M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion BMW M850i Carwow 0-60mph test

04-30-2019, 06:31 AM   #1
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

BMW M850i Carwow 0-60mph test

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Something a bit different from the Carwow team.

M850i test starts at 6:58 in video.

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 4
clee1982796.00
Vervain396.50
Wing Co239.00
Niko ZV118.00
      04-30-2019, 09:43 AM   #2
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Recorded with an iPhone: 0-60mph in 3.6s
      04-30-2019, 09:55 AM   #3
NYAWE60
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Turbo 6 speed

Can't wait for the M8. It's still not quite my cup of tea being a massive GT but there's no denying the acceleration and I highly commend anyone who buys one. A hammer, it certainly is.
2010 Toyota Prius - stealth mobile 140K miles since new and still 45 MPG
2017 Lexus GX460 - (gone) - easily one of the most reliable cars I?ve ever owned
2014 328i xDrive M-Sport - 270 WHP w/JB4 (gone)
2010 BMW 535i RWD - 400 WHP (gone)
1992 R32 Nissan Skyline GTR 500 WHP (gone)
1993 Toyota Supra TT 6 speed - 500 WHP (gone)
Appreciate 2
themnmd1687.00
Fitzy4GC111.00
      04-30-2019, 11:58 AM   #4
Fhey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

Garage List
2023 BMW M440i  [10.00]
Poor dog wasn't allowed in the M850i though.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 12:51 PM   #5
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYAWE60 View Post
Can't wait for the M8. It's still not quite my cup of tea being a massive GT but there's no denying the acceleration and I highly commend anyone who buys one. A hammer, it certainly is.
Massive sure, but it won't be a GT car. Thé i8 is a GT car and the 7 is a GT. But it's suspension tuning that matters not weight.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2019, 01:49 PM   #6
SoCalKarl
Drive It Like You Stole It
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
Quote:
Massive sure, but it won't be a GT car. Thé i8 is a GT car and the 7 is a GT. But it's suspension tuning that matters not weight.
Here comes a lot of hate. First that is one ugly dog. UGLY!!!!! Second, only a fool allows a dog into a M850. Dogs belong in trucks not high performance jewels like the 850. Why a gorgeous car. Dog not so much.
Appreciate 1
CAMOETO140.00
      04-30-2019, 02:46 PM   #7
jhigg85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Yas Marina Blue 15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKarl View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Here comes a lot of hate. First that is one ugly dog. UGLY!!!!! Second, only a fool allows a dog into a M850. Dogs belong in trucks not high performance jewels like the 850. Why a gorgeous car. Dog not so much.
I call BS or maybe DS on that. French Bull dogs are cute AF! And yes I said cute. Plus you must be a cat person definitely not a dog person because no dog lover would ever call any dog ugly. Cats can 100% ugly. Ever seen a hairless cat? Hell spawn....
Appreciate 2
Vervain396.50
CAMOETO140.00
      04-30-2019, 03:38 PM   #8
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhigg85 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I call BS or maybe DS on that. French Bull dogs are cute AF! And yes I said cute. Plus you must be a cat person definitely not a dog person because no dog lover would ever call any dog ugly. Cats can 100% ugly. Ever seen a hairless cat? Hell spawn....
Dogs with a smashed-in-face, that can hardly breathe are as about as ugly as it gets.

Far from cute.

04-30-2019, 05:04 PM   #9
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhigg85 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I do not have a dog in this fight. love the car. it is better than most people give it credit for. hairless cat aka mrs bigglesworth
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 09:24 PM   #10
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 10:40 PM   #11
JL95
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 ZCP

Quote:
Interesting approach there. Do you know any other 4200 lbs modern day sports car that we're not aware of By definition sports cars should be nimble and handle well, neither can be achieved with that weight penalty.

Lifelong bmw fan here but let's be real for a second, bmw doesn't make any sports cars period. ///M cars are either based on sedan or GT chassis. There's a difference between a very good sporty car vs pure bred sports car.

At best M8 or in this case m850i is a very nice fast luxury GT.

Last edited by JL95; 04-30-2019 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-01-2019, 05:37 AM   #12
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL95 View Post
Interesting approach there. Do you know any other 4200 lbs modern day sports car that we're not aware of By definition sports cars should be nimble and handle well, neither can be achieved with that weight penalty.

Lifelong bmw fan here but let's be real for a second, bmw doesn't make any sports cars period. ///M cars are either based on sedan or GT chassis. There's a difference between a very good sporty car vs pure bred sports car.

