M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos A few months ago I decided to buy a new car

01-26-2016, 08:45 AM   #23
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 E92, 17 X5M, 15 Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Does anything fit in the Porsche rear seats?
I could fit two kids in full size car seats in the back of my turbo.

As for golf clubs, there's no way I can see them fitting in the frunk.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 06:25 PM   #24
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
....I went to the dealer, and didn't see a single car I wanted to drive - for the first time ever. Lots of turbo4's, and cars like the 320i and x1 that are quite a departure from performance machines. I went to the Mini dealer, and was told that the new Mini engine is a BMW 4 cyl (albeit different intake or something). The mini was much more fun, but the suspension was lacking.

But I bought a Porsche instead - if you like what BMW used to be, try the Porsche.
Glad you're happy with the Porsche, I mean, hard to see why you wouldn't be.

But, as I commented in another thread, I feel this is a bit harsh view of BMW. Sure BMW lineup is diluted and pretty much everybody these days seem to have one (not the case 10-15 years ago) still I feel there's plenty to chose from in their lineup, other posters have provided a list which I pretty much agree with. And you know what, while driving in few "lesser BMW" loaners over the years, X1, 320, X3, and initially being underwhelmed by engine performance or look and feel, after few days, they still feel like a well balanced cars that are more enjoyable to drive than direct competition. Sure these are not performance cars, but, you know "apples to apples".

Mini's pretty cool, go cart feel can be exhilarating and fun for few hours at the time, but for me personally, harsh suspension, lots of hard plastic inside and road noise get very tiring after a day or two. Only Porsche I got to drive extensively was 2007 Boxter S and felt it handled absolutely fantastic and felt incredibly well built. Not "crazy" fast, but direct and heavy steering feel, good sounding engine, firm yet not too harsh suspension, what seems like endless grip in corners... etc....I can only imagine how much better it gets once you move up their lineup.

At the end of the day, most of us have a budget to stick to, and as others mentioned, lots of BMW cars perform well on track, while you can still golf, ski, mountain bike, go somewhere for the weekend with actual luggage take kids places, or in case of all stars aligning after night of partying bring home not one, but perhaps two "friends"
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #25
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPO1 View Post
You just described Porsche BTW. Car for the masses.

Macan to GT3RS...range for the masses. I mean come on, 21 versions of the 911 alone

But like any brand, BMW included, they have a RANGE of cars to appeal to all buyers and price points.

So yes BMW is for the 'masses' like Porsche, MB, Audi, etc.

If you want a 'non-masses' car you better turn your attention to Ferrari, Lambo, etc.
Well, not ALL price points.
Appreciate 0