M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography *OFFICIAL* Critique Thread

08-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #155
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT0404 View Post
Anyone care to critique my colors here? I'm color blind and have difficulty ensuring everything stays within normal ranges. Feel free to C&C on other areas, too.

St. John's Pews by mkrepp, on Flickr
There isn't much for color in this one. But what little there is seems to be right. The first pew is the only one with a hint of color in it and like i said it looks right to me.

I like the image but for me i would have liked to seen a larger DOF, maybe 2 or 3 pews in focus. I like the natural light but would have liked to seen some shadow on the right side of the crosses to make them more pronounced. I think this may only be achieved by additional lighting or different camera position, both of which would drastically change the image though.

here is another of mine. Taken this past week while on vacation in the UP.

08-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #156
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

sup fellas. took a stab at hdr for the first time. Please tear me a new one

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #157
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
Well, the valance is still pretty dark. Was one of your exposures at +2? I think at least that much was needed. I looking on my laptop, so it is probably better on my good, calibrated monitor.

I supose you're just experimenting, but all the crap in the BG ruins in potential of a "keeper."

Dave
      08-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #158
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
What did you use to do the HDR? I'm by no means a photo expert, but I thought the whole point of HDR was to take pictures across all exposure levels so you can see the detail normally hidden in the shadows/bright areas of a photo. Kinda like this one that I took:

By doing an HDR I was able to get the detail in the engine bay and the cabin of the car.

On your photo all the shadow areas look very underexposed and dark. In a proper HDR (at least my understanding of it) those areas should be visible.

I tried to mess around with the picture in Photoshop a bit to try and bring out the darker areas but didn't have a ton of luck because of how saturated the dark areas were. If I went any brighter it was starting to look pretty bad.
Attached Images

08-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #159
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Read the rules of the thread.
      08-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #160
Weebl
Weebl wobbles but eats Pie
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 d,2008 335i, 2000 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebl View Post
Version #2 of my hummer. 300mm,F4,1/2000 and ISO 1600 Very windy day

Throwing the subject off to one side I think you do for effect or some background reason- I don't see one/ it isn't obvious to me. Or crop square.
While F1.4 works and bokeh is very good, you spotted on her glasses and missed her eyes. One of the penalties of F1.4
Same shot but if you had her facing her left,the light is leaving "bags" under her eyes. Or if you happen to carry a white garbage bag and throw it on the table to find some fill light.
Good posture helps.
Always look at your background and see what is back there and might be distracting.

I guarantee you, better than what I can do.
Quote:
See #133Meant for Joe and the critique of his photo

So how did my image get skipped???

Still waiting......
2000 740i-Annalisa (sold 2018) 2008 335i-Weebl. Weebl may wobble but has DTC 2012 X5d in Sparkling Bronze ( The Ultimate Cat Carrying Machine)-RIP BMW buyback 2019:2017 A3, 2018 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 12:47 AM   #161
sourphish
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 i4 M50

Garage List
Quote:

I actually like the darkness around the tail lights but I agree with the others about the other dark/shadow areas, especially the exhaust / diffuser region. What +/- exposures did you use and HDR program? Also, use a tripod next time since I can see you squatting in your plaid-looking shorts from the reflection of your bumper :P

Since the last 2 photos were HDR, here's one of mine that I did in Hawaii I think last year. It was one of my first few attempts as well, and since then, I've probably only done 1 or 2 more. Rip me a new one as well! (Please kindly ignore the tree on the left poaching into the picture heheh). It was taken while it was raining thick heavy rain drops, so you can see them in the picture. I pulled over quickly, jumped out of the van, snapped the pictures, jumped right back in. Didn't want to get me or the camera too wet

08-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #162
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Best I could do with the finished file. If you have the lighter version from your HDR files (and you have Photoshop), use the lightest version as the bottom layer and the darker version as the top layer and mask out the dark area at the rear.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #163
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourphish View Post
I like it. It has a very surreal look to it, with the sun still high but the light so dim. At most I might have played around with the dark areas to try to bring out a bit of detail, but that's a minor nitpick and may not even have worked. Nice shot, though. Is this true HDR? As in, multiple shots with different exposures?

I don't normally do portraits, but this rather substantial crop from pics I took of a speaker at our school last week almost makes a decent portrait. I was maybe 70 feet away shooting with my 24-105 wide open at ISO 800.

EDIT: Oops, didn't mean to load the full sized version. Here's the smaller one.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #164
sourphish
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 i4 M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I like it. It has a very surreal look to it, with the sun still high but the light so dim. At most I might have played around with the dark areas to try to bring out a bit of detail, but that's a minor nitpick and may not even have worked. Nice shot, though. Is this true HDR? As in, multiple shots with different exposures?
Hm, yeah I could have done more with the dark areas. Thanks! Yeah it is HDR; I used 3 images but I don't remember what range I used, probably not too much of a range (maybe -1 +1?). The green shrubbery at the bottom of the picture was quite dark with the original normally exposed picture. The HDR brought the color out a lot more.
      08-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #165
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Still waiting......
Again as well. don't see why people can't read the fricking thread......