M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Spotify and maps traffic data stopped working

06-18-2021, 10:28 PM   #1
jm600rr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8C Coupe

Spotify and maps traffic data stopped working

Couple days ago I noticed my built in Spotify stopped working. Just says loading data. I just ignored it and switched to XM and forgot about it. Today I noticed my maps won't get any traffic or live data. My connected drive app connects fine to the car so data seems to be working. I tried the hold the volume down 30sec to reboot idrive with no success. I called my dealer and they were clueless and told me to bring it in later next week. Was wondering if there was a simple fix to resolve instead of taking it in. All subscriptions on the car is good till 2024 so nothing is expired. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 11:00 PM   #2
Van_bimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m850 GC

Same here, my Spotify stopped working this morning we I started the car. I didn’t notice the traffic data, I assume the same problem. Strange
1999 Mercedes SL500
1980 Mercedes 450SL
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 03:11 AM   #3
Justao
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 F91

Try to reboot your idrive system by holding power/volume button fir 45s. In most of the cases it helps
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 06:25 AM   #4
lfc3153
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Spotify packed up on my 2015 X5M yesterday. Both I drive and iPhone show to be connected. I will try as advised above. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 06:17 PM   #5
Andycam
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i xDrive Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm600rr View Post
Couple days ago I noticed my built in Spotify stopped working. Just says loading data. I just ignored it and switched to XM and forgot about it. Today I noticed my maps won't get any traffic or live data. My connected drive app connects fine to the car so data seems to be working. I tried the hold the volume down 30sec to reboot idrive with no success. I called my dealer and they were clueless and told me to bring it in later next week. Was wondering if there was a simple fix to resolve instead of taking it in. All subscriptions on the car is good till 2024 so nothing is expired. Thanks in advance.
Mine has been like that since January. Sometimes it gets stuck on "loading data", sometimes "feature not available", and I only drive in areas with good cell coverage. It's like a 50% chance when I start the car if Spotify is going to work or not.

Have reported that, and a long list of other software bugs, to BMW. Telling the dealer has no effect.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 09:28 PM   #6
jm600rr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the tips. Tried all the above and still not working. Even tried new profile and doesn't work. Not so concerned about getting Spotify working but would like my maps traffic data to work. Took it to the dealer and they told me it probably needs a software update. I'm on 11.2020.36. Doesn't sound right.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 09:36 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the tips. Tried all the above and still not working. Even tried new profile and doesn't work. Not so concerned about getting Spotify working but would like my maps traffic data to work. Took it to the dealer and they told me it probably needs a software update. I'm on 11.2020.36. Doesn't sound right.
Agreed as it doesn't sound right. Spotify and the map plus realtime traffic updates are a completely different animal. Unless there is a known bug in 11/2020.36 associated with maps/traffic data it sounds like the dealer is just shooting in the dark. Plus, if it works for months and then stopped seriously doubt it's the iDrive software.

Have you checked the Connected Drive portal to ensure the subscription is still showing as active? If so it is likely another BMW Cloud faux pas (many examples of that) which they will eventually fix.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 11:23 PM   #8
jm600rr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Agreed as it doesn't sound right. Spotify and the map plus realtime traffic updates are a completely different animal. Unless there is a known bug in 11/2020.36 associated with maps/traffic data it sounds like the dealer is just shooting in the dark. Plus, if it works for months and then stopped seriously doubt it's the iDrive software.

Have you checked the Connected Drive portal to ensure the subscription is still showing as active? If so it is likely another BMW Cloud faux pas (many examples of that) which they will eventually fix.
Thanks. I just logged on and shows good till 10/23/2024. Guess I will just take it in next week. Hopefully the new software update will not affect the exhaust over runs like I heard others express with software updates.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 09:15 PM   #9
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. I just logged on and shows good till 10/23/2024. Guess I will just take it in next week. Hopefully the new software update will not affect the exhaust over runs like I heard others express with software updates.
Fingers crossed the iDrive update to the latest version they apply resolves the issues. No worries though for you on the exhaust neutering as your current 11.2020.36 already incudes that "feature" and as far as I can tell BMW is no longer making any changes for that in the US.

FYI I just got bit by another BMW "cloud" faux pas which I'm going to start a new thread on so my bet is it still ties back to their incompetency in that realm.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 09:44 PM   #10
jm600rr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Fingers crossed the iDrive update to the latest version they apply resolves the issues. No worries though for you on the exhaust neutering as your current 11.2020.36 already incudes that "feature" and as far as I can tell BMW is no longer making any changes for that in the US.

FYI I just got bit by another BMW "cloud" faux pas which I'm going to start a new thread on so my bet is it still ties back to their incompetency in that realm.
Took the car in today and you may be right on it being a BMW cloud issue and not the car. Several cars at the dealer was having the same problem and some were fine. My loaner they gave me also has the same issue. They took the car anyway to test but seems to be a weird BMW service issue but not on every car. Weird.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 07:43 PM   #11
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Must be a systemwide thing. My 2021 M5 just lost Spotify last week too. The green circle used to show up on the top edge of the screen, now it's gone. I can see it in the Media menu, but it just sits there trying to load after I click on it, like others have mentioned. Comes in thru Android Auto, but it takes 5 minutes to pair everything up. Tried some of the fixes proffered here, to no avail.
Appreciate 0