M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Frequent Satellite Radio Drops...

05-27-2020, 09:15 PM   #1
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Frequent Satellite Radio Drops...

Anybody else having frequent drops in Satellite Radio Reception? I’ve found mind to be awful. Hoping there is a fix….hearing every other word of Howard Stern just isn't enough...

Found this on a very old post from ‘redhot47fla’

“Separately, I am a fan of (and former consultant for) XM satellite radio. (To me, it always will be just "XM".) Anyway, I am noticing many more dropouts in sat-radio reception in the M850 than I've ever experienced with any other BMW model or any other car from any manufacturer. I stumbled upon a schematic that seemed to show that the sat-radio antenna is buried in the M850's rear driver-side fender, since there is no shark fin antenna on this model. That almost certainly is the source of the reception issue. Anyone else noticing the same?”
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 07:01 AM   #2
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Yep, that’s me. I traded that M850 coupe for my current M850 ‘vert and the same issue occurs.

It’s not a constant problem for me - sat-radio reception is fine most of the time here. But I find that the XM antenna - buried inside the M850 - is less able to overcome overhanging trees and similar obstructions than it is on other vehicles. I imagine that the problem occurs much more frequently for you in the New York metropolitan area than for me in a semi-rural area.

Given the various challenges of producing satellite radio transmission and reception - and the tiny margins of error - I can’t imagine what they were thinking when they decided on that placement of the antenna.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.

Last edited by redhot47fla; 05-28-2020 at 07:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 07:25 AM   #3
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Yep, that’s me. I traded that M850 coupe for my current M850 ‘vert and the same issue occurs.

It’s not a constant problem for me - sat-radio reception is fine most of the time. But I find that the XM antenna - buried inside the M850 - is less able to overcome overhanging trees and similar obstructions than it is on other vehicles.

Given the various challenges of producing satellite radio transmission and reception - and the tiny margins of error - I can’t imagine what they were thinking when they decided on that placement of the antenna.
Is there anyway you can think of to improve it? It's really awful under trees, constantly going out.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 07:30 AM   #4
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
Is there anyway you can think of to improve it? It's really awful under trees, constantly going out.
I'm at a loss. There may be a way to amplify the antenna signal - perhaps a top-notch auto sound tech can install something between the antenna and the head unit?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 08:15 AM   #5
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm at a loss. There may be a way to amplify the antenna signal - perhaps a top-notch auto sound tech can install something between the antenna and the head unit?
Would be worth it. Wish I knew somebody when did that.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 09:48 AM   #6
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

FWIW, in the olden days of satellite radio (the early-mid 2000s), signal amplifiers did exist, though generally for home units. If you find someone who can do this for you, please let me know. Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 09:49 AM   #7
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
FWIW, in the olden days of satellite radio (the early-mid 2000s), signal amplifiers did exist, though generally for home units. If you find someone who can do this for you, please let me know. Many thanks.
I guess I can just stream through phone, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 01:54 PM   #8
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Actually, that's a good idea. There might be a diminution of sound quality, but even at its best, sat-radio isn't famous for its bit rate and sound quality. That said, acquiring the stream signal should resolve the dropout issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 11:14 AM   #9
Docpete6
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 white m850i GC

Is it the shark fin.

I also have the same issue. Additionally my connected drive does not.
I can see the antenna on the rear windshield. Was the shark fin also an XM antenna? I always blame my dropped calls on apple and verizon.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 12:14 PM   #10
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docpete6 View Post
I can see the antenna on the rear windshield. Was the shark fin also an XM antenna? I always blame my dropped calls on apple and verizon.
A little confused by your reply. Connected Drive is an entirely different and known issue. There are many threads about it here and, coincidentally, my own post about software-update issue contains replies along those lines.

The now-common shark fin antenna on many vehicles are almost universally related to satellite radio reception, though I suppose that some may also have some cell phone or embedded OEM utility.

