M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion New Found Love For the BMW Assistant

02-24-2020, 08:57 PM   #1
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
New Found Love For the BMW Assistant

Granted that I'm old school and do not often use the Google Assistant on my Pixel 3 XL or Siri on my work iPhone X but I've found the BMW Assistant to be quite useful. In the case of my cell phones it is easier just to execute what I want via traditional methods vs wasting my time speaking to their assistants as my focus to do so (even if multi-tasking at the time) is not an issue.

I discovered early on with the M850i that I could have the BMW assistant tune to my favorite SiriusXM stations without issue. However, over the past week (with extensive testing) I've discovered it can also play back anything I throw at it from my extensive high resolution FLAC catalog on the 1TB SSD in the center console. Granted there is a bit of delay and sometimes clarification, e.g., "play Chris Rea Road To Hell" prompts me to pick from the title track vs the album itself. However, when you're driving at 60 MPH plus in traffic it is a godsend vs manipulating the iDrive interface.
Appreciate 3
limeypride4418.50
Tejael64.00
      02-24-2020, 08:59 PM   #2
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Ask it to dim your psngr side mirror...

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 09:02 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Ask it to dim your psngr side mirror...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:33 PM   #4
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Have you asked it to replace @ in your password with an ‘a’? Seriously thanks for the tip, I have not even tried it other than to do things like “call mum”.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:51 PM   #5
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Granted that I'm old school and do not often use the Google Assistant on my Pixel 3 XL or Siri on my work iPhone X but I've found the BMW Assistant to be quite useful. In the case of my cell phones it is easier just to execute what I want via traditional methods vs wasting my time speaking to their assistants as my focus to do so (even if multi-tasking at the time) is not an issue.

I discovered early on with the M850i that I could have the BMW assistant tune to my favorite SiriusXM stations without issue. However, over the past week (with extensive testing) I've discovered it can also play back anything I throw at it from my extensive high resolution FLAC catalog on the 1TB SSD in the center console. Granted there is a bit of delay and sometimes clarification, e.g., "play Chris Rea Road To Hell" prompts me to pick from the title track vs the album itself. However, when you're driving at 60 MPH plus in traffic it is a godsend vs manipulating the iDrive interface.
Agreed. It's no "Siri", "Alexa", etc. but it's not far off. Comprehension speed irritates me a little but, as you say, compared to dialing an address in to the nav system, it's leaps and bounds in front.

Every morning, I say, "Hey Max, navigate to work". Every evening, I say, "Hey Max, take me home". Every time she (silently) determines the optimal route and steers me around traffic. Bliss. Combine that with near-perfect response gesture controls and all I have to say is, "AMG who?".

PS: the fact that my M5 kicks the snot out of any tuned AMG is also a bonus!
Appreciate 2
Tejael64.00
      02-25-2020, 04:51 PM   #6
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

I don't have gestures controls because there is no roof. And BMW assistances does have a hard time hearing me with the top down on my convertible.

But with the roof up or at slow speed, it does work well. I just wish I knew all the commands it could do. I need like a list of commands.

However, 90% of the time it can't hear me correctly at 60 mph with the top down, even windows up.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 10:16 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Agreed. It's no "Siri", "Alexa", etc. but it's not far off. Comprehension speed irritates me a little but, as you say, compared to dialing an address in to the nav system, it's leaps and bounds in front.

Every morning, I say, "Hey Max, navigate to work". Every evening, I say, "Hey Max, take me home". Every time she (silently) determines the optimal route and steers me around traffic. Bliss. Combine that with near-perfect response gesture controls and all I have to say is, "AMG who?".