I hate that fact and I absolutely agree with you.
No matter how fast, quick, beautiful and luxorious BMW M cars are, BMW do not make any proper sports cars (properly fast, sports cars) and i'm not talking about the Z4. Something like a Black Series Mercedes or a GT3RS (please don't say M4 GTS, that thing doesn't even have a stereo)
2017 F86 X6M - Donington Grey
2024 F95 X5M Comp LCI - Isle of Man Green
Appreciate 2
      05-01-2019, 10:29 AM   #13
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
That's what modern electronic can do but lighter car is still more fun and tossable no matter what, really wish BMW bring out some lighter cars
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #14
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL95 View Post
Quote:

I respectfully disagree. Light weight is always going to be faster, this is true.

The M8 was designed from the ground up to win Le Mans. It costs 500million minimum to develop a GTE car and race it at Le Mans, so it's not like BMW didn't take it seriously.

ACO defines their race cars as 2 doors, production of 1 per week minimum, a suitcase size storage, 2 doors, 2 seats or 2+2.

Obviously the actual race car doesn't have a stereo or crystal shifting knob, or any of the 'luxury' of the Gentleman's racer. It weighs 2800 lbs. throw in safety and comfort crap and you'll find the extra 1000 lbs.

PW ratio: 5.6. The car is lowered compared to the M8 so it turns better but an M8 has to drive over city roads and the GT version does not.

It looks like the M8 if it's truly based on the M5 will have a 6.8 power to weight. They added more power to make up for the extra weight. However if the M8 is like the M6 it may end up weighing a few hundred less than the M5 and have a 6.1ish.

Meanwhile the 'lightweight' 'sports cars' of today: Miata is 12.7, BRZ: 15.5. Under 3k lbs. and the M5 stops in 97 ft. The Miata? 112 ft. Light weight Civic type R? 98 ft.

The size too is irrelevant. The bigger M cars allow for bigger aero dynamics even though drag is higher. The result is these big cars are super stable regarding pitch and roll especially when you brake and accelerate. Yeah, the big engines usually give a bit of understeer, but overall at the limit, for a high power car, you'll find it very very stable and intuitive to drive, the opposite of a 911.

If you overcook a turn in an M5 a slight lift of the gas or flick of the brake corrects, good luck in a light weight small car. Yeah light weight cars can change direction better faster. Yeah these cars hit a wall at high speed due to drag of their big size.

But the reality is on a track the M6 won spa and the M8 won Daytona because they're very stable and very easy to drive. Drama free at the limit. A corvette Z06 with 505 hp and 800 less lbs is a very wild beast and hard to tame.

The weight is a result of the V8/V10 if you count the older M5. It's also a result of the big wide chassis. But this isn't 1985 and the choices were made both because leaders want cabin space and because the Big M cars really are amazing chassis and the strengths can and have out weighed the weaknesses in race conditions.

If you took a 911 turbo 'the fastest' on paper and compared it to the 911 GT3 you'll find out what a GT actually means.

GT is set up for high speed long distance driving. Comfort at 100 mph. The turbo has soft suspension so it can hit a bump or pothole. If you did this in an M8 or 911 GT3 you'd break your trim.

I realIze with modern suspension you can push a button and you'll get a softer ride so an M5 can be happy on the autobahn and the Turbo will be happy on a track.

If you get in an i8 and try to track it though you'll realize it has the main GT car issue. It steers like a boat. All the weight goes to one side: you lose traction and speed. Same with the turbo. An M5 May have 2000 extra lbs over a Miata but it doesn't matter if the weight stays on the inside tires during a turn.

Another sort of easy look at GT vs Sportcar is the e89. Soft suspension despite being way smaller than the M6. If you redo the springs for tracking you'll find you're left with the flaws of the small but powerful cars of being difficult to manage.

The other thing is light cars have small engines and those engines also hit a drag wall pretty early. The M8 hits a drag wall well before its competition like the 488 and 911 but way after the light weight cars people think are proper sports cars.

Anyway rant over. You want a light weight car fine and great, but I love the ease and refinement of tracking a big boi. Just don't insult these cars when they are truly fast and amazing sportscars with a lot of thought put in to them including size. They have drag and braking weakness compared to 911 and 488 but they can make up for it with strengths that come from size too.

I suppose if your just racing on some on ramps or neighborhoods or whatever you might not appreciate the big M cars dynamics
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 09:10 AM   #15
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Is 911 unpredictable, the old ones yea but not the modern ones

Edit and when I say old I mean like pre 993 kind of old
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 09:52 PM   #16
Mr_Burt
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X6 M50d (F16), i3 REx, M850i (

I thought it was interesting that CarWow could not get their GPS to work in the G15. I have mixed results with GPS devices and the front windscreen in my M850i.

In the dead centre of the front screen I can get GPS for my Blackvue, but cannot get a signal for the Cheetah C500 anywhere in the front, and need a external antenna that leads to the rear window. From there I get a perfect GPS signal. My iPhone picks up GPS anywhere in the front of the car.

Does anyone else see different GPS reception for different devices? I did wonder if the CarWow test was subject to the same GPS signal discrimination?
Appreciate 0