M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Tyre damage

04-09-2023, 01:47 PM   #1
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Tyre damage

Good job that I decided to wash the car this afternoon! No rim damage and I checked the other three inner and outer sidewalls, all ok. Guess it must be pothole damage and given the state of the roads around here, I'm not in the least bit surprised.
Can't risk driving it - not now that I know it's there!
Got a mobile fitter coming out on Tuesday morning, £256 in total which is a lot less than I thought it would be. I'll have a good look at the inside of the rim when the tyre is removed but there was no vibration when I last drove it so hopefully it'll be ok.
In hindsight I wish I'd chosen run-flats when I configured the car!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 02:34 PM   #2
Volcanic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8C Vert, 2007 M6 Vert

Glad there is no rim damage!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 03:43 PM   #3
JtheW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 m850gc

What brand of tyre is that?
      04-09-2023, 04:04 PM   #4
hersh67
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M8GC

I used to get a lot of bubbles on my other M cars, driving over everything and not being careful.

If the car is under a year old, and your tire shop has a good relationship with the manufacturer, you might wanna ask them if it could fall under some kind of mfr warranty.

My local shop helped me out this way once.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 04:35 PM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtheW View Post
What brand of tyre is that?
Bridgestone Potenza S007
Appreciate 1
JtheW112.00
      04-09-2023, 04:39 PM   #6
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hersh67 View Post
I used to get a lot of bubbles on my other M cars, driving over everything and not being careful.

If the car is under a year old, and your tire shop has a good relationship with the manufacturer, you might wanna ask them if it could fall under some kind of mfr warranty.

My local shop helped me out this way once.
Car is over 13 months old and knowing the dealer I bought it from (great when you're buying but no interest once they get your money), I don't imagine I'll get any support but thanks for the suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 05:25 PM   #7
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Jon D make sure the mobile tire guy has a leverless tire mounting machine. A conventional tire mounting machine will damage the lip of your wheel while trying to remove the tire from the wheel.

Also, I highly suggest the balancer be a road force type (applies pressure to the wheel while spinning and uses IR and signal processing to read various vibration sensors to get you a better balance. This is often needed with BMWs and low profile tires.

From looking at the photo, you can safely drive on this tire to a shop or your dealer if the mobile guy turns out to not have the right equipment.
      04-09-2023, 06:05 PM   #8
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Car is over 13 months old and knowing the dealer I bought it from (great when you're buying but no interest once they get your money), I don't imagine I'll get any support but thanks for the suggestion.
Must be Eastern Edinburgh by the sounds of it?

Potholes are rife unfortunately, and run flats wouldn’t have helped I’m afraid. I also hate those tyres - can’t wait for them to run down so I can get something better on!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 06:06 PM   #9
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Jon D
From looking at the photo, you can safely drive on this tire to a shop or your dealer if the mobile guy turns out to not have the right equipment.
Not going to risk driving the car but thanks all the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 06:24 PM   #10
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Not going to risk driving the car but thanks all the same.
Understood. I do suggest asking the right questions to avoid later regret or fighting with your tire guy for the cost to replace or refinish a wheel. Hope it turns out perfect for you.
      04-10-2023, 12:13 AM   #11
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m850

Just want to second the post that mentioned making sure the wheel and tire are road forced balanced. A slight rim imperfection can make for a bad driving experience and is not visible to the naked eye.
A run flat would have made no difference they actually bubble and blow out easier in my opinion. Judging by the tire and profile I see you are driving a m850. If you want a more permanent solution switch to 245/40-20 fronts and 275/35-20 rears. I did as well as few other forum members. You get more sidewall which makes all the difference in the world. In addition to helping protect you from situations like this you will also notice when you hit road imperfections it's less jarring. Another plus is the tire fills the wheel well better.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2023, 03:50 AM   #12
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Mgrae456 Interesting on the sizes - 275/35’s are also quite a bit cheaper than 275/30’s! How much have they knocked out the speedo by increasing the rolling circumference?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 06:17 AM   #13
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgrae456 View Post
If you want a more permanent solution switch to 245/40-20 fronts and 275/35-20 rears. I did as well as few other forum members. You get more sidewall which makes all the difference in the world. In addition to helping protect you from situations like this you will also notice when you hit road imperfections it's less jarring. Another plus is the tire fills the wheel well better.
If only... the tyres are the only aspect of the car which I dislike but that was the only size available for the car in the UK when I configured it.
I've never understood this cult of low profile tyres. I configured my previous car, a 640i, with 19" rims and it rode far better that the one I had before that on 20s, with no noticeable difference in handling. That proved even better when I changed to 18" tyres in the winter.
Unfortunately, as I'm sure you know, minimum rim diameter is governed by brake caliper clearance and, ASFAIK, 20" is the minimum. Additionally, as Beemer5to3 says, it'll put your speedo out. Granted, not illegally as it will under-read (do you know by how much?) but I think that UK insurers would class that as a modification, which they don't like and will load your premium for.
Correction, under-reading is definitely illegal.

