M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 2023 M8 digital key?

10-21-2022, 04:34 PM   #1
BTWCD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M8GC

Garage List
2023 M8 digital key?

Okay may be a dumb question and especially if I am an engineer, but I have just took delivery and can't find the key cards in the glovebox or anywhere in the vehicle, meanwhile I can't set up the phone digital key. Is iPhone 13 now workable with the BMW digital key or is it as before which only late model Samsung works? And should there be any keycards with the LCI models? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 04:54 PM   #2
TheGreatM8
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTWCD View Post
Okay may be a dumb question and especially if I am an engineer, but I have just took delivery and can't find the key cards in the glovebox or anywhere in the vehicle, meanwhile I can't set up the phone digital key. Is iPhone 13 now workable with the BMW digital key or is it as before which only late model Samsung works? And should there be any keycards with the LCI models? Thanks in advance.
I don't think you use the actual card anymore.

You need both keys in the car and then go to the digital set up on the iDrive. (Under Doors and Locks)

This will require you to place your phone in the charging tray when prompted. Has nothing to do with if you have the actual charge option or not. The tray still functions as a sync tool for the key.

Should end up in your iPhone wallet after all is done.

Last edited by TheGreatM8; 10-21-2022 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 3
      10-21-2022, 05:13 PM   #3
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

For my '23 M8, I got a card and my iPhone 13 works fine as a digital key, but set up is admittedly a bit tricky. Your dealer needs to register your car for for digital key to work. A couple hours before I took delivery, I got an email from the BMW service that my car had been set up, so I would ask your dealer whether he registered your car before you took delivery.
Appreciate 3
BTWCD86.00
TheGreatM82174.50
      10-21-2022, 09:07 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
For my '23 M8, I got a card and my iPhone 13 works fine as a digital key, but set up is admittedly a bit tricky. Your dealer needs to register your car for for digital key to work. A couple hours before I took delivery, I got an email from the BMW service that my car had been set up, so I would ask your dealer whether he registered your car before you took delivery.
I thought that was a requirement in the past, i.e., dealer registering the car for the cell phone digital key. Guess they kept that in place as somewhat an extra security check to validate proof of ownership before enabling.
Appreciate 2
      10-21-2022, 09:10 PM   #5
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTWCD View Post
Perhaps BMW has ditched the digital NFC card all together (you only got one vs 2 in the past). Found mine buried in the glove box and not easy to see as black on black. Also check the physical manual (if that's still a thing) as others found theirs tucked into it on the 2020s.
Appreciate 2
TheGreatM82174.50
BTWCD86.00
      10-22-2022, 12:16 AM   #6
BTWCD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M8GC

Garage List
Update: the nfc card dropped out from the owners manual… now all I had to do is to get my phone working with the car…
Appreciate 2
Volcanic168.00
      10-22-2022, 07:30 AM   #7
Da_BatMann_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M8C GC

Takes a couple tries sometimes to get the phone synced.

You can buy the card from the dealer for $75
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 09:02 AM   #8
SLF80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F80

When are the Card or Digital (phone) Key advantageous...instead of Comfort Access?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 12:09 PM   #9
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLF80 View Post
When are the Card or Digital (phone) Key advantageous...instead of Comfort Access?
Never. Until we get the Digital Key Plus the Phone or card-based digital keys are inferior.

Need to physically place them in their defined areas to open doors and start the car.
The only advantage is the occasion when you don't have the key along and still want to drive the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 01:46 PM   #10
SLF80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Never. Until we get the Digital Key Plus the Phone or card-based digital keys are inferior.

Need to physically place them in their defined areas to open doors and start the car.
The only advantage is the occasion when you don't have the key along and still want to drive the car.

That's what I thought.

I don't know anything about Digital Key Plus. What is it?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 04:45 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLF80 View Post
That's what I thought.

I don't know anything about Digital Key Plus. What is it?
It's the new spec from the consortium of auto manufacturers (BMW is one) plus two tech companies (Apple and Samsung) know as the CCC aka car connectivity consortium.

We're on the 2.0 spec now which is NFC based and hence nearly touch access, phone in the tray, etc. for functionality. 3.0 introduces ultra wide band which in essence supports enough distance to nearly mimick comfort access from a key fob. So you'll be able to keep you phone in your pocket just like the fob to open the car and start it.

