M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Firearms

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-08-2019, 02:02 PM   #3477
Grip Addict
Payer of ///M Tax
Grip Addict's Avatar
385
Rep
585
Posts

Drives: ///M3
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: PA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Can anyone recommend a lockable safe/hard case that will fit under a bed for a single shotgun under $200? Preferably with some kind of quick access for emergencies, like a biometric scanner, or quick keycode. Padlock and combination are a no-go since I would like to retain quick access.

My gunsafe is in the office closet, but I'd like to put the shotgun under our master bed.
I really like your signature. You make it?
__________________
Appreciate 1
FCobra942352.00

      08-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #3478
jmg
Major General
jmg's Avatar
United_States
6897
Rep
8,222
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Can anyone recommend a lockable safe/hard case that will fit under a bed for a single shotgun under $200? Preferably with some kind of quick access for emergencies, like a biometric scanner, or quick keycode. Padlock and combination are a no-go since I would like to retain quick access.

My gunsafe is in the office closet, but I'd like to put the shotgun under our master bed.
I really like your signature. You make it?
Thanks! Yup. Too much free time on my hands!
__________________
F80 ///M3 CS - Lime Rock Grey Metallic - M Performance Exhaust | I01 i3 REx - LCI
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i

Appreciate 2
FCobra942352.00

      08-13-2019, 07:11 PM   #3479
upstatedoc
pew pew
upstatedoc's Avatar
2416
Rep
1,963
Posts

Drives: blue streak
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: not downstate

iTrader: (2)

OK so my primary bump in the night gun is my 45 ACP with bulldog home defense loads. That's upstairs in the bedroom. Downstairs in my hand gun safe is my Glock 10 mm. What do you think the best home defense round would be? Bulldog does not sell the home defense rounds for 10 mm. Looking for around that would not penetrate walls as much. Should I be looking for a lighter round or heavier round? I've got several different types of 10 mm rounds. Ranging from 135 g to 200 grains
__________________
2018 Stinger GT
2014 Dodge Durango R/T //Diablosports Tuning
2009 E90 N51 /Active Autowerke Stage 2 tune/BMW Performance Exhaust/
Countermeasure enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 07:19 PM   #3480
Joekerr
Is Joe King
Joekerr's Avatar
4370
Rep
1,613
Posts

Drives: 2012 300C SRT8
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Have you considered a tactical rock? Very low wall penetration coupled with an extremely silent delivery - better than any suppressor on the market.
Appreciate 2
      08-13-2019, 07:20 PM   #3481
upstatedoc
pew pew
upstatedoc's Avatar
2416
Rep
1,963
Posts

Drives: blue streak
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: not downstate

iTrader: (2)

Ass








__________________
2018 Stinger GT
2014 Dodge Durango R/T //Diablosports Tuning
2009 E90 N51 /Active Autowerke Stage 2 tune/BMW Performance Exhaust/
Countermeasure enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 09:11 PM   #3482
Grip Addict
Payer of ///M Tax
Grip Addict's Avatar
385
Rep
585
Posts

Drives: ///M3
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: PA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
OK so my primary bump in the night gun is my 45 ACP with bulldog home defense loads. That's upstairs in the bedroom. Downstairs in my hand gun safe is my Glock 10 mm. What do you think the best home defense round would be? Bulldog does not sell the home defense rounds for 10 mm. Looking for around that would not penetrate walls as much. Should I be looking for a lighter round or heavier round? I've got several different types of 10 mm rounds. Ranging from 135 g to 200 grains
Whatever will do the job, but not go through 3 neighbors walls.

You don't want to save your family while having your bullets fly into a kids room three doors down.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 09:42 PM   #3483
jmg
Major General
jmg's Avatar
United_States
6897
Rep
8,222
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
OK so my primary bump in the night gun is my 45 ACP with bulldog home defense loads. That's upstairs in the bedroom. Downstairs in my hand gun safe is my Glock 10 mm. What do you think the best home defense round would be? Bulldog does not sell the home defense rounds for 10 mm. Looking for around that would not penetrate walls as much. Should I be looking for a lighter round or heavier round? I've got several different types of 10 mm rounds. Ranging from 135 g to 200 grains
I've always been led to believe that the faster 10mm round will penetrate walls more effectively, so I would stick with the 45 unless you can find some home defense rounds for that 10mm. In the end, the best home defense gun is the one you have the most proficiency in.
__________________
F80 ///M3 CS - Lime Rock Grey Metallic - M Performance Exhaust | I01 i3 REx - LCI
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i