Last edited by Jon D; 04-10-2023 at 06:32 AM.. Reason: Correction: under-reading is definitely illegal.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 06:22 AM   #14
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
Must be Eastern Edinburgh by the sounds of it?
You're not very far off the mark - have you had a similar experience?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 06:25 AM   #15
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You're not very far off the mark - have you had a similar experience?
Yes unfortunately mate - my car was delivered to me with an enormous scratch on the windscreen, and they wanted nothing to do with it (tried to blame me etc). Took nearly 3 months of battling via BMWFS to get it resolved. Utter disgrace.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 07:00 AM   #16
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Yes unfortunately mate - my car was delivered to me with an enormous scratch on the windscreen, and they wanted nothing to do with it (tried to blame me etc). Took nearly 3 months of battling via BMWFS to get it resolved. Utter disgrace.
Glad you got it sorted.
My experience wasn't as serious as yours. My previous three new cars, a new 535d in 2010, a 1yo 640i in 2013 and a new 640i in 2016 from different dealers were all supplied with a full tank of fuel.
My 840d only had half a tank and when I commented on it the replay was something like "have you any idea how much diesel costs"! That was borderline rudeness and I would normally have stood my ground but it was a dreadful day in late Feb last year with a storm front rapidly approaching and I was very keen to get it back home north of the river and into the garage. It wasn't the few quid's worth of fuel that bothered me but the stinginess definitely took the edge off the experience and I'll never deal with them again.
Interestingly, when completing the review I only gave them 3 stars and, what a surprise, it was never published!
The other niggle I had was when I started to apply a liquid ceramic coat (amazing stuff) the next day. Under the bright lighting in my garage I noticed a couple of minor scratches on the roof. I called the dealer and they did offer have a look and rectify it but that would have only been a scratch filler with a machine polish which I didn't want. Not a big issue as they can't be seen unless you know where to look and, apart from the tyres, I'm very happy with the car.
Afterwards I emailed the sales manager, the salesperson in question and BMW UK, politely explaining the reasons for my dissatisfaction but, guess what... I never heard anything further!
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2023, 07:21 AM   #17
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Understood. I do suggest asking the right questions to avoid later regret or fighting with your tire guy for the cost to replace or refinish a wheel. Hope it turns out perfect for you.
Thanks, appreciate the input.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 07:31 AM   #18
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I also hate those tyres - can’t wait for them to run down so I can get something better on!
I take it that you also have Bridgestone S007s, are yours fun-flats or conventional? I was hoping to wear mine out and replace the whole set with something more compliant but the car has only done 4k miles so I'm only going to change the damaged one for the time being.
Have to say that Mgrae456's suggestion of a slightly higher profile has got me thinking but it's the speedo under-read that concerns me most. Compared to the GPS iphone app my speedo over-reads buy 1mph throughout the range (as I think all BMWs do) but that's not much of a margin for error.
Also unsure about the insurance angle.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 07:51 AM   #19
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m850

Quote:
Mgrae456 Interesting on the sizes - 275/35’s are also quite a bit cheaper than 275/30’s! How much have they knocked out the speedo by increasing the rolling circumference?
What's interesting is in my last two m850 my speedo was off by about 3mph vs GPS. Going up in tire size fixed the problem. 🤷‍♂️
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 09:35 AM   #20
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I take it that you also have Bridgestone S007s, are yours fun-flats or conventional? I was hoping to wear mine out and replace the whole set with something more compliant but the car has only done 4k miles so I'm only going to change the damaged one for the time being.
Have to say that Mgrae456's suggestion of a slightly higher profile has got me thinking but it's the speedo under-read that concerns me most. Compared to the GPS iphone app my speedo over-reads buy 1mph throughout the range (as I think all BMWs do) but that's not much of a margin for error.
Also unsure about the insurance angle.
They’re non run-flats (fairly sure it’s only those that are * marked anyway). They’re very stiff, and also cause my car to do that horrible knocking when there’s steering lock on and it’s cold / wet.

Personally I’d stick to the OEM sizes, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong with fitting non * marked tyres. Mine will all be getting replaced with Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 3’s when the time comes.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 11:03 AM   #21
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
They’re non run-flats (fairly sure it’s only those that are * marked anyway). They’re very stiff, and also cause my car to do that horrible knocking when there’s steering lock on and it’s cold / wet.

Personally I’d stick to the OEM sizes, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong with fitting non * marked tyres. Mine will all be getting replaced with Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 3’s when the time comes.
I know what you mean about the knocking on near or full lock in the cold. I was quite alarmed when it first happened so I posted a thread about it on this forum - seems it's quite common with these tyres.
Any particular reason why you're going for the Hankooks? Just had a look on Auto Express and whilst the performance figures are middling, they're the quietest of the bunch and that could swing it for me. Tyre roar on the Bridgestones is horrible.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 11:59 AM   #22
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I’ve always found Hankook to be very good tyres, and their brand is now aimed at the premium end too, with brands like Audi and BMW now using as OEM.

They’ve done very well in a number of tests too - wet braking they’re outstanding, which is one of the things I look for in tyres given UK weather! They’re also very well priced, with the rears being about £100 cheaper each than say PS4s’. I’ve had Hankooks on previous cars too and been very impressed.
Appreciate 0