M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion BMW M8 Competition reviews

10-09-2019, 03:35 PM   #45
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBMWBrian View Post
Check my post above. Base vs base, an M8 is ~$31k more than an M5. That's still a lot, but it certainly isn't $60k.

Also, the Competition Package on the M3/M4 was $4,750, and gave you 20hp, M Sport exhaust, revised front steering, revised suspension, revised rear diff, the 20" wheels, M seat belts, and extended shadowline trim.

The Competition version of the M8 gives you 17hp, peak torque 160rpm higher, revised suspension, stiffer engine mounts, more front negative camber, rear toe-link ball joints to replace bushings, M Sport exhaust, a "Track" setting for in-car electronics and driving aids, M seat belts, and different wheels.

For the sake of comparison, the Competition Package for the M6 was $8,300 and included similar upgrades. These same improvements on a much faster car with much higher levels of tech will cost more, but with this car competing a bit more upmarket, even further cost increase might have made sense to the company.
I understand your point about base to base comparison, but what comes to the showroom is likely what most of us will buy/lease and M8s certainly don't come at 130K MSRP.

Like I said, the M8 competition will be considered more fair valued if it topped at 150K. Going over 180K with CCBs and other resale-value-holding options added(I tried optioning them and it's pretty much everything) is pure absurdity.
      10-09-2019, 04:19 PM   #46
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbravo33 View Post
I was in the market for 3 cars few months ago. M8 Comp Cabrio, AMG GT63 S and 911 GT3. I would've had to wait for the first two but regardless I chose GT3 and I'm glad I did. I know the styles are completely different but they are my favorite from each company. For the price of each, 911 all day. No regrets and I won't lose 50% value in 3 years.

I think BMW's have taken a page from MB book. They seem to be more leasing type of vehicles than ownership. I would rather wait 2-3 years to pick one of these up. Plan on keeping GT3 for the long haul.
I absolutely approve of that choice!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 04:51 PM   #47
ghaffari46
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e90

I'll wait 2 years and buy a CPO one half price
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 06:11 PM   #48
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Looks like steering has been improved? C/D who are steering snobs like myself said good things about it, but then again, C/D will usually rave about something during prototype/first drives, but then find it to be rather meh during their instrument testing/full reviews. It will probably be similar to the M5, but not as good as an AMG GT or 911. Looks like the problem will now be with the brakes!
Yeah I read that, and like you I place little trust in "first drives." Everybody raves about cars at the press launch because they have to. Then after a couple months when the dust settles they start telling the truth.

I could care less about the brakes.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      10-09-2019, 08:30 PM   #49
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
$200k could go along way on a lot of different cars. I couldn't imagine spending that on a BMW unless I had a completely disposable income. I'm not a flashy, need attention kind of person but at that price point I would be looking in the used super car market for sure. Then again BMW is certainly not marketing for people of my status.

My M3 was $85 out the door and I picked it up used. By far my favorite car I've ever owned but would I consider paying the new price? I doubt it. Every time I put a drink in the flimsy cup hold that dumps my drink at every corner I think, really? This is what you'd get for $85k? I can't imagine the quirks in a $200k that would drive me nuts.

I'm frugal though.

-Mark
Agree completely, but in what country did you buy a used M3 for 85K?
Sorry, I meant that the original owner paid $85k new.

-Mark
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      10-10-2019, 03:36 AM   #50
pyrat15
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupé

Diluting the ///M brand

Well, for me, the optic is stunning. What I am not a fan of:

by constantly pushing the M Performance Models and putting the M badge in the model name of those cars (i.e. M240i, M850i etc.), they are totally diluting the M letter. To take the 8 series as an example, by putting a carbon roof on the M850i and give the car a lot of power, I understand that many people would choose the M850i as the price gap is huge. I think things would be different (beside the price tag) if the M850i would just be a 850i without carbon roof and hundreds of M badges (same goes for other series). If you take the last 6 series, there was a 650i top model and then came the M6.

Furthermore, why is BMW bringing the Competition Model at the same time and advertising only the comp model? I never saw a picture of the regular M8. I would first bring the M8 and a certain time later the Competition model, as they did in the past an which makes sense. Or just go for one model. In the earlier days, getting an M meant getting the best of the brand. Now theres the base model, competition package, CS (and GTS/CSL). Then there are the M Performance parts (i.e. brakes, dampers etc.) Why? I thought getting an M is getting a Motorsport car. Currently I get the feeling that you are getting a lumpy car and only by adding packages and PParts you have the car it should be.

Sad that BMW is going that way, as I am a huge fan as most of you are as well. Anybody who shares my thoughts?