Appreciate 1
      08-14-2019, 12:39 AM   #3484
AlpineWhite_SJ
Private
AlpineWhite_SJ's Avatar
United_States
62
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Have you considered a tactical rock? Very low wall penetration coupled with an extremely silent delivery - better than any suppressor on the market.
Those are currently banned in California for looking too scary, having too heavy a heft, and not making enough noise for your neighbors to report an unjustifiable homicide on the home invasion robber who snuck into your bedroom at 3am. Assault rocks need to be banned
__________________
Drive:
2018 Alpine White on Black F80 M3 6MT ZCP ZEP
2004 G35 Sedan
Appreciate 3
      08-14-2019, 06:01 AM   #3485
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
Canada
5781
Rep
1,781
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Niagara on the Lake

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I've always been led to believe that the faster 10mm round will penetrate walls more effectively, so I would stick with the 45 unless you can find some home defense rounds for that 10mm. In the end, the best home defense gun is the one you have the most proficiency in.
Interior walls won't stop much of anything and exterior walls may not be much better depending on material, brick or stone obviously better than wood. The best material to stop the round would be getting them on target.
Appreciate 3
upstatedoc2415.50
jmg6896.50

      08-14-2019, 09:34 PM   #3486
Grip Addict
Payer of ///M Tax
Grip Addict's Avatar
385
Rep
585
Posts

Drives: ///M3
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: PA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
Interior walls won't stop much of anything and exterior walls may not be much better depending on material, brick or stone obviously better than wood. The best material to stop the round would be getting them on target.
I agree with this.

If I could guess and from what I know, a 9mm round would probably go through 4-6 walls even if its a mix of drywall and exterior walls.

Been watching too much demolition ranch.
__________________
Appreciate 4
      08-15-2019, 06:23 AM   #3487
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
Canada
5781
Rep
1,781
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Niagara on the Lake

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
I agree with this.

If I could guess and from what I know, a 9mm round would probably go through 4-6 walls even if its a mix of drywall and exterior walls.

Been watching too much demolition ranch.
Theres some pretty interesting videos on the internet, if I recall correctly even .22 will punch through 3/4" plywood at a couple of hundred yards.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 09:50 AM   #3488
Grip Addict
Payer of ///M Tax
Grip Addict's Avatar
385
Rep
585
Posts

Drives: ///M3
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: PA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
Theres some pretty interesting videos on the internet, if I recall correctly even .22 will punch through 3/4" plywood at a couple of hundred yards.
Yep, now there is a chance your bullet hits a stud and hits wood instead of drywall and insulation. Which would slow it down and stop it after a few wood hits, but looking at any wall in your house, wood is only behind probably 10% of any wall in your house. 20% maybe.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 10:49 AM   #3489
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
Canada
5781
Rep
1,781
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Niagara on the Lake

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
Yep, now there is a chance your bullet hits a stud and hits wood instead of drywall and insulation. Which would slow it down and stop it after a few wood hits, but looking at any wall in your house, wood is only behind probably 10% of any wall in your house. 20% maybe.
Studs are 16" apart so 9%......I recall years ago during a Tactical operation a 5.56 round was fired and entered a wall running down the length of the interior wall, I can't recall exactly how far it travelled before exiting the wall but I know it was more than 10 feet so about 8-10 2x4 studs were penetrated. I know after that the went to 12 gauge and MP-5 as there primary weapon for a long time.
Appreciate 3
FCobra942352.00
upstatedoc2415.50

      08-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #3490
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
907
Rep
3,588
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Hey guys! I've just grabbed my first gun up here in Canada. It's a Savage MSR 15 Recon

Appreciate 4
NickyC4719.00
Run Silent10360.50
glennQNYC4929.50

      08-15-2019, 12:42 PM   #3491
Grip Addict
Payer of ///M Tax
Grip Addict's Avatar
385
Rep
585
Posts

Drives: ///M3
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: PA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Hey guys! I've just grabbed my first gun up here in Canada. It's a Savage MSR 15 Recon

I am always interested in other states in USA and countries outside of USA gun laws.

What are Canada's like?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #3492
Run Silent
Run Deep
Run Silent's Avatar
United_States
10361
Rep
2,921
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Mountains

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Ha. Semi-firearm related. Found some old photos from when I worked for the government.

Most of these guns were 'expropriated'

Enjoy.
Attached Images
    
__________________
Nou gaan ons braai!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 12:55 PM   #3493
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
907
Rep
3,588
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
I am always interested in other states in USA and countries outside of USA gun laws.

What are Canada's like?
They're okay IMO. Maybe a little bit strict...

The basic thing you have to understand if guns here aren't really a right more of a privilege technically.

What I like:
- Not that easy to get into firearms, I mean it's easy to access the form and all that just some waiting time involved. You must be approved by the RCMP your privincal chiefs firearms officer and have not had a recent breakup for example. Must also provide references. The whole process also takes a good ammount of time, it is a PITA first time but at the same time I guess it can stop someone who is depressive and wants to do a mass shooting or something. Currently most firearm shootings are mostly gang related and illegal firearms so it must work I guess?

