M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion iDrive Upgrade To 07/2020

01-08-2021, 02:55 PM   #89
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
I think the answer is more simple than we think. If several (nit just 1-2) have reported having lost their "glorious exhaust sound" - the REAL natural one, not the artificial from the cabin controllable option (for those who had/have it), then there is some truth to that. User feedbacks and 1st hand experience is the solid basis to go from, not just relying on some theoretical stuff only because 1 dealer said something. Often we get discrepant answers from dealers - and yes even from those we trust because ultimately it is the users/DRIVERS that pay the most attention to their own car and know every little bit and byte of their ride/s.
I've finally received the dreaded upgrade notification. What was the conclusion here: did it affect pops and bangs on M-models or otherwise spoil/ruin something else?

[IMG][/IMG]
Upgrade complete. Coding gone. CarPlay improvements with nav in HUD are cool—nothing else jumped out at me beyond the voice assistant doing a few more things.

Back to the topic: burbles are unchanged; just as frequent and loud as they were before.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2021, 03:01 PM   #90
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
Coding gone.
Damn it. I am getting SO tired of this.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2021, 03:04 PM   #91
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Quote:
Coding gone.
Yeah. It's irritating but I get why it happens. Luckily, the remote software upgrades are few and far between.

Most other settings were preserved. Oddly, M2 was preserved but M1 wasn't. :
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 03:20 PM   #92
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Quote:
Upgrade complete. Coding gone. CarPlay improvements with nav in HUD are cool—nothing else jumped out at me beyond the voice assistant doing a few more things.

Back to the topic: burbles are unchanged; just as frequent and loud as they were before.

I guess you already had Android Auto then (2020 model right)?
Very good in all - "damage limited" so to say as coding is the least one can expect to lose. So you confirm what Noushy (also usually precise in his feedbacks) reported thus no changes to exhaust sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #93
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Indeed it's annoying but think of those (like me) who lose or lost their flash ecu tune and must go back to their trusted tuning company in order to get the DME programmed again....
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 03:25 PM   #94
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Indeed it's annoying but think of those (like me) who lose or lost their flash ecu tune and must go back to their trusted tuning company in order to get the DME programmed again....
That's wayyyyyy worse. Sorry, dude.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 03:38 PM   #95
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:

For sure.

Yes and then again right now with the current DMEs is a tough and risky choice going this path and opting for a flashtune vs. a piggyback. My tuning experiences (via flashtune) have been great in all respects with my previous cars (N54, N55, N63TU engines). I always liked the 100% self-service tuning option without having to fiddle inside the engine compartment (though with the right experience a piggyback can be installed in minutes I know). I was, and still am, in the hope that these newer DMEs will be unlocked "more easily" in the future as was the case for the older units when applying flashtunes via OBD such as the options offered via the MHD and the BM3.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 05:54 PM   #96
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Quote:
That's 10x worst.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 05:58 PM   #97
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

For sure.

Yes and then again right now with the current DMEs is a tough and risky choice going this path and opting for a flashtune vs. a piggyback. My tuning experiences (via flashtune) have been great in all respects with my previous cars (N54, N55, N63TU engines). I always liked the 100% self-service tuning option without having to fiddle inside the engine compartment (though with the right experience a piggyback can be installed in minutes I know). I was, and still am, in the hope that these newer DMEs will be unlocked "more easily" in the future as was the case for the older units when applying flashtunes via OBD such as the options offered via the MHD and the BM3.
I think the days of obd tunes are gone. They will need a bench unlocked and void everything. They have changed the equation. Before ECU was a no brainer over piggyback. Now piggy back is more stealth than ECU.

You're going to have to choose: 1) less power and a piggyback or (2) full unlock and race mode with top speed unlimited ECU, but voided warranty.

If you can afford a bmw, you can afford to buy it twice. Also the dealerships near me are extremely difficult to work with. For me, it's a easy solution.

