M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Spotify Library missing?

04-05-2023, 03:33 AM   #1
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Spotify Library missing?

Anyone else experienced this? Just randomly disappeared yesterday and can’t get it back

Tried idrive reset, logging out of the app and back in again, updating apps & services, and nothing has fixed it. Other things work like recently played and search, but library list won’t come up at all!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 11:23 AM   #2
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Happens to me all the time. Everything stops talking to each other. Do all the shit you did. Sometimes hooks up on the 5th try, sometimes not. Then, it's miraculously back.

It will also be working fine, I'll go into a store, come back out and.......nothing. Then hooks back up on the way home.

I'm enjoying a spectacular 2 month window right now. Probably just jinxed meself.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 01:12 PM   #3
JEDEROUAUX
Registered
Rep
Drives: M440d

Same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
Anyone else experienced this? Just randomly disappeared yesterday and can’t get it back

Tried idrive reset, logging out of the app and back in again, updating apps & services, and nothing has fixed it. Other things work like recently played and search, but library list won’t come up at all!
For the 1st time after 1.5 year, same issue. Previous issues could be fixed by either resetting the iDrive, either unsubscribe+subscribe again the app on the Spotify account page or by resubscribing the App in the iDrive...but here it seems that none of these solution is working. It happened to me while I was crossing a border to another country... Hope that it will come back alone soon....
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 07:46 PM   #4
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m850

I don’t know if this could be of any help, but I recently had a problem with the red light camera app in iDrive. I tried resetting iDrive. I tried turning the car on and off the only thing that worked was un pairing my iPhone from the car, then resettingg iDrive, then repairing my phone again I don’t know if this could be of any help to you and your situation but when I had an app problem in I drive, that’s what solved it for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 11:03 PM   #5
Van_bimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m850 GC

Mine started to doing this too, the other day.
1999 Mercedes SL500
1980 Mercedes 450SL
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 12:25 PM   #6
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Nothing seems to work to bring it back - someone has posted on the Spotify website, and they’ve responded to say it’s a BMW issue, not theirs. I could try and call the Connected Drive team, but they’ll have less of a clue than me
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2023, 07:38 PM   #7
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Well, my 2 month music run ended today, no doubt because of all this chatter, and me crowing about a 2 month uninterrupted run. After about 5 mins of it trying to load, I switched off my phone wifi for about 30 secs then turned it back on. Sumbitch, it hooked up right away. Go figure.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2023, 02:13 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbimmer View Post
Well, my 2 month music run ended today, no doubt because of all this chatter, and me crowing about a 2 month uninterrupted run. After about 5 mins of it trying to load, I switched off my phone wifi for about 30 secs then turned it back on. Sumbitch, it hooked up right away. Go figure.
Are you using CarPlay? Sounds like it if killing the WiFi and then reanabling solved the problem. I've never tried Spotify but will give it a go via Android Auto as it sounds like it's just not Bluetooth streaming.
Appreciate 1
Mgrae456271.00
      04-08-2023, 02:24 PM   #9
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Ima 'droid.

I also don't Iike the way it works thru Android Auto.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 12:18 AM   #10
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m850

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Are you using CarPlay? Sounds like it if killing the WiFi and then reanabling solved the problem. I've never tried Spotify but will give it a go via Android Auto as it sounds like it's just not Bluetooth streaming.
Like I said in an earlier post this is absolutely correct. If you're having a problem with a Idrive app kill carplay get your app working correctly then start over with carplay
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 01:41 PM   #11
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Mgrae456 I don’t use CarPlay at all, so fairly sure that’s not the issue here. Makes zero difference having my phone connected or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 03:17 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
Mgrae456 I don’t use CarPlay at all, so fairly sure that’s not the issue here. Makes zero difference having my phone connected or not.
On a drive this weekend I tried to find the Spotify app as remembered seeing it somewhere but it wasn't under the "apps" dashboard, e.g., Drive Recorder, Climate Control Rules, etc.

https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/b...ectedMusic.pdf

Just found the above doc and it reminded me why I never connected to Spotify in the first place, i.e., a premium aka paid subscription is required. However, to your point based on the guide once set up the connection sounds like iD7 to Spotify vs even a Bluetooth connection from the cell to the car being required.

So definitely a couple of operating models out there including what you have configured as well as others either running Spotify via CarPlay or AA.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2023, 04:09 PM   #13
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Spotify threads on point:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Car...W/td-p/5534896

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Car...re/m-p/5534338

My liked songs have been greyed out. Using integrated vehicle app. Phone not involved.