What I dislike:
- This one I really fucking dislike a lot: 5 bullet magazine limit for rifles for legal owners but a criminal can just drill out the rivet pin and have a full 30 round mag. We have a loophole where you can get a 10 bullet mag using pistol .223 mags but that's the most
- 10 bullet mag limit for handguns
- Restricted firearm cannot be shot on private land or crown land. Only at shooting clubs or events. To give you an idea ALL handguns are classified restricted and most ARs and black rifles are restircted as well.

To add to this, to be able to purchases a restricted class firearm you must be part of a shooting club.

Another point I also find weird is storage. A non restricted gun you can store it on your kitchen table with a cable or trigger lock but a restricted firearm must have a trigger or cable lock AND be stored inside of a sturdy container like a case or safe OR it can be displayed outside with trigger/cable lock but it must be mounted in a way where you can't just pick it up so like bolted to a shelf or something.

So yeah I think that's most of it, I may have missed some points.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent10360.50

      08-15-2019, 01:03 PM   #3494
Run Silent
Run Deep
Run Silent's Avatar
United_States
10361
Rep
2,921
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Mountains

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Restricted firearm cannot be shot on private land or crown land. Only at shooting clubs or events. To give you an idea ALL handguns are classified restricted and most ARs and black rifles are restircted as well.
What are some examples of "Non-Restricted" firearms?
__________________
Nou gaan ons braai!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 01:14 PM   #3495
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
907
Rep
3,588
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
What are some examples of "Non-Restricted" firearms?
I think basically all .22 and .22lr rifles are non restricted. All shotguns are basically non restricted to. SKS is non restricted. Some interesting pieces that are non restricted is the IWI X95 Tactical rife and Type 97 Norinco. I also believe all bolt action and lever action rifles are non restricted. CZ Scorpion with the long barrel is non restricted but the short barrel is restricted. It's a mix of what they look like, and certain barrel lenghts, not 100% sure.

Also to get your licence you first have to do one full day course for each class. So like my restricted licences had to take 2 full day firearm safety courses mandated by Canada federally. Before being able to apply for your firearm acquisition and possession liscence.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent10360.50

      08-15-2019, 01:17 PM   #3496
Run Silent
Run Deep
Run Silent's Avatar
United_States
10361
Rep
2,921
Posts

Drives: Back and Forth To Work
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Mountains

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I think basically all .22 and .22lr rifles are non restricted. All shotguns are basically non restricted to. SKS is non restricted. Some interesting pieces that are non restricted is the IWI X95 Tactical rife and Type 97 Norinco. I also believe all bolt action and lever action rifles are non restricted. CZ Scorpion with the long barrel is non restricted but the short barrel is restricted. It's a mix of what they look like, and certain barrel lenghts, not 100% sure.

Also to get your licence you first have to do one full day course for each class. So like my restricted licences had to take 2 full day firearm safety courses mandated by Canada federally. Before being able to apply for your firearm acquisition and possession licence.
So, if vetted to own and operate a restricted firearm, can that person utilize the firearm to protect themselves (self defence) in the event of a break in whilst in their home?

What about non-restricted firearms? You noted that you cannot discharge them on your property. If licensed to own a restricted firearm, can you utilize it for self defence within your home?
__________________
Nou gaan ons braai!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 01:33 PM   #3497
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
907
Rep
3,588
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
So, if vetted to own and operate a restricted firearm, can that person utilize the firearm to protect themselves (self defence) in the event of a break in whilst in their home?

What about non-restricted firearms? You noted that you cannot discharge them on your property. If licensed to own a restricted firearm, can you utilize it for self defence within your home?
So it's a bit tricky really. The short answer is no. Especially for restricted as in the course they teach you the ONLY reason to own a restricted firearm is for shooting or for work, which is why you need to be part of a club.

I remember having this discussion with someone and had found article but I don't remember the context... the basic Candian self defence law, not firearm related, is you can defend yourself using equal force/reasonable force and I believe it must be last resort. So like if someone comes in my house with a knife, I must try to escape and if my only option is to fight him out to escape then you could use a knife as well.

If you bring firearms in this, I guess if someone assault you with a restricted you still couldn't technically use a restricted back but a non restricted I think would apply and be legal. But again, kinda as a last resort.

It's really fucking complicated eh? I might be doing mistakes but this is the way I understand it.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #3498
TheMidnightNarwhal
Brigadier General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
907
Rep
3,588
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Also one thing I would like to add and appreciate is you can easily call a phone number and speak with someone from the RCMP and get answers to firearms question. You might have to wait on the line if they are busy but it's easy to know if you are being legal or not and not be in trouble.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 PM.




m8
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST