M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Convertible Owners : Did you Tint?

03-13-2020, 05:42 PM   #1
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Convertible Owners : Did you Tint?

I am taking delivery of a Carbon Black on Tarufo M850 convertible next week. I am immediately taking it to a shop to Powder Coat the wheels, blackout all the trim, Ceramic Coating, Etc.

Question: Should the windows be tinted? If this was a coupe it would be a no brainer, but I'm torn for the convertible. Curious what you guys did.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 06:50 PM   #2
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
I am taking delivery of a Carbon Black on Tarufo M850 convertible next week. I am immediately taking it to a shop to Powder Coat the wheels, blackout all the trim, Ceramic Coating, Etc.

Question: Should the windows be tinted? If this was a coupe it would be a no brainer, but I'm torn for the convertible. Curious what you guys did.
I have not yet, but I'm thinking about it. It's not necessary, unless you are concerned with how it looks from the outside while parked. With the roof up, it's very dark inside. The double sized windshield frame and covered top make it dark inside.

I took my friend for a ride, and she's the type that always needs sunglasses. It was a sunny day, but even with the top down, she said she didn't need any sunglasses.
Most of the time I ride around with top down. If it's just me, the windows are down too. For my wife and baby, the top down but windows up.

It's a "fun" car for us as a toy, so we usually have the top down to get some sun. So I don't think I'll tint the windows. But it would look cool.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 06:53 PM   #3
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Mine was blue, if it was black and you're blacking out the trim, you may want to tint to complete the "look" with black wheels and everything black out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 06:54 PM   #4
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

You can see in pretty easily.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 07:33 PM   #5
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

I always tint my windows and my negotiation on the convertible included dealer-paid tinting done by my guy. Full disclosure: We live in sunny North Florida and my eyes are a bit more light sensitive than most. Also, I just think that cars look better with tinted windows.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2020, 08:02 PM   #6
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
I didn't but live in the Northeast where (1) we need all the sunlight we can get and (2) the police crack down on tint aggressively.

I admit that tinting does make the car look good.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2020, 08:44 PM   #7
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Convertible Owners : Did you Tint?

I'm in the same boat as @WCH , ditto.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 09:37 PM   #8
krutoydude
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X4M Comp, X7, 850x, 2018 x5m,

Got to black out the trim. Not sure if I should make rims all black and get wheels spacers. By the way what size wheel spacers should I get?
Attached Images

2019 850M
2018 M5
2018 X5M
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #9
BMWCARGUYM5X5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5, 2019 850i C

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by krutoydude View Post
Got to black out the trim. Not sure if I should make rims all black and get wheels spacers. By the way what size wheel spacers should I get?
Tinted my car on Day 1
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-14-2020, 08:48 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I didn't but live in the Northeast where (1) we need all the sunlight we can get and (2) the police crack down on tint aggressively.

Curious in regards to #2 as if there is an allowed standard. Here in AZ the law requires that tint on the driver and passenger windows requires that any tint allows more than 33% of light in. Given the small rear seat windows in the M850i I just had them tinted to match the 33% requirement but went with 20% for the rear window. That said I see hundreds of cars weekly during the commute that are obviously not abiding to the law so apparently it is not cracked down on by the police as per your experience.

Edit... just found the law for Massachusetts via the almighty Google Search and it appears 35% of light let in is the requirement all the way around.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #11
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Tinting is much less common in MA than AZ, FL or CA. We have lots of sunny days but half of them are in the winter when it can be very cold. Thus, it's more for looks than to keep the inside of the car cool. Thus, even though 35% is OK by law, a tinted car sticks out more and gives the police a reason to give you a hard time. I just don't need the hassle.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 09:44 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Tinting is much less common in MA than AZ, FL or CA. We have lots of sunny days but half of them are in the winter when it can be very cold. Thus, it's more for looks than to keep the inside of the car cool. Thus, even though 35% is OK by law, a tinted car sticks out more and gives the police a reason to give you a hard time. I just don't need the hassle.
Thanks for the detail and that makes sense as here in AZ literally nobody drives around without tinted windows. Also, totally agree on not wanting unnecessary beacon for the police to target you as the same reasoning as when I was looking at custom Individual colors for the M850i I discounted Rosso Corsa (stick out like a sore thumb when speeding next to other cars on the freeway) and was targeting Verde Ermes. Either way I couldn't get past the $5K add on cost and am absolutely loving the Tanzanite Blue which is a total chameleon as near black at night and gradients of blue to totally shimmering sparkle depending on the daylight (cloudy to full sunny).
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 11:45 PM   #13
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:

Curious in regards to #2 as if there is an allowed standard. Here in AZ the law requires that tint on the driver and passenger windows requires that any tint allows more than 33% of light in. Given the small rear seat windows in the M850i I just had them tinted to match the 33% requirement but went with 20% for the rear window. That said I see hundreds of cars weekly during the commute that are obviously not abiding to the law so apparently it is not cracked down on by the police as per your experience.

