M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Can I add the Drivers Assistance Package after I take delivery?

03-16-2020, 10:31 PM   #1
tg_vegas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW B8 Alpina

Can I add the Drivers Assistance Package after I take delivery?

I bought an M8 with the Driving Assistance Package and the Drivers Assistance Pro Package. $1100 + $1700. Loved it.

Car was a lemon for other reasons, BMW took it back after 20 days.

I replaced it with another M8 but didn't notice that the replacement had Driving Assistance Package 2 and the Driving Assistance Pro Package. $500+$1700. Totally my fault.

I really miss the features that DAP has vs DAP2. No 3D views, no Park Assistant, no Drive Recorder, etc.

QUESTION, AND REASON FOR THIS POST : Can I get this added so that my new M8 has the missing option ?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 11:44 PM   #2
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_vegas View Post
I bought an M8 with the Driving Assistance Package and the Drivers Assistance Pro Package. $1100 + $1700. Loved it.

I replaced it with another M8 but didn't notice that the replacement had Driving Assistance Package 2 and the Driving Assistance Pro Package. $500+$1700. Totally my fault.

I really miss the features that DAP has vs DAP2. No 3D views, no Park Assistant, no Drive Recorder, etc.

QUESTION, AND REASON FOR THIS POST : Can I get this added so that my new M8 has the missing option ?
@bloozemanAZ

I think he said you can't.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 09:30 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
@bloozemanAZ

I think he said you can't.
tg_vegas totally feel the pain as when I discovered the POS (that is not point of sale) DAP2 on my 1st ordered M850i did not come with 3D View but was the only package available on BMW's online configurator (aka build your own) last August I was pissed and tried to get the order updated but the Individual lock date had passed. My dealer ran everything up the chain through BMW NA which was a long battle and ultimately ended up in an expedited build slot for a 2nd order. I kept on BMW NA and they finally removed DAP2 from the website in January. Frankly a little too late for everyone caught up in the faux pas.

Thus, your replacement M8 was caught in the mix of that build period as it was built off the configurator vs the spec cars which all came with DAP (BMW new better). The catch-22 being with DAP2 the cars are missing the cameras in the rearview mirrors that create the 3D View so there is no way to just add the software now. Same goes for Drive Recorder. For Parking Assistant technically it should be viable to software update to include the feature as the core PDC is part of DAP2.

Bimmer Tech has a retrofit package for Parking Assistant (https://www.bimmer-tech.net/products...stant-retrofit) but unfortunately their website states it doesn't support the 8-series. My bet is they just haven't updated it as the core components are all included in DAP2. You might want to reach out to them to get clarity.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 02:46 PM   #4
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Does this mean the Drive Recorder can be coded into cars that don't have it?

M
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 05:07 PM   #5
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
Does this mean the Drive Recorder can be coded into cars that don't have it?

M
I'm assuming you mean a 2019 model with the full DAP which includes 3D View, i.e., all the cameras. Given it is purely software with the app loaded/subscribed to via ConnectedDrive in theory it should be doable. The catch-22 is that BMW is not offering that whatsoever for the 2019 M850i's. The only thing I can think of why they do not is that one of the features (which you need to enable as it is not a default setting) includes automatically recording 15 seconds prior and post of any impact to the vehicle. I'm guessing that this may use some additional sensors in the car not included on the 2019s.

That said the simple answer is that feature is just not available on a Drive Recorder enabled 2019. Unfortunately, BMW is behind the times on software enabling of features vs Tesla. If we were talking Tesla it would likely be an option to enable minus the impact recording option. Hopefully BMW starts getting on board with the modern times in which "software is eating the world" (those in IT will get the reference).
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 06:01 PM   #6
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I'm assuming you mean a 2019 model with the full DAP which includes 3D View, i.e., all the cameras. Given it is purely software with the app loaded/subscribed to via ConnectedDrive in theory it should be doable. The catch-22 is that BMW is not offering that whatsoever for the 2019 M850i's. The only thing I can think of why they do not is that one of the features (which you need to enable as it is not a default setting) includes automatically recording 15 seconds prior and post of any impact to the vehicle. I'm guessing that this may use some additional sensors in the car not included on the 2019s.

That said the simple answer is that feature is just not available on a Drive Recorder enabled 2019. Unfortunately, BMW is behind the times on software enabling of features vs Tesla. If we were talking Tesla it would likely be an option to enable minus the impact recording option. Hopefully BMW starts getting on board with the modern times in which "software is eating the world" (those in IT will get the reference).
So my 850i has the DAP, as well as the full camera setup.

While the car was registered in November 2018, I'm not sure if that still makes it a 2019 Model Year car, but hopefully the guy with the coding stuff for my car can check that out and let me know.

If I'm honest, I don't think I've ever seen a UK car with the Driving Recording code installed, but then I'd also love remote start from the Display Key - something else we don't usually get in the UK.

M
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 08:21 PM   #7
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

While the car was registered in November 2018, I'm not sure if that still makes it a 2019 Model Year car, but hopefully the guy with the coding stuff for my car can check that out and let me know.

