M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion AC Issues ??

05-22-2020, 07:36 PM   #1
tg_vegas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW B8 Alpina

AC Issues ??

Anyone else having AC issues? My first 2020 M8 AC failed so many times in my first 30 days that BMW took the car back. My second 2020 M8 is now having the same issues. Sometimes just hot air until I shut off and restart the car. Most of the time I get hot air when I'm accelerating and cold when I'm not.

Is it just me or is this happening to any of you guys?

Last edited by tg_vegas; 05-22-2020 at 07:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2020, 08:00 PM   #2
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_vegas View Post
Anyone else having AC issues? My first 2020 M8 AC failed so many times in my first 30 days that BMW took the car back. My second 2020 M8 is now having the same issues. Sometimes just hot air until I shut off and restart the car. Most of the time I get hot air when I'm accelerating and cold when I'm not.

The AC on/off switch isn't obvious nor is it obvious when it is actually on or off. It's the center button beneath the AC temp mini screens. My guess is you already know this but two cars in a row seems less likely.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2020, 09:17 PM   #3
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:

Pls elaborate

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2020, 09:22 PM   #4
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
No issues.

However with this car, I have moved from the old micro temperature adjustment dials integrated on the front driver/passenger air vents to the new digital settings (from the menu button immediately adjacent to the front air vents).

I do find the digital settings more impactful in that one or two digital notches towards warmer, makes the air a lot warmer on an auto temperature setting (main air cond auto setting).

Really miss the manual dials. Suggest you try adjusting the digital settings.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2020, 10:38 PM   #5
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
AC issues are the kiss of death here in AZ. To that point I've never been satisfied with my wife's 2017 X5's AC performance. I've had it checked several times and the end result is that it is operating within specifications. However, my CA disclosed late last year that BMW recognized the issue with the X5 AC and that has been resolved with the 2019s and moving forward.

So far the AC in my 2020 M850i has performed flawlessly. Granted we are just entering the summer months and temperatures are barely 100F. Once we hit the 110F plus in July and August that may be a different story. Depending on that this will be a major indicator in whether the M850i is with me for the long haul as planned or is just a one and done with the lease expiration. AC performance is a critical factor here in AZ so no matter how much I love the car if the AC cannot handle the heat I'll definitely be moving on.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2020, 09:30 AM   #6
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

FWIW, the 2019 M850i's A/C did just fine last summer here in North Florida/South Georgia. We generally stay in the 90s and rarely get above 95F, but that is accompanied by killer humidity from May through September.

The A/C system performed perfectly under those conditions last year, though I was surprised by a low-coolant alert in October. The level proved low and I topped it off, resolving the issue. I can't say if the extreme conditions contributed to that or if the system wasn't properly topped off before delivery. Either way, I'll be watching it closely this summer.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2020, 08:16 PM   #7
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm in S FL, and once or maybe twice I noticed the ac wasn't blowing cold and after playing around with the controls it got cold again (nothing was changed in the interim). Using the recirc button also really helps when things are super hot/humid. I've also found the ventilated seats work best when the ac distribution is set to bilevel (face floor) so they pick up the cold air getting blown under the seats.

Appreciate 3
      05-26-2020, 12:03 PM   #8
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

No problems with AC, but it's not super hot in DC.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 12:33 PM   #9
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
AC issues are the kiss of death here in AZ. To that point I've never been satisfied with my wife's 2017 X5's AC performance. I've had it checked several times and the end result is that it is operating within specifications. However, my CA disclosed late last year that BMW recognized the issue with the X5 AC and that has been resolved with the 2019s and moving forward.

So far the AC in my 2020 M850i has performed flawlessly. Granted we are just entering the summer months and temperatures are barely 100F. Once we hit the 110F plus in July and August that may be a different story. Depending on that this will be a major indicator in whether the M850i is with me for the long haul as planned or is just a one and done with the lease expiration. AC performance is a critical factor here in AZ so no matter how much I love the car if the AC cannot handle the heat I'll definitely be moving on.
having been to my father in law house in Phoenix AZ a couple times, I can agree with you on that summer heat.
But with remote start and preconditioning doesn't that always yield a cool car after a few minutes or even half hour?

