M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Thoughts on iPhone 11 lineup?

09-13-2019, 09:05 AM   #89
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
No hdmi, no care.
You can do HDMI w/a dongle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
I think that's pretty optimistic thinking to believe "Austin will be covered by 5Gin 2-3 years".
5G's higher frequency waves can't penetrate buildings, trees, walls, etc. From what I've seen, the carriers are going to have to put 5G cell towers almost 1 per every block or two for adequate coverage. Even then it's still almost like satellite where you almost need direct line of sight to the cell tower as any interference with objects and you'll likely be getting not much better than 4G speeds or you'll simply lose the signal and drop down to 4G.
Finally, someone who is actually following what 5G can and cannot do.

Folk today 5G is a pipe dream.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 09:11 AM   #90
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagob5 View Post
Ah I see, my example also doesn't account for things like applecare since I dont get it anyway.

I believe the monthly may actually include Applecare if you buy from Apple? This method obviously varies and may not be for everyone, however over the years it's what I've used to get into new phones at the lowest cost long term. Now I use the same method to upgrade my wife and its saving us quite a bit of money while allowing us to have new shiny things.

Another thing to mention is, you're basically forced to upgrade each year using this method because if you wait too long you wont get the value out of your old device.
No - I think you may be confused as to some of the programs available. You can (as I described) simply buy the phone with a monthly payment that works out to 1/24th of the buy price over 24 months - so no interest, but you do pay any state taxes up front. Apple Care is not included.

Then there's the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program. This may be the one you're thinking of, and yes it works out fairly expensive I think, but does include Apple Care as you mentioned. For the iPhone 11 Pro 512GB it's $64.50 a month, so $774 a year. But after 12 payments (when the 11S Pro comes out in 12 months) you can take yours back and just get a new one and keep paying. You can basically get a new one every 12 months. Given the buy price of that phone is $1349 and you pay $774 over 12 months (I'm ignoring Apple Care as I don't know the cost), that means next year when you upgrade they're giving you about a $575 trade-in on your next one. But yes - if you don't trade in and you just keep it, I'm not sure there's an end to the $774 a year, so that would be a bad choice if you didn't plan to upgrade every year.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #91
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
No - I think you may be confused as to some of the programs available. You can (as I described) simply buy the phone with a monthly payment that works out to 1/24th of the buy price over 24 months - so no interest, but you do pay any state taxes up front. Apple Care is not included.

Then there's the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program. This may be the one you're thinking of, and yes it works out fairly expensive I think, but does include Apple Care as you mentioned. For the iPhone 11 Pro 512GB it's $64.50 a month, so $774 a year. But after 12 payments (when the 11S Pro comes out in 12 months) you can take yours back and just get a new one and keep paying. You can basically get a new one every 12 months. Given the buy price of that phone is $1349 and you pay $774 over 12 months (I'm ignoring Apple Care as I don't know the cost), that means next year when you upgrade they're giving you about a $575 trade-in on your next one. But yes - if you don't trade in and you just keep it, I'm not sure there's an end to the $774 a year, so that would be a bad choice if you didn't plan to upgrade every year.
There are 3 ways to purchase an iPhone from Apple.

1. Buy the iPhone and pay lump sum. Optionally, purchase AppleCare and pay lump sum or monthly.

2. Apple Payment Plan. Pay first monthly payment + taxes then another 23 monthly payments. If you choose, you can later pay off the remaining balance. Optionally, purchase AppleCare and pay lump sum or monthly.

If you have an Employee Purchase Plan through work 1 & 2 you can save a few $ (~10% of the $199) on the AppleCare, not the iPhone.

3. Apple iPhone Upgrade Program. Same as #2 except AppleCare "purchase" is mandatory, monthly payments include iPhone and AppleCare payments. If you upgrade yearly the advantage is that your "loan" and AppleCare terminate and you resume w/the new iPhone and new AppleCare. Basically, it's like a lease where Apple agrees to purchase your previous phone at 50% of the original value. If you don't upgrade then payments are the same as #2 but w/AppleCare.

Last edited by omasou; 09-13-2019 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 09:33 AM   #92
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
There are 3 programs.

1. Buy the iPhone and pay lump sum. Optionally, purchase AppleCare and pay lump sum or monthly.

2. Apple Payment Plan. Pay first monthly payment + taxes then another 23 monthly payments. If you choose, you can later pay off the remaining balance. Optionally, purchase AppleCare and pay lump sum or monthly.

If you have an Employee Purchase Plan b/c of the company you work at 1 & 2 can save you a few $ on the AppleCare, not the iPhone.

