M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos E92/G37 Options

10-09-2007, 11:42 AM   #45
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Nav + gadgets are MUCH MUCH better on the G37 -- hopefully someone will write something up. I've been meaning to but haven't hard time. BMW really needs to get that act together on that one. I recently sat in my friend's G35 and the nav system is really about 10x better. The BMW nav is very rudimentary.

Some simple examples that I remember (there were a TON more): the G37 will superimpose traffic info on the map itself with colors to show traffic (like Yahoo maps does, for example). A lot more stuff is customizable. It shows brands of gas stations with little icons. Lots of stuff like that.

But yeah, as usual the driving experience in the BMW is better. But that gap is shrinking each time around... The driving experience gap is a lot smaller than the gadget/navigation/price gap, that's for sure!
WAIT! You're trying to tell me that the G35 NAV is better than BMW's? Are you serious? For one thing, the GUI sucked. Secondly, you couldn't even input information while the car was in motion. Highly irritating indeed! There was NOTHING great about the G35 NAV. The G37 NAV, however, has been greatly improved. I'm going to have to disagree about the driving experience gap as well. It's alot larger than you are willing to admit.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2007, 11:47 AM   #46
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace View Post
-Power thigh bolsters in the sport seats sound like they would be nice for "wide body" owners.
-The hard drive and CF are a wash with BMW's Ipod and thumb drive
-Location of the "Idrive" like control is very awkward to use. You have to reach up and there's no place to rest your hand when you're operating it. Idrive is much more comfortable to use.
-Touch screen Nav? Mounted too far away to be convienient. Deeply hooded making it difficult to see what you're touching because you hand blocks it. Fingerprints.
-Birds eye Nav POV. I do like the birds eye perspective and use it on my G35 all the time. Much better than a view looking straight down. Haven't tried the BMWs yet, does it have a similar POV?
-Rear view camera....uhhhhh...what are the windows for? Actually, the G37 rearward vis is worse than the BMWs so maybe they really need this. Can't see where this is a great advantage over BMWs system
-Power steering wheel adjust
-Memory settings include steering wheel.
-6MT only hastwo interior color choices neither of which are Coral Red leather

Agreed! I did enjoy the power upper/lower bolsters. Nice touch! You made a great point about the fact that the controls for the NAV on the G37 are out of reach, and would be a pain to adjust on-the-fly. I neglected to note that in my review of the G37.

As for the bird's eye POV, yeah, it's called perspective view in the BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
Here's the deal. If you rarely drive a little north of what most people would deem irresponsible (ie, a little faster, higher rpms, enjoy "pressing on" when on curvy desolate country roads) then you should buy the G37.

If you're into serious modding an Asian car will give u better bang for the $.

The G37 will idle along in rush hour traffic just as well as the 335. Reliablility will be on par with the 335. A similiarly equiped G37 will be ~ $10k cheaper.
The price gap isn't necessarily that huge.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2007, 11:49 AM   #47
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

every review says what a joke the compact flash slot is......there is no ipod connection in the infiniti....everyone has an ipod yet they put a fuckin HD and a card slot....what idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!
________
buy vapor tower
________
AnastaciaY

Last edited by purplewidow; 09-11-2011 at 05:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2007, 11:51 AM   #48
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbo335i View Post
just get the infiniti
cuz i'd rather see more g37s on the road than e92
makes me feel more exclusive"
pshhhhhhh too late! it dont matter any more
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #49
Design1314
Major
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
every review says what a joke the compact flash slot is......there is no ipod connection in the infiniti....everyone has an ipod yet they put a fuckin HD and a card slot....what idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!
G37 has the iPod option
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #50
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryangles View Post
G37 has:
-Rear-view camera
-Touch screen navigation
-Compact Flash slot
-10gb hard-drive

E92 has...
-Better engine and power
-Better looking body
-Warranty
-Turbos!!
1) We'll talk to you about those TURBOS in 50k miles when you don't have the warranty any more and when they crap on you
2) Power -- I am not sure 0.2 sec 0-100 km/s time is very noticeable
3) You forgot that G37 puts at least $3-4k in your pocket right when you purchase it compared to e92 (335)
4) Does the G37 come standard with leather, or they have leatherette, too?
5) Do they have shit RFT's?

a) The styling is debatable, but I like the e92 much better.
b) e92 does have useable back seat
c) better mileage on e92

All in all, very debatable thread, however, very subjective on this forum...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2007, 12:34 PM   #51
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
1) We'll talk to you about those TURBOS in 50k miles when you don't have the warranty any more and when they crap on you
2) Power -- I am not sure 0.2 sec 0-100 km/s time is very noticeable
3) You forgot that G37 puts at least $3-4k in your pocket right when you purchase it compared to e92 (335)
4) Does the G37 come standard with leather, or they have leatherette, too?
5) Do they have shit RFT's?

a) The styling is debatable, but I like the e92 much better.
b) e92 does have useable back seat
c) better mileage on e92