Edit... just found the law for Massachusetts via the almighty Google Search and it appears 35% of light let in is the requirement all the way around.
Virginia is full 50% and they mean it. It's common to get pulled over just for tint. Especially because MD allows dark tint, and Virginia does not.

Our cops carry a tint o meter that literally measures the tint. It's why I advise all my criminal clients to lower all the windows immediately once pulled over.

I'd wager about 10% of my prior case load involved window tint cases.
However, the easy fix is to pay a shop $100 to get a receipt to prove it was all removed correctly.

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/VA/
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 11:39 AM   #14
Scotchtion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Vert, 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:

Absolutely tint, but not super dark. The car is already really claustrophobic with the top up. Dark tint makes it worse, especially at night.

And PPF is a must. Had a couple rock chips just on the drive to the shop to have the PPF installed. It's like the front end it a stone vacuum.

Sorry about the bad pic, it's the only one I have that shows the lighter tint. And this is in AZ, and it still does fine keeping the sun out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 11:51 AM   #15
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Tint helps protect your interior from UV light too, I say do it
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 12:59 PM   #16
BMWCARGUYM5X5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5, 2019 850i C

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Tint helps protect your interior from UV light too, I say do it
Here's a picture of my car outside. Had it ceramic coated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-15-2020, 07:03 PM   #17
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchtion View Post
Absolutely tint, but not super dark. The car is already really claustrophobic with the top up. Dark tint makes it worse, especially at night.

And PPF is a must. Had a couple rock chips just on the drive to the shop to have the PPF installed. It's like the front end it a stone vacuum.

Sorry about the bad pic, it's the only one I have that shows the lighter tint. And this is in AZ, and it still does fine keeping the sun out.
I think the roof line of the convertible is a little lower than the coupe as I didn't seem to have the same sight line out of the front windshield as a coupe when I sat in a convertible at my dealer. Not sure if that was just misconception vs reality but it could be why I do not feel claustrophobic in my coupe whatsoever and I'm 6'6".

Totally agree on the PPF and I completely avoided the 101 between Scottsdale and Tempe/Chandler until the PPF was installed as that stretch of the freeway is littered with landscaping rock thanks to seemingly every landscaping rock delivery truck cruising it daily. In fact every single minor chip I have in the windshield now is from driving that stretch of the 101 after the PPF was installed!
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2020, 07:11 PM   #18
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCARGUYM5X5 View Post
Ceramic coating is a must at least in my opinion. So glad I had my detailer do that after the PPF was installed. I'm somewhat surprised too that the Tanzanite blue does not show dirt as much as my dark graphite grey Lexus did. With the ceramic coating just driving in the rain gives the M850i a decent wash with zero water spots given rain water is basically the equivalent to RODI (unless you are in an area with acid rain which is not the case here in AZ).
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2020, 07:39 PM   #19
Scotchtion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Vert, 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:

I think the roof line of the convertible is a little lower than the coupe as I didn't seem to have the same sight line out of the front windshield as a coupe when I sat in a convertible at my dealer. Not sure if that was just misconception vs reality but it could be why I do not feel claustrophobic in my coupe whatsoever and I'm 6'6".

Totally agree on the PPF and I completely avoided the 101 between Scottsdale and Tempe/Chandler until the PPF was installed as that stretch of the freeway is littered with landscaping rock thanks to seemingly every landscaping rock delivery truck cruising it daily. In fact every single minor chip I have in the windshield now is from driving that stretch of the 101 after the PPF was installed!
I'm 6'5" and don't feel I had near the room and viz as I did with my M4 Convertible. So the M850 still makes me a bit claustrophobic. But it's all solved with the top down.

Fully agree on avoiding the 101. I had my 1st new windshield at 640 miles. It's really bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 09:10 PM   #20
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCARGUYM5X5 View Post
Quote:
I'm 6'5" and don't feel I had near the room and viz as I did with my M4 Convertible. So the M850 still makes me a bit claustrophobic. But it's all solved with the top down.

Fully agree on avoiding the 101. I had my 1st new windshield at 640 miles. It's really bad.
That explains it as when I was waiting for my dealer to swap the wheels of my 1st ordered M850i (it was still on the floor) with the ones delivered in the 2nd Tanzanite Blue order (1st step of the Cerium eradication program which holds a thread of its own on the forum) I actually had the chance to sit in a M4 coupe and would say it did feel a bit more roomier. I actually was surprised!

As for the 101, I think any car takes a lot of damage on it. Too my surprise though my wife drives her X5 on it daily down to Chandler and back and so far no rock chips in the windshield. I'm guessing the front-end bumper take the brunt and I had it PPF'd before we picked it up.
Appreciate 0