Pop the cap, and get the ECU bench unlocked.
Appreciate 1
FBMWWINS603.50
      01-08-2021, 05:59 PM   #98
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Remember even with piggybacks, BMW can still tell if the engine was operating outside its set parameter at anytime.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2021, 07:36 PM   #99
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

Quote:

I can say that the burbles/pops not changed with the 7/2020 update.sound the same as before.
And now I have android auto finally
Appreciate 2
limeypride4418.50
RJC-11279.50
      01-08-2021, 08:21 PM   #100
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctelimad View Post
Quote:

I can say that the burbles/pops not changed with the 7/2020 update.sound the same as before.
nice
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 08:45 PM   #101
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good news. So why some getting neutered and others not?

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 09:22 PM   #102
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Dont know to be honest. Mine is an M8 maybe the M850 people who gets affected the most.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 10:57 PM   #103
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Dont know to be honest. Mine is an M8 maybe the M850 people who gets affected the most.
I'm wondering the same. Zero effect on exhaust note and exhaust entertainment value.

Idrive updates were worth it, though.

Now for the coding restoration...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 11:42 PM   #104
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm wondering the same. Zero effect on exhaust note and exhaust entertainment value.

Idrive updates were worth it, though.

Now for the coding restoration...
If it's being done for noise regs it should affect them all, no?

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 09:25 AM   #105
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Check your settings then. You should be able to deactivate this feature. From the “General Settings” menu, select “Remote Software Upgrade”. From the “Remote Software Upgrade” menu, select “Deactivate function now”.
Thanks, but that "deactivate function" option is not available through my current 03/2020 software. The update has been automatically downloaded, but I have some hope that I may be able to avoid installing it. We shall see.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 10:37 AM   #106
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Check your settings then. You should be able to deactivate this feature. From the “General Settings” menu, select “Remote Software Upgrade”. From the “Remote Software Upgrade” menu, select “Deactivate function now”.
Thanks, but that "deactivate function" option is not available through my current 03/2020 software. The update has been automatically downloaded, but I have some hope that I may be able to avoid installing it. We shall see.
Keep us posted

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 11:14 AM   #107
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Then also check the section where you must give consent and agree thus. There should be the remote software upgrades too and there you can deny consent and in that way upgrades will not get pushed through unless you manually change the setting and revoke that.

"Can BMW install a BMW Remote Software Upgrade in my vehicle without my consent?"

NO. A BMW Remote Software Upgrade will only be carried out with your prior consent in the user menu of your vehicle.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2021, 12:10 PM   #108
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Given mine and other's feedback, why don't you want the update?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 12:30 PM   #109
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep

Based on feedbacks here of those who have updated, it appears the M850i are affected way more and the M8 not at all or only slightly. He has an M850i so in that case the exhaust will most likely get "silenced". For M8 models there seems to be no difference in exhaust sound (after update) except for one forum member (Azlar) in the previously pointed thread reporting he can hear the difference in sound for the worse. Unless I have missed other M8 owners who complained I cannot recall any except the mentioned one. But with the M850i I think we can pretty much "safely" say it will be affected and after updating, the loud pops and bangs, burbles and so on very present and alive in comfort mode with the 2019.XX software levels will be, are a thing of the past. Now as for the reason why BMW is targeting the M850ies rather than the M8s, could be that an M car is SUPPOSED to pop and bag and be "loud" out of the box whereas you would expect that way less from an M850i or hardly and certainly not in comfort mode. Just my take on why this distinction is being made.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2021, 12:48 PM   #110
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Given mine and other's feedback, why don't you want the update?
Hi. I don’t need Android Auto, don’t want to risk losing my burbles, can do without CarPlay maps in the HUD, and don’t want to spend the time and effort re-coding my car and waiting for whatever bugs haven’t yet been found in the update to ...be found in the update.

Shorter version: After investing considerable angst and energy in resolving previous BMW software bugs, my car ain’t broken so I see no reason to fix it.

RJC: So far, I have been successful in “postponing” installation of the update that was automatically downloaded. I’ll update as developments develop (or, preferably for me, don’t develop).
Appreciate 3
RJC-11279.50
limeypride4418.50