that said, I still remember my salesman trying to tell me about all the AC features. when I told him, "it's a convertible, you just drop the top and it's instantly cooler!!"
I almost never drive it with the top up, but even with the top down the AC seems to keep me cooler than the outside temperature.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 06:30 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
having been to my father in law house in Phoenix AZ a couple times, I can agree with you on that summer heat.
But with remote start and preconditioning doesn't that always yield a cool car after a few minutes or even half hour?

that said, I still remember my salesman trying to tell me about all the AC features. when I told him, "it's a convertible, you just drop the top and it's instantly cooler!!"
I almost never drive it with the top up, but even with the top down the AC seems to keep me cooler than the outside temperature.
With the M850i the remote start/preconditioning function from the ConnectedDrive app will definitely be a plus. I tested that back in January after the iDrive update and password change to a different special character and it worked. Catch-22 it's ConnectedDrive so all bets are off for it to function as expected when I really need it.

The wife's X5 preconditioning basically just runs the fans in the car a a preset time or on-demand. Back when I used to carpool with her as my last gig was about 8 miles away from her school (I'd drop her off and then pick her up on the way home) in the middle of the summer the preconditioning was basically useless. In reality the preconditioning was me sweating it out until the sub par AC in the X5 finally cooled down the cabin by the time I got to her school.

I used to send her a text message when I pulled into the school's parking lot stating "your chariot has arrived". In hindsight that should have included "and the car is cool now".
Appreciate 2
      05-26-2020, 06:52 PM   #11
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

With the M850i the remote start/preconditioning function from the ConnectedDrive app will definitely be a plus. I tested that back in January after the iDrive update and password change to a different special character and it worked. Catch-22 it's ConnectedDrive so all bets are off for it to function as expected when I really need it.

The wife's X5 preconditioning basically just runs the fans in the car a a preset time or on-demand. Back when I used to carpool with her as my last gig was about 8 miles away from her school (I'd drop her off and then pick her up on the way home) in the middle of the summer the preconditioning was basically useless. In reality the preconditioning was me sweating it out until the sub par AC in the X5 finally cooled down the cabin by the time I got to her school.

I used to send her a text message when I pulled into the school's parking lot stating "your chariot has arrived". In hindsight that should have included "and the car is cool now".
Haha. In the display key you can set at time. Can you set a time in the app for like 4 pm?
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 08:47 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Haha. In the display key you can set at time. Can you set a time in the app for like 4 pm?
It should be to absolutely nobody's surprise that once again BMW is completely inconsistent on the software front regarding this feature. On my primary Android device with the latest app it just allows me to "Climatize Now" yet on my work iPhone X with the latest version of the app it allows me to "Start Engine Now" or "Schedule Remote Engine Start".

To add insult to injury I attempted to take screen shots of both apps to post. However, once again absolute inconsistency with this time the iOS app being the loser. In other words the iOS app will allow me to take a screenshot but the Android app will not. The key being in either case I was going to obfuscate the car's location before posting as that is data you do not want hitting the Internet. So thumbs up to the Android ConnectedDrive developers for blocking that and thumbs down to the iOS developers.

However, back to the point of BMW's absolute inconsistency this is just more proof that they cannot fight their way out of a paper bag when it comes to software competency. The ConnectedDrive "cloud" APIs could care less if your on an Android or iOS in regards to triggering the remote start on demand or via a scheduled event. Seriously BMW (if you actually read this forum) it is time to get your proverbial shit together.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 05-26-2020 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-26-2020, 09:38 PM   #13
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It should be to absolutely nobody's surprise that once again BMW is completely inconsistent on the software front regarding this feature. On my primary Android device with the latest app it just allows me to "Climatize Now" yet on my work iPhone X with the latest version of the app it allows me to "Start Engine Now" or "Schedule Remote Engine Start".

To add insult to injury I attempted to take screen shots of both apps to post. However, once again absolute inconsistency with this time the iOS app being the loser. In other words the iOS app will allow me to take a screenshot but the Android app will not. The key being in either case I was going to obfuscate the car's location before posting as that is data you do not want hitting the Internet. So thumbs up to the Android ConnectedDrive developers for blocking that and thumbs down to the iOS developers.

