M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Cerium Eradication Complete

04-04-2020, 11:40 PM   #45
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
interesting, it was not an option for the Convertible. I wonder why not .....
My guess is BMW figured nobody would want to track a 2019 M850i convertible as that is truly what the package is designed for vs getting Shadowline trim. Just checked and still not offered on the 2020 M850i convertibles as well. So the logic in Germany must be that if you want to track a convertible it's time to step up to a M8 or M8C convertible.
they are probably right!!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 04:44 AM   #46
Stav435d
Rep
Drives: 840i msport Gran Coupe

Is there a how to anywhere on swapping out the grille and exhaust? Thought I saw one but can’t find it for the life of me . First thing i’ll be doing to my GC is dechroming
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 11:30 AM   #47
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav435d View Post
Is there a how to anywhere on swapping out the grille and exhaust? Thought I saw one but can’t find it for the life of me . First thing i’ll be doing to my GC is dechroming
Regarding the front grille, you might read some advice here though not a full DIY guide it's still useful with a few aspects mentioned regarding its replacement (especially post nr. 3):

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1786582
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 11:57 AM   #48
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
What's wrong with the factory grille that causes so many to want to replace it?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 01:55 PM   #49
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Is there a how to anywhere on swapping out the grille and exhaust? Thought I saw one but can't find it for the life of me . First thing i'll be doing to my GC is dechroming
What's wrong with the factory grille that causes so many to want to replace it?
Mine is black, but so many have the shinny chrome that's not cool. If mine was blinding 1990s blingy chrome; I'd get the carbon fiber one. Or the black one.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      02-07-2021, 02:09 PM   #50
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

For me personally it came down to the best fit (color wise / match) with the sunset orange exterior. In fact the very first major retrofit I performed was the complete S7M9A Individual option high-gloss Shadow-Line. Thus it was 100% good bye cerium.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2021, 08:03 PM   #51
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
For me personally it came down to the best fit (color wise / match) with the sunset orange exterior. In fact the very first major retrofit I performed was the complete S7M9A Individual option high-gloss Shadow-Line. Thus it was 100% good bye cerium.
Totally agree. That said when the car first landed and as some work friends drooled over it in the parking lot I stated that I was replacing the cerium with black (aka Shadowline). To that they stated "why?" as in their minds it looked great as-is. Hence, there are differing opinions in the world of cerium, chrome and Shadowline but at the end of the day being the owner only mine matters.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 08:37 PM   #52
Stav435d
Rep

Thanks all. I guess it’s just personal taste. I’m not a fan of the chrome but couldn’t spec a black grill on its own without adding a pack that I didn’t want enough to shell out for it. Had a black grill on a black sapphire e89 z4 which I loved the look of, so trying to get that again on my carbon black GC.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 02:49 AM   #53
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m850

Quote:
Quote:
Totally agree. That said when the car first landed and as some work friends drooled over it in the parking lot I stated that I was replacing the cerium with black (aka Shadowline). To that they stated "why?" as in their minds it looked great as-is. Hence, there are differing opinions in the world of cerium, chrome and Shadowline but at the end of the day being the owner only mine matters.
Quote:
Quote:
My likes and dislikes change overtime. My last car a Mercedes s560 vert I blacked everything out. My M850 has the chrome grill and bits and I have no desire to change any of it.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 07:05 PM   #54
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks all. I guess it’s just personal taste. I’m not a fan of the chrome but couldn’t spec a black grill on its own without adding a pack that I didn’t want enough to shell out for it. Had a black grill on a black sapphire e89 z4 which I loved the look of, so trying to get that again on my carbon black GC.
I just checked the BMW UK configurator and the "BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line with extended contents" on a GC is 450 Euros and includes the front grill. Is that the package you're referring to? If so that doesn't sound like a ridiculous price grab on BMW's part to configure full Shadowline on a UK GC.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 03:44 AM   #55
Stav435d
Rep

Quote:
I just checked the BMW UK configurator and the "BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line with extended contents" on a GC is 450 Euros and includes the front grill. Is that the package you're referring to? If so that doesn't sound like a ridiculous price grab on BMW's part to configure full Shadowline on a UK GC.
I would have paid that if it was an option. Maybe I’m wrong but you could only select it as part of the m sport pro pack for £1900. All that package seems to add is the extended shadow line parts and m seatbelts. I don’t particularly want the seatbelts so nearly £2k didn’t seem worth it for a black grille. It was the same with the heated steering wheel, on other models it’s a £170 option but on the 8 you can only have it with the comfort plus pack at £3k.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 06:43 AM   #56
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

It depends on the model as per BMW the Individual high-gloss Shadow Line with extended contents is available as a single option on M850i xDrive models but on other models it is part of the M Sport Pro and Ultimate packs thus making the route to having the black grille way more expensive than buying it individually as a retrofit for example, should one not want to include one of those more expensive packages.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 07:09 AM   #57
Stav435d
Rep

Sadly my budget only stretched to an 840i! Msport pro pack is a weird one. Pack is nearly 2k but the two items it adds only add up to about £700 if you were able to spec them individually
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 08:40 AM   #58
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Sadly my budget only stretched to an 840i! Msport pro pack is a weird one. Pack is nearly 2k but the two items it adds only add up to about £700 if you were able to spec them individually
The 840i is an amazing looking car as are all those in THE8 lineup. Said that, you can purchase the front grille from Germany individually (either from official BMW dealers or through other sellers on the Bay) probably at quite a lower price than in the UK. My M850i had the cerium standard exterior elements so my number one MOD priority was retrofitting the complete S7M9A Individual option high-gloss Shadow-Line package. I had to get all the parts separately but got them exactly as they form part of the mentioned package. Amongst those, I paid 190 Euro for the grille alone which I'd say it's quite cheap and a good solution for those who do not necessarily want the complete package but prefer to leave it at the black kidney front grille.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 09:14 AM   #59
Stav435d
Rep

Quote:
The 840i is an amazing looking car as are all those in THE8 lineup. Said that, you can purchase the front grille from Germany individually (either from official BMW dealers or through other sellers on the Bay) probably at quite a lower price than in the UK. My M850i had the cerium standard exterior elements so my number one MOD priority was retrofitting the complete S7M9A Individual option high-gloss Shadow-Line package. I had to get all the parts separately but got them exactly as they form part of the mentioned package. Amongst those, I paid 190 Euro for the grille alone which I'd say it's quite cheap and a good solution for those who do not necessarily want the complete package but prefer to leave it at the black kidney front grille.
That is a decent price. Those I’ve seen on the bay are about £250. I don’t even get the car until next month lol currently on a container ship I’m told, will arrive at dealer next week.

I’m looking into having all the chrome bits wrapped too but I don’t know how durable/ ‘authentic’ it would be
Appreciate 0