M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion First Week Questions

05-19-2020, 10:28 AM   #1
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

First Week Questions

Hi All...

Absolutely LOVING the car so far. Unfortunately I won't be driving for a few days because I'm having knee surgery today. Can't wait to get the top down again.

Couple of questions:

1. Any tricks for making the HUD visible while wearing sunglasses?
2. What is the easiest way of switching between Idrive and CarPlay? I Can't believe there is not a hard button for this. Ben is coding next week, would love to see if Ben could make a shortcut with a button press.
3. I know that CarPlay is wireless. It does seem to burn a lot of battery. If I plug it in, does it no longer use wireless? Would I use the USB near the cup holder or the USBc in the console?
4. Can the roof be raised or lowered with the key?

Thanks guys!!!
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2020, 10:37 AM   #2
///MCollection
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C X5M M4

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
No direct 8 series experience but most Bmw convertibles can lower the roof via holding unlock on the key but it may need to be coded

The HUD sunglasses thing you need to buy non polarised glasses. (I have HUD in x5m and m4) and that's the only way to see it

Apple car play is on the left of the menu screen but I loaded Spotify up then saved it to a shortcut button ie no 1 with a long hold then just push menu to go back to idrive. You could also save another shortcut for your favourite idrive screen
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 10:44 AM   #3
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCollection View Post
No direct 8 series experience but most Bmw convertibles can lower the roof via holding unlock on the key but it may need to be coded

The HUD sunglasses thing you need to buy non polarised glasses. (I have HUD in x5m and m4) and that's the only way to see it

Apple car play is on the left of the menu screen but I loaded Spotify up then saved it to a shortcut button ie no 1 with a long hold then just push menu to go back to idrive. You could also save another shortcut for your favourite idrive screen
Thx!!!

So you were able that shortcut CarPlay or the Spotify app within Idrive?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 11:44 AM   #4
///MCollection
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Yes I have one set for Spotify in CarPlay and another for phone in CarPlay then other stuff on the last 6 buttons
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 02:10 PM   #5
tracythorne
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 850 GC

The difference between polarized and non-polarized is night and day.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2020, 02:39 PM   #6
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes I have one set for Spotify in CarPlay and another for phone in CarPlay then other stuff on the last 6 buttons
So I can program Button 1 to take me
Right into CarPlay?
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2020, 04:39 PM   #7
///MCollection
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
You will have to pick something in CarPlay ie music,Waze phone etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 04:48 PM   #8
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
You will have to pick something in CarPlay ie music,Waze phone etc.
I don't understand how you've done this. I can't program buttons 1-8 against any CarPlay app (or even deeply nested Idrive functions in some cases)—how did you do it?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 04:54 PM   #9
///MCollection
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Don't go into the feature fully, save the shortcut at the time you would select it.

So go into car play and select phone but don't press down to go into phone, you need the action before the result if you like. Then save the shortcut with a long press of button 1 for example.

it's been a while since I set mine so going from memory. it's difficult to know what someone knows so sorry if I'm telling you old stuff
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      05-19-2020, 06:24 PM   #10
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracythorne View Post
The difference between polarized and non-polarized is night and day.
Agreed, luv them on and off the water.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 06:59 PM   #11
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MCollection View Post
Don't go into the feature fully, save the shortcut at the time you would select it.

So go into car play and select phone but don't press down to go into phone, you need the action before the result if you like. Then save the shortcut with a long press of button 1 for example.

it's been a while since I set mine so going from memory. it's difficult to know what someone knows so sorry if I'm telling you old stuff
I tried both ways before replying, neither worked. I tried it with Audible, too--same response.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 08:48 PM   #12
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Yes, you can lower or raise the roof by pointing the fob toward the car and maintaining pressure on the lock or unlock button. I’m pretty sure you can achieve the same effect by maintaining pressure on the three-line thingie on the door handle.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2020, 09:28 PM   #13
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Cannot comment on #2 through #4 but for #1 polarized sunglasses are indeed the key. The catch-22 is as per my thread posted about the HUD being washed out in the AZ sun on my M850i, I believe comes down to the windshield angle of the 8-series. I can wear the same pair of Oakley's with Black Iridium Polarized lenses (which are amazing as you can drive straight into the sun will full clarity) in the M850i and the HUD is washed out. However, in my wife's X5 with a steeper windshield the HUD is not washed out whatsoever.