Last edited by BMWGirlFL; 04-11-2023 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2023, 09:29 PM   #14
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
This Spotify thread is on point:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Car...W/td-p/5534896

My liked songs have been greyed out. Using integrated vehicle app. Phone not involved.
That thread was an interesting read. Although finger pointing BMW<->Spotify it definitely sounds like something has changed and I'll go out on a limb and point at Spotify for updating/changing or depreciation an API the Connected Drive app uses.

Also what puzzles me is Spotify requires a data aka Internet connection. So even if using the Connected Drive native app without a cell phone where is that coming from? Perhaps it rides on the AT&T hotspot in the vehicle even if not subscribed for a full cellular connection. Just a puzzling factor. Tempted to do a 1 month premium Spotify subscription just to test things out.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 09:52 PM   #15
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
That thread was an interesting read. Although finger pointing BMW<->Spotify it definitely sounds like something has changed and I'll go out on a limb and point at Spotify for updating/changing or depreciation an API the Connected Drive app uses.

Also what puzzles me is Spotify requires a data aka Internet connection. So even if using the Connected Drive native app without a cell phone where is that coming from? Perhaps it rides on the AT&T hotspot in the vehicle even if not subscribed for a full cellular connection. Just a puzzling factor. Tempted to do a 1 month premium Spotify subscription just to test things out.
Vehicle SIM. Spotify Premium is the only cost. Interested in knowing your thoughts on audio quality compared to Sirius if you try. I also think this library & list issue is Spotify. Stuck at loading... BMW connectivity.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 12:05 AM   #16
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
I think Spotify sounds way better than SiriusXM. My last two F90s both had Bowers & Wilkins and my current M850 only has the lowly Harmon Kardon - but Spotify is still better sounding than Sirius. My one year free Sirius subscription is up next week and I will not be renewing. It will the first time since 2005 I have not had Sirius in the car. I just don't listen to it any more - I prefer my own Playlists for music and never listen to the news anymore either. The car is now my sanctuary. I even look forward to just driving it to the grocery store for eggs. Funny how it's 2 miles to the store and 7 miles to get back home. Dunno how that happens.
Appreciate 2
BMWGirlFL6287.50
      04-11-2023, 11:43 AM   #17
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think Spotify sounds way better than SiriusXM. My last two F90s both had Bowers & Wilkins and my current M850 only has the lowly Harmon Kardon - but Spotify is still better sounding than Sirius. My one year free Sirius subscription is up next week and I will not be renewing. It will the first time since 2005 I have not had Sirius in the car. I just don't listen to it any more - I prefer my own Playlists for music and never listen to the news anymore either. The car is now my sanctuary. I even look forward to just driving it to the grocery store for eggs. Funny how it's 2 miles to the store and 7 miles to get back home. Dunno how that happens.
Found this as a comparison on the audio quality stream of both services and just based on the specs Spotify premium will win.

Quote:
Spotify's free tier caps sound quality at 128kbps on the web player and around 160kbps on desktop and mobile. Spotify Premium supports the compressed, lossy OGG Vorbis audio format and streams at 320kbps on very high settings.

The sound quality of SiriusXM is average, mainly due to the heavily compressed satellite transmission format. The satellite has to use low bit rates and high compression rates to save bandwidth, thus limiting the sound quality to 48/64Kbps.
As mentioned in the past I've tested my Amazon Music Plus which includes HD and Ultra HD via Android Auto. It blew the pants off Sirius even for just the HD albums. Amazon doesn't go into great lengths to fully describe the bit rate but here's what they publish.

Quote:
HD
CD quality audio (aka, “lossless”)

Double the bitrate of standard definition streaming services

Preserves the detail of the original recording

Ultra HD
Better than CD quality audio (up to 24 bit, 192 kHz)

More than 10 times the bitrate of standard definition streaming services

Captures the nuance of the studio recording
So for HD that double the bit rate likely means double Spotify, Deezer, etc. as they do not have a high resolution service. Tidal started it but as far as I can tell has been nullified in the consumer market vs the likes of the more popular streaming services, e.g., Spotify.
Appreciate 2
snowbimmer5207.50
BMWGirlFL6287.50
      04-11-2023, 11:50 AM   #18
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I renewed using the tactic shared on the forum (which works similar to any cable provider, etc.). Just ask for a discount and if need be get escalated to the "retention" team. For SiriusXM it's been simple with no escalation required. You can get the music service only for $4 per month but I opted for the platinum at $11 as when the wife is in the car and our resident sports fanatic sometimes we'll play the NBA or NFL game coverage during the drive.

I could have lived with the music service only as Ozzy's Boneyard plus Watercolors is a staple while I'm solo in the car. I have 2TB of hard rock and jazz on the SSD but those two stations turn me on to some new music in either genre that I find valuable.
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5207.50