feature at max. I'll try turning it off and see if it happens.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 07:32 AM   #4
__AD__
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So it turns out that it is speed sensitive volume. I finally have a song I can reproduce it with consistently. When the volume starts to increase on its own, I can either turn the volume all the way down for a couple seconds and turn it back up to remove the distortion, or I can adjust the speed volume setting which brings the sound back to normal. There are no speed changes when this happens, so I'm guessing it's an amp issue.

What tells me it's an amp issue is that I've also noticed full bass at 0 to 25% volume but the bass dies and only the treble/mids increase after 25%. Reduce the volume back down and full bass again (or the treble is reduced enough that you can hear it again). Anyone see anything similar to the above? I have a dealer appointment tomorrow for other stuff so I'll add this to the list.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 10:42 AM   #5
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Distortion through the B&W? How loud you turn it?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 11:03 AM   #6
__AD__
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Thrillride View Post
Not loud. 25%. Drive off and around 40 seconds later at around 50mph, the speed volume will kick in and raise the bass enough to sound like it's going to blow the woofers.

The song I'm using is way 2 sexy by Drake so it must be something bass heavy that triggers it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 06:13 PM   #7
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Or your B&W system is protesting that weak ass Drake music.
      02-01-2022, 07:15 PM   #8
__AD__
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pin  View Post
Or your B&W system protesting that weak ass Drake music.
. I can't wait to play it for the tech/SA
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 11:20 AM   #9
__AD__
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Thrillride View Post
Not loud. 25%. Drive off and around 40 seconds later at around 50mph, the speed volume will kick in and raise the bass enough to sound like it's going to blow the woofers.

The song I'm using is way 2 sexy by Drake so it must be something bass heavy that triggers it.
Tech was able to reproduce. They said they noticed the setting was on max and not to use max if I don't want it to happen 😠. I'll be calling bmw corporate to ask if I won't be able to use all the settings available on the vehicle.
Appreciate 0