PS: the fact that my M5 kicks the snot out of any tuned AMG is also a bonus!
How do you handle the "work" aspect? A contact in your phone accessible via bluetooth to iDrive? As far as I can tell, the Nav system only allows for a defined home setting (mine's 5 houses down the street given I'm security anal).
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 12:15 AM   #8
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How do you handle the "work" aspect? A contact in your phone accessible via bluetooth to iDrive? As far as I can tell, the Nav system only allows for a defined home setting (mine's 5 houses down the street given I'm security anal).
<soapbox>On the 'security' topic that I think is of professional interest to us both: the industry as a whole has embraced an 'assume breach' philosophy to help ensure that we also (although my subjective opinion is--> primarily) focus our attention on the assets, not the entry point. The edge isn't perceived as the primary (or worse, 'only') security boundary anymore as it's been for decades (firewalls/VPNs/IPsec/NLA/802.1x/etc.). Instead, identity and assets are now the focus. I apply that same philosophy that I helped design and bring to fruition in product form to my digitally-protected home rather than focus on preventing someone all-too-easily determining where my home is (with or without my car): asset vs. discovery + entry point. Net net: apologies for the kinda-mantra but I'm not with you on that one, dude!

// EDIT: there's a good (probably only subjectively 'good' for @bloozemanAZ and me but...) read on it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/secu...ess/zero-trust
</soapbox>

The home/work/office keywords confound the $hit out of me--I can say "hey Max, take me home"... and off we go. If I replace "home" with "to work"... she tells me my "office" (not "work") location has not been defined implying it clearly understands the noun is 'special' in the same way 'home' is... but like you said, where do we define that? If I say, "hey Max, navigate to work", it all works perfectly. I've defined the notion of "home" to the car so I get that, but I've tried various ways to do the same with "work" and "office" and yet they behave entirely differently. Perhaps I should try Neanderthal grammar: "TAKE ME WORK"... mmm, I've genuinely not tried that. Tomorrow we shall see.

Last edited by limeypride; 02-26-2020 at 12:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:26 AM   #9
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
<soapbox>On the 'security' topic that I think is of professional interest to us both: the industry as a whole has embraced an 'assume breach' philosophy to help ensure that we also (although my subjective opinion is--> primarily) focus our attention on the assets, not the entry point. The edge isn't perceived as the primary (or worse, 'only') security boundary anymore as it's been for decades (firewalls/VPNs/IPsec/NLA/802.1x/etc.). Instead, identity and assets are now the focus. I apply that same philosophy that I helped design and bring to fruition in product form to my digitally-protected home rather than focus on preventing someone all-too-easily determining where my home is (with or without my car): asset vs. discovery + entry point. Net net: apologies for the kinda-mantra but I'm not with you on that one, dude!

// EDIT: there's a good (probably only subjectively 'good' for @bloozemanAZ and me but...) read on it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/secu...ess/zero-trust
</soapbox>

The home/work/office keywords confound the $hit out of me--I can say "hey Max, take me home"... and off we go. If I replace "home" with "to work"... she tells me my "office" (not "work") location has not been defined implying it clearly understands the noun is 'special' in the same way 'home' is... but like you said, where do we define that? If I say, "hey Max, navigate to work", it all works perfectly. I've defined the notion of "home" to the car so I get that, but I've tried various ways to do the same with "work" and "office" and yet they behave entirely differently. Perhaps I should try Neanderthal grammar: "TAKE ME WORK"... mmm, I've genuinely not tried that. Tomorrow we shall see.
Nope. Neanderthal didn't work either. Sigh.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 07:59 PM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I don't have gestures controls because there is no roof. And BMW assistances does have a hard time hearing me with the top down on my convertible.

But with the roof up or at slow speed, it does work well. I just wish I knew all the commands it could do. I need like a list of commands.

However, 90% of the time it can't hear me correctly at 60 mph with the top down, even windows up.
Interesting as the gesture control cameras are in the mirror base but I guess with the convertible BMW figured they may not be functional when the top is down given too much ambient lighting, etc.

Side note is my favorite gestures are mute and skip track (forward and back) which work great with the SSD source in the console. Find myself sometimes executing to no avail and then realizing I'm on a SiriusXM station.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 08:08 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

</soapbox>
With you completely being the perimeter is swiss cheese and it is all about the endpoints. Have been driving a zero trust security model over the past 10 years in my corporate life for all of the IT assets involved. Throw in one of those endpoints is the human aspect and here comes the Phishing, social engineering, etc. education.