All in all, very debatable thread, however, very subjective on this forum...
The leather seats are standard I believe. Admittedly, I didn't pay much attention to the standard options when I test drove it. As far as the RFT's, I'm not sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2007, 01:08 PM   #52
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace View Post
-Power thigh bolsters in the sport seats sound like they would be nice for "wide body" owners.
-The hard drive and CF are a wash with BMW's Ipod and thumb drive
-Location of the "Idrive" like control is very awkward to use. You have to reach up and there's no place to rest your hand when you're operating it. Idrive is much more comfortable to use.
-Touch screen Nav? Mounted too far away to be convienient. Deeply hooded making it difficult to see what you're touching because you hand blocks it. Fingerprints.
-Birds eye Nav POV. I do like the birds eye perspective and use it on my G35 all the time. Much better than a view looking straight down. Haven't tried the BMWs yet, does it have a similar POV?
-Rear view camera....uhhhhh...what are the windows for? Actually, the G37 rearward vis is worse than the BMWs so maybe they really need this. Can't see where this is a great advantage over BMWs system
-Power steering wheel adjust
-Memory settings include steering wheel.
-6MT only hastwo interior color choices neither of which are Coral Red leather
+1

iDrive is perfectly placed. The Nav in Infiniti, Lexus, Audi is badly positioned, you have to reach for it and even just to look or set something you have to take your eyes of the road for too long.
Never had that problem with iDrive.
      10-09-2007, 02:18 PM   #53
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ice View Post
+1

iDrive is perfectly placed. The Nav in Infiniti, Lexus, Audi is badly positioned, you have to reach for it and even just to look or set something you have to take your eyes of the road for too long.
Never had that problem with iDrive.
+2

The IDrive knob just falls right into your hand the moment you place your forearm on the armrest. It is truly convenient.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2007, 02:20 PM   #54
PaPaGz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport MG

wow i think some people have really come to believe that there is no other car on the road that is better than the 335...its unbelievable to me
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2007, 02:27 PM   #55
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaGz View Post
wow i think some people have really come to believe that there is no other car on the road that is better than the 335...its unbelievable to me

Human nature. What somone should do who's cross shopping is ask about problems with X car and never mention to the people who own X that you're also looking at Y.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #56
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

G35/G37 LSD
335 none..except you need to spend $3k to get one.

Turbo G35 and new G37 can be monsters.

To each his own.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2007, 02:40 PM   #57
PaPaGz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
Human nature. What somone should do who's cross shopping is ask about problems with X car and never mention to the people who own X that you're also looking at Y.
makes complete sense...just odd
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2007, 03:19 PM   #58
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaGz View Post
I think that is a gross exaggeration. We ALL know that there are better vehicles than the 335, however, what is best for one isn't best for all. The 335 has its flaws, but when compared to the G37, the 335 is the better performing, characteristically more enjoyable vehicle to drive. You are going to have people who are increasingly passionate about their vehicle regardless of the manufacturer. Passion is often the key ingredient in a vehicle selection recipe. Why buy it if you're not passionate about it...........right?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2007, 03:50 PM   #59
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
What cool gadgets? Yes the Hard Drive thing is nice, but other than that...no big deal.

Let not forget that our "piece-of-shit" iDrive, for example, allows us to set and customize options that Lexus and Infinity don't have with their on-board computers.

My friend with the is350 had to go to the dealership to have her light set to stay on a certain amount of time.

So, we have cool things that they don't have also.
LMAO, people actually use that?!? hahah, what about the backup camera and the touch screen nav?

I know i've pampered myself with those two, so switching to the E92 might be a bit hard for me...still waiting for the 135i....
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2007, 03:51 PM   #60
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
+2

The IDrive knob just falls right into your hand the moment you place your forearm on the armrest. It is truly convenient.
yeah, and you have to look at the damn screen for 20mins to figure it out
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2007, 03:54 PM   #61
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
In what vehicle? If you're talking about IDrive, it takes a competent individual 10 minutes to figure out the basics of the system, and mere seconds to access what you need once you are familiar with it. Sure, there are a few things that you will discover along the way (..after some probing into the system), but the main screen is self explanatory.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #62
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
only if you are a retard....
      10-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #63
PaPaGz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I think that is a gross exaggeration. We ALL know that there are better vehicles than the 335, however, what is best for one isn't best for all. The 335 has its flaws, but when compared to the G37, the 335 is the better performing, characteristically more enjoyable vehicle to drive. You are going to have people who are increasingly passionate about their vehicle regardless of the manufacturer. Passion is often the key ingredient in a vehicle selection recipe. Why buy it if you're not passionate about it...........right?
of course i understand exactly what your saying. Im an auto enthusiast...i respect all cars for their abilities. Hell I'm on so many forums it saddens me that I do nothing w/ my life hahaha just kidding. But I just haven't seen such fanboy attitudes concentrated in one place ya know? Obviously every forum will have the arrogant prick who will think that b/c they drive a bmw, audi, mbz or w/e they are better than others or that b/c the car is faster than this they have a bigger e-penis or something. I dno...I just hope to see it dissipate soon. I mean yes 335 is fast, its sexy, great motor etc...
but hey I can get that from a B5 S4 or a vette or something.
/rant
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2007, 05:00 PM   #64
Turbomatic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, 335xic, Rav4

All other options aside, my problem with G37 is that it went from this:

to this:

and its heavier, have a stupid small trunk, and tight interior despite the large size. If it was more like the concept in looks and had less weight I probably would have consider it.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2007, 05:15 PM   #65
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
only if you are a retard....
oh and i'm sure it took you less than a min to figure it out mrs. smarty pants...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2007, 05:17 PM   #66
TwiBlueG35
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Lexus IS350 Obsidian/Black

335i coupe > G37 > 328i coupe. This is what I truely think.
Appreciate 0