M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Holden Crash

06-07-2015, 07:26 PM   #1
mrcheezle19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C 6MT

Holden Crash

This is a comment from the owner of the car on youtube.. maybe his tire pressure was off too. lolol

To all the haters that think they know what they're talking about & make assumptions...

This was my ute.

One of the cars a few cars before me hit a hay bail & dragged hay across the road surface. Which with any other event I've done, the event is paused by the marshell's (which I never seen any with flags etc), assessed, cleaned up & the action resumed. This wasn't done, I wasn't aware of the hay & the surface became like ice once the back flicked to the left, then the back hooked, bit in & whipped around before gathering control..

In all the years I've been doing motorsports with the ute, it has never whipped or dug in like this & I wondered what had happened when I got out, trying to figure it out. Then someone mentioned the hay across the road & it made sense.

Not laying blame to anyone be any means....
Its one of those unfortunate things that happens with any kind of Motorsports. Its a risk we accept when we sign the forms to enter any kind of motorsports event.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 07:30 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Ouch, looked like you had it for a second there.
      06-08-2015, 12:18 PM   #3
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Well, to me it looks like he was showing off and took it a little too far. Live and learn.

BTW, I wished GM hadn't killed Pontiac (should have been Buick) and brought the Ute over like they talked about.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 10:41 PM   #4
RJ's325ITS
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 Turbo, E36 GTS2 Racecar

I wish there was in car footage of this, but I can see from the outside what went wrong here.... Here is play by play:

* with some steering input to the left he gets on the gas
* as he power slides to the right he does a steering correction to the right, good.
* while staying on the gas the slide/skid ends and the car starts to realigned,
* while still on the gas the rear slides/skids to the left, and
* At this point he is smoking the rear tires power sliding left
* again the car starts to realigned but this time is a faster transition (left to right) and his steering inputs are too slow/late, perhaps his eyes were in the wrong place, and he did not realized that he needed to let go the gas and anticipate the skid going right; he pretty much drifted himself to the wall.

Lame mistake, if he "suddenly" lost traction in the rear tires, then do CPR (correct, pause, recover) simple.

if he was showing off, he could've just backed away from the gas slowly to kill the skid/slide and go straight. he had 3 chances...

I can also tell he's familiar with power sliding and it just went wrong this time.
Appreciate 0