I’m unaware of how the 850 GC acquires its satellite signal, but no antennae are embedded to my knowledge in the rear windshields of the 850 coupe or, obviously, the convertible.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 10:07 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Far from an expert but based on my prior experience with DBS satellite (aka DishNetwork or DirecTV) in my first step at cutting the cable cord over 25 years ago it is completely directional. SiriusXM is a different mode of that same technology and hence you can drive around but still get a signal. However, it still is somewhat line-of-sight so even with a shark fin antenna sit too long under an overpass and you'll get complete drop out.

In other words I do not think an amplifier within the car to "boost" the signal from the antenna will help as at least in my experience the primary dropouts I get is when in my garage. For example if I park the car with SiriusXM as the source it's all fine as I press the start button to kill the engine, exit the car, etc. However, the next time I start up the car as I wait for the first kick down of the cold start RPMs (there are actually two but I'll never engage reverse until at least the first one is in play) I'll get drop outs from the SiriusXM station.

Sad to hear that it is actually dropping out from trees as that just means a piss poor antenna location design. The shark fin on my wife's X5 worked much better in all situations (including inside the garage) prior to dropping the SiriusXM subscription for it (she only listens to a local FM station).
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 10:08 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docpete6 View Post
Pretty sure the antenna in the rear windshield is AM/FM only.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 10:15 PM   #13
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The now-common shark fin antenna on many vehicles are almost universally related to satellite radio reception, though I suppose that some may also have some cell phone or embedded OEM utility.
They all include GPS as well now and at least on my wife's X5 it has a cellular antenna as well so if you hook up an iOS phone to a specific adapter within the console you get the outside antenna for your cellular service. However, since we are both Android based it is useless.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 10:29 PM   #14
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I’m unaware of how the 850 GC acquires its satellite signal, but no antennae are embedded to my knowledge in the rear windshields of the 850 coupe or, obviously, the convertible.
I assume the rear window grid fabric includes an AM/FM antenna as on my outgoing Lexus the antenna fabric in the rear window served dual purpose along with heated defrost. Perhaps the M850i's fabric is defrost only.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 07:26 AM   #15
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Far from an expert but based on my prior experience with DBS satellite (aka DishNetwork or DirecTV) in my first step at cutting the cable cord over 25 years ago it is completely directional. SiriusXM is a different mode of that same technology and hence you can drive around but still get a signal. However, it still is somewhat line-of-sight so even with a shark fin antenna sit too long under an overpass and you'll get complete drop out.

In other words I do not think an amplifier within the car to "boost" the signal from the antenna will help as at least in my experience the primary dropouts I get is when in my garage. For example if I park the car with SiriusXM as the source it's all fine as I press the start button to kill the engine, exit the car, etc. However, the next time I start up the car as I wait for the first kick down of the cold start RPMs (there are actually two but I'll never engage reverse until at least the first one is in play) I'll get drop outs from the SiriusXM station.

Sad to hear that it is actually dropping out from trees as that just means a piss poor antenna location design. The shark fin on my wife's X5 worked much better in all situations (including inside the garage) prior to dropping the SiriusXM subscription for it (she only listens to a local FM station).
An antenna amplifier will not help when you're deep inside a garage or if you sit under an overpass (there already is buffering capability that will maintain your signal for about four seconds under any obstruction, but that's a whole different conversation).

An antenna amplifier theoretically could help you maintain a signal in more marginal conditions, such as passing under a row of trees (the dropout problem intensifies if the leaves are wet) or as you're driving through a canyon of tall buildings.

In the end, the positioning of the sat-radio antenna inside the M850 and apparently buried near the rear driver-side wheel certainly seems like a questionable choice.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 08:58 PM   #16
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
An antenna amplifier will not help when you're deep inside a garage or if you sit under an overpass (there already is buffering capability that will maintain your signal for about four seconds under any obstruction, but that's a whole different conversation).

An antenna amplifier theoretically could help you maintain a signal in more marginal conditions, such as passing under a row of trees (the dropout problem intensifies if the leaves are wet) or as you're driving through a canyon of tall buildings.