Downside being the spec was ratified in July 2021 but hasn't seen the light of day yet. Could be another victim of the chip shortage as plenty of cellphones on the market will support it now. Guessing maybe a 2024 release on at least some BMW models.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 05:27 PM   #12
m3_08
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 conv, IX M60, model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
It's the new spec from the consortium of auto manufacturers (BMW is one) plus two tech companies (Apple and Samsung) know as the CCC aka car connectivity consortium.

We're on the 2.0 spec now which is NFC based and hence nearly touch access, phone in the tray, etc. for functionality. 3.0 introduces ultra wide band which in essence supports enough distance to nearly mimick comfort access from a key fob. So you'll be able to keep you phone in your pocket just like the fob to open the car and start it.

Downside being the spec was ratified in July 2021 but hasn't seen the light of day yet. Could be another victim of the chip shortage as plenty of cellphones on the market will support it now. Guessing maybe a 2024 release on at least some BMW models.
Thanks, good info. So, I assume Tesla use simple Bluetooth connectivity and its a reason it works with almost every phone?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 05:41 PM   #13
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_08 View Post
Thanks, good info. So, I assume Tesla use simple Bluetooth connectivity and its a reason it works with almost every phone?
Yes and Tesla is not part of the CCC. However, Bluetooth has security issues to the point the CCC only includes it's BLE profile in the spec for likely initial setup vs UWB to drive (pun intended) the actual authentication/authorization of the cellphone in one's pocket for true comfort access capabilities.

I'm a security nerd by nature (live in IT and IT security). Hacks are out there in the wild and hence my boss whom owns a Model 3 and all of my other friends in the IT world have turned that off. Tesla still relies on NFC but the hack gets entry into the vehicle and from there ways around the NFC as well. They still use the app for stuff like we do with the My BMW app, e.g., check status, pull 3D camera views from the "guardian" functionality, etc. But nobody uses as a key at this point.
Appreciate 1
Tenac4538.50
      10-22-2022, 06:26 PM   #14
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Yes and Tesla is not part of the CCC. However, Bluetooth has security issues to the point the CCC only includes it's BLE profile in the spec for likely initial setup vs UWB to drive (pun intended) the actual authentication/authorization of the cellphone in one's pocket for true comfort access capabilities.

I'm a security nerd by nature (live in IT and IT security). Hacks are out there in the wild and hence my boss whom owns a Model 3 and all of my other friends in the IT world have turned that off. Tesla still relies on NFC but the hack gets entry into the vehicle and from there ways around the NFC as well. They still use the app for stuff like we do with the My BMW app, e.g., check status, pull 3D camera views from the "guardian" functionality, etc. But nobody uses as a key at this point.
Wasn't there a guy in the mid-west not that long ago stealing tesla by just gaining access to the car and calling the help 1-800 number and giving VIN's. lol I think he got his hands on a few before they caught him. (they remoted started it for him allowing him to drive off)..
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 07:00 PM   #15
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Wasn't there a guy in the mid-west not that long ago stealing tesla by just gaining access to the car and calling the help 1-800 number and giving VIN's. lol I think he got his hands on a few before they caught him. (they remoted started it for him allowing him to drive off)..
Forget just the mid west as pretty pervasive I er all and the fore mentioned hacks wouldn't even require calling the 1-800 number. To be fair several BMW brethren have had their cars stolen (primarily in the EU) with in essence a comfort access hack/repeater so they were safely at home, assumed the car was safe, but stolen anyway.

BMW has addressed that with the fobs going to "sleep" after a period of zero motion. Not sure what that actual value is but it still creates a window for a car thieve to exploit the repeater comfort access/repeater hack. There were threads on recommended faraday boxes, wallets, etc. to circumvent the hack completely.

Going back in time here's one of the threads and looks like at least in 2018 if not 2019 for sure the fobs now go to sleep.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1510994
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 07:15 PM   #16
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:

Some iDrive8 cars support Digital Key Plus (UWB). The IX is an example.
      10-22-2022, 07:36 PM   #17
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Some iDrive8 cars support Digital Key Plus (UWB). The IX is an example.
Good to know as figured iD8 would bring it into play but just haven't seen a confirmation until now.

