M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Remote 3D View in IOS App

02-13-2020, 08:09 PM   #45
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Had the update done at the dealer last week, no change. I will try the reset, but I wont hold my breath.
What was the update? Assuming new iDrive release vs what we can get over the air. Going to try the reset instructions but not holding my breath either as everything worked up until late December with no change on the car end or my Android (and iOS) app.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:44 PM   #46
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
What was the update? Assuming new iDrive release vs what we can get over the air. Going to try the reset instructions but not holding my breath either as everything worked up until late December with no change on the car end or my Android (and iOS) app.
BMW USA told me there was an non in car update that needs to be done at the dealership which is supposed to fix the remote 3d issues, it did not. The guys in service laughed at the connect stuff, said it works 50/50 at best.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 09:06 PM   #47
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
BMW USA told me there was an non in car update that needs to be done at the dealership which is supposed to fix the remote 3d issues, it did not. The guys in service laughed at the connect stuff, said it works 50/50 at best.
Thanks for the info. Coming from the outside in and forgetting the geniuses (hell they tried to instruct me on setting up Bluetooth connectivity with my phone which is a no-brainer configuration) it is not the app nor the car but the middleware in between.

For my specific case that middleware (noted in the app as the secure server) completely broke in late December. Everything worked after taking deliver on 12/9 for a couple of weeks and then error after error. My day gig is in Information Technology and based on that we have now found ourselves in the conundrum of finger pointing at what component is at fault in the failure but my experience states it's in the "middle" as neither endpoint has changed.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 09:26 PM   #48
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Coming from the outside in and forgetting the geniuses (hell they tried to instruct me on setting up Bluetooth connectivity with my phone which is a no-brainer configuration) it is not the app nor the car but the middleware in between.

For my specific case that middleware (noted in the app as the secure server) completely broke in late December. Everything worked after taking deliver on 12/9 for a couple of weeks and then error after error. My day gig is in Information Technology and based on that we have now found ourselves in the conundrum of finger pointing at what component is at fault in the failure but my experience states it's in the "middle" as neither endpoint has changed.
BMW "geniuses"...classic oxymoron

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 09:43 PM   #49
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
BMW "geniuses"...classic oxymoron
BMW is trying to emulate the Apple genius bar experience. As my son and I have both joked even in Apple's case it is a lack of genius on the delivery end. We took his Macbook Pro in for needed service and the "genius" behind the bar sat there for 20 minutes running diagnostics only to tell us what we already knew.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 04:02 PM   #50
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

My app actually began working, so perhaps the update at the dealership did the trick, contrary to what the "genius" said, who was essentially a waste of time to talk to. The Feature Requirement message I kept getting was still there but this time I checked do not show again and voila, it worked! Thing I noticed, I had the drivers door cracked ever so slightly in the garage and the image showed it open nearly all the way , and the color of the car was silver vs white.

Last edited by RJC-1; 02-16-2020 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 10:46 PM   #51
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My app actually began working, so perhaps the update at the dealership did the trick, contrary to what the "genius" said, who was essentially a waste of time to talk to. The Feature Requirement message I kept getting was still there but this time I checked do not show again and voila, it worked! Thing I noticed, I had the drivers door cracked ever so slightly in the garage and the image showed it open nearly all the way , and the color of the car was silver vs white.
Saw your post so thought I'd give it a go again. First off the car is always silver in the 3D view vs true color of the car from my experience when it worked. That said now my connectivity is completely broken. The app indicates the car hasn't "checked in" since 2/13 at 4:42 PM.

So figured I'd do the iDrive reset based on Wolfman64 directions. Did that and sure enough several screens through the 70 seconds with seemingly a last reboot. Updated the apps (took a few minutes until that was available) and executed that as well. No issues in the car doing any of that but the app said the car's last status was 2/13. Uninstalled and re-installed the app on my Pixel 3 XL and still the same outcome.

The only thing I can think of is the car is pissed off at me for hitting the parking garage wall as that was on 2/13 but the last check-in is when I parked it at the house at 4:42 PM. Drove the car several times this weekend and apparently all off the Connected Drive grid.

I'm going to deal with the PPF and ceramic coating replacement on the front bumper next week and then take it to the dealer. Side note is my wife's 2017 X5 is working fine from the app for all functions it supports. So WTF with a M850i that literally costs 2X the price?
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      02-16-2020, 11:06 PM   #52
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Saw your post so thought I'd give it a go again. First off the car is always silver in the 3D view vs true color of the car from my experience when it worked. That said now my connectivity is completely broken. The app indicates the car hasn't "checked in" since 2/13 at 4:42 PM.

So figured I'd do the iDrive reset based on Wolfman64 directions. Did that and sure enough several screens through the 70 seconds with seemingly a last reboot. Updated the apps (took a few minutes until that was available) and executed that as well. No issues in the car doing any of that but the app said the car's last status was 2/13. Uninstalled and re-installed the app on my Pixel 3 XL and still the same outcome.

