M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Help. Hit Big Pothole

05-14-2008, 08:14 AM   #1
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Help. Hit Big Pothole

I was going pretty fast in heavy traffic and hit a big pothole.

The tire now has a bulge in the sidewall, its not real far out, but you can see it, I can also tell by the feel of the car when driving. It hit SO HARD that a 6" area on the wheel lip/rim is black from tire rubber. The wheel doesn't look damaged, but I don't know.

This isn't a BMW, its my 07 Civic Si with Michelin HX MXM4 Pilot 215/45VR/17" I was going to rotate the tires very soon as my cornering habits have rounded the front tires more then I wanted. What should I do? This tire @ Honda is $235 plus tax, mount, balance. @Tirerack the tire is $208 plus shipping, then mount/balance. I was thinking about getting 2 new tires, but not the same brand, something @ Tirerack in the same catagory. I could get 2 diff tires for the same price as 1 Michelin.

I just hate replacing only 1 tire and I don't want to spend over $500 on 2 Michelins. With only 6400 miles on the car/tires should I just get 1 new Michelin and put that and the other front tire in the back?

Thanks for any input, I appreciate it.

I also have heard if you contact D.O.T. they have forms that you can fill out so I can get reimbursed for the cost. I don't know about this either as this has never happened to me. :iono::iono:
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 08:19 AM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post

The tire now has a bulge in the sidewall, its not real far out, but you can see it, I can also tell by the feel of the car when driving. It hit SO HARD that a 6" area on the wheel lip/rim is black from tire rubber. The wheel doesn't look damaged, but I don't know.

This isn't a BMW, its my 07 Civic Si with Michelin HX MXM4 Pilot 215/45VR/17" I was going to rotate the tires very soon as my cornering habits have rounded the front tires more then I wanted. What should I do? This tire @ Honda is $235 plus tax, mount, balance. @Tirerack the tire is $208 plus shipping, then mount/balance. I was thinking about getting 2 new tires, but not the same brand, something @ Tirerack in the same catagory. I could get 2 diff tires for the same price as 1 Michelin.

I just hate replacing only 1 tire and I don't want to spend over $500 on 2 Michelins. With only 6400 miles on the car/tires should I just get 1 new Michelin and put that and the other front tire in the back?

Thanks for any input, I appreciate it.

I also have heard if you contact D.O.T. they have forms that you can fill out so I can get reimbursed for the cost. I don't know about this either as this has never happened to me. :iono::iono:
A bulge, any bulge on a tire means it is not safe. Period. Limp to your tire dealer and get the tire replaced, and the wheel checked. Check around for a pair of used radials, although you should not mix up tires of different specs on any car.

1983 E21 Delphin, M10, 5 speed, LSD, MSW wheels, recaro seats, Hartge strut brace, rear sway bar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

Thanks, I know. I will check Ebay. Good idea.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 09:32 AM   #4
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

I have searched everywhere, no luck, crap.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 09:41 AM   #5
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

I guess I better just get a new tire. A big place near me has it in stock for $245 with tax, mount/balance. Thanks anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 09:41 AM   #6
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

SInce you are eventually thinking of selling or trading (and will almost certainly be within the life of your tires), you really should stick to getting a new tire that matches. Any time there are mismatched tires, it is a huge hit on a trade and most private buyers will not be happy either.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
SInce you are eventually thinking of selling or trading (and will almost certainly be within the life of your tires), you really should stick to getting a new tire that matches. Any time there are mismatched tires, it is a huge hit on a trade and most private buyers will not be happy either.

i agree completely...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I just had a brand new tire put on. The same OEM Michelin tire. $244 with tax mount/balance. The damaged tire unmounted shows no damage? I guess when filling it with air it does. But I looked very closely in and out and I can't see anything wrong? I don't get it. $244
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #9
hector
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 330ci, e92 335i, 2008 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post

The tire now has a bulge in the sidewall...
Confucius say:he who pull out too fast leave rubber behind.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

HAHAHA.YES
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 08:51 AM   #11
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962
I just had a brand new tire put on. The same OEM Michelin tire. $244 with tax mount/balance. The damaged tire unmounted shows no damage? I guess when filling it with air it does. But I looked very closely in and out and I can't see anything wrong? I don't get it. $244
The sidewall is damaged inside and is weaker and cannot resist the air pressue. When it is unmounted, it reverts to normal. Often, it is the layers that are separating (inside and outside look the same) and it would have most likely spread.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 09:22 AM   #12
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

So replacing it was a good idea. The slight bulge in the sidewall would have probably gotten worse.

I searched for IL. DOT department of transportation and found a phone number to call. When I called the number a recorded message asked for name, address, phone number, they are mailing me a form to fill out from the pothole damage. I might get my $244 back. I have heard this works but takes months. I am on a very tight budget paying off massive Visa debt so I can save for ordering a 135i in Jan/Feb 09.

Thanks for the reply Sheriff.
Appreciate 0