In the end, the positioning of the sat-radio antenna inside the M850 and apparently buried near the rear driver-side wheel certainly seems like a questionable choice.
Agreed on the lack of Shark Fin (guessing an issue with the carbon fiber roof and obviously a no go with the convertibles) with the result being burying the antenna in the rear driver-side fender as the culprit. I'm still not sure on how an amplifier can solve the problem though as satellite by nature is line of sight and if blocked (underpass, garage, tress, etc.) the only thing an amplifier can do is just amplify the "radio silence" from the drop out.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 08:33 AM   #17
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

I think it's been said, but I listen to SirusXM in the cars. I've never noticed any problems with drop out or drop off signal in my 2019 M850i. However, I live near DC and only drive less than 2000 miles on the convertible.

That said, and I think you mentioned it, but you can always use Apple car play to stream it to the car. Either the $10/mo ATT Wi-Fi or with your phone's cell service.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 03:25 PM   #18
pcognett
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Anybody else having frequent drops in Satellite Radio Reception? I’ve found mind to be awful. Hoping there is a fix….hearing every other word of Howard Stern just isn't enough...

Found this on a very old post from ‘redhot47fla’

“Separately, I am a fan of (and former consultant for) XM satellite radio. (To me, it always will be just "XM".) Anyway, I am noticing many more dropouts in sat-radio reception in the M850 than I've ever experienced with any other BMW model or any other car from any manufacturer. I stumbled upon a schematic that seemed to show that the sat-radio antenna is buried in the M850's rear driver-side fender, since there is no shark fin antenna on this model. That almost certainly is the source of the reception issue. Anyone else noticing the same?”
I have a 2021 M8 Gran Coupe and just googled this issue and found this post. The constant dropping of the signal is driving me nuts. Whatever eight series you have this certainly cost a significant amount of money and having this big of a design flaw is unacceptable. I’ll be contacting my dealer and BMW USA. If anybody does come up with a solution please reply back.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 07:46 PM   #19
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
I don’t really use Sirius/XM, but you can DL the app, then use CarPlay. Using phone data should be more reliable.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 08:39 PM   #20
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
I don’t really use Sirius/XM, but you can DL the app, then use CarPlay. Using phone data should be more reliable.
Very true and I've done the same but via Android Auto. Both Car Play and Android Auto use the internal WiFi for the streaming to give the greatest bandwidth possible vs Bluetooth but from my experience the "app" is more compressed (it's using data aka the Internet) than the true direct Sirius/XM to a radio receiver via Satellite. Either way to your point the mobile app will not have the drop outs but the audio quality does take a bit of a hit. For most that won't matter but for audiophiles like myself it is noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 08:41 PM   #21
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Very true and I've done the same but via Android Auto. Both Car Play and Android Auto use the internal WiFi for the streaming to give the greatest bandwidth possible vs Bluetooth but from my experience the "app" is more compressed (it's using data aka the Internet) than the true direct Sirius/XM to a radio receiver via Satellite. Either way to your point the mobile app will not have the drop outs but the audio quality does take a bit of a hit. For most that won't matter but for audiophiles like myself it is noticeable.
Front row at too many rock concerts as a younger man, i don’t think I could ever tell the difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 09:05 PM   #22
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
Front row at too many rock concerts as a younger man, i don’t think I could ever tell the difference.
LOL as did that plus play on stage professionally but I used sonic valve earplugs throughout which just filter out the high-end damaging ranges. In fact you can even have a normal conversation with them in place as nothing within that range gets blocked. It's been close to two decades since I've played professionally but I still use them (and have my wife do so as well) for every concert we attend which includes a lot of 10 rows or less from the stage thanks to my connections still alive and well in the music business.

Granted we haven't attended a concert in well over a year now due to COVID-19 but we're both vaccinated and I have 2nd row center section on the floor for Guns N Roses when they hit Phoenix on August 30th.
Appreciate 1
'Cane8345.00