M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Recalls and Software Update for leftover 2019

03-23-2020, 11:03 AM   #1
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Recalls and Software Update for leftover 2019

Hi All...

This board has been a nice relief and distraction from the crumbling world around us.

Question: I'm buying a leftover 2019 850 Convertible. I read about a backup camera recall and i'm quite sure the software version will be quite dated by this point.

Which software version should I request to be updated to?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

My 2019 850 convertible was updated last week to 03/2020.30. I believe that was the most recent update. By all means, insist on the most recent before you take possession of your car and you begin working on the settings - because the update I just referenced will override many of those settings and force you to do it all over again.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2020, 02:42 PM   #3
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
By all means, insist on the most recent before you take possession of your car and you begin working on the settings - because the update I just referenced will override many of those settings and force you to do it all over again.
Exactly!!! From reading the board it became apparent that I wanted an update before I even tweaked one thing!!!

Thank you!!
Appreciate 2
      03-24-2020, 07:07 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
My 2019 850 convertible was updated last week to 03/2020.30. I believe that was the most recent update. By all means, insist on the most recent before you take possession of your car and you begin working on the settings - because the update I just referenced will override many of those settings and force you to do it all over again.
Holy crap as had read of a looming 03/2020 release. Not to flog a dead horse (several threads on it) but I'm not looking forward to that absolute shit show of an upgrade from my 11/2019.55 in the way of losing my profile settings, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 10:08 PM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
Holy crap as had read of a looming 03/2020 release. Not to flog a dead horse (several threads on it) but I'm not looking forward to that absolute shit show of an upgrade from my 11/2019.55 in the way of losing my profile settings, etc.
gives you another chance to play with bimmercode settings again too.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 07:54 AM   #6
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Right. Some settings will disappear, some will remain. But I can guarantee you that all coding (other than anti-dazzle) will need to be redone.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2020, 10:03 AM   #7
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Right. Some settings will disappear, some will remain. But I can guarantee you that all coding (other than anti-dazzle) will need to be redone.
Quote:
Quote:
interesting that the anti dazzle remains. I had just used bimmercode and didn't have anti dazzle until now.
I lost all my settings and all bimmercode features. but after an hour at home, I put most of it all back.

I'm just hoping that when I go for an oil change in July, I won't get any updates.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 02:20 PM   #8
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Not my field of expertise, but what I think coder r33_RGSport told me is that the anti-dazzle is in a module and/or at a depth that generally is left untouched by even extensive BMW software updates.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2020, 03:15 PM   #9
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not my field of expertise, but what I think coder r33_RGSport told me is that the anti-dazzle is in a module and/or at a depth that generally is left untouched by even extensive BMW software updates.
Quote:
that's awesome. yeah he just added the things bimmer code was missing (antidazzle, door trunk, remote trunk, etc.

@r33_RGSport didn't get the the 5 click turn from bimmercode, but I'm afraid to re add it and wipe out his stuff.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 07:17 PM   #10
NOMRW8NG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

My experience was that the software update DOES overwrite the anti-dazzle coding. I had to have r33_RGSport re-enable that.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 09:28 PM   #11
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMRW8NG View Post
My experience was that the software update DOES overwrite the anti-dazzle coding. I had to have r33_RGSport re-enable that.
Well, there you go. Same procedure, two different outcomes. Hard to fathom.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2020, 01:12 PM   #12
BMWCARGUYM5X5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5, 2019 850i C

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMRW8NG View Post
Well, there you go. Same procedure, two different outcomes. Hard to fathom.
What does the anti-dazzle function do? I thought all new 850i's had that feature installed already.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 02:00 PM   #13
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCARGUYM5X5 View Post
What does the anti-dazzle function do? I thought all new 850i's had that feature installed already.
All M850s in the U.S. come standard with auto-brights.

In most other countries, those auto-brights are raised to a new, higher level.

They are programmed to remain on, even with oncoming traffic or when another vehicle is close in front of you. But they automatically shift their focus so as not to affect those other drivers.

That's the anti-dazzle feature that, for some reason, the U.S. DOT requires BWM to decode before those cars reach our shores. A good coder like r33_RGSport knows how to reinstate the feature.

And it's worth doing - it's a remarkable thing to experience.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2020, 02:01 PM   #14
BMWCARGUYM5X5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5, 2019 850i C

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
All M850s in the U.S. come standard with auto-brights.

In most other countries, those auto-brights are raised to a new, higher level.

They are programmed to remain on, even with oncoming traffic or when another vehicle is close in front of you. But they automatically shift their focus (anti-dazzle) so as not to affect those other drivers.

That's the anti-dazzle feature that, for some reason, the U.S. DOT requires BWM to decode before those cars reach our shores. A good coder like r33_RGSport knows how to reinstate the feature.

And it's worth doing - it's a remarkable thing to experience.
Thank you for the info. Do you know approximately how much it costs for them to program this feature?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 08:55 AM   #15
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the info. Do you know approximately how much it costs for them to program this feature?
It is by no means prohibitively expensive and the coder can make many other adjustments to personalize the car and have it better serve your needs.

And it all can be done remotely through your laptop, an internet connection and an inexpensive special cable.

Examples: 1. The auto-stop-start can be coded to remember your last choice - i.e., you can set it to not kick in and it will remain set. 2. The legal mumbo jumbo at start-up can be deleted. 3. The trunk can be coded to not only open from inside the car or through your key - it can be coded also to close that way. 4. The one-touch turn lights can be raised from three blinks to five. And many, many more. There's a whole menu of coding changes that are available.

Contact Ben Chen r33_RGSport at bchen@rgsport.com
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #16
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It is by no means prohibitively expensive and the coder can make many other adjustments to personalize the car and have it better serve your needs.

And it all can be done remotely through your laptop, an internet connection and an inexpensive special cable.

Examples: 1. The auto-stop-start can be coded to remember your last choice - i.e., you can set it to not kick in and it will remain set. 2. The legal mumbo jumbo at start-up can be deleted. 3. The trunk can be coded to not only open from inside the car or through your key - it can be coded also to close that way. 4. The one-touch turn lights can be raised from three blinks to five. And many, many more. There's a whole menu of coding changes that are available.

Contact Ben Chen r33_RGSport at bchen@rgsport.com
Quote:
Quote:
bimmercode can also do #1,2,4; but can't do #3.
Appreciate 0