3. Apple iPhone Upgrade Program. Same as #2 except AppleCare "purchase" is mandatory, monthly payments include iPhone and AppleCare payments. If you upgrade yearly the advantage is that your "loan" and AppleCare terminate and you resume w/the new phone. Basically, it's like a lease where Apple agrees to purchase your previous phone at 50% of the original value.
I wasn't considering #1 a program - that to me is just a purchase plain and simple.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #93
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
I wasn't considering #1 a program - that to me is just a purchase plain and simple.
Fair enough. Corrected post. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 09:43 AM   #94
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
My one friend seems to have a problem with FaceID. I loved it. I could never get TouchID to work first try. As for your cousin's sister opening the phone, I call BS. Have your cousin's sister face your sister, if she is shoulder surfing to see if it will work then the phone will open. I thought the same w/my kids until, I complete removed myself from the sensors.
You can call BS all you want, I have seen it first hand and have nothing to prove haha. I couldn't believe it either. They even showed me only one face registered. But I definitely understand your skepticism, I realize it comes off as he said she said. But my overall point was just to have options for unlocking the phone with touch ID.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 11:02 AM   #95
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

I ordered my 11 Pro this morning. I have a 7 from 3 years ago. It was great for almost all of those 3 years, but just in the past 8 weeks or so the battery is starting to go wonky and I am just generally ready for a new phone. I used to upgrade to the new phone every 2 years, feel proud of myself for waiting 3 years this time lol
      09-13-2019, 11:50 AM   #96
ey2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
I ordered my 11 Pro this morning. I have a 7 from 3 years ago. It was great for almost all of those 3 years, but just in the past 8 weeks or so the battery is starting to go wonky and I am just generally ready for a new phone. I used to upgrade to the new phone every 2 years, feel proud of myself for waiting 3 years this time lol
same here..LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 01:19 PM   #97
flgfish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91, 2015 911 C2

I'm still fine with my 8+. My son has my old 7, my daughter has a 7+, and my wife is running an 8 ... we're all fine with our phones at this point. Looks like we'll skip the 10/11 generation and see what they announce next year, unless a phone dies...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 07:23 PM   #98
Kalzone
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 2013 ZCP// 325xi 04

Quote:
Quote:
I write iPhone software. I have to test on the latest chipsets for my own piece of mind. Plus to be honest, I like them so it's a good excuse. I'm very happy with my iPhone.

But I'm no Apple Fanboi by any stretch. I write software for the iPhone using Xamarin on Windows, because I seriously hate Mac OS with a passion. I would rather edit a file in Windows check it in to source control check it out on the Mac and then see if it compiles than work on the Mac.
Oh - and I should add - the eSim is a HUGE bonus for me, but this was in my XS as well. I went to NZ, bought a local SIM, slapped it in, and I could contact my NZ friends and family on that, plus have data while roaming around NZ, and yet still be in touch with my US friends. That "dual SIM" feature is huge for me.
I am curious how this dual sim works, I heard about it on the last iPhone refresh. So you have a digital esim and one on a card? How do you switch back and forth?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 07:28 PM   #99
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzone View Post
I am curious how this dual sim works, I heard about it on the last iPhone refresh. So you have a digital esim and one on a card? How do you switch back and forth?
You can set one as the default, so while in NZ I set the NZ one to default. You can also set a default for data, and you can turn data roaming off (you could anyway) so you don't use the wrong one accidentally. You will however still be made to bend over and take it up the tailpipe for any text messages - I got charged a bit over $0.50 per message through AT&T while in NZ, however I believe that is more so the NZ carriers raping AT&T.

Each contact is your list is tied to one or other sim - so if I were to try call my CEO, it would go out through the US eSIM. But calling friends in NZ, it went out through the NZ SIM. I've also noticed a sim selection in the phone app, so when dialing a number you can choose which sim to use.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 11:10 PM   #100
Kalzone
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 2013 ZCP// 325xi 04

Quote:
You can set one as the default, so while in NZ I set the NZ one to default. You can also set a default for data, and you can turn data roaming off (you could anyway) so you don't use the wrong one accidentally. You will however still be made to bend over and take it up the tailpipe for any text messages - I got charged a bit over $0.50 per message through AT&T while in NZ, however I believe that is more so the NZ carriers raping AT&T.

Each contact is your list is tied to one or other sim - so if I were to try call my CEO, it would go out through the US eSIM. But calling friends in NZ, it went out through the NZ SIM. I've also noticed a sim selection in the phone app, so when dialing a number you can choose which sim to use.
<--- shocked.. Wow I had no idea you could do that. This is some pretty amazing shit.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 02:07 AM   #101
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Update:

Went to Apple store and had them give me a new battery for my 6S.

