M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Downpipes ? What's available and what benefit for 20 M8 Comp

05-23-2020, 11:26 PM   #1
tg_vegas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW B8 Alpina

Downpipes ? What's available and what benefit for 20 M8 Comp

I've been reading a bit about a downpipe upgrade but don't know a lot about the details

What section of the pipes are replaced? Post turbo, pre wastegate?

Who makes the best ones?

Tuning required?

Warranty concerns?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 09:02 AM   #2
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

The Downpipe’s for the f90 m5 fit the m8. There are two sections, primary and secondary. So total 4 cats in the system. Price usually comes down to fitment as they are truly metal pipes. Removal of the primary will trigger a CEL can be removed with a tune. Removing secondary will not. Dealer can flag car at any moment so warranty is always at risk. A relationship with your service advisor is important when modifying your car

I am running project gamma secondaries and it’s the right amount of additional volume. Maybe I pick up some HP. Never dyno the car. Smell is about the same as stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_vegas View Post
I've been reading a bit about a downpipe upgrade but don't know a lot about the details

What section of the pipes are replaced? Post turbo, pre wastegate?

Who makes the best ones?

Tuning required?

Warranty concerns?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 12:08 PM   #3
Frank_Downstar
Downstarinc.com | @Downstar | @DowntimeWithDowntar
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 GC COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
The Downpipe’s for the f90 m5 fit the m8. There are two sections, primary and secondary. So total 4 cats in the system. Price usually comes down to fitment as they are truly metal pipes. Removal of the primary will trigger a CEL can be removed with a tune. Removing secondary will not. Dealer can flag car at any moment so warranty is always at risk. A relationship with your service advisor is important when modifying your car

I am running project gamma secondaries and it’s the right amount of additional volume. Maybe I pick up some HP. Never dyno the car. Smell is about the same as stock
Great info, thanks!
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00