M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion iDrive Upgrade To 07/2020

01-09-2021, 02:02 PM   #111
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
Based on feedbacks here of those who have updated, it appears the M850i are affected way more and the M8 not at all or only slightly. He has an M850i so in that case the exhaust will most likely get "silenced". For M8 models there seems to be no difference in exhaust sound (after update) except for one forum member (Azlar) in the previously pointed thread reporting he can hear the difference in sound for the worse. Unless I have missed other M8 owners who complained I cannot recall any except the mentioned one. But with the M850i I think we can pretty much "safely" say it will be affected and after updating, the loud pops and bangs, burbles and so on very present and alive in comfort mode with the 2019.XX software levels will be, are a thing of the past. Now as for the reason why BMW is targeting the M850ies rather than the M8s, could be that an M car is SUPPOSED to pop and bag and be "loud" out of the box whereas you would expect that way less from an M850i or hardly and certainly not in comfort mode. Just my take on why this distinction is being made.
I agree. I think because the m850i was 2019 and the m8 didn't start until 2020.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 02:03 PM   #112
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Given mine and other's feedback, why don't you want the update?
Hi. I don't need Android Auto, don't want to risk losing my burbles, can do without CarPlay maps in the HUD, and don't want to spend the time and effort re-coding my car and waiting for whatever bugs haven't yet been found in the update to ...be found in the update.

Shorter version: After investing considerable angst and energy in resolving previous BMW software bugs, my car ain't broken so I see no reason to fix it.

RJC: So far, I have been successful in "postponing" installation of the update that was automatically downloaded. I'll update as developments develop (or, preferably for me, don't develop).
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Smart man.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2021, 02:12 PM   #113
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall there are one or two with m850's here that did not lose any sound after recently (last 90 days) updating.

Again, if the neutering was due to noise regs, the M850's and M8's would both be targeted. Also see no reason why bmw would utilize extra resources especially well after the fact to silence m 850's to begin with, as they are still very much high performance GT's and not 750's etc.

Until we get a tech on here well familiar with the matter or someone can get bmw to comment it's essentially all speculation at this point.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 02:13 PM   #114
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Quote:
Given mine and other's feedback, why don't you want the update?
Hi. I don't need Android Auto, don't want to risk losing my burbles, can do without CarPlay maps in the HUD, and don't want to spend the time and effort re-coding my car and waiting for whatever bugs haven't yet been found in the update to ...be found in the update.

Shorter version: After investing considerable angst and energy in resolving previous BMW software bugs, my car ain't broken so I see no reason to fix it.

RJC: So far, I have been successful in "postponing" installation of the update that was automatically downloaded. I'll update as developments develop (or, preferably for me, don't develop).
Got it.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2021, 02:15 PM   #115
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall there are one or two with m850's here that did not lose any sound after recently (last 90 days) updating.

Again, if the neutering was due to noise regs, the M850's and M8's would both be targeted. Also see no reason why bmw would utilize extra resources to silence m 850's to begin with, as they are still very much high performance GT's and not 750's etc.

Until we get a tech on here well familiar with the matter or someone can get bmw to comment it's essentially all speculation at this point.
I think some m850i has 2018 and 2019 software. Where the m8 was sold with 2020 software already neutered.
Appreciate 2
FBMWWINS604.50
RJC-11290.50
      01-09-2021, 02:21 PM   #116
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:

Again, if the neutering was due to noise regs, the M850's and M8's would both be targeted. Also see no reason why bmw would utilize extra resources to silence m 850's to begin with, as they are still very much high performance GT's and not 750's etc.

I think some m850i has 2018 and 2019 software. Where the m8 was sold with 2020 software already neutered.
That's makes more sense than the m8 should have a performance sounding exhaust and an M850 shouldn't. I'm sure there's a document that bmw produced listing all that's included in these updates, someone here must have a cozy relationship with their service manager and possibly can shed some much needed light on this.

For me I'm not touching my 2019 sw and the car is running great with no issues (knock on wood) and very strongly.

Appreciate 2
      01-09-2021, 02:44 PM   #117
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Quote:

Again, if the neutering was due to noise regs, the M850's and M8's would both be targeted. Also see no reason why bmw would utilize extra resources especially well after the fact to silence m 850's to begin with, as they are still very much high performance GT's and not 750's etc.

Exhaust neutering is mainly noticed in NON-sport mode and upon startup in the M850i case. We are talking about bangs, pops and burbles in comfort mode for example - something which was VERY loud and clearly noticeable, still is for those running 2019 software levels - especially the 03.2019.XX. I have read through this thread and could not find anyone who claims in comfort mode their M850i is burbling, banging and popping as loud or louder than a stock M8. Essentially this is the deal - noone is saying the sound is completely neutered or reduced in a way that the car makes no noise in sports/ sports plus. It's about the exhaust sounding loud and aggressive in normal driving modes and upon startup.

