M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Has Anyone Had Their Hood Fixed?

05-31-2020, 02:54 PM   #1
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Has Anyone Had Their Hood Fixed?

Since it was determined a while back that we shouldn't have to slam the hood closed, has anyone had theirs fixed yet? I also don't think the forced extreme slamming, especially with one side not latching properly is very good with it being aluminum. So anyone had/having this addressed? I'm waiting for my oil service and have to show them the TSB as my dealer was also peddleing the "ya gotta slam the $hit out of it!" stuff...so much for advocating precision German engineering lol

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible

Last edited by RJC-1; 05-31-2020 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 06:01 PM   #2
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
My contribution and perhaps the answer to your question.

Slammin' to the Big Beat by Dirty Looks, from the aptly titled album Turn of the Screw!

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 06:12 PM   #3
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

^lol

Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      05-31-2020, 08:52 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
My contribution and perhaps the answer to your question.

Slammin' to the Big Beat by Dirty Looks, from the aptly titled album Turn of the Screw!

Okay Ozzie8 you just gave me the LOL moment of the day. In 1988 I spent a lot of time with Dirty Looks as my fellow partner in guitar crime aka George Lynch was instrumental in getting Bob Ludwig involved to master Cool from the Wire which is still the quintessential Dirty Looks album.

In fact I have a set of memories forever emblazoned into my mind from when Paul (Dirty Looks), Warren (Ratt), Mick (Bulletboys) and I all gained entry into the Aerosmith Permanent Vacation tour stop in Long Beach CA given Dokken was the opening act. While Aerosmith was onstage we (including George since his gig was over) literally drank all the alcohol in their dressing room. The rest of the night after that is privileged information and cannot be posted on the Internet.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      05-31-2020, 09:52 PM   #5
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Okay Ozzie8 you just gave me the LOL moment of the day. In 1988 I spent a lot of time with Dirty Looks as my fellow partner in guitar crime aka George Lynch was instrumental in getting Bob Ludwig involved to master Cool from the Wire which is still the quintessential Dirty Looks album.

In fact I have a set of memories forever emblazoned into my mind from when Paul (Dirty Looks), Warren (Ratt), Mick (Bulletboys) and I all gained entry into the Aerosmith Permanent Vacation tour stop in Long Beach CA given Dokken was the opening act. While Aerosmith was onstage we (including George since his gig was over) literally drank all the alcohol in their dressing room. The rest of the night after that is privileged information and cannot be posted on the Internet.
Like I've said before...party at Bloozeman's house! Bring lot's of Bombay Sapphire!

Last edited by RJC-1; 05-31-2020 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 10:09 PM   #6
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
bloozemanAZ your musical heritage is a rich tapestry with a high thread count!

My question, is that you on the album cover of Turn of the Screw? Obviously the young lad....
Appreciate 1
RJC-11283.50
      06-01-2020, 03:39 PM   #7
tg_vegas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW B8 Alpina

Easy fix

Its a simple adjustment of the hood latch loop on the underside of the hood. Both of my M8s needed a slight adjustment on the drivers side.

13mm open-end wrench. Open your hood and look at the hood latches, you'll see one end of the hood loop has a 13mm "nut". This is an adjustment point. As you turn the wrench one way or the other, the loop will extend to make the hood close sooner, the opposite will pull the hood down more.

This is literally a 2 minute job.
Appreciate 2
RJC-11283.50
      06-01-2020, 05:54 PM   #8
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Thanks tg_vegas I will explore things on the weekend...while I'm listening to Slammin' to the Big Beat.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 10:36 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
bloozemanAZ your musical heritage is a rich tapestry with a high thread count!

My question, is that you on the album cover of Turn of the Screw? Obviously the young lad....
Definitely not me as in 1989 I was in my early 20s and had hair down to my waist. However, the rich tapestry (love the high thread count analogy) still lives on as I still meet up with Warren and George a couple of times a year to see an up and coming band they are dialed into. George owns a couple of studios (one here in Phoenix and another in CA) so he's usually the instigator of the get together given the bands we see have done some recording in them.

I just love the opportunity to hang out with both of them as they are a couple of my guitar gods although both are extremely modest and do not view themselves as such. Of course the first hour of any get together includes both of them peppering me we "how's the IT world?", "getting bored with that career?", "you're wasting your talent away", etc. However, in reality they understand the decision I made career wise as they both understand if you can make a living via a passion in life (music or technology for me) you are absolutely blessed. In other words technically you are actually not working but rather pursuing that passion with a paycheck to boot.

Sadly with COVID-19 I do not see a get together on the horizon whatsoever for 2020. Generally that means a trip to LA or Austin (their music scene squelches LA for the most part) and that is just not in the cards for now. Fingers crossed that in Q4 we are back to some level of normalcy and I'll have the opportunity to see an up and coming band plus hang out with my heroes.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 10:40 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_vegas View Post
Its a simple adjustment of the hood latch loop on the underside of the hood. Both of my M8s needed a slight adjustment on the drivers side.