The only thing I can think of is the car is pissed off at me for hitting the parking garage wall as that was on 2/13 but the last check-in is when I parked it at the house at 4:42 PM. Drove the car several times this weekend and apparently all off the Connected Drive grid.

I'm going to deal with the PPF and ceramic coating replacement on the front bumper next week and then take it to the dealer. Side note is my wife's 2017 X5 is working fine from the app for all functions it supports. So WTF with a M850i that literally costs 2X the price?
  • Thanks
  • LOL
  • ROFL

Appreciate 1
      02-17-2020, 01:06 PM   #53
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:

Bummer...

I'll get the software update tomorrow along with some recall work (wrong washer install on the anti sway bar I think)

Will report if there any improvements on our end.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 05:11 PM   #54
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Bummer...

I'll get the software update tomorrow along with some recall work (wrong washer install on the anti sway bar I think)

Will report if there any improvements on our end.
Looking forward to whether the software update helps or not. My issue is now the car completely is not functioning with the Connected app. Before this past week everything worked minus the 3D View. Now nothing is working as the car hasn't even reported in to the mother ship in over 4 days according to the app on the phone.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 05:55 PM   #55
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

fwiw mines is still working great and it appears the update at the dealership did do the trick.

Is there a remote start option? As I did not see one.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 06:02 PM   #56
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:

Is there a remote start option? As I did not see one.
Climatize Now is essentially the remote start option. It starts the engine, starts the a/c-heater, keeps the doors locked. When you get in the car, you just need to step on the brake and touch Start before putting the car into gear.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11281.00
      02-17-2020, 06:05 PM   #57
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Climatize Now is essentially the remote start option. It starts the engine, starts the a/c-heater, keeps the doors locked. When you get in the car, you just need to step on the brake and touch Start before putting the car into gear.
Thanks, will it take my wife to the mall?

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 06:14 PM   #58
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, will it take my wife to the mall?
Yes, and if it senses she has spent too much, it will return home without her.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4418.50
      02-17-2020, 06:16 PM   #59
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
lol

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 07:03 PM   #60
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
lol
Double down on the LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 07:13 PM   #61
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So here is yet one more asinine aspect of the BMW Connected Drive offering. On my Pixel 3 XL Android device "Climatize Now" is the only option and will indeed start the engine if necessary to do the job. On my work provided Apple iOS phone (running the latest version of the app, i.e., 10.4) there are two distinct options: "Start Engine Now" and "Schedule Remote Engine Start".

Of course in my case the M850i has been "off the grid" since 2/13 so the app on either phone will not do a damn thing.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 02-19-2020 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #62
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So here is yet one more asinine aspect of the BMW Connected Drive offering. On my Pixel 3 XL Android device "Climatize Now" is the only option and will indeed start the engine if necessary to do the job. On my work provided Apple iOS phone (running the latest version of the app, i.e., 10.4) there are two distinct options: "Start Engine Now" and "Schedule Remote Engine Start".

Of course in my case the M850i has been "off the grid" since 10/13 so the app on either phone will not do a damn thing.
Should have mentioned my phone is also ios and no start engine options...how can this be?

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 08:37 PM   #63
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

It is so confounding that so many owners with the same vehicle, the same software and the same phones experience such different results from Connected Drive. It’s just so...confounding.

(Mine now works properly most of the time, though it required repeated and obsessive action on my part during the first months of ownership.)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 11:24 AM   #64
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
So the car finally got it's 1200 mile run it service and the recall notice on the anti sway bar wasn't needed but they did NOT update the software to the current version as I expected (the Nov. version).

Upon inquiry, the SA advised that they are told to wait for for the March software update (non-OTA) which is supposed to fix many issues. Lot of complaints about connected drive.

The Reset procedure I had posted earlier is now the official potential workaround I am told.
I should mention that it states to hold the button exactly 70 seconds, not just at least 70 seconds.
If it didn't work the first time; try again...

Now waiting for March...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 07:46 PM   #65
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
So the car finally got it's 1200 mile run it service and the recall notice on the anti sway bar wasn't needed but they did NOT update the software to the current version as I expected (the Nov. version).

Upon inquiry, the SA advised that they are told to wait for for the March software update (non-OTA) which is supposed to fix many issues. Lot of complaints about connected drive.

The Reset procedure I had posted earlier is now the official potential workaround I am told.
I should mention that it states to hold the button exactly 70 seconds, not just at least 70 seconds.
If it didn't work the first time; try again...

Now waiting for March...
That's odd they didn't/wouldn't update, mine is working well post update, although I do not have the specific (non-climate) remote start options

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 11:01 PM   #66
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's odd they didn't/wouldn't update, mine is working well post update, although I do not have the specific (non-climate) remote start options
Good question. Maybe due to the car already having a recent software version?
Appreciate 0