If I'm honest, I don't think I've ever seen a UK car with the Driving Recording code installed, but then I'd also love remote start from the Display Key - something else we don't usually get in the UK.

M
The display key does remote start. Go to the precondition and select manual start.

I do it all the time on my display key. Works up to 2 miles away through buildings. It's the best feature of the display key.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 09:41 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

M
Yes, you have a 2019 as they hit in late 2018. As per Resjudicata, the car definitely has remote start capabilities from the Display Key (or the ConnectedDrive application). Thus, your coder should be able to enable it no differently than here in the US we can code to enable the headlight "anti dazzle" feature which is standard in Europe but disabled by default here in the US.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 09:46 PM   #9
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

yes, here is the pictures. step 1,2 and 3.

ignore the keyring of my UVA University.
Attached Images

Last edited by Resjudicata; 03-18-2020 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 09:46 PM   #10
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

here is a video:

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 02:18 AM   #11
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The display key does remote start. Go to the precondition and select manual start.

I do it all the time on my display key. Works up to 2 miles away through buildings. It's the best feature of the display key.
Mine does have the preconditioning setting, but I don't believe Remote Start (for the engine) has ever been enabled in the UK.

However, it's desperately cool, and when I had a Cadillac CTS-V, it always amused people.

Time to call my coding person and see if he can help!

M
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 02:19 AM   #12
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you have a 2019 as they hit in late 2018. As per Resjudicata, the car definitely has remote start capabilities from the Display Key (or the ConnectedDrive application). Thus, your coder should be able to enable it no differently than here in the US we can code to enable the headlight "anti dazzle" feature which is standard in Europe but disabled by default here in the US.
Awesome!

Much appreciated!

Time to try and get this set up!

M
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 03:16 AM   #13
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_vegas View Post

There are aftermarket shops that are able to retrofit these features. I do know of a few that is available in my country. I am sure that there are some shops in your country that are able to retrofit. Requires installing or retrofiting of certain modules and coding to enable the features.
      03-19-2020, 01:28 PM   #14
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Mine does have the preconditioning setting, but I don't believe Remote Start (for the engine) has ever been enabled in the UK.

However, it's desperately cool, and when I had a Cadillac CTS-V, it always amused people.

Time to call my coding person and see if he can help!

M
if you have preconditioning, then you should have remote start??
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 01:36 PM   #15
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
In the U.S., one can initiate pre-conditioning from the ConnectedDrive phone app and, if remote engine start hasn't been enabled, it will gently blow around uncooled or unheated air, just to get some circulation underway.

(I relearned that today as I was testing my post-software-updated car and was briefly puzzled by the lack of a/c pre-conditioning. All I had was quietly circulated ambient air. Turns out that the update blew out my remote-engine-start setting. Once I reset that, everything was...cool.)
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2020, 03:21 AM   #16
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Quote:
In the U.S., one can initiate pre-conditioning from the ConnectedDrive phone app and, if remote engine start hasn't been enabled, it will gently blow around uncooled or unheated air, just to get some circulation underway.

(I relearned that today as I was testing my post-software-updated car and was briefly puzzled by the lack of a/c pre-conditioning. All I had was quietly circulated ambient air. Turns out that the update blew out my remote-engine-start setting. Once I reset that, everything was...cool.)
I've always used the display key, I didn't know you could do that on a phone app??

where do I download it?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 12:42 PM   #17
msm2000uk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You'd think, but it doesn't show up on my screen.

I took the car to my coding chap yesterday, but he still couldn't add it.

I'm going to see if BMW can update the software to March 2020, and then try again.

M
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 01:00 PM   #18
jseif
Rep
Drives: 535i

Does anyone know if all 8 series cars come with a display key? I ordered an 840 GC.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 01:11 PM   #19
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseif View Post
Does anyone know if all 8 series cars come with a display key? I ordered an 840 GC.
only 2019.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 03:17 PM   #20
jseif
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
only 2019.
That's unfortunate, so on 2020s it doesn't come? I wonder why they did that, and if there's a way to buy it?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #21
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseif View Post
Quote:
only 2019.
That's unfortunate, so on 2020s it doesn't come? I wonder why they did that, and if there's a way to buy it?
my sales CA said it was cost cutting. people didn't use them and they required charging (although you can wireless charge in the car wireless pad, which is what I do when I drive it).
also people are using the cell phone app instead of the key.

Yes, you can add it to any pre-2019 bmw. I don't know about the 2020, but I'm sure that you probably can add it. I'd imagine it would probably cost about $1000 to add to a 2020 for the key, hardware and labor installed.

for $100, I'd definitely get it. for over $500, I'd probably think twice. it's a neat toy, but other than showing off to friends; it's similar to the phone app + a regular key fob.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 07:55 PM   #22
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I've always used the display key, I didn't know you could do that on a phone app??

where do I download it?
Install the ConnectedDrive app from either Google Play or the Apple App store.
Appreciate 1