M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Valentine V1 upgrade

06-05-2015, 08:34 PM   #1
rabman5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Valentine V1 upgrade

So after 11 years, I decided it was time to upgrade my V1. I shipped it via UPS in Monday and received what appears to be a brand new unit with all new cords and accessories just 4 days later.

Here's the question... They say they upgrade your old unit including assigning a new serial number. Do they really or do they just ship you a brand new unit? I assume it's the latter
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 01:36 PM   #2
KCLARK
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E^)M% & 2013 JCW

Just curious did you have to pay anything for this so called upgrade, I have a V1 myself and have never sent it off to be upgraded and am interested in doing so because mine false alarms so much (something not right), thing detects TOO MUCH and constantly goes off for the slightest thing. I was behind an Infinity and evertime they hit their brakes, my V1 sounded off
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 01:41 PM   #3
vastano
Captain
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabman5 View Post
So after 11 years, I decided it was time to upgrade my V1. I shipped it via UPS in Monday and received what appears to be a brand new unit with all new cords and accessories just 4 days later.

Here's the question... They say they upgrade your old unit including assigning a new serial number. Do they really or do they just ship you a brand new unit? I assume it's the latter
It says on the site as soon as they receive your old one they send you a brand new one. I just decided to go through the same thing for my 7-8 year old V1. Instead of paying the lucrative amount of $289 to upgrade, I sold it locally for $250 and used that money to pay for a new one. So instead of $289, it cost me $150 to upgrade.

I'm sure the upgrade fees vary, but $289 is quite the ripoff considering I have a working unit already...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 01:56 PM   #4
Onewheeldrive
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 MG M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCLARK View Post
Just curious did you have to pay anything for this so called upgrade, I have a V1 myself and have never sent it off to be upgraded and am interested in doing so because mine false alarms so much (something not right), thing detects TOO MUCH and constantly goes off for the slightest thing. I was behind an Infinity and evertime they hit their brakes, my V1 sounded off
Watch this video on how to turn off "POP" detection. Audis, Mercs, and Infinities use kband radar for blind spot monitoring and adaptive cruise control that shows up to the V1 as "POP". Only one manufacturer of radar detectors ever used this type of radar so there's no reason to leave it on. Takes 1 minute and removed 90% of my false alarms.

'13 F10 M5 - Dinan S2 Tune - Dinan Intake - Dinan Coilovers - Evolution RW Downpipes - Custom Exhaust Cutouts
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 02:06 PM   #5
KCLARK
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E^)M% & 2013 JCW

[QUOTE=Onewheeldrive;18059009]Watch this video on how to turn off "POP" detection. Audis, Mercs, and Infinities use kband radar for blind spot monitoring and adaptive cruise control that shows up to the V1 as "POP". Only one manufacturer of radar detectors ever used this type of radar so there's no reason to leave it on. Takes 1 minute and removed 90% of my false alarms.

HOT DAMN! your a saint for this info and just saved me the hassle of sending my unit back, way to go! THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 11:03 AM   #6
ChipB
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 'vert, 2014 X5

For future reference, instructions on how to disable POP are here - note item J: http://www.valentine1.com/Lab/techreport3.asp

Anyone who has tried to use a V1 detector in a late-model Audi equipped with side assist has had to deal with this issue.