Some have pointed out that using the "rotation" setting in the HUD can help but it didn't do anything for me with the Oakley's. I've just learned to live with it in the M850i and my original post was due to it being hard to see the audio presets (while using the right scroll wheel on the steering) in the HUD. The speed limit and others indicators are more easily visible but the answer to the dilemma on the presets was resolved once I realized I cannot only call out to the BMW Assistant to change SiriusXM stations but to also play albums or specific tracks from my FLAC source. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #14
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
Hi All...

Absolutely LOVING the car so far. Unfortunately I won't be driving for a few days because I'm having knee surgery today. Can't wait to get the top down again.

Couple of questions:

2. What is the easiest way of switching between Idrive and CarPlay? I Can't believe there is not a hard button for this. Ben is coding next week, would love to see if Ben could make a shortcut with a button press.
3. I know that CarPlay is wireless. It does seem to burn a lot of battery. If I plug it in, does it no longer use wireless? Would I use the USB near the cup holder or the USBc in the console?

Thanks guys!!!
1. Yes, I custom ordered Oakley Prisim that are specifically designed for that. they are all the benefits of polarized, but not polar, so you can see the FULL HUD on the m850i convertible with full sun or night. They work amazing well, and I attached my 2 pairs below.

2. You can code a smart button. I think I use 1-3 for XM, 4-6 is for CarPlay functionality, and 7 or 8 is tire pressure and display function.
I think I have 5 for apple maps, 6 for amazon music, and I think 4 is carplay/iPhone.

3. I've never plugged it in, but I use the wireless charger for my iPhone and it still works for CarPlay.
if my phone is fully charged, or I'm going on a short trip, I'll also put the display Key in the wireless charger. it will key charge in the bay.

4. Yes, it's a button on the display key. or you can hold the unlock on a regular key fob.
also, if you get Ben to code it, you can open the door and still raise and lower the roof. Otherwise, the roof will stop when you open or close a door.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 01:43 PM   #15
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:
Hi All...

Couple of questions:

Thanks guys!!!
1. Yes, I custom ordered Oakley Prisim that are specifically designed for that. they are all the benefits of polarized, but not polar, so you can see the FULL HUD on the m850i convertible with full sun or night. They work amazing well, and I attached my 2 pairs below.

2. You can code a smart button. I think I use 1-3 for XM, 4-6 is for CarPlay functionality, and 7 or 8 is tire pressure and display function.
I think I have 5 for apple maps, 6 for amazon music, and I think 4 is carplay/iPhone.

3. I've never plugged it in, but I use the wireless charger for my iPhone and it still works for CarPlay.
if my phone is fully charged, or I'm going on a short trip, I'll also put the display Key in the wireless charger. it will key charge in the bay.

4. Yes, it's a button on the display key. or you can hold the unlock on a regular key fob.
also, if you get Ben to code it, you can open the door and still raise and lower the roof. Otherwise, the roof will stop when you open or close a door.
Very much appreciated on all the feedback!!!

Is there a way to use wired CarPlay?!?! Kind of confused on that one.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2020, 03:57 PM   #16
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi All...

Couple of questions:

Thanks guys!!!

Why do you need to? If it's plugged in and charging, then the transmission media makes no difference... right?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 03:59 PM   #17
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Not a solution per se—more a workaround—but tilting your head sideways brings the HUD back into view.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2020, 04:06 PM   #18
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Not a solution per se—more a workaround—but tilting your head sideways brings the HUD back into view.
That's a great DIY solution, if you don't want to spend $250 on a new pair of sunglasses!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 04:08 PM   #19
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi All...

Couple of questions:

Thanks guys!!!

Why do you need to? If it's plugged in and charging, then the transmission media makes no difference... right?
I don't think you can use it wired, but I don't know. Never bothered to try it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 04:10 PM   #20
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
That's a great DIY solution, if you don't want to spend $250 on a new pair of sunglasses!
For me, it's the only solution since I use magnetically attached sun glasses atop my regular glasses... and you soooooo wouldn't want me taking off my regular glasses.

It's moot, though—I live near Seattle so the sun is something as common as an eclipse (see what I did there ).
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2020, 04:12 PM   #21
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
For me, it's the only solution since I use magnetically attached sun glasses atop my regular glasses... and you soooooo wouldn't want me taking off my regular glasses.

It's moot, though—I live near Seattle so the sun is something as common as an eclipse (see what I did there ).
hahaaa, true and too funny.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 04:14 PM   #22
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I have carplay on 5, sport displays on 6, tyres pressure on 8 (track), 7 is for text messages while driving moving full message. 1 is for route preview, and the 2-4 is XM radio stations.

see attach, you just hold and press the button to reprogram as needed.

sport displays on 6 and car play on 5 are my most and biggest used ones.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0