Now they just need to enable for ICE models as zero interest in anyone's EV, e.g., an IX in the BMW world.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 08:04 PM   #18
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Forget just the mid west as pretty pervasive I er all and the fore mentioned hacks wouldn't even require calling the 1-800 number. To be fair several BMW brethren have had their cars stolen (primarily in the EU) with in essence a comfort access hack/repeater so they were safely at home, assumed the car was safe, but stolen anyway.

BMW has addressed that with the fobs going to "sleep" after a period of zero motion. Not sure what that actual value is but it still creates a window for a car thieve to exploit the repeater comfort access/repeater hack. There were threads on recommended faraday boxes, wallets, etc. to circumvent the hack completely.

Going back in time here's one of the threads and looks like at least in 2018 if not 2019 for sure the fobs now go to sleep.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1510994
Back when I had my X5MC I did a through test, and even with the fob in the vehicle it will disable, which was a bit surprising to me thought at that point maybe a connection was still established. I can look it back up but I think it was 15' once it went to sleep you could move the fob and as long as you didn't press buttons it still didn't recognize it. It was pretty interesting and took me a few days to try all sorts of stuff.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 08:21 PM   #19
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Good to know as figured iD8 would bring it into play but just haven't seen a confirmation until now.

Now they just need to enable for ICE models as zero interest in anyone's EV, e.g., an IX in the BMW world.
Should have added iD8 is technically not a requirement whatsoever. As BLE is live and well in iD7 and the updated hardware in the door handles (currently NFC only) is just a parts/manufacturing decision to enable UWB. Leave it to the BMW marketing geniuses and they'll drive it as an iD8 feature only to upsell everyone with iD7. Case-in-point BMW did that for the iOS digital key 2.0 spec by leveraging the required NFC hardware in July 2021 builds and forward.

My point being although sadly the 8-series may be dead and buried after the 2025 MY there is nothing stopping them from implementing the 3.0 spec even though the cars will still be iD7 based. To that point as based on industry agreed to specs even a current IX supporting the 3.0 capability also backwards supports 2.0. That is the beauty of open standards, etc. including the CCC specs.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 08:31 PM   #20
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Back when I had my X5MC I did a through test, and even with the fob in the vehicle it will disable, which was a bit surprising to me thought at that point maybe a connection was still established. I can look it back up but I think it was 15' once it went to sleep you could move the fob and as long as you didn't press buttons it still didn't recognize it. It was pretty interesting and took me a few days to try all sorts of stuff.
That sounds about right as where the wife and I keep our keys (her X5 and my M85Oi) in the MBR is well beyond 15' and they are dead as a doornail once asleep. Have tried unlocking either car while the fob is in the "key basket" by pushing the buttons with no movement to no avail. Pick up the key and start moving towards the garage end of the house and within the distance parameter the key will indeed start working.

That said I have the Alexa BMW skill enabled and can voice unlock, etc. However, have a "routine" scheduled that will lock both cars at 7pm even if my wife forgets to do so. Have comfort access set in the M850i so when I walk away it automatically locks. No such thing in iD6 so hence the Alexa routine. Yep I'm a geek.
Appreciate 1
Tenac4538.50
      10-26-2022, 03:51 PM   #21
Da_BatMann_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M8C GC

I personally never bring my physical keys with me and only use comfort access to start/open my car. Takes 1 whole second for me to put my phone in the tray, my phone is already in my hand anyway. I personally love the feature, not sure why all the hate. One less I need to carry in my pockets
Appreciate 4
Vic5519363.50
Accentu8703.50
Volcanic168.00
BTWCD86.00
      10-26-2022, 04:11 PM   #22
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

I love not having a big fat key in my pocket--- Ive got other shit that takes up space LOL

And in reality I always take my phone out of a back pocket no matter what car Im getting in so its not an inconvenience to place it against the handle.

All I do is tray place the phone, start, and remove the phone and drive the shit out of my car with no key not recognized error. Now mind you, if I leave the car with the phone for a minute or so while the car is on, Ill get the error but I can still drive.

I have a Samsung Ultra 22 and boy it took some unique things to get it to work though. Im sure the Iphone is easier.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 3
TheGreatM82174.50
BTWCD86.00
Volcanic168.00