M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion squeaky brakes?

04-10-2023, 07:25 PM   #67
SATriplett
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M8, M4, X5

Garage List
Squeaky Brake Remedy

I had this problem very early on with my 2020 M8 Competition. I noticed it got much worse after two days of hard driving on a local track during BMW CCA HPDE days. I was embarrassed when I slowly came to a stop and my brakes squealed loudly. I recently switched from my winter to summer tires. Here is the remedy to squeaky breaks. At least what worked for me. After removing each wheel, I used a solution of hot water and dish soap in a spray bottle. I thoroughly scrubbed the surface of the brake rotor with a stiff bristled plastic brush to remove surface brake dust. I then used an assortment of different brass wire brushes and a cordless power drill to remove even more of what I can only describe as a laminated layer of brake pad dust. No kidding, you will be surprised what continues to get cleaned off your rotors. I wasn't too worried about getting aggressive with the brass wire brushes and the drill. I know brass is a much softer metal than the rotors so little risk of doing damage to them. I rinsed with clean water in a spray bottle and wiped dry with a microfiber cloth. I took it for a drive after and not a single squeal from the brakes regardless of cold or hot brake temp. Hope this helps others.
Appreciate 1
rw99102.00
      04-10-2023, 10:43 PM   #68
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23TripleBlack View Post
Dealer has had my car since Tuesday morning. Had to take it in for PPF. While it was there they had the foreman drive it. He told the SA that the squeal was so loud he agreed it could indeed be heard from hundreds of yards away. They told me this evening that they found “material defect” on both of my rear brake pads. Replaced both pads, said they drove for 30 minutes after and no squeal. I’ll pick it up tomorrow and provide update. Fingers crossed…
What was the defect listed as in the repairs?
When you originally had the problem, did your squeaking resolve/reduce with a car wash? I suspect mine is related to brake dust as a good washing seems to quiet them for a short bit
Did the problem come back?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 10:47 PM   #69
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
I get a big laugh at the last portion of the article... Talk about reaching really far.... lol
I’d call reaching far in another other city, but in Glendale I believe it. Complaint originated from there. They’ll impound cars with loud stock exhausts and check your ecu for tunes with any sign of modifying.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 09:00 PM   #70
rw99
Private
Rep
Drives: M850i coupe

Rotors swapped…

For those with the M Sport brakes, I’m in the midst of an experiment that may be useful. Per Ben’s suggestion, I changed to the M Performance rotors. Aside from the appearance upgrade, I’m hopeful that low speed squeal may be eliminated if these are properly bedded with new OEM pads. (I would’ve gone with Isweeps, but needed to have the work done in NorCal by my dealership).

I’ll report back after bedding these and doing some driving.

Rich
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      04-11-2023, 10:24 PM   #71
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

I’ve owned far more than my fair share of European performance cars and never had an issue with squeaking brakes. I did however have this issue with a new MB500 coupe from the early 2000’s, once they were replaced with updated rotors and pads the issue was completely resolved and never returned.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 01:49 PM   #72
aepps22
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 GC

Mine squeaked pretty bad with just 3K miles. Dealership was no help so I replaced the oem pads with the iSweep is2000 and no more squeaks.
Appreciate 1
claykin1587.50
      04-16-2023, 08:03 PM   #73
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by aepps22 View Post
Mine squeaked pretty bad with just 3K miles. Dealership was no help so I replaced the oem pads with the iSweep is2000 and no more squeaks.
Glad you resolved it, but the dealer's/BMW lack of help is simply unacceptable...may make one think twice before buying an M8 if it squeals like a school bus, and yet nothing will be done about it. Are you listening BMW???

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 03:52 PM   #74
rw99
Private
Rep
Drives: M850i coupe

1500 mile evaluation…

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw99 View Post
For those with the M Sport brakes, I’m in the midst of an experiment that may be useful. Per Ben’s suggestion, I changed to the M Performance rotors. Aside from the appearance upgrade, I’m hopeful that low speed squeal may be eliminated if these are properly bedded with new OEM pads. (I would’ve gone with Isweeps, but needed to have the work done in NorCal by my dealership).

I’ll report back after bedding these and doing some driving.

Rich
OK, here’s the outcome after 1500 miles of fairly normal driving. I decided NOT to bed these new rotors/pads; thought I’d see how they performed as installed by my dealership.

1) Appearance: fantastic upgrade to the featureless stock discs.
2) Squeal: no noticeable brake squeal at any speed! Which is surprising, given that these pads are the same as the stockers.
3) Dust: just as bad as before. As expected.

But two outta three ain’t bad. Very happy with this setup!

Rich
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 03:47 PM   #75
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

Quote:
Originally Posted by aepps22 View Post
Is this pad solution still working for you?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      09-23-2023, 10:43 PM   #76
aepps22
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoggm3 View Post
Is this pad solution still working for you?
Not only is it working but the stopping power with the IS2000 is better than what I had. This is a relatively inexpensive modification to get it to stop. The dealership just wanted me to beat up on my car and drive crazy to “set” the brakes but I wasn’t going to do that. I think they liked joyriding in my car instead of doing something about the problem.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00