M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion First Week Questions

05-20-2020, 04:24 PM   #23
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MCollection View Post
No direct 8 series experience but most Bmw convertibles can lower the roof via holding unlock on the key but it may need to be coded

The HUD sunglasses thing you need to buy non polarised glasses. (I have HUD in x5m and m4) and that's the only way to see it

Apple car play is on the left of the menu screen but I loaded Spotify up then saved it to a shortcut button ie no 1 with a long hold then just push menu to go back to idrive. You could also save another shortcut for your favourite idrive screen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MCollection View Post
The HUD sunglasses thing you need to buy non polarised glasses. (I have HUD in x5m and m4) and that's the only way to see it
Not a solution per se—more a workaround—but tilting your head sideways brings the HUD back into view.
That's a great DIY solution, if you don't want to spend $250 on a new pair of sunglasses!
For me, it's the only solution since I use magnetically attached sun glasses atop my regular glasses... and you soooooo wouldn't want me taking off my regular glasses.

It's moot, though—I live near Seattle so the sun is something as common as an eclipse (see what I did there ).
Lasik eye surgery was the best money I ever spent 20 years ago.

I don't know how expensive it is now, but if you're eligible, I'd encourage everyone to get it done properly.
Appreciate 2
limeypride4418.50
Tenac4504.50
      05-20-2020, 04:49 PM   #24
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Cannot comment on #2 through #4 but for #1 polarized sunglasses are indeed the key. The catch-22 is as per my thread posted about the HUD being washed out in the AZ sun on my M850i, I believe comes down to the windshield angle of the 8-series. I can wear the same pair of Oakley's with Black Iridium Polarized lenses (which are amazing as you can drive straight into the sun will full clarity) in the M850i and the HUD is washed out. However, in my wife's X5 with a steeper windshield the HUD is not washed out whatsoever.

Some have pointed out that using the "rotation" setting in the HUD can help but it didn't do anything for me with the Oakley's. I've just learned to live with it in the M850i and my original post was due to it being hard to see the audio presets (while using the right scroll wheel on the steering) in the HUD. The speed limit and others indicators are more easily visible but the answer to the dilemma on the presets was resolved once I realized I cannot only call out to the BMW Assistant to change SiriusXM stations but to also play albums or specific tracks from my FLAC source. Problem solved.
As a follow up to blooze's statement, I'll note that with the top down and windows down; voice commands don't work too well with street noise or high speed wind noises.

With the windows up, voice commands work a bit better, but not as good as with the top up. It's mainly buttons for us convertible folks.

Also as a P.S. to mine I'll add that even without a short cut, you can get to CarPlay by pushing up on the shifter wheel touchpad, to select CarPlay and then clicking on it. I can use that method when I'm reclining on autopilot looking up at the clouds. You can probably even reach it from the back seats. But the keypad #5 is easier for me to reach in a normal position.

P.P.S. While you can raise and lower the roof with the key, "the Bmw book" recommendations only when the ignition is on and running to save the battery.
I often use the remote start from my display key precondition, then hold the unlock key to open the roof since the motor is running.

However, I'll note that I found this is probably not even necessary, as I've never noticed any difference in battery powered functionality in my 2019. Although it's only been a year. Maybe it could be a problem if it was my daily driver car, or if it went for a couple years.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 10:03 PM   #25
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
As a follow up to blooze's statement, I'll note that with the top down and windows down; voice commands don't work too well with street noise or high speed wind noises.

With the windows up, voice commands work a bit better, but not as good as with the top up. It's mainly buttons for us convertible folks.
Makes perfect sense, i.e. the audio capture for the BMW Assistant is tuned towards the top up and a sealed environment. Just a 1st world problem that all of the 8-series convertible owners out there with that amazing top down driving experience need to deal with.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2020, 10:13 PM   #26
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
1. Yes, I custom ordered Oakley Prisim that are specifically designed for that. they are all the benefits of polarized, but not polar, so you can see the FULL HUD on the m850i convertible with full sun or night. They work amazing well, and I attached my 2 pairs below.

2. You can code a smart button. I think I use 1-3 for XM, 4-6 is for CarPlay functionality, and 7 or 8 is tire pressure and display function.
I think I have 5 for apple maps, 6 for amazon music, and I think 4 is carplay/iPhone.

3. I've never plugged it in, but I use the wireless charger for my iPhone and it still works for CarPlay.
if my phone is fully charged, or I'm going on a short trip, I'll also put the display Key in the wireless charger. it will key charge in the bay.

4. Yes, it's a button on the display key. or you can hold the unlock on a regular key fob.
also, if you get Ben to code it, you can open the door and still raise and lower the roof. Otherwise, the roof will stop when you open or close a door.
Not looking to replace my Oakley's as they are truly polarized and make a huge difference here in the AZ sun but thanks for the reference on the non-polarized for future reference. That said I'm curious as to your #6 setting, i.e., Amazon Music. How does that work? I'm assuming that sets audio input to Amazon Music streaming from you phone. Or is Amazon Music a supported Car Play app and just dials it into that app specifically?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 10:54 PM   #27
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Quote:
1. Yes, I custom ordered Oakley Prisim that are specifically designed for that. they are all the benefits of polarized, but not polar, so you can see the FULL HUD on the m850i convertible with full sun or night. They work amazing well, and I attached my 2 pairs below.

2. You can code a smart button. I think I use 1-3 for XM, 4-6 is for CarPlay functionality, and 7 or 8 is tire pressure and display function.
I think I have 5 for apple maps, 6 for amazon music, and I think 4 is carplay/iPhone.

3. I've never plugged it in, but I use the wireless charger for my iPhone and it still works for CarPlay.
if my phone is fully charged, or I'm going on a short trip, I'll also put the display Key in the wireless charger. it will key charge in the bay.

4. Yes, it's a button on the display key. or you can hold the unlock on a regular key fob.
also, if you get Ben to code it, you can open the door and still raise and lower the roof. Otherwise, the roof will stop when you open or close a door.
Not looking to replace my Oakley's as they are truly polarized and make a huge difference here in the AZ sun but thanks for the reference on the non-polarized for future reference. That said I'm curious as to your #6 setting, i.e., Amazon Music. How does that work? I'm assuming that sets audio input to Amazon Music streaming from you phone. Or is Amazon Music a supported Car Play app and just dials it into that app specifically?
+1

I am unable to shortcut any CarPlay app (possibly a good thing were it not for the native IDrive Audible app disappearing).
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 11:44 PM   #28
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

it's the CarPlay App, and it's limited functionality. I can only play my recent songs or a handful of top stations.

I don't remember if I coded it, if Ben coded it, or if it was stock. but I think I just held the button down and did it myself.

Oakley has Prisim that comes in both polarized and nonpolar, prescription and nonprescription. but it's a type of filter that's almost MANDATORY for convertible owners. (and golfers or bikers)
Obviously you want the non-polar road or field pitch Prisim for convertible. it blocks the sun and gives you all the benefits of polarized without darkening or taking away the HUD.

when the top is up, you often don't even need any sunglasses. however with top down the sun light almost requires Prisim nonpolar glasses and there is NOTHING else like it on the market.

https://www.sportrx.com/blog/oakley-...es%20polarized?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 11:56 PM   #29
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I have no idea which Oakley's you have, but since you're in a coupe and don't need to see the HUD; you might seriously look at the new Prizm Polar ones. even just the Prism is a big upgrade from my Maui Jim Polarized glasses. and light years beyond any basic sunglasses. I imagine the Polarized Prizm would be even better with filtering and color depth.

https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product...t=888392279958
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 10:17 PM   #30
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have no idea which Oakley's you have, but since you're in a coupe and don't need to see the HUD; you might seriously look at the new Prizm Polar ones. even just the Prism is a big upgrade from my Maui Jim Polarized glasses. and light years beyond any basic sunglasses. I imagine the Polarized Prizm would be even better with filtering and color depth.

https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product...t=888392279958

Thanks for the info. I have several pairs of Oakley's but the key being their Black Iridium Polarized lenses in each pair. I've tried numerous variants of their lenses over the years (all far superior to the Maui Jim's of the world) and ended up with Black Iridium Polarized for my needs in the absolutely bright AZ sun. Of course PRIZM is the new game in town for Oakley and more recent than my last purchase. I just checked the PRIZM FAQ and based on it I'd still end up with polarized.
Not all PRIZM lenses are polarized. This is because not every situation will require it and in some instances it may inhibit performance. Oakley PRIZM Polarized lenses are great for glare reduction and recommended for water activities or driving. Glare is created when the vertical wavelength from the sun reflects off a surface such as water or car bumper and combines with a horizontal wavelength. The main drawback to polarized lenses is that they throw off depth perception due to the polarized filter that cuts out the horizontal wavelength found in glare.
Glare is absolutely ridiculous in the AZ sun with the sources from everything from car bumpers on the commute to road signs. That said although in a coupe I rely on the HUD extensively but thankfully the key critical items, i.e., PSL and my current speed are easily visible. It is just the iDrive presets for SiriusXM (activated by the right side thumb wheel on the steering wheel) that are washed out during daytime driving (especially directly into the sun). However, after discovering I can voice command iDrive to play SiriusXM stations as well as albums or tracks off of my SSD in the console I'm golden.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 10:31 PM   #31
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Is there a way to configure the content in the HUD?

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible

Last edited by RJC-1; 05-23-2020 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 11:28 PM   #32
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Can somebody who saved CarPlay to memory button video how they did it? I can get this to work at all. I would be eternally grateful.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 11:48 PM   #33
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
Can somebody who saved CarPlay to memory button video how they did it? I can get this to work at all. I would be eternally grateful.
I don't buy it. I've tried every permutation I can think of.

Happy to be wrong, though, but I'm sure as hell not holding my breath.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 08:45 AM   #34
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I agree!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 10:01 AM   #35
CaliforniaDrew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i, 2023 M3 Comp

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree!!!
Select "Media" first. In the list of all available media, highlight CarPlay but don't select it. Then long push a button. I have mine on 8 as you can see.

Generally you need to be 1 step before where you think you should be to program a quick access...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-24-2020, 10:37 AM   #36
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDrew View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree!!!
Select "Media" first. In the list of all available media, highlight CarPlay but don't select it. Then long push a button. I have mine on 8 as you can see.

Generally you need to be 1 step before where you think you should be to program a quick access...
Yes, that's how I did it too.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #37
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree!!!

You guys nailed it!!! Awesome!!

Thank you!!!
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2020, 10:52 AM   #38
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree!!!

You guys nailed it!!! Awesome!!

Thank you!!!
Glad that's working out for you!

But that's not what we were discussing—well, it's not what I thought we were discussing. The claim was that Amazon Music or some other CarPlay-enabled app could be directly stored in one of the programmable buttons, not merely CarPlay itself.

I see no point in storing CarPlay since the Media button will take you to CarPlay assuming you're using it for Media which is again what we were discussing.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      05-24-2020, 11:50 AM   #39
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Not sure I'm following correctly but believe third party apps (like Spotify) can only be added to iDrive 7 thru the ConnectedDrive Store because support for third party smartphone apps (offered by iDrive 6) has been eliminated.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 12:16 PM   #40
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Not sure I'm following correctly but believe third party apps (like Spotify) can only be added to iDrive 7 thru the ConnectedDrive Store because support for third party smartphone apps (offered by iDrive 6) has been eliminated.
Mostly true. But Spotify is still a native iDrive app (fortunately). Its CarPlay equivalent is atrocious.
Appreciate 1
BMWGirlFL6232.50