Further there is an interesting post here:

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=18

Also posts 61 and 72 confirm as per forum members feedback:

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=61

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=72

Yes RJ I get your valid points but also consider the M850i stock, in comfort mode already was louder and sounded more aggressively (exhaust wise) than a stock M8 (this is talked about in several reputable car reviews too). I think BMW does not want to upset the M customers and understandibly so because an M8 will always be loud and agressive, as will a Ferrari, a Lambo, a Maserati- you can just not go below a certain level point. I guess the M8 is now at a level considered "acceptable" and in line with rules/regulations whereas the first M850i (2019 models on older software levels) were not. Hence they are taking measures to bring them on par with the newer M850i - 2020 and 2021 models and of course with the M8 models which, as Res said, having started production later most likely were "adjusted" accordingly from factory.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 03:06 PM   #118
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Exhaust neutering is mainly noticed in NON-sport mode and upon startup in the M850i case. We are talking about bangs, pops and burbles in comfort mode for example - something which was VERY loud and clearly noticeable, still is for those running 2019 software levels - especially the 03.2019.XX. I have read through this thread and could not find anyone who claims in comfort mode their M850i is burbling, banging and popping as loud or louder than a stock M8. Essentially this is the deal - noone is saying the sound is completely neutered or reduced in a way that the car makes no noise in sports/ sports plus. It's about the exhaust sounding loud and aggressive in normal driving modes and upon startup.

Further there is an interesting post here:

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=18

Also posts 61 and 72 confirm as per forum members feedback:

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=61

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=72

Yes RJ I get your valid points but also consider the M850i stock, in comfort mode already was louder and sounded more aggressively (exhaust wise) than a stock M8 (this is talked about in several reputable car reviews too). I think BMW does not want to upset the M customers and understandibly so because an M8 will always be loud and agressive, as will a Ferrari, a Lambo, a Maserati- you can just not go below a certain level point. I guess the M8 is now at a level considered "acceptable" and in line with rules/regulations whereas the first M850i (2019 models on older software levels) were not. Hence they are taking measures to bring them on par with the newer M850i - 2020 and 2021 models and of course with the M8 models which, as Res said, having started production later most likely were "adjusted" accordingly from factory.
I remember asking two in particular about their experience of no changes after updates and believe at least one had an M850 which I found encouraging.

My M850 was one of the last 19's built (06/19 production) and my sw was updated in Jan 2020 to version 07/2019.55 in car by me and the dealer also performed a hard wired update. Car is always in comfort mode and when cold started it burbles and pops with the slightest blip of the throttle, almost as loud as my XK-R with factory perf exhaust. Since I literally have less than 1000 miles after a full year of ownership I have not driven it in S/S+ or at full throttle yet (trying to respect the break-in) but recently came close and it runs very strong and loud.

Last edited by RJC-1; 01-09-2021 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2021, 03:43 PM   #119
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I remember asking two in particular about their experience of no changes after updates and believe at least one had an M850 which I found encouraging.

My M850 was one of the last 19's built (07/19 production) and my sw was updated in Jan 2020 to version 07/2019.55 in car by me and the dealer also performed a hard wired update. Car is always in comfort mode and when cold started it burbles and pops with the slightest blip of the throttle, almost as loud as my XK-R with factory perf exhaust. Since I literally have less than 1000 miles after a full year of ownership I have not driven it in S/S+ or at full throttle yet (trying to respect the break-in) but recently came close and it runs very strong and loud.
Should be exactly as you describe, but mine doesn't do that. You got lucky. Your car is running what I think is one of the latest XX.2019.XX software levels and the neutering most certainly, based on your positive feedback, wasn't (yet) as pronounced as it happened to be later when updating an M850i to a XX.2020.XX software. That is, you may have the LAST, if not one of the last "good ones" to have in terms of software level/s.
Of course you might find the occasional BMW dealer who discloses some information others will remain vague on the matter I guess. Next time I'm in Germany (will probably take it there for the 1st service) I will ask my SA and whomever I meet when I go back to JD Performance (covid allowing....).
Appreciate 1
RJC-11290.50
      01-09-2021, 04:22 PM   #120
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Should be exactly as you describe, but mine doesn't do that. You got lucky. Your car is running what I think is one of the latest XX.2019.XX software levels and the neutering most certainly, based on your positive feedback, wasn't (yet) as pronounced as it happened to be later when updating an M850i to a XX.2020.XX software. That is, you may have the LAST, if not one of the last "good ones" to have in terms of software level/s.
Of course you might find the occasional BMW dealer who discloses some information others will remain vague on the matter I guess. Next time I'm in Germany (will probably take it there for the 1st service) I will ask my SA and whomever I meet when I go back to JD Performance (covid allowing....).
Thanks for this and hope you can make to D-Land and with no covid issues. I hope I don't ever lose the mellifluous exhaust note on the M850 as my block has some noisy other characters and the M850 fits right in, although the guy down the street with the Aventador takes the cake when he drives by lol.
So, now comes the wait for the dreaded OTA update that others like redhotfl have been saying is showing up without even requesting it and the ability to not turn off downloading it. To be certain, if it shows up on mine since I have an older version of sw I do not have the ability to turn off auto updates, and there's a manual affirmation/acceptance to upload which I can just ignore?

