M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos "Detroit's auto show has reached the end of the road"

01-20-2019, 11:50 AM   #1
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
"Detroit's auto show has reached the end of the road"

Do folks agree with this article s assessment? Not just the show, but petrol powered and even human driven cars that you own in general. My millennial partner has no interest in buying a car and would prefer one with no human driver to try to talk to him honestly.

"The auto industry—or rather what is becoming known as the "mobility" industry—is moving west. Analysts commonly condense the future of the auto industry into three categories: electric, autonomous, and shared. One day, they say, fleets of self-driving electric vehicles will patrol our streets picking up and dropping off passengers in ride-hail services controlled by our phones, ending the need to own cars for millions of people. That vision is still decades away, of course, but almost none of the new technology needed to realize it is based in Detroit. That belongs to Silicon Valley. And China. And wherever the digital economy has sunk roots.

You'll find it on display at the annual Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, the new nexus for technology and cars, and at the LA Auto Show. At this year's CES, held earlier this month, Mercedes-Benz trotted out a new tech-forward CLA-Class for 2020 packed with driver assist and infotainment systems. Uber talked flying taxis. Audi joined Disney to design a VR experience, and Hyundai dispatched an emergency-response vehicle that walks on articulated legs.

The Detroit car show, meanwhile, seemed stuck in 2010"

https://qz.com/1527487/detroits-auto...d-of-the-road/
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 12:31 PM   #2
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

I've never really got the whole Autoshow thing. I get it for the industry types, but I just don't get going to the shows. Even if I was looking to buy a new car I'd rather not deal with the crowds. Go to an auto mall and look at multiple dealerships or do your research on line.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 01:07 PM   #3
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Back in the 90's when I lived in Manhattan i always looked forward to going to the javitz show. Went every year about 5 in a row. Always good vibe and excitement in the house, really enjoyed it. A big difference from a dealership. No desperate salesmen are hawking their products trying to get a commission at a top tier car show. Been too long since I went, maybe time to head back again.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 3
MarkDemma517.00
swanson733.00
      01-20-2019, 03:42 PM   #4
KTN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yeah.

Check out the first episode of The Grand Tour Season 3 for some Detroit action. (not a sponsor )
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 02:00 AM   #5
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTN View Post
Check out the first episode of The Grand Tour Season 3 for some Detroit action. (not a sponsor )
Oh didn't know new new episodes of grumpy middle aged men larking about in cars had dropped.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 07:55 AM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

The author makes some reasonable points, but arriving at such a grim conclusion in the last year before the show moves to its new June date is premature. It was clear the existing format and time slot needed a rethink, and that’s exactly what is being done. No one was expecting this to be a bannner year for the event, and it takes time to change course.

Furthermore, the author does not mention the fact that the Big Three are heavily investing in EV’s and autonomous technology, and that Detroit itself has been slowly molding itself into a tech hub. Plus, the industry as a whole is at an inflection point, plotting a course on how to best respond to the disruption in the market. There are a number of products coming in the early 2020s that will be designed with the changing tides in mind.

Detroit’s automotive future may not be a certain bet, but let’s see what the show organizers and local automakers have in store before writing them off. If everything being worked on now behind closed doors fails to make an impact, I will agree it’s time to start talking about the thinning of the herd. But even then, its not likely that said herd is going to solely include the Chinese and Tesla. And if it does, the resulting economic effects are going to be felt throughout the country, not just in Detroit.
Appreciate 2
detroitm22426.50
      01-21-2019, 11:30 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

When an electric car can drive itself out to the country where I live and pick me up and take me to work faster and cheaper than I can DIY, I'll start paying attention. Autonomous driving is not a cell phone app..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 11:36 AM   #8
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I love how they say the showroom was empty, in an article published on the 16th, which was an "industry preview" day. It was not even open to the public.

Also, the publisher of said article is a Tesla/EV fanboy. I really cant take anything that was said there with any kind of weight.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2019, 11:37 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Unmanned Uber Flying Taxis... Lol. The FAA is barely able to allow drone operation BVLOS, and Uber thinks they'll be flying autonomous taxis soon after 2023...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 11:41 AM   #10
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The author makes some reasonable points, but arriving at such a grim conclusion in the last year before the show moves to its new June date is premature. It was clear the existing format and time slot needed a rethink, and that’s exactly what is being done. No one was expecting this to be a bannner year for the event, and it takes time to change course.

Furthermore, the author does not mention the fact that the Big Three are heavily investing in EV’s and autonomous technology, and that Detroit itself has been slowly molding itself into a tech hub. Plus, the industry as a whole is at an inflection point, plotting a course on how to best respond to the disruption in the market. There are a number of products coming in the early 2020s that will be designed with the changing tides in mind.

Detroit’s automotive future may not be a certain bet, but let’s see what the show organizers and local automakers have in store before writing them off. If everything being worked on now behind closed doors fails to make an impact, I will agree it’s time to start talking about the thinning of the herd. But even then, its not likely that said herd is going to solely include the Chinese and Tesla. And if it does, the resulting economic effects are going to be felt throughout the country, not just in Detroit.
Agreed with pretty much everything. It still amazes me that people feel the need to pass judgement on the area without even doing ANY research.

Do they honestly think that metro-detroit is not onboard with EV/mobility? A quick job search on one of many public sites can show you what direction the city is going. Theres literally thousands of mobility/connected drive/etc related jobs in the area, and a bunch of new startups taking hold here. We're by no means "passing the reigns" to silicon valley.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 11:45 AM   #11
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
I've never really got the whole Autoshow thing. I get it for the industry types, but I just don't get going to the shows. Even if I was looking to buy a new car I'd rather not deal with the crowds. Go to an auto mall and look at multiple dealerships or do your research on line.
I proabably can't afford of those cars brand new.

Still fun to check them out if you like cars. Especially with friends.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      01-21-2019, 10:20 PM   #12
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Through the first weekend there were 185,000 people in attendance...down 30K from last year (which I believe was a near all-time high) but still a lot of people in attendance. Be mindful that this past weekend there was a snowstorm in the region making driving downtown very treacherous. Last year it was cold but sunny.

I braved the snow on opening day (this past Saturday) with very low expectations and came away pleasantly surprised. Yes it sucked not having my favorite brands there, but there was still plenty to see. It was worth the trip.

The crux of the problem lies in the internet/social media + Big 3's stronghold on the metro Detroit market + terrible January weather = the show organizers not adapting to changing times. They really needed to make this switch to June to hopefully get the Germans back in town.

Downtown Detroit has cleaned up significantly in recent years, with even some high end retailers like Lululemon and John Varvatos opening up stores and a slew of new fancy hotels, restaurants, and nightlife. It's no longer the total sh*thole it once was. The move to June in 2020 will give people the opportunity to explore all this.

Last edited by Germanauto; 01-21-2019 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00