As for the home address in a Nav system, long sad story but an experience a good friend of mine had when he was out of town and his car stolen from an ORD parking lot changed my habits completely. The perpetrators guided home via the Nav as they figured "hey they are on a trip", usage of the home-link garage door opener built into the mirror to gain access and ultimately the discovery of his wife in the house enough said.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 08:14 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oddly enough I tried "take me to work" today and got the same response regarding the "office" location not being set. I've been pursuing some other forums on the topic and there is a theory it is the Connected Drive aspect with "learning mode" enabled so it understands the patterns just like Apple/Android. Hence, state "navigate to work" it is pulling that pattern from Connected Drive history, i.e., where one goes every morning.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 09:49 PM   #13
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

</soapbox>
With you completely being the perimeter is swiss cheese and it is all about the endpoints. Have been driving a zero trust security model over the past 10 years in my corporate life for all of the IT assets involved. Throw in one of those endpoints is the human aspect and here comes the Phishing, social engineering, etc. education.

As for the home address in a Nav system, long sad story but an experience a good friend of mine had when he was out of town and his car stolen from an ORD parking lot changed my habits completely. The perpetrators guided home via the Nav as they figured "hey they are on a trip", usage of the home-link garage door opener built into the mirror to gain access and ultimately the discovery of his wife in the house enough said.
Ugh.

That sucks. Sorry, dude.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:16 PM   #14
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quote:

</soapbox>

the home address in a Nav system, long sad story but an experience a good friend of mine had when he was out of town and his car stolen from an ORD parking lot changed my habits completely. The perpetrators guided home via the Nav as they figured "hey they are on a trip", usage of the home-link garage door opener built into the mirror to gain access and ultimately the discovery of his wife in the house enough said.[/QUOTE]

I've always wondered about this. Not to be confrontational but can't they just open the glove box and find something like the registration with your address on it??

Maybe I'm the only one that keeps my insurance and Registration and car stuff in the unlocked glove box. Guess maybe keep it locked?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:15 PM   #15
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I've always wondered about this. Not to be confrontational but can't they just open the glove box and find something like the registration with your address on it??

Maybe I'm the only one that keeps my insurance and Registration and car stuff in the unlocked glove box. Guess maybe keep it locked?
Good point as also very viable as well and likely a variable of the perpetrator's skill set. Case-in-point my glove box is now locked as I too have my registration in it and it is not like I need to access it vs day-to-day storage is the center console.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2020, 09:33 PM   #16
Dr.T
Rep
Drives: M850i

I use the close-and-open-fist gesture to instantly start home navigation.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:35 PM   #17
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.T View Post
I use the close-and-open fist gesture to instantly start home navigation.
The 2020 M5 Comp doesn't permit gesture assignment to nav destinations--nice, I shall give that a try when I pick the M8C GC up.

Seems like there's going to be more of a learning curve to the M8's iDrive than I thought... yay!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:44 PM   #18
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nope. Neanderthal didn't work either. Sigh.
I have been determined to figure this out and cracked the nut this evening. Given the Assistant prompting for "office" not being set and asking for the contact it is definitely tied to the contact list downloaded from any connected mobile phone(s).

The first attempt was to create a contact of Office on my Pixel 3XL which included the address. Forced a contact sync but it did not show up. Deleted the Pixel 3XL from the devices in the car and repaired. However, the contact still did not show up. I then figured it may need a first and last name in the contact info so created a new contact on my phone with the company name spread across both first and last name along with the address. Rinse and repeat the contact sync and delete/re-pair but it still did not show up in the car's contact list.

At this point I surmised the lack of syncing/loading is due to there is not a phone number associated with the contact. Added my office line to the contact created with the company name and sure enough with a forced sync it showed up in the car. I then tried "Hey Beast take me to work" (my wife nicknamed the car) and once again the Assistant said "the office location has not been set" and prompted for the contact. I voiced the new contact with my company name and the Assistant prompted for confirmation.

That out of the way I tried both "take me to the office" and "take me to work" and it all worked flawlessly.

On a separate note has anybody had similar prompting from iDrive as per this thread https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?t=1639315? I had opened up the privacy permissions to everything during the original Connected Drive failures so it has had plenty of time to learn my home->work and work->home driving practices but I've never seen any prompting as per the thread.