I not not know... I think BMW stands in the way of themselves.

Last edited by pyrat15; 10-10-2019 at 07:06 AM..
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
jjasonSU194.00
      10-10-2019, 05:38 AM   #51
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrat15 View Post
Well, optics are sunning for me. What I am not a fan of:

by constantly pushing the M Performance Models and putting the M badge in the model name of those cars (i.e. M240i, M850i etc.), they are totally diluting the M letter. To take the 8 series as an example, by putting a carbon roof on the M850i and give the car a lot of power, I understand that many people would choose the M850i as the price gap is huge. I think things would be different (beside the price tag) if the M850i would just be a 850i without carbon roof and hundreds of M badges (same goes for other series). If you take the last 6 series, there was a 650i top model and then came the M6.

Furthermore, why is BMW bringing the Competition Model at the same time and advertising only the comp model? I never saw a picture of the regular M8. I would first bring the M8 and a certain time later the Competition model, as they did in the past an which makes sense. Or just go for one model. In the earlier days, getting an M meant getting the best of the brand. Now theres the base model, competition package, CS (and GTS/CSL). Then there are the M Performance parts (i.e. brakes, dampers etc.) Why? I thought getting an M is getting a Motorsport car. Currently I get the feeling that you are getting a lumpy car and only by adding packages and PParts you have the car it should be.

Sad that BMW is going that way, as I am a huge fan as most of you are as well. Anybody who shares my thoughts?

I not not know... I think BMW stands in the way of themselves.
Here in the UK, they didn't bother with the base M5, or the base M8. It's the comp or nothing, which makes sense and is based on previous sales from the F10 M5 etc, when they did offer both iterations. Ie the vast majority of punters bought the comp and not the base model.

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 05:43 AM   #52
GHollan921
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M8 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Quote:
I'll wait until they start sitting on the lots + massive discounting I.e. i8

Bmw will never learn.
I am sure it is in their strategy book.

Munich Bean counters be like "ooh, since the manufacturing cost is nearly the same as M5 we can still make profit with discounts. Cheers to za idiots who buy it in first year!"

They called it M8 to get more money rather than revive the heritage.
I hear you, but msrp won't mean shit. Take a look at the roadster.

This summer, you could have had a 170K i8 (still Can of the few left out there) for 900 a month, W/ 7 MSDs- on a 2 year; 10k miles lease.

Sales price/incentives to move old models will always force the dealers to show their hand. As consumers it requires patience however, which I am willing to wait until 2020 to pick one up at a much better price- than be one of the first few suckers stick with a 2200+ a month lease payment for THIS vehicle.

In the mean time. I'm still enjoying my i8 so I'll be good.
I'm buying one now and I'm not a sucker. I know what I like and I like this car. I don't have to wait to buy what I want just to save a few thousand dollars. You enjoy buying at a price and I enjoy buying what I want.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 05:52 AM   #53
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHollan921 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bmw will never learn.

Munich Bean counters be like "ooh, since the manufacturing cost is nearly the same as M5 we can still make profit with discounts. Cheers to za idiots who buy it in first year!"

This summer, you could have had a 170K i8 (still Can of the few left out there) for 900 a month, W/ 7 MSDs- on a 2 year; 10k miles lease.

Sales price/incentives to move old models will always force the dealers to show their hand. As consumers it requires patience however, which I am willing to wait until 2020 to pick one up at a much better price- than be one of the first few suckers stick with a 2200+ a month lease payment for THIS vehicle.

I'm buying one now and I'm not a sucker. I know what I like and I like this car. I don't have to wait to buy what I want just to save a few thousand dollars. You enjoy buying at a price and I enjoy buying what I want.
Congratulations. Someday I hope to earn as much as you where I don't have to budget my luxury ride(s) as I currently have an i8 and a hurcacan.

Enjoy your m8 one year earlier than I will, and my broke self will enjoy it at least half the cost as you.
      10-10-2019, 06:40 AM   #54
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I can see M5 vs M5 Comp make sense, some don't want the ride quality penalty, so think same can be argued for M8 GC, though for the regular coupe M8 or M4 I would think it's probably better to just have Comp
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #55
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

thanks for grouping them all together, makes it a lot easier to scroll through. M8 is a beast! love the interior as well

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 10:43 AM   #56
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

also don't forget Full Merino is include and optional on the base car. Trust me as i ordered my comp weeks ago.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #57
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
I can see M5 vs M5 Comp make sense, some don't want the ride quality penalty, so think same can be argued for M8 GC, though for the regular coupe M8 or M4 I would think it's probably better to just have Comp
I am not sure it does make sense. Who wants the "almost" car?