13mm open-end wrench. Open your hood and look at the hood latches, you'll see one end of the hood loop has a 13mm "nut". This is an adjustment point. As you turn the wrench one way or the other, the loop will extend to make the hood close sooner, the opposite will pull the hood down more.

Good to know and thanks for sharing as it will help many fellow 8-series owners. I seem to be the odd one out when it comes to the hood issue as my 2020 M850i's hood closes without having to do the proverbial "slam it shut like no tomorrow".
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2020, 12:02 PM   #11
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:

This works!

As I believe was most common, my hood issue was on the passenger side. Three turns to the right - lengthening the loop a few threads - brought that latch into perfect alignment with a gentle close of the hood.

Unfortunately, now the driver's side was unaligned. So, three turns to the right on that nut - lengthening THAT loop by a few turns - did the trick.

Now, the hood closes nicely (and with perfect spacing) without using a jackhammer.

Thanks tg_vegas. Much appreciated.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 2
RJC-11283.50
Ozzie8641.00
      06-02-2020, 05:03 PM   #12
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for this. The hoods mostly appear not to be latching on the pasngr side, yet yours required adjustment ot the drivers side, so is it the drvs side cauisng the pasngr side not to latch?

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 05:06 PM   #13
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
This works!

As I believe was most common, my hood issue was on the passenger side. Three turns to the right - lengthening the loop a few threads - brought that latch into perfect alignment with a gentle close of the hood.

Unfortunately, now the driver's side was unaligned. So, three turns to the right on that nut - lengthening THAT loop by a few turns - did the trick.

Now, the hood closes nicely (and with perfect spacing) without using a jackhammer.

This is great news. If it's not too much trouble can you please make quick video of what you did and show how easy it is to now close? Thanks

Last edited by RJC-1; 09-24-2020 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 06:18 PM   #14
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Indeed very positive developments.....
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 08:17 PM   #15
tg_vegas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW B8 Alpina

Glad I could help !
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2020, 09:28 PM   #16
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Glad I could help !
Quote:
This works!

Did the adjustment today only needed one turn on psngr side and 1/2 on drivers and it closes much easier and no longer gets hung up on psngr side, but it still is not able to close just by dropping it from 2 feet like in my MB. Do I need to further adjust, or is this is good as it gets? Redhot47fla What exactly do you mean by a gentle close? Lowering it so the hood rests on the latches then a gentle push on the roundel?

Last edited by RJC-1; 09-21-2020 at 12:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 09:03 PM   #17
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Redhot47fla What exactly do you mean by a gentle close? Lowering it so the hood rests on the latches then a gentle push on the roundel?
I just close it like...a normal car. Yes, that way. But I sometimes just pressure it down a bit to relieve it from the de-tents and then I let gravity take over. No real muscle action is required.

I think maybe you should try another turn or two and see what happens.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11283.50
      09-21-2020, 09:37 PM   #18
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just close it like...a normal car. Yes, that way. But I sometimes just pressure it down a bit to relieve it from the de-tents and then I let gravity take over. No real muscle action is required.

My other vehicles with heavier type hoods closed by gravity from about 2 feet above. Those with lighter hoods/boot covers like 911's are to rest against the latches, then a light follow through type push to lock it down.

Amazing so many dealers still tell everyone they must slam it on their 8 series...this is not what German precision engineering is supposed to be all about

Appreciate 1
      09-21-2020, 10:05 PM   #19
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Quote:

My other vehicles with heavier type hoods closed by gravity from about 2 feet above. Those with lighter hoods/boot covers like 911's are to rest against the latches, then a light follow through type push to lock it down.

Amazing so many dealers still tell everyone they must slam it on their 8 series...this is not what German precision engineering is supposed to be all about
I forget where I was on my journey down but it was the mid-west somewhere and the car asked for an oil top up. I obliged and asked Skippy to take me to the nearest dealer. They were great as expected and topped her up on the forecourt. I literally had to jump out of the seat to stop them pushing down on the driver's side of the hood when it didn't close on attempt #2. I explained it requires finesse and proceeded to demonstrate how to slam the shit out of the thing... I departed with an, "et voila and thanks" and continued on my way.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      09-21-2020, 10:08 PM   #20
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
I forget where I was on my journey down but it was the mid-west somewhere and the car asked for an oil top up. I obliged and asked Skippy to take me to the nearest dealer. They were great as expected and topped her up on the forecourt. I literally had to jump out of the seat to stop them pushing down on the driver's side of the hood when it didn't close on attempt #2. I explained it requires finesse and proceeded to demonstrate how to slam the shit out of the thing... I departed with an, "et voila and thanks" and continued on my way.
Have you adjusted yours since? It's very simple.

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 10:12 PM   #21
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Have you adjusted yours since? It's very simple.
I have not. To be honest, the albeit-sarcastic description of how we need to close them hasn't really been a problem. I remember reading someone's post—perhaps yours—but never felt the need to do anything about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 12:20 AM   #22
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
I also have not adjusted mine. I did attempt to follow the thread instructions but I was worried I would do something stupid like screw up the gap clearances, shut the hood and chip paint of the edges or similar. The other point is I have perfected my "hood slammin' with follow through to the floor" technique. Its firm but not too aggressive.
Appreciate 0