Despite leaving the screen protector on (took it out of the case for them though at their request) and with their assurances the screen wouldn't be touched, hence it being fine to leave the screen protector on...they somehow managed to break my screen. It took them 2 hours to replace the battery and when they came back out with my phone they go "yeah so we replaced the battery and also replaced your screen for you, we accidentally broke it while we were replacing the battery sorry. We'll give you 10% off since you waited so patiently sorry it took so long."

I showed them the link to the exact same screen protector I'd had and was like "can you at least reimburse me for another screen protector?" and she goes "yeah that's why I'm giving you 10% off." I'm like, I thought that was for taking 2 fucking hours to replace a battery... She said they can give me a shitty Belkin one in the store and I declined, said I'd just buy the same ArmorSuit one I'd had previously. It's been awesome.

Ugh. #firstworldproblems. Good thing it's cheap (~$10). Otherwise I might have fought them a bit more on reimbursing me.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 08:27 AM   #102
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Yes I am waiting for 5G and a bigger screen as well as reverse wireless charging and in display bio metrics. If you already have a 10s this is barely an upgrade not worth paying over a grand though the 10s will fetch around $600 resale. The base 11 looks like a better deal at $699 cheaper than the 10r was. I did just get iOS 13 and it is awesome. The Face ID is faster just with the software update. 5G is the next big thing but the networks and technology aren't their yet which is why Apple is waiting so you don't have a hot phone that drains battery and no network exists for most people and is spotty where you can get it.

Do wish they didn't have to lose 3D Touch for a bigger battery as long press makes things slower. The new swype keyboard requires a light touch though to avoid invoking the mouse cursor instead, you will need to avoid too long a press with non 3D Touch phones.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 06:05 PM   #103
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Interesting that my 6S battery is starting to take a shit as the new 11’s come out. Phone shut itself off and rebooted a couple of times and battery health say “Service” now.

Debating whether to go through the moderate hassle of a new battery to get another year or two out of it (story from NorCarAthlete is discouraging) or biting the bullet and getting an 11 I really don’t want to pay for (actually 2 since my wife will expect one too). I considered an older model but decided the price difference is probably not worth it and briefly considered making a switch to a Samsung, but no real savings there and already stuck in iPhone / iPad ecosystem. Decisions, decisions.
      09-21-2019, 09:57 AM   #104
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Chatted with someone from AT&T last night who told me we can get $450 off iPhone 11’s (with no changes to plan or other fees) but needed to go through the AT&T Loyalty Dept. which as closed at the time. Combined with $50-$100 to sell the 6S’s, that’s a no brainer, right?

Spent an hour today trying to reach the AT&T Loyalty Dept. When I finally did, I was told there is no such offer. A new battery for the 6S it is.
P111541.50
      09-21-2019, 10:23 AM   #105
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

If you have an Iphone X or newer there is 0 reason to upgrade... wait for the 5G phone.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614904.50
      09-21-2019, 08:16 PM   #106
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
If you have an Iphone X or newer there is 0 reason to upgrade... wait for the 5G phone.
I would agree except my X was getting a little beaten up looking so I got an 11 yesterday. This 11 is so much faster and I get reception in parts of my house I never did with any phones before. I think the new processors are much better and faster if that matters.
      09-21-2019, 08:33 PM   #107
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Quote:
I would agree except my X was getting a little beaten up looking so I got an 11 yesterday. This 11 is so much faster and I get reception in parts of my house I never did with any phones before. I think the new processors are much better and faster if that matters.
well the nicer camera is also a plus
      09-21-2019, 09:51 PM   #108
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Quote:
well the nicer camera is also a plus
I got the 11pro, but I'll probably never use the camera for all it does. It's way overkill for someone like me

I'm just happy for the first time ever that I can move around in my living room without hearing "what did you say? I lost you there"
      09-21-2019, 09:55 PM   #109
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

i honestly would pay north of 4 figures for an iphone 5 body with upgraded hardware. home button and touch id. unfortuantly that would be a "cheap" model; but the demand isnt there. idk what the the cell phone craze is about, so strange that people get so excited about phone technology. like its a phone; not your gateway into the next dimension.

srsly; people have fucking tablets in their pockets.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #110
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
i honestly would pay north of 4 figures for an iphone 5 body with upgraded hardware. home button and touch id. unfortuantly that would be a "cheap" model; but the demand isnt there. idk what the the cell phone craze is about, so strange that people get so excited about phone technology. like its a phone; not your gateway into the next dimension.

srsly; people have fucking tablets in their pockets.
yeah, i agree... ever since about the Iphone X, I have no idea what else people could want out of a phone that simple Ios download updates wouldn't give them... the hardware is so damn good that the sw cannot keep up... if your phone is slow, you simply just have wipe it clean once or delete the older apps that you aren't using...

FWIW - here is a handy chart for everyone to see how little the difference post the X is-

http://socialcompare.com/en/comparis...ine-comparison
Appreciate 0