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #58
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
also don't forget Full Merino is include and optional on the base care. Trust me as i ordered my comp weeks ago.

Noushy
Full merino is a must have for the 8 series. Otherwise you get cheap hard plastic on the sides of the center console and lower half of the door panels.
      10-10-2019, 02:18 PM   #59
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
also don't forget Full Merino is include and optional on the base care. Trust me as i ordered my comp weeks ago.

Noushy
Full merino is a must have for the 8 series. Otherwise you get cheap hard plastic on the sides of the center console and lower half of the door panels.
Yes I was in a M850i GC and the hard red plastic was awful on the center sides

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 02:55 PM   #60
GHollan921
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M8 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bmw will never learn.

Congratulations. Someday I hope to earn as much as you where I don't have to budget my luxury ride(s) as I currently have an i8 and a hurcacan.

Enjoy your m8 one year earlier than I will, and my broke self will enjoy it at least half the cost as you.
I have what I want and that includes a jet. I'll have my fun a year earlier than you. You made my day. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #61
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bmw will never learn.

I have what I want and that includes a jet. I'll have my fun a year earlier than you. You made my day. Thanks!
Woowwwwww really?! Omgggg Dan Bilzerian is that you? Still not cooler than my flying skateboard and matching unicorn.

Not only have you proven to be a sucker- and will continue to be (in my eyes) but also a complete tool. So no no sir, kid- whatever you are- you made MY day! THANK YOU!

TFOH troll
      10-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #62
OTJeebus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3 M8cGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbravo33 View Post
I was in the market for 3 cars few months ago. M8 Comp Cabrio, AMG GT63 S and 911 GT3. I would've had to wait for the first two but regardless I chose GT3 and I'm glad I did. I know the styles are completely different but they are my favorite from each company. For the price of each, 911 all day. No regrets and I won't lose 50% value in 3 years.

I think BMW's have taken a page from MB book. They seem to be more leasing type of vehicles than ownership. I would rather wait 2-3 years to pick one of these up. Plan on keeping GT3 for the long haul.
I plan on keeping my gt3 for a long time as well. I love my DD m6gc and was hoping the m8gc would wow me, so far cant say I am in love with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 05:31 PM   #63
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 535i MSport View Post
Quote:
Me? My wife would absolutely think M5C as too harsh...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #64
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
I would, depending on which M vehicle is in question. I'm not in the market for an M8 at all but I'm considering an X3 M and I would 100% go for the non-competition version especially because I prefer the base X3 M wheels styling a LOT, love the fact that they're an inch smaller diameter, and I can live without the last bit of handling sharpness and the other upgrades in an SUV that already handles like M SUVs do. I always do a tune and exhaust upgrade so no sense paying extra to have those mildly upgraded and then thrown away.

The fact that BMW allows you to option the upgraded seats into the non-competition model is perfect for me.

I don't care if it's an "almost" model, I'm not spending this much of my paycheck to drive an M car for anybody else, I get the variant that suits my needs the best at the time and right now it seems like in some cases the non-Competition model suits me better. If I was looking at an M5, the M5 Competition is 100% for me, wheels are amazing, the ride is extremely comfortable (compared to my F80 M3 ZCP, anyways), and I appreciate the subtle handling upgrades in that model.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 12:08 AM   #65
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Me? My wife would absolutely think M5C as too harsh...
Okay your call. I have driven both and there wasn't that much difference between them. Maybe you have bad roads where you live....

Good job you don't live in the UK, you don't get a choice.

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 12:14 AM   #66
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Quote:
I would, depending on which M vehicle is in question. I'm not in the market for an M8 at all but I'm considering an X3 M and I would 100% go for the non-competition version especially because I prefer the base X3 M wheels styling a LOT, love the fact that they're an inch smaller diameter, and I can live without the last bit of handling sharpness and the other upgrades in an SUV that already handles like M SUVs do. I always do a tune and exhaust upgrade so no sense paying extra to have those mildly upgraded and then thrown away.

The fact that BMW allows you to option the upgraded seats into the non-competition model is perfect for me.

I don't care if it's an "almost" model, I'm not spending this much of my paycheck to drive an M car for anybody else, I get the variant that suits my needs the best at the time and right now it seems like in some cases the non-Competition model suits me better. If I was looking at an M5, the M5 Competition is 100% for me, wheels are amazing, the ride is extremely comfortable (compared to my F80 M3 ZCP, anyways), and I appreciate the subtle handling upgrades in that model.
Interesting.

In the UK you get an X3M C only, an M5 C only, and X5M C only, you get the idea.

So celebrate the fact you get a choice, you may not forever!

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0