Appreciate 1
FBMWWINS604.50
      01-09-2021, 04:24 PM   #121
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
there's a manual affirmation/acceptance which I can just ignore?
RJC-1 So far, I've been able to "postpone" the actual installation of the download that appeared all by itself, and there's a note that the update opportunity "expires" in March. I'll let you know what - if anything - happens.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11290.50
      01-09-2021, 04:55 PM   #122
Azlar
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M8C

I posted previously on another topic but I only lost all the pops and bangs when they upgraded my M8 to 11/2020. When I bought it the version was 07/2020 and although there was none in comfort they were still in sports/plus, now not at all.

I had the M850i before this and that had pops/bangs in all modes when I bought it, these were neutered a bit in comfort when it was upgraded to 03/2020 and then more when updated to 07/2020. As mentioned by others though, my older M850i always sounded more aggressive than my M8, which in my opinion is quite bizarre.
Appreciate 2
FBMWWINS604.50
RJC-11290.50
      01-09-2021, 05:02 PM   #123
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for this and hope you can make to D-Land and with no covid issues. I hope I don't ever lose the mellifluous exhaust note on the M850 as my block has some noisy other characters and the M850 fits right in, although the guy down the street with the Aventador takes the cake when he drives by lol.
So, now comes the wait for the dreaded OTA update that others like redhotfl have been saying is showing up without even requesting it and the ability to not turn off downloading it. To be certain, if it shows up on mine since I have an older version of sw I do not have the ability to turn off auto updates, and there's a manual affirmation/acceptance to upload which I can just ignore?
Indeed the exhaust notes of the lambo are quite something!

Regarding the OTA updates, check the section where you must give consent. There should be the remote software upgrades too and there you can deny consent and in that way upgrades will not get pushed through unless you manually change the setting and revoke that. Remember, as per BMW the Remote Software Upgrade will only be carried out with your prior consent in the user menu of your vehicle.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
RJC-11290.50
      01-09-2021, 05:39 PM   #124
Azlar
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M8C

Quote:

Regarding the OTA updates, check the section where you must give consent. There should be the remote software upgrades too and there you can deny consent and in that way upgrades will not get pushed through unless you manually change the setting and revoke that. Remember, as per BMW the Remote Software Upgrade will only be carried out with your prior consent in the user menu of your vehicle.
Be interesting if we can throw this back at BMW as they installed the latest software at the dealership without my consent. Surely they are one of the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 06:40 PM   #125
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

What is the difference in what the OTA updates do vs the hardwired dealer versions? As mentioned, I had both early last year (my connected app wasn't working) and I tried the OTA with no success, then the dealer did a hardwired update in service and all was well.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 06:42 PM   #126
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
From what I read and recall in various threads (remember the "software update stuff" is being talked about a bit everywhere) there have been a couple of M8 owners who did claim they saw a reduction in exhaust sound. Then again, others (e.g. Noushy) said he did not notice any difference after having his updated:

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1780337&page=2

My take is, after reading a bit everywhere here in the forum, that the "downgrade" is quite more pronounced (reduction very noticeable in NON sport modes) on M850i models than on the M8. Of course as many confirmed the M850i exhaust sounded for many even better (out of the box / stock) than the M8 one - originally that is.
Best is if other M8 owners who have updated theirs confirm and/or give their feedback.
In the end it's a bit of a tradeoff I am afraid though it's a shame this is happening on BMW side and due to legislations/regulations stuff. We here in Europe are even more affected by that and depending on the country one needs to be really carefully as what mods are made to the exhaust system.
Quote:
Thanks!

Wrt/ M8 exhaust vs. M850i: I test drove an M8 Comp and M850 almost back-to-back before getting my own (a day did separate the test drives, though). The M850 was noticeably louder and more willing to bark and burble than the M8 Comp but, of course, I wasn't pushing either of them that hard. That held true for my own M8... until perhaps 3 or 4 months in when it started burbling and cracking pretty much all the time in any sport setting. I don't know if this is "by design" or some factor of being worn in but I'll certainly know quickly if they've been suppressed in some way by the upgrade.

From my own research, I concluded this was exclusively an iDrive/cockpit interface update... finger's crossed.

It's already finished the download and prep so I imagine it's installing as I type given it's had the necessary 30 mins of cool down.

