M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion iDrive Upgrade To 07/2020

01-10-2021, 05:05 PM   #133
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Thanks. I tried that a couple of times and it just has the message that it has finished the preparation and will let me know when it is ready for install.
Check the message notifications at the top of the screen. If you see that a message is waiting for you there, touch that notification and it should take you to the embedded command to install the update.

That's what it has done for me - and I've been ignoring it because, personal choice, I don't want the update.
smart man
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 06:26 PM   #134
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

I don't recall but do BMW OTA updates give an explanation of what being updated?

Here's what the C8 Corvette's OTA are like (I applaud GM for being transparent)
Attached Images

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 07:14 PM   #135
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
I don't recall but do BMW OTA updates give an explanation of what being updated?

Yes. Fairly complete albeit vague in places.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11290.50
      01-10-2021, 09:31 PM   #136
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:

But w/o the slightest mention of muffler valves I assume lol

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 09:42 PM   #137
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:

But w/o the slightest mention of muffler valves I assume lol
lol

Indeed!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 05:00 PM   #138
sfy2905
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i GC

Time to chime in on my 2020 850i GC. It was delivered in late April, has a 3/20 build date and about 4,500 miles. It still has the 11/2019.70 software version that it was delivered with. I was prompted a few days ago to download version 7/2020.80 which I did, but have not yet allowed it to be uploaded to the car. I like the sound of the throaty exhaust growl the way it is (I have it adjusted to the loudest setting), but I really don't care that much if the snap, crackle and pop is muted somewhat.

So my question, in an 850, does this software version seem to mute the growl as well as the snap, crackle and pop?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 06:59 PM   #139
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfy2905 View Post
Time to chime in on my 2020 850i GC. It was delivered in late April, has a 3/20 build date and about 4,500 miles. It still has the 11/2019.70 software version that it was delivered with. I was prompted a few days ago to download version 7/2020.80 which I did, but have not yet allowed it to be uploaded to the car. I like the sound of the throaty exhaust growl the way it is (I have it adjusted to the loudest setting), but I really don't care that much if the snap, crackle and pop is muted somewhat.

So my question, in an 850, does this software version seem to mute the growl as well as the snap, crackle and pop?
Just for clarity when you refer to having adjusted settings to the loudest are you referring to the Engine Sound setting within iDrive? If so the update will not change that as that primarily controls the fabricated engine noise within the cabin. I say primarily as if you do set it to Reduced it will somewhat override the actual car setting, e.g., Sport or Sport Plus to reduce the actual exhaust some as well.

Leave it in "Sporty" and the fabricated engine sound within the cabin will always be aggressive. I keep it set on "Depending on driving mode" as that way with my Sport Individual setting it is the same as "Sporty" but if I'm on a long highway drive and in Comfort mode the fabricated engine sound is in essence "Reduced".
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2021, 07:06 PM   #140
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfy2905 View Post

Just for clarity when you refer to having adjusted settings to the loudest are you referring to the Engine Sound setting within iDrive? If so the update will not change that as that primarily controls the fabricated engine noise within the cabin. I say primarily as if you do set it to Reduced it will somewhat override the actual car setting, e.g., Sport or Sport Plus to reduce the actual exhaust some as well.

Leave it in "Sporty" and the fabricated engine sound within the cabin will always be aggressive. I keep it set on "Depending on driving mode" as that way with my Sport Individual setting it is the same as "Sporty" but if I'm on a long highway drive and in Comfort mode the fabricated engine sound is in essence "Reduced".
for the OP, keep in mind that those settings don't exist in any 2019 m850i even with coding. not an option.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2021, 04:43 PM   #141
likegadgets
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Question: The software downloaded on the App, transferred to the car, however the car has been stock at:

"Preparations for upgrade to version 07/2020.80 completed. You will be notified when the upgrade can be installed." For more than a day.

How to proceed?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 07:41 PM   #142
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by likegadgets View Post
Question: The software downloaded on the App, transferred to the car, however the car has been stock at:

"Preparations for upgrade to version 07/2020.80 completed. You will be notified when the upgrade can be installed." For more than a day.