However, back to the point of BMW's absolute inconsistency this is just more proof that they cannot fight their way out of a paper bag when it comes to software competency. The ConnectedDrive "cloud" APIs could care less if your on an Android or iOS in regards to triggering the remote start on demand or via a scheduled event. Seriously BMW (if you actually read this forum) it is time to get your proverbial shit together.
Hahaha. That's hilarious, BMW is terrible.
you know you can use your camera to have the android photo the iPhone and visa versa, right?

I use that to screenshot things that can't be screenshots. Like when I ask my why wife why we got drained for new shoes! (Just kidding)
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 09:39 PM   #14
tg_vegas
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Well I'm back in the shop for my first AC diagnosis on my second M8 in 90 days. We'll see what they find.

Issues :
Cools okay at a stoplight
Cooling stops and becomes warm air with acceleration
Cooling returns with steady throttle or deceleration
Cooling goes away at higher rpms (above 3500)
Cooling returns if I shift to a higher gear to lower rpms
Cooling sometimes stops altogether. Pull over, turn off car, restart, cooling returns.

And to a previous reply, yes, I know where the on/off button is.

Last edited by tg_vegas; 05-26-2020 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: Incomplete post.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 10:00 PM   #15
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Quote:

Well I'm back in the shop for my first AC diagnosis on my second M8 in 90 days. We'll see what they find.

Issues :
Cooling sometimes stops altogether. Pull over, turn off car, restart, cooling returns.

Yeah, that button comment was me—sorry. It differed substantially from my M5s so I figured it was worth a mention.

From what you describe, you have either the worst luck or there's some consistent contributing element yet to be identified.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 10:18 PM   #16
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hahaha. That's hilarious, BMW is terrible.
you know you can use your camera to have the android photo the iPhone and visa versa, right?

I use that to screenshot things that can't be screenshots. Like when I ask my why wife why we got drained for new shoes! (Just kidding)
I started to take a picture of the Android app screen with the iPhone but decided why bother when the entire point is BMW's absolutely incompetence.
Appreciate 2
      05-26-2020, 10:23 PM   #17
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Issues :

Yeah, that button comment was me—sorry. It differed substantially from my M5s so I figured it was worth a mention.

From what you describe, you have either the worst luck or there's some consistent contributing element yet to be identified.

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Issues :

Good luck!
No doubt and a 10X worse experience than the sub par AC in my wife's X5. Given that the OP is in Las Vegas I totally emphasize as just like here in AZ a car's AC is not a luxury but rather an absolute requirement.
Appreciate 2
      05-26-2020, 10:43 PM   #18
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Issues :

What were the issues that caused your first M8 to be bought back?

Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 10:58 PM   #19
tg_vegas
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
What were the issues that caused your first M8 to be bought back?
Inability to solve the AC issue, factory wanted car preserved to get to root of problem in case it was systemic. Car was in the shop the majority of its first 30 days of ownership. BMW was great about it.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 11:42 PM   #20
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Inability to solve the AC issue, factory wanted car preserved to get to root of problem in case it was systemic. Car was in the shop the majority of its first 30 days of ownership. BMW was great about it.
very glad to hear it. I trust the replacement was working well before you took delivery?

Appreciate 1
      05-27-2020, 12:12 AM   #21
tg_vegas
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
very glad to hear it. I trust the replacement was working well before you took delivery?
Hard to say, I took delivery and then we went into COVID lockdown so it took me 6 weeks to get any meaningful miles on the car. Once I did, I noticed the issues. The issue is repeatable and the service department acknowledges there is a problem. I'll update as I learn more.

I have been informed that as the summer heat is coming, this issue is starting to show up in other parts of the country, we'll see how it develops.
Appreciate 2
      05-27-2020, 01:15 AM   #22
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hard to say, I took delivery and then we went into COVID lockdown so it took me 6 weeks to get any meaningful miles on the car. Once I did, I noticed the issues. The issue is repeatable and the service department acknowledges there is a problem. I'll update as I learn more.

I have been informed that as the summer heat is coming, this issue is starting to show up in other parts of the country, we'll see how it develops.
Wow, I would have thought BMW would have insisted the dealership thoroughly test the ac before delivering the replacement to you, or why go through all the trouble? Hope this all gets sorted out and a solution is found. When you test drove yours or others were they working ok?

Appreciate 2
LSM1118.00