I'll post back here once it's done.
Agreed as BMW has taken a more heavy hand in reducing the exhaust sound on a M850i vs a M8 as it was louder to begin with. That always puzzled me but it was confirmed by at least a few of the early M8 reviews done by auto bloggers, etc. I'm guessing that given the M850i was the launch vehicle of the 8-series BMW went over the top on the exhaust sound especially since they were marketing it as the "gentleman's racer".

That said I've long come to terms with the neutering as ultimately it does not take away the sheer enjoyment of driving the car whatsoever. Plus with my Sport Individual setting of the engine on Sport Plus I still get plenty of gurgles/burbles and can still get some bark/crackles that still put a smile on my face. In fact to help with the cold start whenever I return to the garage I hit a few 4K RPMs that elicit the bark/crackles and keep the valves open for when I start it up for the next drive. My wife even has commented that she can hear it in the house at the opposite end from where the garage is.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2021, 06:50 PM   #127
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:

^^^Exactly. In fact you have two places to opt out one is in the Connected Drive app/portal and the other is within the iDrive privacy settings. In theory even if the app is set to automatically download the OTA update the privacy settings within iDrive will keep it from ever being installed. On the flip side BMW may try to push a "mandatory" OTA that could override both settings. However, you can still keep it from being actually installed as it requires your cell phone to be connected to the car's WiFi and disabling that connection kills any ability for an update whatsoever.
Appreciate 1
FBMWWINS604.50
      01-10-2021, 04:15 AM   #128
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlar View Post
Be interesting if we can throw this back at BMW as they installed the latest software at the dealership without my consent. Surely they are one of the same thing.
In theory yes, but practially not quite I would affirm. Why? For example if you have any type of issue say with your Idrive system (spontaneous reboots or any other annoyance which could be potentially be a bug...), and you take the car to the dealer, they will check it for you under warranty. Say their diagnostic system (ISTA) will spit out some error/codes along with some action to perform as measure/s for fixing the issue. Often, the FIRST thing a dealership will do is update the software if the car isn't on the latest ILevel. Very few dealerships may flash only the problematic unit (say BDC, MGU, DKOMBI etc....) wherever the issue is located. Generally, and also LOGICALLY, the will flash everything in order to have all units and components running on the same IStep Level and thus leaving no discrepancies and/or potential "side effects" since there exist dependencies between the individual ECUs.
I would be very surprised if any dealership looked into your IDrive Privacy settings PRIOR to performing the above in order to determine what you indicated with regard to OTA upgrades because the latter implies someone remotely controlling your car and actual automatic software updates are not mandatory as BMW likes to grant the choice. Essentially it's like some "ghost" controlling your car remotely and logging INTO your car/system without you knowing it or wanting it even hence the choice for consent or not.
Whereas when I take the car to the dealer with a common/known problem (say even a recall), a software update is often THE step in order to resolve. As the car owner I know the moment I hand my car over to the "specialists", they will do whatever it takes to solve it so I might expect the car to get software flashed. Of course you can ask your dealer to WARN you or call you prior to updating, but what difference would that make if it is the only way to solve the issues you initially reported and brought your car to them with?

I may be wrong of course, but I doubt you could throw this back at them or see this as a breach in regard to the IDrive Privacy settings. These are OTA REMOTE upgrades related and not to be associated with a dealership visit unless you are only taking the car for a service and there aren't any problem/s whatsoever. In this case though, no update will be performed usually unless you specifically demand it and also pay for it. Or as RJC said in case the OTA software update did not work and you demand it to be updated, they will do that for you (should be free in that case).
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 08:28 AM   #129
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
My M8 finished the download and prep and says that it will alert me when it is ready to finish the update. After driving and let it cool down a couple of times, it still hasn't decided to pull the trigger. Anyone else having this issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 08:30 AM   #130
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
My M8 finished the download and prep and says that it will alert me when it is ready to finish the update. After driving and let it cool down a couple of times, it still hasn't decided to pull the trigger. Anyone else having this issue?
After turning off the car for at least 30 min come back to the car go to setting , then general setting and go to remote software upgrade and there you should be able to install it
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 08:33 AM   #131
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctelimad View Post
After turning off the car for at least 30 min come back to the car go to setting , then general setting and go to remote software upgrade and there you should be able to install it
Thanks. I tried that a couple of times and it just has the message that it has finished the preparation and will let me know when it is ready for install.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 08:57 AM   #132
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Thanks. I tried that a couple of times and it just has the message that it has finished the preparation and will let me know when it is ready for install.
Check the message notifications at the top of the screen. If you see that a message is waiting for you there, touch that notification and it should take you to the embedded command to install the update.

That's what it has done for me - and I've been ignoring it because, personal choice, I don't want the update.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 1