How to proceed?
I'm no expert on this, but when I did last year it just kinda takes some time b/f you are notified it's ready to upload.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 07:48 PM   #143
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

Quote:

How to proceed?
Turn off the car let it rest for at least 30 min go back in turn it on go to setting and re.ote software upgrade and should be ready to install so install it
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 07:56 PM   #144
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Quote:

How to proceed?
I'm stuck in the same place. Going on 4 days. We'll see...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 07:58 PM   #145
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

Quote:
I'm stuck in the same place. Going on 4 days. We'll see...
Did u try to reset your unit
Press the volume nobe and keep holding it for about 30s to a min and let your idrive reboot
And then check again in the general setting under remote software upgrade
After my install i had a problem that android auto did not show so i did reboot the unit and it appeared after
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 08:22 PM   #146
likegadgets
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctelimad View Post
Turn off the car let it rest for at least 30 min go back in turn it on go to setting and re.ote software upgrade and should be ready to install so install it
I left it overnight - it is the same all day today - 36+ hours now

thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 08:24 PM   #147
likegadgets
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctelimad View Post
Did u try to reset your unit
Press the volume nobe and keep holding it for about 30s to a min and let your idrive reboot
And then check again in the general setting under remote software upgrade
After my install i had a problem that android auto did not show so i did reboot the unit and it appeared after
I will try this - thanks.....
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 08:30 PM   #148
NOMRW8NG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

I have the same issue. Since the pandemic began, I'm no longer driving the car daily, so I'm wondering if this delay has to do with the battery not being fully charged. The update process is 20 minutes or so with the engine off, correct? So maybe the car won't let it be done if the battery voltage is below some threshold? Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 08:35 PM   #149
likegadgets
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMRW8NG View Post
I have the same issue. Since the pandemic began, I'm no longer driving the car daily, so I'm wondering if this delay has to do with the battery not being fully charged. The update process is 20 minutes or so with the engine off, correct? So maybe the car won't let it be done if the battery voltage is below some threshold? Just a thought.
I too hardly use the car these days - but this upgrade happened after I drive the car the prior day for a while as well as the day of the upgrade, so I am confident my car's battery was fully charged.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 02:36 AM   #150
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Quote:

How to proceed?

I assume you tried with the car standing (parked and into P mode), engine off and brake on? If you did not, give it a shot with the car in this state go into the OTA remote upgrade section and see if it finally allows you to install? Once it starts (if it works) you can lock your car and it will carry on with it.
If you still have no luck, also based on what others have suggested, just contact BMW (connected drive services or BMW directly) to explain them the problem. To me it sounds like an issue with the update not being fully received in the car so do check with BMW about this if the problem persists. If that is confirmed, you should get your car updated (for free) at the nearest BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 07:58 AM   #151
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
I assume you tried with the car standing (parked and into P mode), engine off and brake on? If you did not, give it a shot with the car in this state go into the OTA remote upgrade section and see if it finally allows you to install? Once it starts (if it works) you can lock your car and it will carry on with it.
This was my mistake. I didn't have the parking brake on. You have to get in the car, don't start it, and make sure the parking brake is on.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 11:33 AM   #152
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This was my mistake. I didn't have the parking brake on. You have to get in the car, don't start it, and make sure the parking brake is on.
Yep, the parking brake must be on. In my case I have "auto hold" set so it is always on when I move the car into Park mode. A side note on "auto hold" is it took a bit to get used to for how it operates when driving and parking (it will sometimes set as you inch into a ******* but now that I've lived with it for nearly a year now I agree with limeypride that it is a great feature.
Appreciate 2
limeypride4425.00
      01-13-2021, 08:02 PM   #153
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
I had an odd experience on a drive today in which the valves apparently did not open whatsoever in my Sport Individual setting (engine on Sport Plus). I actually had the B&W turned off as I was doing some testing for a different thread (the OP has an issue with low-level noise coming from the speakers) so the lack of burbles/gurgles was very apparent. It was like I had the car in Comfort mode. For a brief moment in time while I was doing my grocery shopping I thought that somehow the 07/2020.60 upgrade had a latent aspect on the exhaust. However, on the drive home I shifted to Sport Plus and drove the car hard which opened the valves. I then shifted back to my Sport Individual setting and the expected gurgles/burbles where back on demand (downshifts when letting off the gas, etc.). Also, as normal after parking in the garage I did a 4K RPM throttle which elicited cracks and pops.

This hopefully is a one time event but regardless it might also explain why post neutering everyone's mileage may vary. In other words if the exhaust valves do not open for whatever reason you might as well be in Comfort mode. Granted the early 2019 M850is burbled/gurgled even in Comfort mode but that never existed on my 2020 M850i whatsoever.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2021, 08:07 PM   #154
likegadgets
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
If you still have no luck, also based on what others have suggested, just contact BMW (connected drive services or BMW directly) to explain them the problem. To me it sounds like an issue with the update not being fully received in the car so do check with BMW about this if the problem persists. If that is confirmed, you should get your car updated (for free) at the nearest BMW dealer.
I did not have the brake on. Did that with the car on park and engine off. Nothing happened immediately. Rebooted - no progress. I will let the car stand tonight with the brake on and see if it takes. I checked, and there are no notifications. Thanks all for the tips
Appreciate 0