M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion First service & Engine "whine" - also, bad luck.

08-29-2022, 07:56 AM   #1
Vinny49
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8GC (Frozen Pure Grey)

Garage List
2023 BMW M8GC  [0.00]
First service & Engine "whine" - also, bad luck.

Hey gang.

Took my M8GC in for its break-in service last Friday. When I got the car back, I took it out of the lot and heard what I can describe of as a "whine" as I was driving at low speed. It only occurs during acceleration and it is quite audible. I can only describe it as the sound a supercharged engine makes, but we're *clearly* not supercharged.

I brought it right back into the dealership who explained to me it was "turbo spooling" but this is incredibly suspect to me. My M760 never sounded like that but that said, I've never owned a full-fat M car before.

Going to capture some video later. Maybe it's something I shouldn't need to worry about.

Second, got my first black eye the day after. Driving home from a nice evening out with my wife, a branch came bouncing in my direction at 85+ on the highway. Hit the nose on the driver's side, putting a nice little gouge and scratches on the frozen paint and some good scuffs on the carbon fiber. Thankfully it didn't bounce up and hit the hood or windshield, though a cracked windshield is likely cheaper to replace than the CF and bumper.

Oof. What a weekend.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 09:04 AM   #2
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny49 View Post
Hey gang.

Took my M8GC in for its break-in service last Friday. When I got the car back, I took it out of the lot and heard what I can describe of as a "whine" as I was driving at low speed. It only occurs during acceleration and it is quite audible. I can only describe it as the sound a supercharged engine makes, but we're *clearly* not supercharged.

I brought it right back into the dealership who explained to me it was "turbo spooling" but this is incredibly suspect to me. My M760 never sounded like that but that said, I've never owned a full-fat M car before.

Going to capture some video later. Maybe it's something I shouldn't need to worry about.

Second, got my first black eye the day after. Driving home from a nice evening out with my wife, a branch came bouncing in my direction at 85+ on the highway. Hit the nose on the driver's side, putting a nice little gouge and scratches on the frozen paint and some good scuffs on the carbon fiber. Thankfully it didn't bounce up and hit the hood or windshield, though a cracked windshield is likely cheaper to replace than the CF and bumper.

Oof. What a weekend.
Have no experience with the whining noise. Yes, post a vid please. And bad luck for sure. Wow.
Appreciate 0