I checked and with the privacy settings wide open it includes Connected Learning. Now that the special character issue has been resolved will be dialing in my original privacy settings and nuking all big brother aspects (including Connected Learning).
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:52 PM   #19
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.T View Post
I use the close-and-open-fist gesture to instantly start home navigation.
Have used it as well for the shits and giggles aspect. My favorite gestures are swipe away a call (I do not want to be interrupted in my enjoyment of the drive and amazing B&W audio experience) and the skip tracks when listening to my FLAC source on the SSD in the console.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 10:16 PM   #20
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have been determined to figure this out and cracked the nut this evening. Given the Assistant prompting for "office" not being set and asking for the contact it is definitely tied to the contact list downloaded from any connected mobile phone(s).

The first attempt was to create a contact of Office on my Pixel 3XL which included the address. Forced a contact sync but it did not show up. Deleted the Pixel 3XL from the devices in the car and repaired. However, the contact still did not show up. I then figured it may need a first and last name in the contact info so created a new contact on my phone with the company name spread across both first and last name along with the address. Rinse and repeat the contact sync and delete/re-pair but it still did not show up in the car's contact list.

At this point I surmised the lack of syncing/loading is due to there is not a phone number associated with the contact. Added my office line to the contact created with the company name and sure enough with a forced sync it showed up in the car. I then tried "Hey Beast take me to work" (my wife nicknamed the car) and once again the Assistant said "the office location has not been set" and prompted for the contact. I voiced the new contact with my company name and the Assistant prompted for confirmation.

That out of the way I tried both "take me to the office" and "take me to work" and it all worked flawlessly.

On a separate note has anybody had similar prompting from iDrive as per this thread https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?t=1639315? I had opened up the privacy permissions to everything during the original Connected Drive failures so it has had plenty of time to learn my home->work and work->home driving practices but I've never seen any prompting as per the thread.

I checked and with the privacy settings wide open it includes Connected Learning. Now that the special character issue has been resolved will be dialing in my original privacy settings and nuking all big brother aspects (including Connected Learning).
Got most of that but not clear on one piece: we know "home" and "work" have special meaning--they're well-known nouns--how did you get from adding a contact on the phone to the car prompting for confirmation that this is the work address?

More importantly, it's time for Star Trek Picard--back in an hour so...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 11:18 PM   #21
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Got most of that but not clear on one piece: we know "home" and "work" have special meaning--they're well-known nouns--how did you get from adding a contact on the phone to the car prompting for confirmation that this is the work address?

More importantly, it's time for Star Trek Picard--back in an hour so...
As discussed before the "home" construct is set directly within the iDrive system but it has no construct whatsoever to save the "work" address. That is where the uploaded contacts from a Bluetooth connected phone come into play. Once you have a properly configured contact in the phone (as per my trial and error in my post) it is sync'd to the car.

Thus, when you ask for navigation to work the assistant will state the "office" location has not been set. The assistant will then follow with identifying the contact to associate with "office" (which comes from the uploaded contacts from a Bluetooth connected phone). Voice the contact name with your work address and the correlation is made after confirming the selection. Once set up the voice commands of "take me to work" or "take me to the office" all work flawlessly.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 12:06 AM   #22
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As discussed before the "home" construct is set directly within the iDrive system but it has no construct whatsoever to save the "work" address. That is where the uploaded contacts from a Bluetooth connected phone come into play. Once you have a properly configured contact in the phone (as per my trial and error in my post) it is sync'd to the car.

Thus, when you ask for navigation to work the assistant will state the "office" location has not been set. The assistant will then follow with identifying the contact to associate with "office" (which comes from the uploaded contacts from a Bluetooth connected phone). Voice the contact name with your work address and the correlation is made after confirming the selection. Once set up the voice commands of "take me to work" or "take me to the office" all work flawlessly.
Sorry, bud, your language choices/explanations aren't working for me.

Perhaps you could start by explaining how/why the car considers "office" and "work" synonyms if neither are formally defined in the same way as "home" is?
Appreciate 0