M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8 comp carbahn

05-02-2024, 03:02 PM   #1
DmanRealty15
Rep
Drives: M8 comp, huracan evo spyder

M8 comp carbahn

Howdy everyone, got the m8 comp gc about a month or so ago. Love it so far! Getting an akrapovic exhaust and catless secondaries put on when I get back from vaca.

In addition, I’m looking into getting the carbahn stage 3 because I like the warranty idea. You can either get just the tune or the whole package. Anyways, dealer quoted me for whole package about 17k. I asked if I could just get the tune, he said sure but it may cause damage to systems if they can’t cool properly (isn’t that what warranty is for?), and said it won’t get the same proposed performance gains…

So I guess question is, is he trying to upsell me? Aka is it stupid to get the tune without the additional mods? Usually I would just get the whole package, but just coming back from vaca and not working for 2 weeks, then paying 16k for exhaust that week, another 17k seems a tad unreasonable at the moment haha. Just looking for opinions on if I’m going to screw my car up if I don’t get heat exchanger, cold air intake, etc…
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 04:03 PM   #2
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

The warranty will only be valid if u do the whole package
If you do not and something happens they will try to get out of the warranty saying you did not follow their recommened upgrades with stage 2 or 3 and this what caused the failure so they will not cover
My 2 cents on this
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 06:10 PM   #3
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmanRealty15 View Post
Howdy everyone, got the m8 comp gc about a month or so ago. Love it so far! Getting an akrapovic exhaust and catless secondaries put on when I get back from vaca.

In addition, I’m looking into getting the carbahn stage 3 because I like the warranty idea. You can either get just the tune or the whole package. Anyways, dealer quoted me for whole package about 17k. I asked if I could just get the tune, he said sure but it may cause damage to systems if they can’t cool properly (isn’t that what warranty is for?), and said it won’t get the same proposed performance gains…

So I guess question is, is he trying to upsell me? Aka is it stupid to get the tune without the additional mods? Usually I would just get the whole package, but just coming back from vaca and not working for 2 weeks, then paying 16k for exhaust that week, another 17k seems a tad unreasonable at the moment haha. Just looking for opinions on if I’m going to screw my car up if I don’t get heat exchanger, cold air intake, etc…
Save your money. Their tune is way too lame. $/HP is very high. Go with larger intercoolers and Racechip. Forget the akro exhaust. Another waste of money.

Ffs, did I get up on the wrong side of the bed today. Ban!

Last edited by Dr Thrillride; 05-03-2024 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 2
Vic5519515.50
M8Bimmer1272.50
      05-03-2024, 10:29 AM   #4
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmanRealty15 View Post

When you say stage three for them that means Tune, larger MAF sensor, heat exchanger, charge coolers (I think it might even have suspension parts too). Without those supporting mods the stage three tune will not go very far, like mentioned above their tune is a play it very safe tune which is why dealers are okay supporting the work. The warranty they offer is their inhouse one, which means if BMW doesn't cover something due to the work or parts from them they will pick up the bill with fine print. Honestly you got nothing to worry about with that work, if you don't want to spend that kind of cash go Stage one from them save some money and they still offer a warranty on it. BTW if I remember correctly their stage three is about 800-840hp range without a transmission tune which is a bit dangerous on that front. If you You Tube their M8 its an amazing daily driver not over the top and well balanced with performance.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 09:52 AM   #5
Salottox5m
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 m5

Race chip tune good? I’m also debating Carbahn vs racechip ( seems most popular in this forum)

I have 2020 m8 gc
      05-04-2024, 08:25 PM   #6
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salottox5m View Post
Race chip tune good? I’m also debating Carbahn vs racechip ( seems most popular in this forum)

I have 2020 m8 gc
I need to do a breakdown of this. When it comes down to it, if you have complete faith that carbahn will honour their, ‘warranty’, and you’re worried about it because you’re going to bag the shit out of your car, then carbahn is for you. Baggin it or not, if that’s piece of mind, who’s going to judge you? Not me.

If you want a little more power once in a while and you just like mods for the car, Racechip is perfect. Map 5 is solid. See my track time ramblings thread for comparison of RC and carbahn stage 2. Carbahn stage 1 was ‘pathetic’. Short term leasees may as well run map 7. I never tried it because it map 5 gave me 655 ft lbs torque, which was awesome. At the wheel on a dyno jet 4-wheel system. Pretty good I’d say.
Appreciate 3
r33_RGSport12996.00
M8Bimmer1272.50
      05-04-2024, 08:54 PM   #7
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:

I have 2020 m8 gc
Most popular is probably BM3. I'd say 75% of the BMW community has them, so it's proven - and it's easy to get a custom tune from one of the tuners if you get bored of the OTS (which is what Carbahn essentially is).

Also, it can be transferred to a future car at no cost (only once.)
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:42 AM   #8
Salottox5m
Captain
United_States
Rep

Racechip easy to install?

U feel it right away I’d imagine ?

121+ hp does seem pretty cool!

Truthfully stock 617 feels fast as sh*t … but can’t pass up another 120+ hp for $800 bucks!!

I might do it !!!

Bought spacers 15mm front / 11mm rear I need to put on still too ( only had car for week so far)

So probably spacers & tune will do it for me — did come w Dinan turbo inlet pipes ( actually had these on my 19 m5 but kept throwing up error / check engine light so I returned) — but in this m8 doesn’t seem to have that issue

Appreciate all help
Attached Images

Yesterday, 11:50 AM   #9
Salottox5m
Captain
United_States
Rep

Just want to confirm this is it prior to buying - think m8 GC is F93 ? So just wanted to double check
Attached Images

Yesterday, 12:05 PM   #10
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Just want to confirm this is it prior to buying - think m8 GC is F93 ? So just wanted to double check
I believe this is correct because I had the same one on my F93 and the harness is the same for all the M8's.

r33_RGSport
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 3
r33_RGSport12996.00
M8Bimmer1272.50
      Yesterday, 12:06 PM   #11
Salottox5m
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks
      Yesterday, 12:33 PM   #12
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Yes, that is correct.
Buy from my website. Faster support than Germany.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 2
M8Bimmer1272.50
      Yesterday, 01:58 PM   #13
Salottox5m
Captain
United_States
Rep

RG sport:

Send me the link to that part & I’ll click & buy
      Yesterday, 02:11 PM   #14
Salottox5m
Captain
United_States
Rep

RG - I sent you private message
      Yesterday, 11:16 PM   #15
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
RG - I sent you private message
Replied.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0